Fucking fake quotes on the internet

All those fake Einstein quotes that keep floating around really get me pissed off, but usually one can find out the actual origin of the quote, for instance, an excerpt from a book about Einstein that is attributed to the man himself. Irritating, true, but…

This quote that people keep posting and sharing on FB, and that is confirmed by a gazillion blogs, and that is even posted in Goodreads as coming from Bob Marley is worse than irritating.

If Bob Marley did indeed write this, I will never say a single word about misquotes or fake quotes online. If he didn’t, and you know who actually wrote it, I’d appreciate the info. Usual sources fail me.

This was warned about a long time ago.

I thought it was Mark Twain that said that.

I think he stole it from Lincoln’s blog. (or was it twitter?)

Blame Google for some of that.

A dog never sleeps on Sunday.
Albert Einstein

Give Google a few days and I’ll bet that quote pops up in a search somewhere.

Disclamer. Einstein never said that as far as I know.

Just think, if Lincoln had stayed home to watch the pirated DVD he downloaded, he’d be alive today.

Actually, it goes all the way back to Chaucer.

TL;DR; spent too long listening to high people going on and on about bullshit. If he were a cute girl I’d pretend to listen, but he wasn’t.

(went back and tried to read it but went into a diabetic coma)

When did Einstein, Marley, Twain, or Chaucer write for Hallmark Greeting Cards? Has anybody glurgish ever READ any Einstein, Marley, Twain, or Chaucer?

ETA: Yes, I know Chaucer was a joke, but as Morgenstern pointed out, thanks to Google it isn’t anymore.

Well, I’m afraid of posting what I found so far, because your point is a very good one, but the example that you picked is likely to be the real thing:

We only need to confirm if about 5 years ago a collection of poems and writings by Bob Marley was published called “Full circle a life as Bob Marley”, a few cites report that that is the source of that quote:

So far, Snopes and others I check for things like this are not reporting that anything is amiss regarding this quote, so, until further information, I can say that it is likely to be a real quote from Bob Marley.

It was Mark Twain that said, “Fuck that shit! I’m Outtie!”

This cite seems to show images from the collection and points at Marley as the author, but annoyingly the author in this case does not point at the specific source, but it seems to be the same one as others mentioned.

http://www.rebellesociety.com/2013/04/24/bob-marley-on-the-life-altering-symptoms-of-falling-and-staying-in-love/

I can’t vouch for the reliability of this source.

I recently got into it with some friends about Admiral Yamamoto’s line about how Japan didn’t invade the U.S. because the citizenry was armed. That quote is all over the web, mostly on pro-gun sites. Too bad there’s no evidence he ever said that.

Thank you for your help. I had found the examples you mention, but even Bob Marley’s official site does not mention any book with that title, so I’m still more than dubious. To paraphrase dropzone, Bob Marley’s writing couldn’t really be used for a greeting card (or a grandmother’s kindly advice to her teen-age granddaughter). http://www.bobmarley.com/

I don’t care if God wrote it. I wouldn’t read my own free pass from my own execution if it doesn’t use paragraphs.

Actually I also did check the official cite, the flaw in your logic is that there are no other books mentioned there either and yet there are many books published about Bob Marley.

What it is interesting to me is that the official site does link to Pinterest, that is one of the links that I mentioned early.

BTW, the publication the quote came from was reported to be a journal, so it is not clear that it was ever in book form. Can not reach that contributor to Rebelle society as their site is down for maintenance until September.

It was misheard, he said “Fuck that shit, I’ve got an Audi” when he was accosted by a Ford salesman at the mall.

I think I have to clarify that while something is likely, it does not mean that it is confirmed, so to report on the situation as it is now: so far the quote can be put, as Snopes could say so, as undetermined.

Nothing wrong with my logic. I was under the impression, from your post, that the posthumous book of works and poems would have been BY Bob Marley, that would place it in a different category.

Linking to pinterest is about a million times less credible than a link to wikepedia.