Why doesn't google maps provide zip codes?

It drives me crazy.

You need to know street, city and state for getting somewhere, but zip codes are only really useful for the postal service. Telling someone that I lived at 5945 W. Parker, Plano, TX gives them everything they need to know, and adding 75093 on to it doesn’t help at all. That’s one reason I can think of - they conceive of Google Maps as being used much like conventional maps, which also do not have zip codes.

I also have a suspicion that there’s some other reason with copyright that they don’t do it; after all you can search for a zip code on Google Maps and get the boundaries of that zip code, so they do have that information handy.

I’m confused. If I punch an address into Google Maps, the panel on the left brings up the address in this form:

“123 Main St.
Anytown, USA, 12345”

The same thing happens if I right click on the map and use the “What’s here?” function. Where is that you’re not seeing zip codes that you want to? Are you talking about the mobile app?

What do you mean exactly be provide zip codes? I’m using the new Google Maps so it may be different in classic, but it includes the zip code when displaying an address.

Yeah. It seems like 10% of the time I use Google maps is to get quick zip code information. I’m sure there’s better ways to get it (I suppose USPS), but Maps works for me.

I took the question to mean, “why doesn’t Google Maps include a Zip Code map overlay?”

Same here :confused:

Me too.

Of course, that begs the question about why it doesn’t have a school district overlay, an area code overlay, a bus route overlay, a fire district overlay, and an overlay that shows where women change clothes without drawing the shades first.

If this is why - the reason is they didn’t feel like enough people would want it to clutter up the system. They obviously have the data and include it in Google Earth (as an option):

http://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/maps/C1qeu-95bdE

Also - she could possibly mean from the main google page. If you do a local search that calls on Google Maps (like “papa johns” or “plumbers”) - you will see the address listed without the zips. It is possible she meant something this, but I don’t think most people realize that is data from Google Maps.

For whatever reason they have such an overlay for Germany. E.g. if you search for “10117, Berlin” or “10117, Germany” (without a street) in Google Maps, then it will show you a chunk of downtown Berlin.

It does. Click the flag on the map for the location you searched and it will display the zip code. It just doesn’t display them in the location list.

I think they’re talking about when you search for something vague… say “Reliant Astrodome”, it shows you the info out in the left sidebar without zip, but when you click on the flag, it gives it to you with the zip.

Kind of confusing if you don’t know that you have to click to get the zip.

A little clarification: the visible outline shows up only in the map view, not the satellite view, and it shows only one zip code area at a time.

Copyright law protects original and creative works of expression. How do you suspect that it could have something to do with zip codes?

Found this site after Googling “Zip Code Map”. It renders a zip code overlay onto a Google Maps-based map.

The address box at top will accept – besides a street address – a city name or a county name.

(bolding mine)

Give it time, Doc. :wink:

Yes, this is exactly it. I vaguely remembered the flag, but when I am looking up addresses in a hurry for a mailing list, I just want the information to be THERE. Thanks for the flag info!

This is indeed what happens when I ask Google Maps, “How is babby formed”.

Note: Result #2 is an Old Navy in Lincoln, Nebraska. :cool:

How come I don’t get a thank you, huh? :mad:

Use ZIP Code™ Lookup | USPS and get the right zip+4 and address.