The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 06-19-2013, 05:36 PM

Cease and desist?

It seems to me that this is redundant, is there some legal distinction between these two things? In other words, legally, is it possible to cease and not desist or vice versa?
Advertisements  
Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

According to wikipedia, to cease is to "halt" an activity, and to desist is not to "take it up again later" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cease_and_desist
Old 06-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

I've heard there are some legal doubles (will and testament) that pair an Anglo-Saxon based word with an Adopted French word as an aftermath of Hastings kind of thing.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

This is an example of legal doublets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_doublet
Old 06-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

There are lots of these. Here's some I can think of:
  • Cease and desist
  • Breaking and entering
  • Waive and relinquish
  • Aidin' an' abettin'
  • Null and void
  • Lewd and lascivious
  • Goods and chattels

Wikipedia calls them legal doublets and has a good list.

Last edited by friedo; 06-19-2013 at 06:35 PM..
Old 06-19-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
It seems to me that this is redundant, is there some legal distinction between these two things? In other words, legally, is it possible to cease and not desist or vice versa?
Only if you do depose and say that you will covenant and agree to obey all of the terms and conditions by and between the parties that make and enter into this contract, which shall have sole and exclusive power and authority over all goods and chattels and amounts that are due and payable and bind and obligate the parties and their heirs and successors from now and henceforth, that you will at no time engage in lewd and lascivious conduct of whatever kind and nature, and will pay due care and attention not to aid and abet acts that that are not appropriate and proper or that would render the contract that has been made and entered into null and void.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_columbia View Post
Only if you do depose and say that you will covenant and agree to obey all of the terms and conditions by and between the parties that make and enter into this contract, which shall have sole and exclusive power and authority over all goods and chattels and amounts that are due and payable and bind and obligate the parties and their heirs and successors from now and henceforth, that you will at no time engage in lewd and lascivious conduct of whatever kind and nature, and will pay due care and attention not to aid and abet acts that that are not appropriate and proper or that would render the contract that has been made and entered into null and void.
Well, thank God that's cleared up!

I mean, thank our Lord and God that the aforementioned and stated question and query has been clarified and elucidated.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 PM

Actually, I'm pretty sure breaking and entering are two legally separate things.

Breaking refers to obtaining unlawful access (i.e. literally breaking a window or wall, picking the lock, etc.).

Entering is using the access you've thus gained.

If you give your neighbor a house key for emergencies and they use it to come in and munch your food they're guilty of entering, but not breaking.

Still, some input from somebody who actually practices law would be appreciated.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarfire View Post
Actually, I'm pretty sure breaking and entering are two legally separate things.

Breaking refers to obtaining unlawful access (i.e. literally breaking a window or wall, picking the lock, etc.).

If you give your neighbor a house key for emergencies and they use it to come in and munch your food they're guilty of entering, but not breaking.

Still, some input from somebody who actually practices law would be appreciated.
No, all you have to do is open a door without permission to be guilty of breaking and entering. No actual breaking of anything required.

Having a key provided by the owner would probably be considered authorization to enter, but taking food might be a different matter. And I suppose that entering through a door left standing open would still be a trespass.

Last edited by Doug K.; 06-19-2013 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: OF, dammit!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
No, all you have to do is open a door without permission to be guilty of breaking and entering. No actual breaking of anything required.

Having a key provided by the owner would probably be considered authorization to enter, but taking food might be a different matter. And I suppose that entering through a door left standing open would still be a trespass.
Your cite says it requires "the slightest amount of force". That's the breaking part.

Last edited by TriPolar; 06-19-2013 at 10:40 PM..
Old 06-19-2013, 10:45 PM

I'd hate to be the lawyer who invoked only one half of a legal doublet on behalf of a client who turns out to be primarily interested in the other one.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Your cite says it requires "the slightest amount of force". That's the breaking part.
Yes, but merely pushing a door open or opening a window is enough, even if unlocked. (PDF. Top of page two.)
Old 06-20-2013, 06:51 AM

A little off topic (as cease and desist clearly have distinct meanings). I have a vague recollection of a court addressing apparent synonyms - in a contract I believe. I'll see if anything bubbles up in the grey matter, but I recall the court holding smething like the 2 apparent synonyms MUST have somewhat different meanings, or else they would not have both been included in the contract. I think one party was suggesting the one term meant something in his favor, while the other contended they were simply duplicative.

A couple of my favorite legal pairings are arbitrary and capricious, and detour and frolic. Frolicking always sounds so fun!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Yes, but merely pushing a door open or opening a window is enough, even if unlocked. (PDF. Top of page two.)
"but going in through an unobstructed entrance — such as an open door — is not."
Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

There's nothing wrong with redundancy, especially in legal matters. It helps to eliminate confusion and prevents fraud.

For instance, if you the order were just to "cease" something, another lawyer could say his client did "cease" something, even if he didn't "desist" from doing it. Then you get into a big argument as to the precise meaning of the term.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 AM

Ain't our language wonderful...
Old 06-20-2013, 07:09 AM

Plus, in a cease or desist letter, no one's sure if they're allowed to do both.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:23 AM

Signed, sealed, delivered I'm yours.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 AM

Weddings are the same... "to have and to hold" means now and in the future.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 AM

The origin of "legal couplets" is a time when both Anglo-Saxon and Norman were spoken in England. In each couplet, one word is Saxon and one is Norman. The purpose was to make clear what you should do, regardless of your native language. In modern English the meanings of the words within the couplet have diverged, but at the time they were synonyms. Today couplets have no purpose other than legalistic flourish. Like Miranda warnings, the public has come to expect them and feels something is "wrong" if they aren't used.

