The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 08-05-2013, 06:47 PM

How often do cops ask to search your car during a traffic stop

On videos of civil rights, there is an implication that a police officer will want to search your car if he pulls you over, and they tell you how to refuse that.

However I have been pulled over probably a half dozen times in my life for various reasons, and never once had a cop ask to search my car.

Is this a common practice (a cop stopping you for a traffic infraction, then asking to search your vehicle) or do they only reserve that if you seem to fit the MO of someone they really suspect of engaging in criminal activity (drug user, burglar, etc)?
Advertisements  
Old 08-05-2013, 07:10 PM

I've been pulled over a handful of times and never asked to search my car. Including one time where the cop followed me a ways while I did some rapid lane changes without signalling (he was in an unmarked car, was trying to figure out why some random dude was following me) and another where the cop gave me crap for driving an extra couple hundred yards before pulling over (thought I was doing him a favor by pulling into a strip mall parking lot rather than alongside the busy three lane road at night).

Point being that even my less straight-forward stops still haven't resulted in a requested search.

Last edited by Jophiel; 08-05-2013 at 07:11 PM..
Old 08-05-2013, 07:29 PM

Don't look like the cop should search you.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Maybe twice, when I was a teenager. Never since then.

I still advise my seniors on the proper way to refuse a search when we get to the 4th Amendment in class.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Even when my dad and I were stopped on suspicion of just having robbed a place (we were transporting my brothers stuff to his new place and our car apparently looked like the suspects) our car wasn't searched. The closest was when my mom and I broke down on the freeway and a cop stopped to help us and asked what was in a small doctor's-bag-looking bag in the trunk (it was just my toiletries).
Old 08-06-2013, 12:33 AM

Any of you black?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 AM

My brother-in-law speeds like there's no tomorrow and he's only been stopped once. That was about 22 years ago in Nebraska and since they were from New York the cop was suspicious. I guess he thought they were drug runners. He asked to search the car and my sister and BIL decided that in the middle of nowhere it wasn't worth arguing about. They had a piece of Indian pottery that they'd picked up at Acoma and when the officer looked at it my sister yelled "He found our pot!"

Luckily the officer didn't hear her and they got off with a speeding ticket.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 AM

I've been pulled over probably 20 times in my life - only once did they ask to search - and it wasn't really the whole car - just the glove box...

Was pulled over - went through a stop sign - saw it, but it wasn't 90 degrees - more like 45 and I would have sworn that it was for the much less busy cross street. Turned out I was wrong. Went for a while after he turned on his lights - looking for a place on the shoulder, but there was none where I was. I was a little self conscious about this - as it seemed unsafe, but I'd probably been driving for 4 minutes or so since he turned on the lights (I turned on my signal) - and didn't want to make him have an itchy trigger finger.

When he approached the car - I of course had the windows down - hands on the steering a wheel. When he asked for license and registration - I gave him my license, but my hands were shaking real bad (had no idea why - I didn't FEEL nervous). He asked why I was so nervous - I said I didn't know. He asked for the registration and I said I didn't have it. He asked if I was sure - he'd be happy to wait while I looked through the glove box. I said "no - I know it's not in there". He said something like - "most people like to look around first, but ok".

He was about the nicest cop ever. He came back with a warning and I had mentioned I was only passing through there cause I took a wrong turn, he made sure I knew how to get back and knew the area I had made the mistake in and said it was common.

He asked if I would show him the glove box. I said no. He asked why not, and I said, "cause I know I don't have to." I think this might have been part of his shtick, but I got the impression I hurt his feelings. It actually made me feel bad. He said something like - "you're 100% right - I'm just asking you as a favor - I just want to see if there are any guns in there". I've actually sued the govt before for violating my rights - in both state and federal court (so I have no problem asserting my rights), but I just felt like I giant dick in this case.

I opened up the glove compartment, lifted up the crap load of papers that were in there (enough to see there were no guns or kilo blocks of cocaine, but not enough that a well concealed joint or Baggie of heroin would have been noticed. He seemed more than happy with this display - and never so much had his hand anywhere in my car.

He was very nice afterwards and just explained why he thought I was acting suspicious (apparently the not even so much pretending i had my registration is what really raised a red flag) and wished me a good day.

I didn't feel like my rights were violated at all. I am 95% sure he would have let me go without searching it if I had said no. He didn't have to give me the warning - and I felt it was a fair trade

ETA: White bread here - casual white collar dress with white collar car. Car is even painted white.

Last edited by DataX; 08-06-2013 at 01:10 AM..
Old 08-06-2013, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

I wonder if there is a certain amount of profiling that goes on.

