Hasp for interier doors?

I need a hasp and padlock that will fir a interior door. Most I have seen only fit doors that are smooth like on a shed.

Would a keyed door handlework just a well?

I think he’s trying to skip that step.

There are plenty. Just drop by the hardware store.

I think the issue here is that the part where the lock goes has molding so it’s raised up a bit. One like this should allow for a bit of play. I use one like that on a door that opens in, so it acts just like the 90 degree hasps you linked to. But I think it’ll work in this situation just fine.

I would suggest installing the part the lock hooks onto as close as possible to the door (or even on the door side)…the idea being that if it’s on the part of the molding that angles towards the door it’ll be easier to the the hasp on and off.

A picture would make it easier for us to help make some suggestions that would work best and/or be the easiest to install. :wink:

So, you just have them handcuffed to a radiator right now? :eek:

It’s a door that looks like this bestdoordesignideas.com

You can purchase a deadbolt (keyed one side only) for about $11.00. A hasp and lock would cost you about the same.
Just take the handset thats in the door out, and replace it with the deadbolt. A very simple job, shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.

If you have any questions, PM me and I’ll ‘walk you thru’ the process. :slight_smile:

I don’t have the tools to install a deadbolt that’s why I want the hasp. The hasp I have on their right now its not very secure its loose and you can pry it off with a screwdriver. I had to bend it with pliers to get it to fit at all.

The 90 degree one or the hinged one I linked to will work on a door that opens in like the picture you linked too.

If the surfaces are only offset by an inch or so, there are hasps available that have an offset for use on uneven surfaces. You can also get one with a longer shank and bend it yourself, it has been done many times before.

Are you talking about the ‘out’ face of the door, the one opposite the hinges? If this is the case it might be hard to find something with a large enough offset.

You can replace the existing latch with a keyed entry latch with usually nothing more than a screwdriver. A commercial grade keyed entry latch offers increased security over the residential variety if that is your concern, though it will run you about twice the price.

Would a “Keyed Knob Set Lock-Out Device” serve your purpose? It covers the doorknob so it can’t be turned. But does not require any installation or modification to the door or door frame.

All that is needed to install a deadbolt is the same thing you will need to install the hasp: a screwdriver.

my door is not pre drilled

Does this door have a ‘latch set’, like the door in the picture you linked to? :confused:
It’s kind of unusual for an interior door to not have a ‘latch set’. :dubious:
(A latch set is simply, a knob or lever that turns to open the door, but is not lockable.)

If the door does have a latch set, all you should need to install a deadbolt is a Phillips screwdriver.
Take the latch set out, the deadbolt will fit in the hole.

It has a door handle, but I cant get it off. There are no visible screws to remove it.

Somewhere around the base there should be a notch to put a screwdriver in and pop the cover off. There should be screws under the decorative cover.

I assume the handle is functioning though, right?
My parents have doors with knobs that are just for decoration, there’s no holes drilled under them, if they ever wanted to make them working they’d have to drill them out which would be more work then most home owners could take on, IMO and do a good job of. It’s a small project, but it involves a big hole, a small hole, both very well measured and centered and some chiseling. Not a big job, but it’s actual ‘wood work’. They do make jigs for it.

I see a notch and I tried to pry it off with a screwdriver but it wouldn’t come off

I don’t want to tell you to try harder, it’s hard to say without being there, but my gut says pry harder. I mean, the thing isn’t glued on. I don’t want you to break it, but they do usually take a little bit of effort so it doesn’t come off in the normal course of being slammed shut over and over.

You shouldn’t be putting the screwdriver in too far. There’s just a thin decorative cap, if you go into far you might have the tip of the screwdriver under the base the the screws are in and then it’s going to feel like it’s not budging at all.

Also, check to see if there’s anywhere to stick the screwdriver in the ‘stem’ part of the knob also. Sometimes that comes off first.

Also if I do get it off don’t I need to drill a bigger hole for the lock as well as the latch plate, I hired a handy man o do it for another door last hear and he had to do that. He installed a door lock that looked like this http://www.seafordlocksmith.net/uploads/1/2/7/6/1276186/4889067_orig.jpg