The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 AM

Has anyone seen Naked & Afraid yet?

Now on Discovery Channel.

I've seen the first two episodes so far. I was always hoping for a real survival show as an answer to Survivor, but this one just seems like an excuse to show nudity¹. I'm no prude, but couldn't the same thing be accomplished by putting the people in flesh-colored bathing suits and not have it distract from the survival element?

By the way, I see something awful happening with this show. One producer almost lost his foot already.

Last edited by Agent Foxtrot; 07-10-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:43 AM

Saw about two minutes of it. The naked part wasn't appealing. I've made my views on nudity clear in the past, it should be limited to young fit women.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:52 AM

I'm afraid to see anybody naked except my wife.

The premise is unappealing. There is no reason to have two people naked trying to survive, unless you are trying to titillate the viewer.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:28 AM

I watched the first one. How they could put those people in a jungle for 3 weeks, and be unable to come up with 30 minutes of interesting TV is beyond me. Even the shelter catching fire while the guy was sleeping in it was dull.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 AM

I've watched all three episodes so far and I like it. I don't find it prurient at all, just an extra factor in making the challenge more difficult, adding an another layer of vulnerability.

I don't see that it's simply intended to titillate the viewer, any more than the 3-part series Naked Castaway with that crazy dude who walked the Amazon. In that, he was dropped off naked on a remote Fijian island for two months and had to survive.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 AM

What's strange is that Discovery Channel now has not one, but two new nude survival shows, the other being Naked Castaway.

The bits of N&A I've seen don't much appeal to me, but THIS I've gotta see:
Quote:
‘I’m an ultimate survivalist,’ one of the show’s female stars, Kellie Nightlinger, 38, told the Daily News.

Nightlinger said she had been starving after spending two weeks in the wild when she devised an innovative way to catch fish using her private parts as bait and then trapping her meal between her legs.

‘We needed something with protein and because the water was so muddy, traditional fishing methods wouldn’t work, so I had to improvise, adapt and overcome,’ said Nightlinger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Foxtrot View Post
By the way, I see something awful happening with this show. One producer almost lost his foot already.
OMG, if you don't want to see a foot stripped of its flesh to the point of clearly seeing *multiple* bones, DO NOT by any means click on the following link:
SPOILER:
Seriously, this is pretty graphic! If you're squeamish or near meal-time, you should probably think twice before clicking on this link! REAL GORY PHOTO FOLLOWS:
SPOILER:
https://twitter.com/BearGrylls/status/329253938576637952/photo/1

If, instead, you just want the story and a very mild SFL (Safe For Life) picture, this TMZ story will satisfy your curiosity without grossing you out. (Just don't click the link within the story that follows TMZ's "Warning")
Old 07-10-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauvaise View Post
I've watched all three episodes so far and I like it. I don't find it prurient at all, just an extra factor in making the challenge more difficult, adding an another layer of vulnerability.
This, exactly. Also, at some point they do cover themselves up somewhat.

But yeah, the nudity plays far less of a role than one would think. What I find interesting is the interplay between the two people, especially if they don't "click" with each other yet are dependent on each other (the first episode illustrated this quite well).

It reminds me more of Survivorman than any of Discovery's other survival shows.

Quote:
I don't see that it's simply intended to titillate the viewer, any more than the 3-part series Naked Castaway with that crazy dude who walked the Amazon. In that, he was dropped off naked on a remote Fijian island for two months and had to survive.
I caught one episode of that and changed the channel -- I just couldn't watch him.

Last edited by kiz; 07-10-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Seems to me that if one were cast away naked in the wilderness, making oneself some clothes would be a rather big priority for survival.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Seems to me that if one were cast away naked in the wilderness, making oneself some clothes would be a rather big priority for survival.
From the bits I've seen, they do that. And on the part of an episode I saw last night, the female was scavenging washed-up debris on the beach when she conveniently found some undies that she kindly provided to her badly sunburned companion to at least keep his junk protected.

The undies looked suspiciously fresh for beach-debris, so I did briefly do a and wondered if one of the crew took pity and conveniently abandoned some of his undies so that he wouldn't have to witness the horror of seeing that dude's junk burn up.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:23 PM

The marine was hot and looked especially adorable digging that well, but the show's boring and I changed the channel as soon he put on the undies.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
From the bits I've seen, they do that. And on the part of an episode I saw last night, the female was scavenging washed-up debris on the beach when she conveniently found some undies that she kindly provided to her badly sunburned companion to at least keep his junk protected.

