The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 08-14-2013, 10:50 AM

What stereotypes do the Brits, Irish, and Scottish hold about one another?

As someone who hasn't been fortunate enough to visit the U.K. at this point in my life I often wonder about the attitudes of the populace of those countries and specifically how they view one another. Obviously because of the vast social changes in the last few hundred years I'm sure many stereotypes have disappeared or evolved over time. I'm not sure if this thread would be better suited for IMHO or not but I would like my fellow Dopers to explain the differing stereotypes the people of these countries hold about one another both in the past and in the present. I would also be interested about stereotypes within countries between different geographic locations such as North/South and East/West.
Advertisements  
Old 08-14-2013, 10:54 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Since much of this will be based on personal opinion, I think it's better suited to IMHO.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 08-14-2013, 11:02 AM

That the Welsh aren't even worth mentioning.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by RetroVertigo:
Quote:
That the Welsh aren't even worth mentioning.
Hey I love Anthony Hopkins!

Old 08-14-2013, 11:38 AM

Scottish people are also British, although some wouldn't identify as such.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:14 PM

I thought British people were those who lived on the island of Great Britian, which would include the English, Scottish, and Welsh.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:34 PM

The Scotch might tell you that the English are arrogant, ignorant, colonialist bastards who deliberately call them Scotch just to wind them up, even though it is perfectly acceptable to use such a term, which does not just pertain to an alcoholic spirit.

Speaking of "alcoholic", the Scotch are, of course, wife-beating, chronic winos, and Catholic ginger misers, so their opinion doesn't count.

Sheep-shagging thieves from Wales or spud-thick Micks from de Emerald Oisle might also venture their opinion, but the English know it all anyway, so won't listen to such peasants.

Wacky, humorous, easy-going Liverpudlians might weigh in on the Irish side, because of the origin of many people from that city, but will mostly tell you to "Calm down" as they are stealing your car wheels and selling them to buy Smaccccck and new shell-suits.

Wouldn't happen to Geordies, they won't calm down because they are ROCK HARD, man, and divvunt give a toss apart from drinkin' and fightin' (plus they are too poor to own a car, and anyway, going by car is for poofs, REAL men walk in all weathers with no coat.)

Poofs, generally speaking, include anyone South of Watford Gap, who will be a braying Hooray Henry, or a shandy drinking cock-er-ney wanker looking to rip you off and "send all the blacks home".

The North of the country is "grim", where everyone works "dahn t'pit", and hobbies include keeping pigeons, whippets and ferrets, and the flat cap is standard issue clothing. Tight-fisted Yorkshiremen will tell you straight that you are a bastard, don't expect them to be subtle about it.

People from East Anglia are not poofs, but prefer to stick to their own kind. Like their own family, mostly. They are similar to those on the other side of the country in Briztol in being carrot-crunching bumpkins with a wonder of all things mechanical.

Further South, piratical Cornishmen will welcome you bringing your tourist money to spend in their fair county, but will often not be able to wait until your purse is closed before abusing you and telling you to get out of their county and leave them in peace.

There, that just about covers most of them.

Oh, BTW, I'm from the centre of the country, the boring bit, where everyone is a little bit slow, like Ozzy (drugs or no drugs), and we all work in machine shops.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Cornholio View Post
The Scotch might tell you . . .
FYI - No luck running that through the translator. Based on viewing many hours of television from ITV and BBC, I can confirm that your observations are 100% accurate. I assume you didn't mention the SE since they are the oldest and noblest of the British people - they ruled when it was still Albion - before those snail slurping bastards screwed everything up.

Last edited by deltasigma; 08-14-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Old 08-14-2013, 04:36 PM

I suppose the one I see most often about us Scots is that we eat deep fried lard for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And drink too much.

The English are a bunch of thugs whose favourite national pastime is urinating in the fountains of continental Europe. And drink too much.

The Northern Irish are scary, and their accent comes across as aggressive. They drink too much.

And the Welsh...I dunno. I picture miners forming male voice choirs and rugby teams.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulParkhead View Post
I suppose the one I see most often about us Scots is that we eat deep fried lard for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And drink too much.

The English are a bunch of thugs whose favourite national pastime is urinating in the fountains of continental Europe. And drink too much.

The Northern Irish are scary, and their accent comes across as aggressive. They drink too much.

