The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 07-01-2013, 10:34 AM

Dexter: Final Season On Showtime (SPOILERS!)

So the final season of DEXTER started yesterday on Showtime.

We have been big fans of this show and have watched every episode. Sorry to see it ending, but very glad this has been planned and designed to be a real final season, with what we fully expect to be quite a grand finale. The lead actor and current executive producer, Michael C. Hall (Dexter) was also in Six Feet Under - which had perhaps the grandest series finale of all time - so if anybody knows how to wrap up a series, it will be him!

The first episode started off with a bang!

Looks like Dex had a nice relaxing summer - too bad his sister Debb didn't quite have the same. She has fallen off the rails and things don't look good for her right now.

A new character, Dr. Vogel, has entered the picture and she seems to know more than just a tiny bit about the double life of our favorite serial killer! What is her connection and what is her ulterior motive?

BTW: I read in an interview that the other actors have no idea how this show (and their characters) are going to end this final season - only a few people know and they have kept it a secret to everyone else - even Debb (ex-wife in real life of Dexter - Michael C. Hall) has no idea what is going to happen yet.

All in all, a nice leap into the final season - and I have no idea who is going to survive or who is going to die this season!

If you had told me way back when that I would like a series about a serial killer, and actually root for his success, I would have be dubious to say the least. But as regular viewers know, Dexter has his "code" and it does sort of set him apart from your average serial killer...although I am not sure most juries would agree.

At any rate - looking forward to this final ride. I fully expect there will be a season finale episode that will get great ratings and be worthy of a few comments at the conclusion!

Last edited by DMark; 07-01-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post
A new character, Dr. Vogel, has entered the picture and she seems to know more than just a tiny bit about the double life of our favorite serial killer! What is her connection and what is her ulterior motive?
FWIW - During Dr. Vogel's first scene I turned to my wife and said, "I bet she knew Harry too. I bet she helped him come up with the code."
Old 07-01-2013, 11:38 AM

Is no one else watching this?

I enjoyed it.

I am really curious how they deal with Harrison since he's getting too old not to notice things and Angel's sister has established more boundaries.
It seems like Quinn is going to be more suspicious of Dexter again now that he'll have inside information as to his schedule.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddypants View Post
FWIW - During Dr. Vogel's first scene I turned to my wife and said, "I bet she knew Harry too. I bet she helped him come up with the code."
D’oh! It’s been driving me crazy all night. Harry must have consulted with her when Dex was a child to see if medical intervention would have helped his pathology.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:38 PM

Good episode. Good start to final season. I've been a fan since season 1, but I've felt that it's been on a steady decline since the first year or two. They've gone too much away from the thrill of the kill the past couple of seasons, and trying to make him more "human" has hurt the show's appeal. Last night's episode has lifted my hope's that this last season may be entertaining.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 PM

I've watched Dexter since the beginning and was a huge fan of the first few seasons. The last two seasons have really put a strain on my ability to continue to suspend disbelief.
I know it's just a TV show but, jeez, some of the stuff that Dexter does just seems so implausible. Killing the guy in the airport last season was an example. Oh well, I've watched the entire series so no point in stopping now.
But, a few things about the first episode:
-Why didn't Dexter just send Deb a text message?
-Dexter figured out Deb's password in about six seconds and it was "fucking password?"
-Why would Dexter take Harrison with him when he was going to rescue Deb from a mob hitman?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post
I didn't catch her name was Dr Vogel. That doesn't bode well for the season, as that was very similar to the evil Vogler from the early seasons of House. He nearly ruined the show for me, despite being played by the otherwise-awesome Chi McBride.

Anyway, I didn't like the episode. I haven't loved it in a while and it didn't win me back. I will continue to watch, as there are so few left, but if it wasn't being canceled, I think I'd not bother.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
-Why would Dexter take Harrison with him when he was going to rescue Deb from a mob hitman?
I don't know if there was any logic-of-the-story reason, but there's certainly* a logic-of-the-showrunners reason: Harrison needs to be pushed closer to the forefront of the viewers' awareness. The character must be prominent in our minds, in order to create the emotional impact of the series finale.