The undies looked suspiciously fresh for beach-debris, so I did briefly do a and wondered if one of the crew took pity and conveniently abandoned some of his undies so that he wouldn't have to witness the horror of seeing that dude's junk burn up.
It wasn't just undies for him, she also found a long t-shirt for herself and two pairs of flip-flops. And a whole bunch of empty water bottles that they used to make a raft. If that's to be believed, the Maldives must be completely buried in beach trash jetsam.

I like the premise- you have absolutely nothing other than the one item you're allowed to bring- a hatchet, for instance- and figure out a way to survive for three weeks. Oh- and you're there with a member of the opposite sex, just to amp up the discomfort. But some of the "surprise conveniences" seemed a little too convenient.

Oh- and as my wife pointed out, nudity or no nudity, when it was raining with a 41 degree wind chill, they should have been spooning for warmth. "Listen- we have to do this, and let me apologize now for the boner I'll inevitably get when I press against your naked butt. It's better than freezing."

Last edited by corkboard; 07-11-2013 at 08:02 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Maybe it's because I watched it at 3 a.m. when I couldn't sleep, but I liked it. It's a really weird premise, for sure, but it kind of works. I saw the one with the Marine and the Hawaiian surfer, and it certainly underlined how nudity enhances the difficulty and risk. It seems silly, but a sunburn can be really serious, especially in high heat with no fresh water supply! And hatchet-fishing in a coral cove in bare feet didn't look like much of a picnic.

I'm with Mauvaise - the nudity didn't distract me or strike me as sexual at all. But I admit I'm unusually comfortable with nakedness in general. Oh, and never mind them being squeamish by blurring body parts - I really want to know how that woman dealt with her period! Did they give her tampons on the sly? Did she just bleed down her legs for a week, and they edited out the graphic footage? Did she weave herself a set of palm frond and coconut husk maxi pads? (I would believe that of her.)
Old 07-11-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unauthorized Cinnamon View Post
I really want to know how that woman dealt with her period![/I] Did they give her tampons on the sly? Did she just bleed down her legs for a week, and they edited out the graphic footage? Did she weave herself a set of palm frond and coconut husk maxi pads? (I would believe that of her.)
Same here. I'm guessing she took birth control to stop her period for that month.

What about pooping? I assume they excused themselves to go do that in private, but without access to toilet paper, do you just walk around with poop-butt until you find a stream to bathe in? Are you going to walk around with poop-butt, naked, around a member of the opposite sex?!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Depending where you are, there are various leaves that are large enough to work as a makeshift toilet paper.

I haven't watched the show, the ads haven't got me interested enough.

I'm not surprised a producer had his foot severely damaged by a snake bite. I've seen my share of copperheads and rattlesnakes in relatively populated campgrounds and hiking trails. You figure enough people go traipsing around in wilderness jungles, somebody is going to get bit by a poisonous snake. They're all over the jungle, they hide, and you're almost guaranteed that eventually someone is going to surprise one.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unauthorized Cinnamon View Post
Oh, and never mind them being squeamish by blurring body parts - I really want to know how that woman dealt with her period! Did they give her tampons on the sly? Did she just bleed down her legs for a week, and they edited out the graphic footage? Did she weave herself a set of palm frond and coconut husk maxi pads? (I would believe that of her.)
Maybe she used one of these? It would make sense in such a situation. At least that was my first thought :shrug:

Another thing that's occurred to me while watching this: Do men seriously have a lower pain threshold than women? I've heard it's true, but now I'm starting to believe it. I'm not making light of the infected foot or the sunburn that's already aired -- I realize they'd be painful for anybody -- but the men involved struck me as either being very hypersensitive or playing up the pain for the cameras...?

Last edited by kiz; 07-11-2013 at 05:06 PM..
Old 07-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Foxtrot View Post
Same here. I'm guessing she took birth control to stop her period for that month.
It would seem sensible, but in this case, they specifically said she'd gotten her period and was having terrible cramps.
Quote:
What about pooping? I assume they excused themselves to go do that in private, but without access to toilet paper, do you just walk around with poop-butt until you find a stream to bathe in? Are you going to walk around with poop-butt, naked, around a member of the opposite sex?!
Well, this episode had a memorable moment when the girl
SPOILER:
stepped in the guy's poop then yelled at him for pooping near the shelter and not burying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post
Maybe she used one of these? It would make sense in such a situation. At least that was my first thought :shrug:
Technically it would violate the "bring one item only" rule, and gads, how would you rinse it out? My serious guess is they gave her tampons, hopefully without going through the ruse that they washed up on shore.
Quote:
Another thing that's occurred to me while watching this: Do men seriously have a lower pain threshold than women? I've heard it's true, but now I'm starting to believe it. I'm not making light of the infected foot or the sunburn that's already aired -- I realize they'd be painful for anybody -- but the men involved struck me as either being very hypersensitive or playing up the pain for the cameras...?
Haven't seen the infected foot, but in the Marine's case, I'm thinking he is an excellent military man, brave and tough, but perhaps only functions well when being given orders and with a clear plan? He didn't seem great at decision-making. And I think the immediacy and severity of the burn caught him off guard and undid his psyche quite a bit. So he was whiny and stupid for a while.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM

