Next week on Grand Cayman..

I am spending a week on Grand Cayman starting on Tuesday. We are staying on the East End away from the party scene. No children, just the two of us. We want to mostly relax and catch some sunshine and alcohol, but on one day we want to rent a car and see the island. Not so much the touristy stuff, but local island culture.

Any tips from previous visitors? Any good places to exchange currency without getting ripped off? (I understand that cash is king in the Caribbean). What are some places to see? Places to stay away from?

I got married at the Grand Old House. I love the Caymans. If you are into diving/snorkeling then definitely hit up stringray city.

Try the rum cake. I’d see the sister Islands as well. Also the beach at cemetery reef is good.

My fathers family was born and still lives in George Town. You’re perfectly fine using a credit card anywhere on the island. East End is nice and quiet but a good 45 minutes away from Seven Mile Beach and the majority of the island’s attractions. Traffic is horrendous but slightly better than it used to be due to the roundabouts that were installed several years ago. The island is extremely safe but I wouldn’t walk around the West Bay area after dark. I don’t post often (this is my first post) but I’ll try to check in if you have any more questions.

Welcome to my neighborhood. Literally. Send a PM if you have more specific questions.

There is no need to exchange currency. You can pay almost anywhere with a major credit card (MC, Visa, Amex). If they don’t take credit cards they will happily take US$. Change will likely be in CI$.

There is an ATM at the small Foster’s Food Fair grocery across the road from the major East End hotels. Your choice of withdrawing US$ or CI$.

But be prepared for pricing confusion. The Cayman Islands dollar is stronger than the US dollar. Your US$20 buys you CI$16.

McCurley’s Car Rental, serves East End and can pick you up by van at the airport and rent you a car in East End. They rent older vehicles in decent shape. Alternatively there are major chains and good local chains with rental offices at the airport. I recommend a rental car as the one-way taxi fare to East End can exceed the daily rental price for a car.

Local food with flair requires a stop at Miss Vivine’s Kitchen. Yes, it is her house. Walk around back and order at the kitchen door. Outdoor seating with great ocean views from the top of the bluff.

The signature attraction is Stingray City. Go for a snorkel trip to the sandbar, preferably on a day with few or no cruise ship visitors. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday during your stay look to have no cruise ships at all.

You’ll find plenty of sunshine and a nice uncrowded beach. Sadly alcohol can be quite expensive. Plan ahead as liquor stores are closed on Sundays (as are groceries and most other stores). You might want to bring your duty free allowance of 1 liter per adult with you.

For local culture stuff, consider a stop at the Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park to visit the floral gardens and see the Blue Iguana Recovery Program. Plan to be there at 11am daily (except Sunday) for a tour led by a member of the recovery program staff. Continue on to visit Pedro St James historic site for a bit about island history.

Enjoy your stay.

Awesome. I already booked the shuttle from the airport to East End. I’ve also got the all-inclusive package at the Reef which includes unlimited booze and food. But I do plan on leaving some days. No booze on Sunday? Does that apply to bars as well???

Anyway, I like your recommendation of Vivine’s Kitchen. I tend to stay away from touristy venues when I travel. Ideally an local restaurant/bar where residents hang out and talk about their daily lives is where I like to stop in for a few.

Your other recommendations sounds like good local spots as well (except for Stingray City). I also plan on seeing the wreck of the Ten Sails. That seems interesting.

I also would like to carry cash just for the feel of being in a foreign country. Where would be the best place to turn $US into $CI? I’m sure there is an exchange fee, but I’m wondering if it would be cheaper to use my ATM card and pay the fees versus getting cash here and paying an exchange fee.

Thanks again for everyone’s advice.

Another thing - if you do scuba dive then I would heartily recommend the Tibbets and Bloody Bay Wall (On Cayman Brac and Little Cayman).

This might be too late. I tried responding yesterday but what I wrote disappeared.

Liquor stores and groceries are closed on Sundays as are nightclubs. Bars at hotels and restaurants are open.

For a local bar experience try Pirate’s Cove bar in East End during the day where you will find fishermen and others playing dominoes. (There have been some rather unpleasant violent incidents at Pirate’s Cove on weekend nights over the years involving firearms and police being assaulted.) Or head to Over the Edge in North Side.

You really do not need to convert US$ to CI$. If you want to, then do it at a bank after you arrive. There is a currency exchange counter at the Hungry Horse restaurant upstairs at the airport which is the only place not to exchange currency - lousy rate.

One more event…

If you are interested, the Cayman Invitational track meet is on Wednesday May 8, the day after you arrive. Usain Bolt, world record holder in the 100m, is scheduled to compete. Hopefully his hamstring is feeling better as he withdrew from a meet last week.