I've never been searched either. But my truck is always in pristine shape and I've always been clean shaven and nicely dressed.

Those guys you see on cops always have copious amounts of trash scattered through out the car and they themselves look like they could use a shower along with a change of clothes

Plus, I'm white, I guess that doesn't hurt.

Last edited by Shakes; 08-06-2013 at 01:22 AM..
Old 08-06-2013, 03:19 AM

Their"s suppose to be some form of reasonable suspicion to get to this point.. and note i said "suppose"... ive had several incidents where a fellow officer called me over to search and when asked why just gave me a blank look..
My son will be driving next year and I'm pretty sure he and I will have a conversation about this... him being 6'5 16 yrs old with dreadlocks and black will undoubtedly lead to me needing to prepare him for this reality..
Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 AM

I drive onto a military base frequently. They do random searches both going on and off base. I get searched about once a year.

The last time my car was searched after being pulled over was in 1973. The last time I was pulled over was in 1982.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 AM

I've only had two traffic stops in my driving career (not counting accidents) and neither time did the officer request to search my car. Likewise after the couple of accidents I was involved in.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:45 AM

Even when I was pulled over for failure to pay insurance (looooong story) and they towed my car, nobody searched it. They just dumped it in a lot with 1 MILLION other cars.

I think there must be profiling. I'm always respectful and I'm pretty clearly an American woman (albeit with a funny name), with no trace of an accent and a clean driving record, not exactly a hotbed of criminal activity.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Pulled over roughly the same amount, and I was never subjected to a search. The first time I was pulled over was in Indiana for speeding, and about 6 squad cars pulled us over (they were antsy as they just had a chase over the weekend that smashed up a police car, and they thought they had another chase because I was a little slow to pull over--long story.) It was me driving my friend's car, and two friends, one white and one black. One of them had been smoking dope in the car no less than 20 minutes prior, much to my protestations. The cop that pulled me over took me to the front seat of his squad while he wrote me up a ticket (he actually was quite nice and bumped me down to the lowest speeding category), but a sheriff that pulled up while he was writing the ticket went to my passengers and asked them for their IDs, something I'd never seen before.

But that's where it ended. They never asked to search the car. How the pot smell dissipated in that time, I don't know. I know my smoking friend was freaked, but we got out without incident and a minor speeding ticket, despite apparently being pulled over by half the town's police force.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 AM

It's not necessarily "profiling" to think somebody is hiding something or holding something.
We've all seen people that were obviously up to no good, people we would have searched if we were cops and pulled them over.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
Any of you black?
Nope. White and I suffer under the curse of obvious clean living: short hair, clean shaven, wear a lot of khakis and polos.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 AM

Twice I've had cops ask to search my car, both were when I was young, maybe 18-19. I think both times were because the cops just assumed that as a kid I must be getting into trouble.

The first time is actually a pretty funny story, I was detained because the cop claimed he thought I had stolen property (I didn't, and he had no good reason to think so) and he wanted to search my trunk. I refused, and he gave me the whole "If you did nothing wrong, you've got nothing to hide. Why don't you let me search?" to which I responded because I don't have to. Seeing as the car was registered in my father's name, he said he could get his permission instead, and we had to actually call my dad, and the conversation was something like "I want to search the car your son is driving but your son is refusing" "What makes you think I'd say anything different?" "Sir, do you have any idea who you're talking to?" "...Do you?" Then before he let me go, I heard him mutter under his breath "Damned Constitutionalists." to which I quipped "Actually, I'm a libertarian." It's funny to think that I owned the cop like that, but it's also disturbing that a cop is frustrated that a citizen knew his rights. I'm inclined this one was because one of the friends with me was black and we were all young.

A few months later, I was pulled over for doing something silly like 42 in a 40 with a couple other people in the car. The cop wanted to search my car claiming that he smelled marijuana. I told him that was impossible since I've never smoked it (completely true) so he must be mistaken, and I refused. He then called backup and they asked me to step out of the car and tried to get me out of earshot of the others in my car where he proceeded to make threats about how he knew I had drugs, they were going to search my car anyway, and when they found them I'd go to jail. At which point I yelled back to those in my car "Hey, you all heard him threaten me and that they're searching my car without consent, right?" "Yup". They searched my car anyway and, of course, found nothing. They tried to play it all off then, "Oh, well, we'll let you off for speeding with a warning this time." I tried to get their badge numbers, but they hurried got in their cruisers and drove away after that. I'm inclined to think this was because I'd just left a metal concert at a small club, and of course I was dressed the part in black and all, and it also happened to be Halloween night, so I guess the cop was bored (and an unethical ass) and figured some kids leaving a metal show on Halloween must be up to no good.

