The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 05-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Does Sirius/XM know what station I'm listening to?

See thread title. I'm wondering if my receiver is just picking up the signal from the satellite, or if it is sending information back as well? Do they know who is listening to what, and how many are tuned to each channel?
Advertisements  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:04 PM

Nope, the radios are just passive receivers.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:18 PM

Receiving signal from a satellite is fairly easy. Sending a signal to a satellite is significantly a bit harder. Having one of those endpoints in motion relative to the other adds several levels of difficulty.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:02 PM

Yes, THEY know where you are and they can see what you're doing as well.

Or, as the others said.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarfire View Post
Receiving signal from a satellite is fairly easy. Sending a signal to a satellite is significantly a bit harder. Having one of those endpoints in motion relative to the other adds several levels of difficulty.
On one of DirecTV's "Active Channels", they give stats for what is the most popular program right now, split into various categories, and even time zones. To do that, wouldn't they have to acquire some sort of data from the satellite receivers? Most DirecTV receivers are stationary, unlike Sirius/XM, but many are mobile.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:23 PM

And, as further illustration, if you buy an XM radio, you have to call and give them the unique code from the radio, let's say it's 1234, and set up an account. Then over the next day or so the satellites send out a "hey radio 1234, they paid, now start working" signal, which it receives and starts working. There used to be an XM page where you could login and resend the signal if it missed that activation signal or the radio stopped working after, I dunno, being unplugged too long or something.

If there was two way communication, the activation process would probably be different and simpler.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum God View Post
On one of DirecTV's "Active Channels", they give stats for what is the most popular program right now, split into various categories, and even time zones. To do that, wouldn't they have to acquire some sort of data from the satellite receivers? Most DirecTV receivers are stationary, unlike Sirius/XM, but many are mobile.
I don't know about modern receivers, but from my experience with DirecTV about 10 years ago the receivers needed a phone line connection for "upstream" stuff like pay-per-view.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

I think that direct tv connects to your phone line or internet connection to authorize the box and allow you to get on demand movies etc. So they could be getting their stats from that.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazpacho View Post
I think that direct tv connects to your phone line or internet connection to authorize the box and allow you to get on demand movies etc. So they could be getting their stats from that.
I forgot about that. Ours no longer use the phone line, they exclusively use the internet for on-demand, pay-per-view, etc.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 PM

Sirius/XM also has a streaming service which is an additional $3 or $4 per month. Any smart device i.e. computer, phone, Sonos, etc can play the stream. In this instance the company knows exactly what you are listening to and since the streaming channels mimic the satellite channels, it is how Sirius/XM gauge the popularity of any given station.

The car/home receivers do not transmit anything back to the mothership. They have no idea what you are listening to.

The streaming service also has additional channels and an on-demand feature. I like it a lot.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 PM

Jim Norton is a sick F&$*#r.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarfire View Post
WHAT ??? Motion has nothing to do with it.

Its just a matter of expense, its expensive to add a transmitters into the receivers, and to have a receiver up in the satellite, and to own the license for the frequencies in use.