I bet.

*Well, "probably," anyway. I'm just guessing.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
I don't know if there was any logic-of-the-story reason, but there's certainly* a logic-of-the-showrunners reason: Harrison needs to be pushed closer to the forefront of the viewers' awareness. The character must be prominent in our minds, in order to create the emotional impact of the series finale.

I bet.

Yeah, he's pretty much been AWOL for a while but he was all over this episode.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 PM

I thought LaGuerta's ceremony was a little cringeworthy, especially in how much exposition was being done standing by the bench, in the little conversation between Matsuka, Quinn, Angel, Dexter, and the random new character that they've felt the need to introduce. You'd really think that they should have been able to introduce us to a few more people in Miami Metro over the course of seven seasons, so that they had a bit more to rely on. But no, they had to bring back Matthews from retirement, and Quinn's balling Angel's sister. Come on!

After that, things got a little bit more interesting, although I certainly did wonder whether texting for some reason does not exist in the Dexterverse. At least the graphic interfaces of the phone's they use now look real, and not like something from the early 1990s.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Because he is still going for the World's Worst Father trophy.

Seriously, the guy pawns his kid off on the nanny 24/7. He better be paying her a shit-ton of money.

I actually liked the episode and the "new" Deb, as fucked up as she is. And I can't stand Deb.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:28 PM

I don't remember where I read this last season but it was suggested that the producers are now stuck with a small child and don't really know what to do with him. That was why he was with relatives through most of last season.

I was just thinking how much I hated the Deb falling in love with Dexter crap.

Last edited by Laggard; 07-02-2013 at 03:33 PM..
Old 07-02-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
I don't remember where I read this last season but it was suggested that the producers are now stuck with a small child and don't really know what to do with him.
Shouldna killed his mother, then.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:

I bet.

You are probably right...just a guess, but could be that little Harrison is also going to be sitting in a pool of blood at the end, just like daddy as a boy...the only question is who is going to be teaching him "the code"...Dex or Debb? Somehow I see Debb raising him and teaching him how to reign in the urges like daddy used to do.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

They already had the "Harrison sitting in a pool of blood" thing when Rita died. I think Harrison will die and it will be Dexter's fault, that's why they're bringing him back into the foreground.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Did you guys miss the five minutes of the episode where Dex was trying to find someone to take Harrison for him so he could get to Deb? In the past he had two options- Deb or the babysitter... now all he has is the babysitter--the babysitter who he couldn't reach--because she was schtupping Quinn.
I half expected him to leave Harrison with Quinn when he showed up at his place.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
They already had the "Harrison sitting in a pool of blood" thing when Rita died. I think Harrison will die and it will be Dexter's fault, that's why they're bringing him back into the foreground.
Is it cold to say I hope this happens in the second episode so the Harrison character can disappear, already, getting us back to all-adult storylines?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
Did you guys miss the five minutes of the episode where Dex was trying to find someone to take Harrison for him so he could get to Deb? In the past he had two options- Deb or the babysitter... now all he has is the babysitter--the babysitter who he couldn't reach--because she was schtupping Quinn.
I half expected him to leave Harrison with Quinn when he showed up at his place.
Yeah, I know, but if my choices are:
A) Take my toddler into a situation where there might be a crazed killer.
or
B) Not
I'm probably going to go with not.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Is it cold to say I hope this happens in the second episode so the Harrison character can disappear, already, getting us back to all-adult storylines?
Nope. That's the way it is with me. Except for all this lactating Dad persona Dex has developed will probably get worse. It was cute when "Harrison" (stupid name) was a baby, I guess, but it's getting beyond retarded.