If you like this sort of thing check out the unusual book Castaway or the movie adapation of it. They weren't quite dumped on island naked, but they ran into the same problems being discussed for this show. It seemed like a rather unique concept 30 years ago, but the show Survivor and other like this new one indicate this is something many people have considered doing, or enjoy hearing about.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:15 AM
SD Curator of Critters

I just saw the episode filmed in Panama. Having camped on the islands where they filmed (admittedly not naked) I have to say I wasn't at all impressed with the survival skills of the two participants.

- They were eaten alive by sandflies. These are a pest on the islands, but only near the beach. They could have avoided most of the bites by moving their camp a few hundred yards into the forest.

- They were virtually starving after a couple of weeks. This on an island with coconut palms. Coconuts may be monotonous, but they do give you plenty of food. They made a big deal of catching one baby caiman, but they should have had a fairly easy time catching green or black iguanas or larger caimans. They showed a boa constrictor, which could have provided food for several days. The woman eventually gathered up some sea urchins and caught some spiny lobsters, but I don't think it should have been that difficult to catch a few fish, even if they were small ones.

- They made a big deal out of the guy being so afraid of sharks that he didn't want to fish, but sharks are not a big danger in Panama. I've gone swimming all along the coasts of Panama and never heard of there being a problem. They were also afraid of being chased by the mother caiman when they caught the baby, but since they had a machete and even adult caimans aren't that big they could have whacked it and had an even bigger meal.

- Most of the conflict seemed to come from the pair bickering, rather than any real survival challenges.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
OMG, if you don't want to see a foot stripped of its flesh to the point of clearly seeing *multiple* bones, DO NOT by any means click on the following link:
[spoiler]Seriously, this is pretty graphic! If you're squeamish or near meal-time, you should probably think twice before clicking on this link! REAL GORY PHOTO FOLLOWS:
Yes, and DON'T do like I did when I saw the crawl during the program and wiki "Fer de lance". Great googlymoogly! Makes me glad to live elsewhere!

The B. asper entry featured a wound that had been treated with only antibiotics for 2 weeks. Spoiler: it's not enough.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
- They were virtually starving after a couple of weeks. This on an island with coconut palms. Coconuts may be monotonous, but they do give you plenty of food.
On the Maldives episode they made a point to mention that coconuts are good to eat, for awhile, but they're also a natural diuretic and will make you sick if you eat too many of them.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkboard View Post
If that's to be believed, the Maldives must be completely buried in beach trash jetsam.
The Maldives are indeed overflowing with trash and have problems with lots of it washing up on the beach in places. I agree with you, though, that trash that just happens to be very convenient for the show seems deliberately placed.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:32 AM

There's lots of jetsam. Finding what you need would just be tedious, so they cut that step out.
Haven't seen the show, just commenting in general. Finding something you could wear would just take time.

And yeah, you can't live on coconuts alone... and getting them down and eating them is harder than it may look.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Yes, I've seen it.

Quote:
I've seen the first two episodes so far. I was always hoping for a real survival show as an answer to Survivor, but this one just seems like an excuse to show nudity¹. I'm no prude, but couldn't the same thing be accomplished by putting the people in flesh-colored bathing suits and not have it distract from the survival element?
I think the idea is that people are at a disadvantage when they are naked...they (we) feel more vulnerable. And in fact, we ARE more vulnerable, especially to the elements.

To me, the nudity doesn't detract from the survival elements, which are quite real. One of the shows I watched had the male nearly die after drinking some unfiltered river water (he basically had to drink it since it was take the chance on river water or pass out from dehydration).

Quote:
This show is certainly for real. I could see someone dying easily on the show if they continue to put people into these extreme situations. I've often joked that a REAL survival show (as opposed to shows like Survivor) would drop a person into Borneo with a butter knife...but it's no joke when they actually did something very similar to that on one episode. It shows you that even with good survival skills (all the participants have those) you just never know.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Are you going to walk around with poop-butt, naked, around a member of the opposite sex?!
I'm pretty sure this would be the least of my worries. There's the whole "staying alive" issue at hand. I'm not modest though. If someone doesn't want to see my poop butt in the wild, they should turn their head.