Either way, both of those incidents were when I was young. Since then, I have noticed that cops treat me better as I've gotten older, though driving around an older car got me pulled over about every 6-12 months, often for no reason. But since I got a nice car a few years ago, I've only been pulled over once, admittedly for going well above the speed limit that time, so the cop pretty much had to give me a ticket. So, at least in my experience in this area, it definitely seems like attempted searches, and perhaps just pulling people over in general, are probably profiled.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 AM

3 times out of the 7 or so times I've ever been pulled over.

All of them when I was 16-20 working night jobs and driving home after 11 or so.

Once, I was leaving a golf course I was working at the was having a party and they thought I was drinking. Once, I was coming home at 4 in the morning from the movie theater with boxes covered with a blanket in the back of my car, and once at midnight in an area known for making meth on my way home from working at a Walgreens.

I'm white, fairly clean cut looking, but my car is always a mess with a huge amount of random boxes and other stuff in it (tools, first aid kit, card games, board games, camping stuff, fishing stuff, etc.).
Old 08-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Since this is a poll, moved MPSIMS to IMHO.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySTL View Post
I drive onto a military base frequently. They do random searches both going on and off base. I get searched about once a year.

The last time my car was searched after being pulled over was in 1973. The last time I was pulled over was in 1982.
Also on military bases frequently and get tossed at least 3 or 4 times a year.

Funniest time was when I was moving a lamb in my IH Scout. I had the back end lined with a blue tarp, a bale of hay and a baby sheep. The gate guard lifted the tail hatch, the lamb looked up and went mmmmeeeeehhhhhh, the guard looked flustered and said that perhaps he didn't have to search the truck after all. [I was taking Opal <hi Opal> to be used for show and tell in the kindergarten class a friend of mine had. The kids loved seeing and touching a real live lamb]
Old 08-06-2013, 03:07 PM

Been a cop for 15 years. I have never asked anyone for a consent to search their car after a motor vehicle stop.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Been a cop for 15 years. I have never asked anyone for a consent to search their car after a motor vehicle stop.
Just to be clear, you never searched a car after a stop, or you just never asked for consent first?

[Just helping you practice being clear; the DA will thank us both the next time you have to testify, right? ]

Last edited by Quercus; 08-06-2013 at 03:21 PM..
Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM

Back when I was a bartender and was often driving at 3am in a crappy pickup with a Grateful Dead bumper sticker, I would get pulled over probably twice a month. About 75% of the time I was asked if they could search, I always refused, and they always accepted my refusal.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:03 PM

Never while I was driving, but once while someone else was driving.

Searches that occur during seemingly routine traffic stops aren't always random though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grN5aAlfxkc
Old 08-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRC View Post
My brother-in-law speeds like there's no tomorrow and he's only been stopped once. That was about 22 years ago in Nebraska and since they were from New York the cop was suspicious. I guess he thought they were drug runners. . . .
If you're driving a car with California rental plates through Colorado Springs . . .
Old 08-06-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
Just to be clear, you never searched a car after a stop, or you just never asked for consent first?

[Just helping you practice being clear; the DA will thank us both the next time you have to testify, right? ]
Lemme guess: He means he only searches cars when he's sure he has probable cause, in which case he doesn't need no steenkin consent.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 AM

I've been stopped half a dozen times over the years (for speeding each time), and never been asked for a search. I'm a average looking white guy who keeps my vehicles in good condition.

I had a better than average-looking (white) friend while growing up who turned into a druggie in his early 20's. He told me every time he drove into our small town he would get pulled over and searched.

The other day I saw 2 police cars had a really beat-up Honda Civic pulled over, it was so beat up that it didn't have a front fender. I suspect a vehicle like that is a cop magnet.

Last edited by control-z; 08-07-2013 at 10:09 AM..
Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post

I've never performed a straight consent search. But in New Jersey the rules are tighter on such things than most states and stricter than what SCOTUS allows.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:47 PM

Between traffic stops and sobriety checkpoints I've been pulled over 30 or more times. No one has ever asked to search the car. I'm a scruffy non-hispanic white guy who's usually poorly dressed, in a cheapish to downright trashy car. One cop thought I was an illegal Mexican immigrant, but all he did was annoy me for a few minutes.