The only good thing about this episode was seeing James Remar get a little more involved re Deb. I just saw The Warriors a few days ago -- props for longevity of that actor (BTW the best comic book movie I've ever seen -- ridiculous, stupid, pedocentric, notwithstanding it was based on a print novel).

I'm feeling some of the same with Deb's character as with Don Draper in Mad Men -- supposedly they just all-of-a-sudden became ridiculous caricature's of addicts. Deb has a good reason to be mentally psychotic, but her banal medicine cabinet is meant to be a harbinger of her coke-bogarting wastoid private dick self, just as Don's morning cocktail is meant to indicate how low he's gone.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM

Spoiler for The Sopranos in this post:

Quote:
I didn't miss it, but I still say there was "logic-of-the-story" lacking because few parents of the professional class will have only ONE child-care option, as Dexter seems to have. It seems kind of implausible that he wouldn't have some other options in his organizer--people or agencies he could call, or child-care locations he's registered at, so that he wouldn't have to have dragged Harrison along.

As for the showrunners returning Harrison to the background: I would be very surprised if that happened. I believe that character will be crucial to the series finale's plot.

This show has something in common with The Sopranos, namely, a protagonist that we enjoy identifying with because he violates the usual rules of human society: if someone annoys him, he KILLS them. We find it fun and interesting to put ourselves imaginatively in that position, but at the same time we recognize that this sort of conduct would not work very well in the real world. In short, we're intrigued by the 'judge, jury, and executioner' idea--but also feel strongly that if such a character rode into the sunset in the end, something important in the order of things would be violated.

We want the character to go on doing what he does, but at the same time we know he needs to be punished and stopped from doing what he does.

The solution to this "wanting it both ways" aspect of the ultimate fate of Tony Soprano that David Chase found was a work of plotting genius. He DID find a way to let us have it both ways. When we really want to believe that Tony got away with it, we can reflect that we never did see bullets riddling his body; when we need to believe in ultimate justice, we can remember that the abrupt black silence pretty much must have meant bullet-to-Tony's-brain.

It was a brilliant choice.

The Dexter showrunners can't copy this, obviously. Yet they will want to do what Chase did in letting us Have It Both Ways: to see Dexter stopped and punished, but also to know that the 'kill annoying people and get away with it' possibilities are still ours to imagine.

The solution will be to kill Dexter, but let it be clear that Harrison is just like Dexter--Harrison will grow up to Kill Righteously. Since Harrison is a child, either Deb or Dr. Vogel will be the one to teach him The Code. And to make it that much easier for fans to feel reconciled to the end of Dexter, very possibly we will see Harrison visualizing and talking to his dead father, just as Dexter did with Harry.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Spoiler for The Sopranos in this post:

I didn't miss it, but I still say there was "logic-of-the-story" lacking because few parents of the professional class will have only ONE child-care option, as Dexter seems to have. It seems kind of implausible that he wouldn't have some other options in his organizer--people or agencies he could call, or child-care locations he's registered at, so that he wouldn't have to have dragged Harrison along.

As for the showrunners returning Harrison to the background: I would be very surprised if that happened. I believe that character will be crucial to the series finale's plot.

This show has something in common with The Sopranos, namely, a protagonist that we enjoy identifying with because he violates the usual rules of human society: if someone annoys him, he KILLS them. We find it fun and interesting to put ourselves imaginatively in that position, but at the same time we recognize that this sort of conduct would not work very well in the real world. In short, we're intrigued by the 'judge, jury, and executioner' idea--but also feel strongly that if such a character rode into the sunset in the end, something important in the order of things would be violated.

We want the character to go on doing what he does, but at the same time we know he needs to be punished and stopped from doing what he does.

The solution to this "wanting it both ways" aspect of the ultimate fate of Tony Soprano that David Chase found was a work of plotting genius. He DID find a way to let us have it both ways. When we really want to believe that Tony got away with it, we can reflect that we never did see bullets riddling his body; when we need to believe in ultimate justice, we can remember that the abrupt black silence pretty much must have meant bullet-to-Tony's-brain.

