Wondering about Can Am Spyder type motorcycles

I really wasn’t sure if this should go in GD or here. Mods, feel free to move this where it’s most appropriate.

I’ve seen those Can Am Spyder type motorcycles; 2 wheels in front and one in back. What I’m wondering is WHY? They have to be some advantages and some disadvantages compared to a standard trike or 2 wheeled bike. What are they? :confused:

Well, I’ll tell you this: if you’re anything like me and you’ve got experience riding a regular motorcycle, you’ll hate it. YMMV, but the spouse and I both test rode them a few years ago, and unless they’ve changed them, they’re very non-intuitive for motorcycle riders. For example:

1. They steer strangely. On a motorcycle you countersteer. On a Spyder you turn the bars a lot more. I near ran mine off the road once because the steering wasn’t responsive.

2. They might have changed this (I certainly hope they did) but on the ones we rode, the only brake was a foot brake. It was plenty powerful, but every time the Spyder jounced on the pavement, I kept accidentally hitting the brake. Very unnerving.

It wasn’t just me having these problems: the spouse was too (though I had more trouble with the steering than he did). Both of us have many years of motorcycle experience.

As for advantages: 3 wheels are more stable than two, so less confident riders might have an easier time with them (especially if they don’t have motorcycle habits to unlearn). Plus, IMO at least, Spyders look cooler than trikes.

I own one. Have since 2010. Owned more than a dozen bikes over the years from dirt bikes, small street bikes and large street bikes. I’ve been riding for over 40 years and thankfully only dropped a bike once and only got a few scratches. the longer you ride, the greater the risks of a more serious collision. I will admit that there was a “learning curve” with the Can Am. But as I got older I wanted to keep riding but wanted to minimize the risks. The Can Am is awesome. Zero to 60 in about 4 seconds, power steering and disc brakes all around. Comfortable and of course, very stable.

They are a bit pricy, but the choice is spend it now or leave it to the kids. :slight_smile:

As I said recently in another thread, I’ve been riding a Cam-Am Spyder since May 2012. I really enjoy it.

The main reason I bought it over a conventional bike is its stability at rest, meaning, you do not have to hold a heavy two-wheeler upright and manhandle it around in a parking lot. The fact that it comes with a reverse gear is also a bonus.

Two wheels in front is said to be more stable than two wheels in back but I can’t really argue that point cuz I don’t know the physics involved.

I suspect they might be more stable in a turn than a standard trike.

So what about the protective gear? Is the same level of body protection necessary/advised for a CanAm as for a street bike. I’m thinking specifically of riding on blistering hot summer days.

It’s always a good idea to wear protective gear–Spyders are still essentially motorcycles, and even though they’re more stable, you’ll still get hurt if you get hit. They do make a lot of nice mesh gear nowadays now, with armor inserts. A lot cooler than full leathers.

100% of the danger of a two-wheeler, 10% of the fun.

Not a good deal in my opinion. I mean, the fun of riding a motorcycle is leaning into curves on a twisty, narrow road.

I do understand the attraction, though, for trikes: they are for people physically (and maybe mentally) unable to ride true motorcycles.

When I reach th age/condition that I cannot ride my two-wheeled Yamaha sports bike, I’ll buy a two-seater sports car convertible before I buy any version of a trike.

Trikes just look goofy.

We saw a lot of these while in Colorado recently and I’ve got an odd question for the experts:

Do they have a reverse gear?

I would’ve *sworn *I saw one backing (uphill) out of a parking space, but traffic prevented watching it long enough to be sure.

And as long as I’m showing my ignorance… Are there other motorcycles with reverse gear? Do any “regular” (2-wheeled) bikes have a reverse?

I think the Spyder does have reverse.

The only other bike I know does (or at least used to) is the Honda GoldWing, which is a huge tourer.

Pretty sure the big Harley tourers don’t.

I don’t think Spiff knows what he’s talking about, probably never been on a Spyder. Yes, they do have a reverse gear. Proud owner of a 2013 Can Am Spyder, after owning a 2009 model and various two wheel bikes before.

So, catflea12, can you give a quick comparo between a standard 2 wheel bike and a CanAm? I mean something more than the fact that it doesn’t tip over when you stop. :slight_smile:

Trikes and sidecars live in a weird little bit of limbo in some states. In California, for example, if it has three wheels, you do not need to hold a motorcycle license to drive it. This little quirk may be just enough to attract some people who want something motorcycle-ish but without having to actually learn how to ride a motorcycle.

I never understood the reasoning as you still had to know about 99% of what it takes to safely ride a motorcycle - about the only difference I could see is that a trike or sidecar will stay upright on its own.

My uncle just bought his second Spyder. He got one when they first came out and upgraded to a new model not too long ago. He’s a big man, think 6’5" and about 400 pounds, and he wasn’t comfortable on a regular motorcycle. He used to ride regular motorcycles but as he got older he didn’t feel as stable on a motorcycle as he does on the Spyder.

First of all, they are maybe 50% of the danger. Not all that much more dangerous than a sports car (I have both a Spyder and a MINI Cooper “S” Roadster), as for leaning in and out of curves on “twisties” – it’s a totally different, but still a blast on the Can Am.

A Can Am isn’t a “trike”, it is technically a “open roadster”. And it will blow the doors off virtually every street bike on the road.

And when you “reach the age” come back and report in. I assure you that you have no idea what you will do next year, never mind 10, 20 or more years from now. :smiley:

Hmm…still happily scooting at this point. I have a Stella Px150 2-stroke and a Yamaha Vino125. Got curious and had to look up cost of the Can Am Spyder. Who knows what I will want to do when I can no longer scooter…I’m only 50. I don’t want to even think about it yet :eek:!

Quicksilver, I guess the biggest difference between the Can Am and a two wheel bike is that on a 2-wheeler both you and the bike lean in corners, on a Can Am only the driver leans.

They were designed to appeal to snowmobile riders, not bikers. They wanted to tap the off season market.

I think they’re fugly. I would much sooner have a motorcycle with a detachable side car.

Ha! That’s a good one!

Yeah, I’m gonna have to call shenanigans on that one too. There are some pretty fast street bikes out there.