And the Welsh...I dunno. I picture miners forming male voice choirs and rugby teams.
...and drinking too much.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
And shagging sheep.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
Yes. I inexplicably missed that out from my comments about the Welsh.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steophan View Post
And shagging sheep.
Yeah, but that one gets leveled at the Scots as well. Which is funny, since most folks in Glasgow have never actually seen a sheep, let alone shagged one. I think they shag their empty Buckfast bottles.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Flanders and Swan neatly summarized it all.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 PM

The Scots shag sheep, the Brits have bad teeth, the Northern Irish blow stuff up, and the Welsh... um... well isn't Catherine Zeta Jones Welsh? I guess they have that going for them.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:27 PM

From Ireland:

Scottish = sound if not a bit tight.
Welsh = quiet and sound when you meet 'em.
North Of England = salt of the earth, wonderful folk.
Southeast of England/London (unless of irish stock) = scum of the earth, warmongering toffs and racist, imperialist blaggards.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 PM

Don't confuse 'British' with 'English', as Scottish, English, Welsh and Northern Irish are all British too. The last ones have some dissenting views on that...

Stereotypes?

Scottish: Alcoholic, heroin loving deep-fried Mars bar eating types with a jovial but stingy streak who will all die of heart failure at age 50.
Welsh: Coal-mining (until Maggie shut them all down) choirboys with an affinity for sheep, places ending with -gogogogochhch and language that is spoken by nobody who wants to remain phlegm-free.
Northern English: Whippet racing, pigeon-breeding, thick as two short planks put together, rough, incomprehensible flat-cap wearers who live in the 1930s.
Southern English: Posh, soft-as-shite, arrogant, inbred, hoorah-Henry types, effete, snobby, closeted homosexual.
Londoners: Criminals, geezers, wheeler-dealers and conmen.
Irish: Horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmacked drives, men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks and...Beamish.

None of those are true. But those are the stereotypes. The big cities each have their own. Liverpool full of thieves, Manchester full of shootings, Birmingham full of dimbo-dumbos, Newcastle full of piss and ale, etc.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Girlfriend View Post
The Scots shag sheep, the Brits have bad teeth, the Northern Irish blow stuff up, and the Welsh... um... well isn't Catherine Zeta Jones Welsh? I guess they have that going for them.
I'm guessing you are none of the above, as you mistake 'Brit' for 'English'. As mentioned upthread, Scots and Welsh are British too. Oh, and the 'Brits have bad teeth' thing is a purely American stereotype of the British, unheard of anywhere else. So you don't get to play in this thread.

I've never heard the 'Scots shagging sheep' thing. Scots are, instead, regarded as a bit miserable, tight fisted and English hating.

Northern Irish are religious maniacs.

(Southern) Irish are fun loving Catholic drunks.

Welsh are singing, rugby playing, sheep shagging and good at acting.

I can't speak for the English, as I am one.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I would also be interested about stereotypes within countries between different geographic locations such as North/South and East/West.
Missed this. In reference purely to the English...

South West = pirates (it's the accent)
North West = cocky/chip on their shoulder about London
North East = fun loving drunks
South East (excluding East Anglia) = equally split between toffs and rough cockneys
Midlands = the bit you drive through to get somewhere else. Friendly but stupid accent.
East Anglia = inbred yokels
Old 08-15-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jeff View Post
I thought British people were those who lived on the island of Great Britian, which would include the English, Scottish, and Welsh.
'British' is the descriptor used for people from the United Kingdom, which includes Northern Ireland, but for obvious political and historical reasons, c. 50% of N. Irish folk prefer to call themselves Irish. The other 50% are adamant they are British. Basically, it's best to just Not Go There.

Some foreigners think 'English' and 'British' are interchangeable terms. This infuriates Scottish, Welsh and some Northern Irish people, and pisses off the English who get the blame for this and also think their own 'English' identity is ignored.

It's like thinking 'Texas' and 'The USA' are interchangeable terms.

Last edited by SanVito; 08-15-2013 at 04:02 AM..
Old 08-15-2013, 04:09 AM

How do you know somebody's from Yorkshire? They'd have told you three times already.

Yorkshiremen are Scots with all the generosity squeezed out of them.

Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred, strong in the arm, thick in the head.

The Tyke's creed: See all, 'ear all, say nowt, eat all, sup all, pay nowt, and if thy ever does owt for nowt do it for thi sen.