It was a brilliant choice.

The Dexter showrunners can't copy this, obviously. Yet they will want to do what Chase did in letting us Have It Both Ways: to see Dexter stopped and punished, but also to know that the 'kill annoying people and get away with it' possibilities are still ours to imagine.

The solution will be to kill Dexter, but let it be clear that Harrison is just like Dexter--Harrison will grow up to Kill Righteously. Since Harrison is a child, either Deb or Dr. Vogel will be the one to teach him The Code. And to make it that much easier for fans to feel reconciled to the end of Dexter, very possibly we will see Harrison visualizing and talking to his dead father, just as Dexter did with Harry.
Nice post. Noting your prediction. . .well, I probably won't remember it, but this post will be here to remind me.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:41 PM

My prediction - we'll fast forward about 15 years - - to find that Dex has been training Harrison - Who has a younger sister (Dex and Chuck's girl) the end of the episode has Harrison with his first kill - Dexter.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:51 PM

Or Harrison's first kill will be the person who kills Dexter, as long as we're speculating.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Or Harrison's first kill will be the person who kills Dexter, as long as we're speculating.
I could deal with that - except it doesn't seem as 'poetic' - Dexter dieng in prison is boring - dexter getting bested by one of his prey is 'interesting', but unlikely.

Seems more (and more) likely that Deb may end up killing Dexter* ("First you wanna kiss me, now you wanna kill me. Blow.") - they certainly have a lot of anger there - I really don't think they'll end the season with Dexter 'caught' or on the run.

I have a feeling (and I really hope I'm wrong) that we will not be satisfied at the ned of the season.

*(Hey, I called it last season that Deb would end up killing Laguerta to help Dex)

Last edited by simster; 07-02-2013 at 10:58 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know, but if my choices are:
A) Take my toddler into a situation where there might be a crazed killer.
or
B) Not
I'm probably going to go with not.
"B." is actually not "just not taking Harrison" it's leaving your 4 year old ALONE... somewhere?

Quote:

You are assigning average parent traits to someone who THE ENTIRE PREMISE OF THE SHOW is based around him NOT being average. Dexter doesn't have anyone else. That's a huge point of the episode. Deb outright says it.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
"B." is actually not "just not taking Harrison" it's leaving your 4 year old ALONE... somewhere?
I meant not going at all and letting Deb take care of herself.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd
You are assigning average parent traits to someone who THE ENTIRE PREMISE OF THE SHOW is based around him NOT being average. Dexter doesn't have anyone else. That's a huge point of the episode. Deb outright says it.
I completely agree that the premise of the show is that Dexter is not average. However, he is surrounded by neuro-normal people who care about him and about his little son. There would be many instances when the topic of child care would have come up between Dexter and his coworkers, and between Dexter and his current nanny (now Batista's sister Jaime).

It's implausible that no one would have said something like "Dexter, you should add this agency to your organizer, my sister-in-law says they're great" or "Dexter, here's a card for my niece, she's a wonderful babysitter, and if neither Jaime nor Deb is around, you could give her a call." This isn't about 'having someone' in the sense of having a caring relationship (which of course Dexter isn't noted for). It's about the provisions for unexpected situations that parents make--having a few phone numbers handy, basically.

Even if Dexter wouldn't react to these conversations (about having options for Harrison's care) the same way a neuro-typical single father would, he'd still see the sense of having some choices available. Dexter is all about the careful planning. He would have made plans for times when neither the nanny nor his sister could watch Harrison.

That the writers didn't provide for this seems (to me) to be a failure on their part to understand the character.

ETA: thanks for that, Face Intentionally Left Blank (^_^). We shall see what we shall see!

