Today's word usage pet peeve: "temper"

Some people say, “Oh, he has a temper!” when they mean “an inability to control anger.” But temper means “the ability to control emotional volatility.” Someone says, “He has a terrible temper” and someone who doesn’t know the word assumes from context that it means “a terrible tendency to get angry” instead of a “terrible inability to control anger.” So that “temper” is then used alone, in the opposite of its original meaning.

(Many of my word usage pet peeves are words that begin to take on the opposite meaning due to misunderstanding and misuse.)

Well, I’m sure the word “temperamental” also causes its share of misuse too.

However, at least one of dictionary.com’s entries on this word have your “mistaken” definition listed before your “real” definition (though at least one also has the word origin, which is of course your “real” definition).

This battle was lost decades if not centuries ago.

Do you also get upset when people use “presently” to mean later instead of right now?

I’m fairly confident I’ve never heard anyone use the noun “temper” in the way you describe. I can’t even recall reading it used that way.

Are we starting at the most obscure peeve and working our way up?

I don’t hear “He has a temper” much.
More of “He has a tendency to lose his temper.”

My toddler has a temper. Advice wanted

This is not a battle. Note forum title. :wink:

I’ve never heard anyone use it to mean later. In England they use it to mean soon. The English can do what they want.

Many words are changing their meanings over time. Have you ever said “I am nauseous”? Were you making other people sick at the time? How about the word “organic”? I can assure you that ALL the food I have ever eaten was organic according to the original meaning including all the food drenched with chemical fertilizers and pesticides. “Narcotic”? Well, I highly doubt crystal meth has put many people to sleep or done much as a pain killer but law enforcement still calls it a narcotic. Complaining that words have changed meanings doesn’t have much traction around here.

It’s just a little annoyance I have that I wanted to share with a few thousand of my closest friends for the sake of amusement (see forum title). I certainly don’t hope to change direction of the language. Second, to be clear, I am very aware of the natural way that words change meanings over time–but in this case some people use it in the opposite way of its original meaning, which came about through ignorance. A contrasting example is the slang usage of “sick” which takes on a radically different meaning than the conventional one, but not because the original word was misunderstood (perhaps as a desire to annoy one’s parents).

Getting your panties in a twist about it is sort of pointless. However, “here’s a bunch of words which have had their original meaning reversed, isn’t language fascinating” could be an interesting thread.

Apparently you cleave to (what you take to be) the original meaning. Would you sanction sanctions against people who use it differently?

People, this is a tongue-in-cheek rant. There are no battles, twisted panties, or cleavage involved. Let’s just have a little fun.

I would, but I have a temper. :mad:

Don’t you have that backwards. The traditional meaning of “presently” is after a short time, not right now. And yes, although both meanings are presently correct, I don’t like it one bit.

OK THAT’S IT. *Presently *means ‘RIGHT NOW’ and it NEVER SHOULD MEAN “sometime in the future.”

THIS IS THE LINE I’VE CHOSEN TO DIE ON.

I definitely can’t control my temper.

A “pet” is an animal, and I see nothing in the OP that indicates any peeves with animals.

LINE IN THE SAND OR HlLL TO DIE ON

AUGH

How do you use presently to indicate later, or after a short time? Can someone give an example? I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard it used in that context.

• Presently, were using revision 2 of the procedure.
  • I am presently driving a Hyundai.

These sentences reflect the immediate time, not some future point.

The plane will be landing presently. Presently, lunch will be served in the large hall. I will leave for the airport presently.

THESE ARE ALL NONSENSE.

It’s like saying “I went to the store tomorrow!”

AND I’M GOING TO DIE RIGHT HERE ON THIS LINE (which happens to be on a hill, thank you very much)

Yeah, I have never heard presently used in that context at all: ever.