Last edited by Hello Again; 06-20-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Old 06-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Doublet, not couplet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couplets
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

As others have said cease and desist do have distinct meanings. Cease means to stop if you're doing it now and desist means to not do it in the future. There are cases where a distinction is made. For example, let's say the police stop you when you're driving with an expire inspection. You made be told you can drive your vehicle home but not to drive it anywhere else. That's being told to desist but not to cease. Or let's say you get thrown out of a movie theatre for being rowdy but you're not banned from future showings at the theatre. That's being told to cease but not desist.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

An illustration of the difference between breaking and entering.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_columbia View Post
You forgot the "That'll be $350.37, please."
Old 06-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm View Post
Did you time slip back to the 70s or something? That'll run you at least a grand today.

Last edited by TriPolar; 06-20-2013 at 03:14 PM..
Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Did you time slip back to the 70s or something? That'll run you at least a grand today.
I thought they charge $350.37 per paragraph.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:54 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
I thought they charge $350.37 per paragraph.
Per word, around here.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 PM

"Give, devise. amd bequeath" is a triplet from estate law, e.g. in wills. IANAL, but I believe that at one time one term referenced the passing by will of real property and another of personal property, and it was important to ensure you matched the right term to the right giving of property. Anyone who can expand on that?

Last edited by Polycarp; 06-21-2013 at 09:11 PM..
Old 06-22-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
There are lots of these. Here's some I can think of:
  • Cease and desist
  • Breaking and entering
  • Waive and relinquish
  • Aidin' an' abettin'
  • Null and void
  • Lewd and lascivious
  • Goods and chattels
Not listed, but how about NEGATIVE PREGNANT.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarfire View Post

2911.13 Breaking and entering.

(A) No person by force, stealth, or deception, shall trespass in an unoccupied structure, with purpose to commit therein any theft offense, as defined in section 2913.01 of the Revised Code, or any felony.

(B) No person shall trespass on the land or premises of another, with purpose to commit a felony.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of breaking and entering, a felony of the fifth degree.

Effective Date: 07-01-1996

BURGLARY is in an OCCUPIED structure, by definition, 2911.12
Old 06-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

lawbuff, in what sense is "negative pregnant" a legal doublet? It doesn't contain the word "and" and it doesn't contain two words with the same meaning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_pregnant
Old 06-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It would have been redundant and repetitive.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
lawbuff, in what sense is "negative pregnant" a legal doublet? It doesn't contain the word "and" and it doesn't contain two words with the same meaning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_pregnant
The OP mention redundancy, so how can you have a pregnancy that is negative, a play on a real pregnancy in legal terms.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
There's nothing wrong with redundancy, especially in legal matters. It helps to eliminate confusion and prevents fraud.

For instance, if you the order were just to "cease" something, another lawyer could say his client did "cease" something, even if he didn't "desist" from doing it. Then you get into a big argument as to the precise meaning of the term.
This is why we have judges. I'm pretty sure what Hello Again is what this comes down to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post
. . . In modern English the meanings of the words within the couplet have diverged, but at the time they were synonyms. Today couplets have no purpose other than legalistic flourish.
A judge would have the authority to say to anyone trying to split hairs that "cease" does in fact mean "from this point on," as far as the court is concerned.

IOW, the judge would have the authority to say that legal precedent supersedes linguistic quibbles over semantics.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

lawbuff, how are the words "pregnant" and "negative" redundant?
Old 06-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawbuff View Post
2911.13 Breaking and entering.

(A) No person by force, stealth, or deception, shall trespass in an unoccupied structure, with purpose to commit therein any theft offense, as defined in section 2913.01 of the Revised Code, or any felony.

(B) No person shall trespass on the land or premises of another, with purpose to commit a felony.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of breaking and entering, a felony of the fifth degree.

Effective Date: 07-01-1996

BURGLARY is in an OCCUPIED structure, by definition, 2911.12
In Ohio, anyway. I don't believe that's true for New York.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycarp View Post
"Give, devise. amd bequeath" is a triplet from estate law, e.g. in wills. IANAL, but I believe that at one time one term referenced the passing by will of real property and another of personal property, and it was important to ensure you matched the right term to the right giving of property. Anyone who can expand on that?
A will (LW&T, if you will ) bequeaths personal property while it devises real property. I don't think it is crucial that you match the right word. Usually they are all lumped together, anyway. A person who receives personal property under a will is a legatee. One receiving real property is a devisee.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Really?
I seem to recall in an antique police procedural (and perhaps the film Legal Eagles) the notion being put forth that an unlocked door constituted and invitation to enter, legally. That if you left the front door unlocked, folks who entered thereby were not committing a crime (yet).
Which is part of why I keep my door locked when I'm home.

Last edited by SpyOne; 06-23-2013 at 03:29 AM..
Old 06-23-2013, 03:22 PM

I doubt that a person entering your home uninvited is entering by your consent merely because the door was unlocked. He would be guilty of at least trespassing. In fact, he would not have to enter your house to be trespassing. Merely being on your property uninvited would be a trespass.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbitu8 View Post
I doubt that a person entering your home uninvited is entering by your consent merely because the door was unlocked. He would be guilty of at least trespassing. In fact, he would not have to enter your house to be trespassing. Merely being on your property uninvited would be a trespass.
Entering an open door is not a break in, but is still a trespass. Opening a closed but unlocked door or window is legally a break. This is explicitly mentioned in the previous cite:

Quote:
But there are some less obvious examples that also are considered to be “breakings.” Opening a closed door or window is a breaking, even if they are unlocked. Going in through an open window that is not intended for use as an entrance is also a breaking, but going in through an unobstructed entrance — such as an open door — is not.