Last edited by Sherrerd; 07-03-2013 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: to add thanks to another poster
Old 07-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

I imagine that at the end,

SPOILER:
Dex will be forced to kill Deb and will then kill himself.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Dexter is all about the careful planning. He would have made plans for times when neither the nanny nor his sister could watch Harrison.
Thank you for being articulate and intelligent. Were Dex not both, not only would he not be Dex, but we would have no little TV show -- that's why I watch, anyway. Sharp guy, happens to be psycho killer, does it with style.

Having Donahue's spirit infest Dex is not exactly style, IMHO. But that train left the station long ago.

Yeah, I'll finish out the series (been watching from the start), but it didn't have to be like this. Just saying.

OT but what if Breaking Bad is on the same train? I just don't know what I'd do. Same deal, though -- compelling foes sustained over umpteen seasons.

Oh, hell. I guess there are some Barney Miller episodes I haven't seen. Herb Tarlek out. (Yeah, I know, it was a joke).

ETA that wasn't supposed to be sarcastic, actually. Been working my way through BM and WKRP recently, but it wasn't intended to be a joke. I guess I'm a bit peeved because I really enjoyed watching Dexter, and starting last season, I'm kind of not. Never mind. I'll live, but I'm seriously not trying to be a dick.

Last edited by chewsick; 07-03-2013 at 07:57 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 PM

I think we have to accept that sometimes the reason things happen on shows is in service to El Plotty Plot. Why didn't Dexter have alternate child care provider lined up? Because the Plot demanded a scene where Dexter dramatically searches for Harrison at a dangerous place.

This required a series of elaborate setups (Jaime suddenly involved with Quinn, Harrison playing with centrifuge) to make it easier for the audience to swallow, but it was definitely plot driven from the start.

Why did we need six reminders about Deb's full voice mailbox? So we have a clear reason that Dexter can't call her to warn her later in the episode.

What I don't understand is why so many minutes were devoted to LaGuerta as we had celebrated her death with an understanding that it would lead to less minutes for her, not more. To borrow Patton Oswalt's analogy, she's the bowl of rock salt to the delicious ice cream that the audience actually wants.

We've seen LaGuerta's memorial, LaGuerta's bench, LaGuerta's boxes, LaGuerta's vase, LaGuerta's badge and LaGuerta's warrants. We've gotten jokes about LaGuerta's ass size and penchant for colorful wardrobes. Stay tuned next week for the exciting expose on LaGuerta's bronzed bowel movements! I literally care less about LaGuerta than the worms feasting on her rotted corpse.

Last edited by The Controvert; 07-03-2013 at 11:35 PM..
Old 07-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Controvert View Post
I think we have to accept that sometimes the reason things happen on shows is in service to El Plotty Plot. Why didn't Dexter have alternate child care provider lined up? Because the Plot demanded a scene where Dexter dramatically searches for Harrison at a dangerous place.
Yes, and Harrison needed to be present not only to raise the audiences' anxiety level for this scene, but also, I believe, to keep Harrison prominent in our minds so that his importance in the series finale won't seem to come out of nowhere.

What some of us in this thread were saying (in the discussion about why the writers did or did not get Dexter right as a character in relation to the child care options) is that when things happen in a story, the story is more highly-regarded when the things that happen are plausible. If not, viewers may come to feel that the storytelling is contrived.

The things that need to happen, need to happen. But it's better (for the happiness of the story consumers and for the bank accounts of the storytellers) if the things that happen make sense, and are supported by other elements of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Controvert View Post
What I don't understand is why so many minutes were devoted to LaGuerta as we had celebrated her death with an understanding that it would lead to less minutes for her, not more. To borrow Patton Oswalt's analogy, she's the bowl of rock salt to the delicious ice cream that the audience actually wants.
We've seen LaGuerta's memorial, LaGuerta's bench, LaGuerta's boxes, LaGuerta's vase, LaGuerta's badge and LaGuerta's warrants. We've gotten jokes about LaGuerta's ass size and penchant for colorful wardrobes. Stay tuned next week for the exciting expose on LaGuerta's bronzed bowel movements! I literally care less about LaGuerta than the worms feasting on her rotted corpse.
I'd guess that so many minutes are being devoted to references to LaGuerta because Deb has been through a lot in this series--but it's her guilt about LaGuerta that has pushed her farther into self-destructiveness, and away from Dexter, than has anything else.