Last edited by Girlundone; 07-24-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 AM

Survivorman and Naked & Afraid both show how brutal survival can be. Even with training these people basically starve for days and days at a time. Making fire isn't always possible in wet conditions. Several of the people on Naked & Afraid are survival instructors and they've been really humbled by their experience. That big 6' 4" woman gave up after 18 days because she couldn't catch any food and her partner had been rushed to the hospital after 9 days. The occasional worm or bug just isn't enough over 21 days. Nearly all these people on N&A drop 20 to 30 lbs.

I'm surprised the "survival instructors" aren't choosing iodine as there one survival item. Standard 2% drug store works pretty well. 5 to 10 drops per quart of water and wait a minimum of 30 minutes. It's also important to wipe off the bottle or container where your mouth will touch with the iodine water. Pathogens can hide there and make you sick. You should also filter the water through cloth first but N&A people are naked.

Instead the big 6' 4" woman brought a pot. Couldn't get a fire started and they didn't have safe water. But they had the useless pot.

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-24-2013 at 09:51 AM..
Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 AM

**update** That was Julie and Puma in Borneo.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

I saw a few episodes the other night. Interesting premise, but either the people are forced to go with the conceit or they're idiots. Specifically, in the African episode, they hop out of the jeeps, shuck their clothes and start hiking three miles to a water hole through thorn-infested grasslands. I don't care what they call the show, if there are four inch thorns on the ground, the first thing I'm going to do is make myself a pair of sandals, even if I have to cobble them together out of tree bark and the remains of dead zebras.

I get it that they were in a hurry to get to water, but if you're gingerly creeping through the grass, you're not going to be making any speed. And one foot injury or infection and you've just sunk to the bottom of the African food chain.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:10 PM

Not to mention if there are Fer de lances (pit vipers) about, you don't want your junk hanging out like a meal-sized thermal pinata. They may not look like REI gear but I'm getting my feet, head and organs covered.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
Interesting premise, but either the people are forced to go with the conceit or they're idiots.
I came across the show last night and could not believe people would do this. I thought it must be for money but apparently they are just doing it for bragging rights. I watched another episode tonight to see if it got any better and it looks like they spend most of the time utterly miserable and just trying not to starve to death before they can get out of there. There aren't a whole lot of survivor skills on display. I don't see the appeal of many episodes of that.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 AM

I caught Discovery's reruns last night -- I hadn't seen the Borneo episode, but god, that was scary between Puma contracting whatever-it-was from drinking untreated water and being airlifted out of there to Julie nearly freaking out a few days later from being totally alone. Two totally believable scenarios IF you were ever caught as a castaway on a jungle island.

And that's the point, IMO, about survival shows. In some cases the scenarios may be manufactured, but they're ALL plausible. I'd like to think that, in all my years of watching them, I'd remember a lot of it, but who's to say that I wouldn't choke IF I ever found myself IRL in a survival situation, naked and afraid?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
I don't care what they call the show, if there are four inch thorns on the ground, the first thing I'm going to do is make myself a pair of sandals, even if I have to cobble them together out of tree bark and the remains of dead zebras.
Yes, the premise is supposed to be that they start naked and afraid, not that they have to remain that way.

So Mythbusters did a show where they put Jamie and Adam on a "deserted Island" with duck tape as their only survival tool. They had shirts and pants, but no shoes. The conceit was they had as much duck tape as they needed to do anything they conceived of, so they staged it with a shipping pallet of duck tape "washed up on shore". I.e. a shitload of duck tape.

One of the first things Adam had to do was stop working in the hot sun and make a hat. He made a duck tape fedora. Because of his light skin, he was especially susceptible to the solar rays and heat. Jamie had his permanently-affixed beret.

Shortly after that, they each devised sandals when they decided they had to go exploring. Two different approaches, both made servicable shoes. Because hiking around in bare feet on volcanic rock is going to beat those babies up.

I think, if I were forced on the show, I would agree "I start naked." As soon as you're out of the jeep and stripped off, it's fair game for anything you can devise from nature and your one item (and your partner's one item).

Mythbusters made a case for ducktape if you can have an unlimited supply. If you're limited to 1 roll or only as much as you can carry, I might be less enthusiastic about that choice.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

"Survivorman" basically starved for a week for each episode. It's not that big a deal for a fit person to go with almost no food for a week. Les would hunt and gather, but finding food was always low priority on his show.

That's the classic rule of three, showing survival priorities:

3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. If you don't have shelter from the heat/cold, forget about food or water, concentrate on protecting yourself. And if you don't have safe water, forget about food.