The Lancastrian view of Yorkshire.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:31 AM

So, how are people in and around London thought of? Cockneys & posh poofs? What else?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
So, how are people in and around London thought of? Cockneys & posh poofs? What else?
Rude, unfriendly, arrogant, regard London as the centre of the universe. Pretty much like New Yorkers really.

(I can say this because I'm a Londoner)
Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 AM

Q: When will Neds, Spides, Chavs & Millies be competing under their own independent flags in the Olympics?

They've already got the track suits...
Old 08-15-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ridley's Shooting Party View Post
How do you know somebody's from Yorkshire? They'd have told you three times already.
*Snorts coffee up nose*.

Yorkshiremen are kind of the Texans of the UK in this regard.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:19 AM
DramQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Gadaí View Post
From Ireland:

Scottish = sound if not a bit tight.
North Of England = salt of the earth, wonderful folk.
Southeast of England/London (unless of irish stock) = scum of the earth, warmongering toffs and racist, imperialist blaggards.
Huh, I must be Irish, this sounds about right to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
I've never heard the 'Scots shagging sheep' thing.
Aberdeen seems to be particularly accused of it. Most of the Highlands and remote areas too, but mostly Aberdonians.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Imp View Post

Aberdeen seems to be particularly accused of it. Most of the Highlands and remote areas too, but mostly Aberdonians.
Yeah, it is mainly teuchters who fall into this stereotype.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Gadaí View Post
From Ireland:
I would never have pegged the welsh as quiet - in my experience you can't shut them up.

I took a train a while back from London to Swansea - the volume levels in the carriage once we'd crossed the border into Wales shot up several decibles, it was hilarious.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 AM

Essex - fake tans, blinged-up second-hand BMWs, nightclubs called things like Razzers. If Yorkshire is our Texas, Essex is New Jersey.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximenean View Post
Essex - fake tans, blinged-up second-hand BMWs, nightclubs called things like Razzers. If Yorkshire is our Texas, Essex is New Jersey.
Does the UK not have a show called "Geordie shore"?

If I want to meet people like Jeeves and Wooster, where should I go?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 AM

What about the Manxmen?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Does the UK not have a show called "Geordie shore"?
Apparently. But I think The Only Way is Essex is better known.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
What about the Manxmen?
Three-legged tax dodgers who are fond of corporal punishment.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 AM

I met a man from Norfolk who said he could count on one hand the number of times he'd slept with a relative. The answer was 9.

Norfolk = inbred.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:08 PM

QuickSilver wrote: "What about the Manxmen?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximenean View Post
Three-legged tax dodgers who are fond of corporal punishment.
A superstitious bunch, too. They at least partly believe in the existence of the island's fairies, however much they may claim not to.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
The past?

Though you could possibly make do with Jacob Rees-Mogg.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kobayashi View Post
Irish: ..., people with eyebrows on their cheeks...
What in tarnation does that-there fancy Yuropean lingo mean? I ain't never heard nothin' like that out here on the prairie range.

[/spits tobacco out the window of his pickup truck, fires a gun into the air, praises Jesus]
Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 PM

My grandparents who grew up in the 1930s all considered the Irish to be stupid and the Welsh to be dirty - dirty as in they didn't like to get washed. I never heard them utter an opinion on the Scotch, except one of them always corrects me when I call them Scotch instead of Scottish.

I think people were much more bigoted in their formative years.

Last edited by Imasquare; 08-15-2013 at 10:19 PM..
Old 08-16-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Mostly as dicks.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imasquare View Post
My grandparents who grew up in the 1930s all considered the Irish to be stupid and the Welsh to be dirty - dirty as in they didn't like to get washed. I never heard them utter an opinion on the Scotch, except one of them always corrects me when I call them Scotch instead of Scottish.

I think people were much more bigoted in their formative years.
Scotch is a drink, not a nationality.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
The Cotswolds. Maybe Surrey.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:31 AM

"An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him....
...The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears.
There even are places where English completely
disappears.
In America, they haven't used it for years!"
Old 08-16-2013, 05:34 AM
BANNED

If you live and/or work in London, culturally, pretty well any work environment is now pretty much like the Bridge on Star Trek; a critical mass of people have been on a long, often international, road of education and work experience; multiculture is now long-established as the norm.