So, basically, all the time devoted to mentions of LaGuerta is really about justifying Deb's character arc through this season. (And of course all of what goes on with Deb will add to the pressure on the show's title character, culminating in the Big Finish.)
Old 07-05-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
-Dexter figured out Deb's password in about six seconds and it was "fucking password?"
Classic Deb!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent Juicy View Post
Because he is still going for the World's Worst Father trophy.

Seriously, the guy pawns his kid off on the nanny 24/7. He better be paying her a shit-ton of money.

I actually liked the episode and the "new" Deb, as fucked up as she is. And I can't stand Deb.
I think I recall him desperately trying to find the babysitter--who he didn't realize was banging Quinn.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Shouldna killed his mother, then.
Disagree! Worst character ever! Had to be killed. IMHO, of course.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Not cold at all. It's a TV show--about a KILLER!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
I could deal with that - except it doesn't seem as 'poetic' - Dexter dieng in prison is boring - dexter getting bested by one of his prey is 'interesting', but unlikely.

Seems more (and more) likely that Deb may end up killing Dexter* ("First you wanna kiss me, now you wanna kill me. Blow.") - they certainly have a lot of anger there - I really don't think they'll end the season with Dexter 'caught' or on the run.

I have a feeling (and I really hope I'm wrong) that we will not be satisfied at the ned of the season.

*(Hey, I called it last season that Deb would end up killing Laguerta to help Dex)
I don't think they'll kill Dexter. There's too much money in a potential future "comeback."
Old 07-06-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Švejk View Post
I thought LaGuerta's ceremony was a little cringeworthy, especially in how much exposition was being done standing by the bench, in the little conversation between Matsuka, Quinn, Angel, Dexter, and the random new character that they've felt the need to introduce.
Ditto x3 .....very cringeworthy.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM

Well. Now we know what Dr. Vogel is all about. Who wants to make bets that SHE is the killer who is slicing open the brains?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Well. Now we know what Dr. Vogel is all about. Who wants to make bets that SHE is the killer who is slicing open the brains?
That was my first thought as well - otherwise, how hard is it to set up a webcam and catch who's coming in/out the fricking door?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
....how hard is it to set up a webcam and catch who's coming in/out the fricking door?
She is not exactly poor...and you would think with a psycho serial killer stalking you, it might perhaps be time to install some good security - if not move to a village in Bolivia.

I can't keep that song from Wizard of Oz out of my head..."If I Only Had A Brain"...
Old 07-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
This is exactly what has bothered me about Dexter for the past couple of seasons.

Like Soylent Juicy, I immediately jumped to this conclusion as well, which tells me I've come to expect this kind of jerk-around by the writers. And it would be a jerk-around, as there are way too many holes in Vogel being the killer for it to be at all realistic (she killed three much younger, stronger men and moved them herself into elaborate positions--one hanging from a hook.

But this is what Dexter has become: A show where all the detail that at first made it interesting gets completely glossed in the service of crazy plot contortions. Just in this past episode, Dexter is at Sussmans house when the cops arrive (no idea how he slipped away), then after seeing a photo of Sussman at a cabin seems to quickly find the cabin location (and after setting up the "race against the cops" aspect of Dexter's chase for Sussman, that gets abandoned at the cabin--presumably to set up the shocking reveal of the impaled Sussman). Even Deb's inner-conflict over LaGuerta--a thread with a lot of potential for character exploration--has sputtered with the Briggs/El Sapo diversion.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM

What an awkward episode. We found a few interactions--particularly the ones between Quinn and nanny, then nanny-sister and Angel, awkward and clunky. Did the writers write that with each taking turns writing a sentence?