But this show is considerably longer, and 30 days with almost no food is bad times.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post
I caught Discovery's reruns last night -- I hadn't seen the Borneo episode, but god, that was scary between Puma contracting whatever-it-was from drinking untreated water and being airlifted out of there to Julie nearly freaking out a few days later from being totally alone. Two totally believable scenarios IF you were ever caught as a castaway on a jungle island.

And that's the point, IMO, about survival shows. In some cases the scenarios may be manufactured, but they're ALL plausible. I'd like to think that, in all my years of watching them, I'd remember a lot of it, but who's to say that I wouldn't choke IF I ever found myself IRL in a survival situation, naked and afraid?
(Bolding mine)Except she wasn't totally alone - she had cameramen following her around everywhere, and they had the ability to call for an airlift out, just like her partner got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
But this show is considerably longer, and 30 days with almost no food is bad times.
Pretty sure it's 21 days.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
On the Maldives episode they made a point to mention that coconuts are good to eat, for awhile, but they're also a natural diuretic and will make you sick if you eat too many of them.
Maybe if that was your sole diet for an extended period. But they had just endured several straight days of rain, so fresh drinking water would have been abundant (if they had taken precautions to collect it). They shouldn't have a problem replenishing electrolytes since they were right on the sea and had salt available.

In the Panama episode, it seemed that they might not have been taking advantage of the smaller animals as food sources. The area they were in should have had small crabs, snails, clams, and oysters. Boil them up in water and you have a nice bouillabaisse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Foxtrot
I've been caught short a few times in the forest, and soft leaves or moss generally be found with a little looking around. Drier areas can be a problem, but dry dusty soil can be used in a pinch. But all these folks would have access to water, so you can just clean yourself that way (especially if you're on the shore as in the Panama episode). This would really be the least of your problems.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
(Bolding mine)Except she wasn't totally alone - she had cameramen following her around everywhere, and they had the ability to call for an airlift out, just like her partner got.
Except even when Puma was going downhill fast with his illness, he had to wait until morning for medics to get to him. Overnight it was just them and their personal cameras.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 AM

We've been watching this, and my GF, a horticulturalist and a vegetarian, is always complaining that they seem to be completely reliant on finding and eating meat, and don't seem to be bothering to find edible plants at all. While this is not entirely true, there have been a few instances where the participants came across a fruit tree, or coconuts, I agree that they do seem to be over-reliant on fishing and hunting for food, usually unsuccessfully.

However the flipside of that, I would argue, is that edible plants aren't as common as some people would lead you to believe, and can be difficult to identify for those who are not experts (not to mention those whose judgement may be impaired from exposure/hunger/thirst).
Old 07-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Yes, identifying edible animals (all mammals and birds, most reptiles, the majority of fish) is much easier than identifying edible plants, especially when you are thousands of miles from familiar territory.

One thing that surprised me was how crucial the mental game is. In one episode, the narrator mentioned that dehydration and malnutrition can cause depression, which saps motivation. That can be more dangerous than the physical hardships.

The Louisiana episode was an interesting example. The man had lots of useful knowledge and skills; but emotionally, he was rather brittle. The woman was highly dependent on him; and yet it was her will to keep going that kept him from quitting.

Teamwork is essential. If the Panama couple had just swallowed their own egos, they would have been much less miserable. Once the Maldives couple stopped fighting and started working together, their quality of life improved dramatically.

One thing that struck me is how the macho alpha males tend to get themselves into trouble. They either get injured, or they get dehydrated, or they drink un-sterilized water. Then they spend several days bedridden, while the woman has to pull double duty.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 AM

That Louisiana episode was nuts with all of the poisonous snakes surrounding their camp (until it flooded). They're really out in the shit. I wonder if that's the episode where a production guy got bitten on the foot?

Also, we were in New Orleans in late March and it was strangely unseasonably cold, which is something they were dealing with. I'm guessing they filmed around the same time we were down there.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:23 PM

I've seen most, not all of the episodes. The men seem to have a high level of survival training but are almost universally mentally weak. The women seem more stable and tend to whine much less.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
That Louisiana episode was nuts with all of the poisonous snakes surrounding their camp (until it flooded). They're really out in the shit. I wonder if that's the episode where a production guy got bitten on the foot?
The producer was in South America, bitten by a fer-de-lance, which is a poisonous snake that does not inhabit North American (thank Og). Don't know what poisonous snakes, but give Louisiana I'm presuming many of them were water moccassins. They can be testy and aggressive.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nope. That was a fer de lance bite. IIRC, the guy was scouting locations for the first episode.