I can't think of a situation where I'd refuse to consent to a vehicle search. If they want to frame me for something, then they are bad guys and I'm already fucked. Bleating about my rights isn't going to help and might result in a beating. Being in the right won't put your teeth back in your head.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 PM

I've been pulled over twice, once when I was 18 and once at 26. When I was 18 they did ask to search the car and I consented (later I felt that this was stupid as it was my brother's old car and he regularly used drugs). I'm not surprised that the officer wanted to search the car as I was young, it was about 9:30 at night and my eyes were probably bloodshot because I had just gotten off of a 10 hour shift and I had finals at the community college that morning to boot.

When I was 26 I was on the way home from work but it was only about 5:30 and I was dressed in slacks and a button down shirt with prominent ID so I am not surprised that there was no request to search.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:43 PM

Been pulled over maybe 10 times in my life, 3 speeding tickets, one underage possession of alcohol, and a DUI, but I don't know if that counts as being pulled over since I was high centered on a curb, and I wasn't going anywhere.

Never been asked to be searched, when I was arrested for "underage transportation of alcohol", my truck was absolutely ripped to shreds, everything
was tossed and gutted, but the dipshit didn't find the bottles of booze stashed behind the speakers, but he did find my stash in my backpack.

So that became "underage transportation of alcohol" "truck is too tall" and "possession of a class D".

Coming back into the US in backwoods bumfuck Montana, I did get searched, and the car. The car had several grateful dead stickers on it, I had a dead shirt on, and a Phish hat. The girlfriend had about the same. We were clean cut, not in the best car, but just 2 college kids traveling and camping on vacation.

45 minutes into the search, the whole time they are telling me how much jail time I'm going to get... they get to my girlfriends bag. There is a sock with something in it. They get all cocky, asking whats in the sock, babbling on about jail time, and my quite shy girlfriend pipes up and says, very slowly and very shyly as they start to pull the sock back "its, Uhhh, Um,,, a... Um.... massager", just as a rubber dick head pops out of the sock (and a vibrating triceratops).

3 border patrol agents turned absolutely beet red and start throwing things back in my car. We were out of there in less than a minute with a "you're free to go, have a nice day".

That was funny, and on into Montana when the speed limit was still "reasonable and prudent". Sucks that the cruise control only went to 110. Sucks even more that the car would only do 115 at that altitude.

Everyday on the way to work I go through an internal border patrol check point. Occasionally you get a dick, and you just tell them to fuck off. If they want to search, and they ask, say no, then ask "am I free to go".

They've been OK lately and basically leave me alone, but for a while they were just assholes. Every day turned into an ordeal, the whole building would clear out, supervisor trying to figure out why I'm so pissed off. 4 letter words flying.

I have zero respect for Border Patrol, even if they came to me looking for a child raping Goldman Sach's CEO, and I knew where he was, I'd tell them to go screw.

So how often do they ask? Rarely, unless you are a law abiding citizen traveling in the US and you happen across an internal Border Patrol check point. But they aren't real cops, surely aren't as smart as real cops, and apparently from their actions they have smaller penis's than real cops.

Being pulled over, I'd say you have an 85% chance of not getting a dick, I've had one SUPER DICK, and one that was a bit of a dick(short man syndrome and not very bright). The last speeding ticket I got, I filled out a compliment/complaint form and COMPLIMENTED the officer (state cop) on being friendly, courteous, competent and quick. Nice guy, and it was only $60 and I wasn't exactly being
smart.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 AM
SDSAB

Stopped maybe six times over the years; car never searched, either by officer request or over my objection.

I'm a white guy, now almost 50.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 AM

Never during a traffic stop, but once my whole car was searched thoroughly at the Canadian border. I was 19 and a bit scruffy, but didn't use drugs in those days. They found nothing interesting, but refused my entry anyway, assuming (correctly) that I was going to be working in their country without the necessary papers. I turned around and crossed at the next entry point without incident.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 AM

I've been pulled over a few times, once resulting in my car being towed. Never had a cop ask to search the car. I'm Black.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:08 PM

I had a loud, muscle-car looking Camaro for 16 years, got pulled over about once a month and searched about 50% of the time. Sold the Camaro and got an old Chevy van with no rear windows ... for the three years I had that van, I got pulled over nearly every week, and searched almost every time. Sold it and got an SUV, hardly ever get stopped anymore.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious_Marmot View Post
I can't think of a situation where I'd refuse to consent to a vehicle search. If they want to frame me for something, then they are bad guys and I'm already fucked. Bleating about my rights isn't going to help and might result in a beating. Being in the right won't put your teeth back in your head.
Where do you live that being on the receiving end of a beating by police is likely?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:38 PM

It's likely in Las Vegas. Also being planted with evidence. I used to hang out at a couple of cop bars there (long story) and that was the big brag.