I figured Deb killed El Sapo the moment we saw his corpse. I now think Dexter may wind up having to kill her. As far as Vogel goes, I half expect she's doing the killing. I also expect there to be surveillance cameras in a lot more places than Dexter encounters, like an evidence storage area, but hey...suspension of disbelief is locked in the holding position.

Still, I liked the first two seasons so much (and the one with Trinity) that I'll see this through.

Meanwhile, does Dexter still have a kid?

Last edited by Ruffian; 07-08-2013 at 12:48 PM..
Old 07-08-2013, 01:35 PM

Yeah this episode was badly put together--edited, scripted, performance-wise.

Although they are once again going with the idea that Dexter was not destined to be a killer but was "made." In a previous season the blame was put on Harry...but now we have Vogel.

The biggest tell was that Vogel said that psychopaths like Dexter don't want personal connections....but Dexter has desperately sought out those out since the begining.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:58 PM

That final scene in which Vogel embraces Dexter from behind—was that maternal, or sexual?

In either case, if she’s the Miami Melon-Baller, she must be grooming Dex as her next accomplice.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 PM

Push You Down, yeah, that's where we figure its headed, too--Vogel was wrong and Dexter isn't a psychopath. BTW would someone in her field actually use that term?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM

I’ve been hanging around clinical psychologists for the better part of 30 years, and I’ve never heard one use that term. On the flip side, I’ve also never heard one go uber-pedantic and say “person with antisocial personality disorder” either. They all just say ‘sociopath.’
Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 PM

Here's a possible ending. The cops close in on Dexter and somebody points out that his testimony as a blood spatter expert put a lot a killers away and that if he is exposed as likely the most prolific serial killer in history they'll all probably have a basis for appeal. So they decide to kill him in a manner consistent with whatever killer Dexter is after at the time. He agrees with this because it will protect his child from the stigma.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 PM

I'm thinking it's going to end with Deb's self-destructive path leading to her getting caught for LaGuerta's murder, and Dexter confessing to save Deb.

I just can't get into this season at all, so I also don't give much of a fuck.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post
That final scene in which Vogel embraces Dexter from behind—was that maternal, or sexual?
Maternal. In the first scene she, in a very heavy-handed exchange, tells him she 'created him' and in a way is his 'spiritual mother'. It's an attempt on the writers' part to create someone in the show that Dexter cares about because pretty much everyone else he once cared about is some combination of dead, gone, and hating his guts. In the last scene, Vogel embraces him and tells him 'he's perfect'. At first he seems all WTF but then he does seem to go for the bait.

I thought that was well done on his part but I'm not too excited about Dr. Vogel. I welcomed her as an opportunity for this season to talk a little bit about what psychopaths really are or something (for instance, for someone with supposedly few emotional connections to things and people, Dexter's pretty irascible these days, what's the deal with that?). But her theory about psychopaths being nature's way of generating civilization is obviously completely ridiculous and it's a shame they couldn't come up with something even a bit more plausible. It seems clear that Dr. Vogel's going to increasingly turnout to be insane, if not actually the Brain Surgeon - but her theories can't be, not if she's somehow a world-renowned psychiatrist.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Švejk View Post
But her theory about psychopaths being nature's way of generating civilization is obviously completely ridiculous and it's a shame they couldn't come up with something even a bit more plausible. It seems clear that Dr. Vogel's going to increasingly turnout to be insane, if not actually the Brain Surgeon - but her theories can't be, not if she's somehow a world-renowned psychiatrist.
Yeah, the 'you're perfect' is straight out of Alien (Ash with his "I admire its purity").

If they have Vogel attacking someone with a rolled-up magazine, I'm going to turn the channel.