For people who remain more 'home town', stereotypes and other old socio-cultural labels still tend to be acceptable and used (see above), though that's generally a consequence of parochialism.

Last edited by BrokenBriton; 08-16-2013 at 05:36 AM..
Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 AM

I think Welsh stereotypes can be divided into north and south.

The north Welsh are miserable, insular people who live on farms in the middle of nowhere, or tiny villages with unpronounceable names. They hate outsiders, as soon as they see an Englishman, they will instantly become mono-lingual in Welsh. Their hobbies include shagging sheep and hating the English.

The south Welsh are friendly, outgoing, loud and common as muck. Back in the day they were coal miners, but are now mostly on the dole. They did Welsh all the way through school, but can only remember how to say "fish and chips". Their hobbies include rugby and getting pissed.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenBriton View Post
If you live and/or work in London, culturally, pretty well any work environment is now pretty much like the Bridge on Star Trek; a critical mass of people have been on a long, often international, road of education and work experience; multiculture is now long-established as the norm.

For people who remain more 'home town', stereotypes and other old socio-cultural labels still tend to be acceptable and used (see above), though that's generally a consequence of parochialism.
The fact you seem to earnestly believe this makes it twice as funny.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM
BANNED

Interesting contributions to this thread; did you cut and paste all of this from some 1970s themed website?
Quote:
Quote:
Mostly as dicks.
Quote:
I met a man from Norfolk who said he could count on one hand the number of times he'd slept with a relative. The answer was 9.

Norfolk = inbred.
Quote:

Yorkshiremen are Scots with all the generosity squeezed out of them.

Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred, strong in the arm, thick in the head.

The Tyke's creed: See all, 'ear all, say nowt, eat all, sup all, pay nowt, and if thy ever does owt for nowt do it for thi sen.

The Lancastrian view of Yorkshire.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshi View Post
I think Welsh stereotypes can be divided into north and south.

The north Welsh are miserable, insular people who live on farms in the middle of nowhere, or tiny villages with unpronounceable names. They hate outsiders, as soon as they see an Englishman, they will instantly become mono-lingual in Welsh. Their hobbies include shagging sheep and hating the English.
... and setting their holiday homes on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshi View Post
The south Welsh are friendly, outgoing, loud and common as muck. Back in the day they were coal miners, but are now mostly on the dole. They did Welsh all the way through school, but can only remember how to say "fish and chips". Their hobbies include rugby and getting pissed.
The miserable, insular members of my family from North Wales regard people from South Wales as "English". No, worse than English, for letting their language wane. They however spit on the attempts of the Welsh Assembly to reinforce use of the Welsh language and often haven't got a clue what some words in official missives mean because the dialect is so different between North and South. You just can't please them! (Yeah, and I bet it sticks in their craw that one of their proud men - my Dad - married a bloody Englishwoman!)
Old 08-16-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
These days you might find that us provincial bumpkins think of the average Londoner as increasingly being foreign-born and non-white. (With the Danny Dyer-type as a warm fuzzy memory from the past.)

It's not just London though - ask someone from elsewhere to describe an average person from Leicester, and you may find that the only thing that they can come up with is "Asian" (as in Indian/Pakistani), I bet few could identify a traditional Leicester accent.
Same with Bradford, many people aren't going to associate the citizens of that town with the proud Yorkshireman mentioned above, but will assume they have roots in the sub-continent.

Disclaimer: not everyone, everywhere, obviously. Just in my experience, because I don't work on the Bridge on Star Trek.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:04 PM

Having been born and raised in Essex but now living in London, I'll just leave this here.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:40 PM

In Shakespeare's Henry V, you have the colorful trio of Captains, Fluellen, MacMorris, and Jamy, from Wales, Ireland, and Scotland, respectively. The play has often been compared to a stereotypical WWII movie where you have the combat team from, say, Brooklyn, Texas, and Boston (whose members might well be called "Brooklyn", "Tex", and "Boston"). The literary device, in both the play and the movies, was intended to show the patriotic unification of a country against a common enemy.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenBriton View Post
Interesting contributions to this thread; did you cut and paste all of this from some 1970s themed website?
No, I answered the question: "what stereotypes do Britons have about other Britons". Do you understand that answering that question doesn't mean I hold those views personally? Did you stumble into the wrong thread by mistake? Must be pretty easy with the hectic, "Star Trek bridge"-like existence Londoners like yourself lead (lol).