Source of a line

A couple dozen people on Facebook and various other boards are all saying, “I heard it, but I can’t remember where,” “It’s on the tip of my tongue,” etc.

Anyway, the line is

“I wanted Sixteen Candles Molly Ringwald, not Pretty in Pink Molly Ringwald”

Any thoughts?

Not one of 264 people knows where the line came from?

I don’t feel so bad, then.

It sounds similar to something I vaguely recall Abed on Community saying. Not sure if it’s the same two movies. Some of the other board discussions also bring this up.

Googling turns up a lot of fan fiction where Abed talks about Molly Ringwald.

Not “Family Guy” is it? or “American Dad” perhaps. Sounds like a Seth MacFarlane line.

It does, doesn’t it? I can even hear it in Peter Griffin’s voice; but I can’t prove that that’s what it’s from.

That’s the first thing I thought of when I read that line. I know I’ve heard that line before and I’ve never seen Community. I would bet on it being from Family Guy.

I can’t find the quote in it, but there was the episode Meet the Quagmires, where Peter went back in time and ended up married to Molly Ringwald, instead of Lois.

Wouldn’t be Family Guy or American Dad — I don’t watch them. (Yes, I know they’re great; I just don’t have time.) Could be Community. Someone elsewhere suggested How I Met Your Mother, also a possibility.

I hear it in the voice of Roger the alien.

My first instinct is that it is a line from Psych., though I can’t begin to suggest what episode.

Is it possible you’ve seen this … whatever it is.

After that the silence could’ve been cut with a knife. She reminded me of Molly Ringwald not Sixteen Candles Molly Ringwald mind you Breakfast Club for sure. Both in persona and in the physical sense medium breasts, (male brain paging Dr. Freud or Hugh Hefner), very pretty lips, her brown dyed blonde hair was tied in a pony tail that said. ‘Fuck you pal: I haven’t even showered yet.’ She was perfect.

No, it was definitely TV or a movie. But maybe the writer lifted the idea from that piece (or vice versa).

Not Psych. My wife suggested New Girl. Could be. Anyone?

Isn’t it from the American Guy episode where Peter goes back in time and ends up married to Molly Ringwold?

Nope, just watched it and that’s not it. I, too, can totally hear Roger saying that line…the search continues!

I first thought of the Family Guy episode, and also Not Another Teen Movie.

Looked at the transcripts - not it.

It sounded familiar to me too and I have done a bunch of Googling and I have decided we are all either missremembering the Molly Ringwald movies in the quote or missremembering that the quote was about Molly Ringwald.

The line sounds really familiar, I am hearing it from Ari on Entourage, but I cannot place it for sure.

That totally sounds like a line from Psych.

I’m imagining Fez on That 70’s Show saying it but, you know, anachronism…

Stan Smith, too. Maybe Cleveland Brown.

Maybe if somebody can get hold of Seth McFarlane, he would know.

Any character from The Venture Bros. could be credited with it, and I’d find it plausible. It’s just such a great line; somebody needs to have said it.

Did James Toback maybe say it to Molly Ringwald when he was directing her in The Pick-up Artist?
ETA: Something just struck me: That’s the beauty of it – NOBODY said it!

Not Psych?

I thought that I heard it during the episode “Murder? … Anyone? … Anyone? … Bueller?” Season 3 episode 2. It was actually on last night but I wasn’t paying much attention.

There was a few John Hughes movie references. Shawn and Gus are at their HS reunion and Shawn wears a photo tag of Judd Nelson and does some Breakfast Club quotes. The last scene is a shot of Shawn and Gus walking across a field and Shawn pumping his fist as the same music plays as the last shot in Breakfast Club.