What does "I love you to death" mean?

Just heard it on TV. Does it mean I will love you until one of us dies, then not so much? Seems like a strange expression.

Just hyperbole. “I love you to pieces. I could just eat you up.”

it’s cannibal love.

Yeah, like** Trinopus** says, it’s just hyperbole. I first heard it from a hillbilly and it’s seems to have made its way into the mainstream vernacular. Don’t particularly care for it myself because it sounds kind of creepy but I can live with it.

In this usage, “to death” means “extremely.” Originally hyperbole in more understandable phrases like “he’s going to work us to death” and “you scared me to death,” it’s been appropriated by phrases where the feeling (something like “as much as I can stand”) is the same even if the literal meaning is way off.

It sounds better than “I love you so much I could just shit.”

To quote a 15 year old girl (or any sane individual, for that matter)… “EWWWWWWWW!” :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s TO, not TILL. As in, my love will cause you to die.

Is it not a contraction of “I love you unto death?” Thus it is simply “I love you until death?”

It’s the first part of a morbid kid’s Valentine’s Day card.

I love you
to death
from pat

“crazy”

I doubt it. It’s hyperbole, as Trinopus pointed out, originating in phrases where it makes more sense, as Gary T says.

It’s a compliment, and it means you really Really REALLY love them!

Moved to IMHO.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

It could be a reference to a very funny Kevin Kline/Tracey Ullman movie - I Love You to Death (1990) - IMDb

I agree, but I also agree with Peanuthead that it’s creepy, and I would never say it.

Or if I did say it, I’d say the “to death” part in a deep, booming voice. Maybe followed up by an evil laugh.

nm.