Nexus 7/Android "Must Have" Apps

For our anniversary a couple weeks ago, my husband got me the new Nexus 7 I’d been eyeing. I really like it for the stuff I want to do (which isn’t very heavy duty). I’ve downloaded all the apps that I knew I wanted, and a few that I found by surfing Google Play, but I’m looking for the “must have” sorts of apps, and I trust Dopers.

So, do you have an app or apps that you just can’t live without? Something that is really fun, or different, or the best tool ever? Please share.

Yes, I’d prefer free over pay, but if it’s worth it, I’ll pay. Yes, I’ve Googled “nexus apps” and have gotten a couple that way, but I’m still looking for more stuff. It’s a 32 GB, so I’ve got room.

Thanks!

If you like puzzle games, get CrossMe and CrossMe Color. I just love those things. They have free versions with a few puzzles and then if you like them you can pay for more.

I use mine mostly as an e-reader, so I downloaded a whole bunch of ebook apps. FBReader is a good one with a great on-line library of free books. The Kindle app is of course a must-have, and if you subscribe to Book-Bub, you’ll get an offering of free and cheap ebooks in your email every day.

Other than that, I use it mostly to browse IMDb while watching television, so I don’t have to wonder, “where the heck do I know that guy from?”

Lookout Mobile Security. Handles viruses/malware and remote find/wipe in one app. Plus the premium version is free if you’re an Assurion subscriber.

I’ll second lookout. Calibre companion is great if you have a bunch of ebooks on your computer. Osmos HD is an addictive, premium game. Spent many an hour playing it. I like dolphin HD or UC browser HD in place of the stock browser.

I thought this was going to be a joke-thread about Bladerunner. :frowning:

I hate reading websites on a tablet and would never use it to come here if it weren’t for the Tapatalk forum app. Swype is a good keyboard app that let’s you trace from letter to letter to spell words. It takes a little practice but I couldn’t live without it.

I could recommend 100 apps but I doubt you’re interested in the same things as me.

Swiftkey is a great on-screen keyboard. It has a “trace” mode as well (i.e. you can use it like Swype).

If the Chrome browser doesn’t come pre-installed, it’s well worth installing. It’s especially nice if you also use Chrome on your PC - you can sync the settings (including bookmarks and even saved passwords).

I recommend adding the Google Now widget to one of your home screens. It’s impressive (and creepy) how much it knows about you and deliver relevant content - e.g. it’s figured out which baseball team I root for and display its results.

There are lots of good games. Being a physics/engineering nerd, I’m partial to Bridge Constructor. Someone mentioned Osmos, which happens to be one of my favorite games too.

I’ll second the recommendation for Swiftkey. I really like the keyboard and it is very good at guessing my next word.

I generally like Chrome but notice that it has some issues with the text size when displaying this forum. The size seems to randomly change between posts. I downloaded the Dolphin browser and have had good luck with it.

I have the Kobo app for my ebooks (all in .epub format) and it is generally nice. I really like the way it displays the pages but the “shelf” area where you pick the book you want could use a lot of work (I wish there was a title search at least).

Feedly - RSS Reader
Swype - keyboard
Netflix (if you subscribe)
Amazon Kindle - read Kindle books
BeyondPod - podcast player (although this may not be the best, still looking for a better one)

I’m pretty sure all Nexus devices come with Swype already. Can anyone recommend a music player? I’ve tried a bunch including WinAmp and the widgets are always unwieldy for in-car use.

They don’t have Swype, but the newest version of the standard Android keyboard has Swype-like functionality, so it’s basically the same.

It is a bit creepy! If I do a Google search on my desktop, say for a restaurant, the next time I turn on my Nexus 7 it will tell me how many minutes to that restaurant in current traffic conditions and if they are open or not.

I’m always using the Shortyz crossword app. I also like the Da Tuner guitar tuner if you’re into that sort of thing. Also the app for my cable provider. It’s easier to navigate the guide than using the TV and I use it to change channels or set the DVR when the remote goes missing. Chrome works fine on my Nexus 7 displaying SDMB text but not so well on my phone. I tried using Opera on my phone but it was more of a pain than it was worth.

When I first got my Nexus 7 I signed on to all this google stuff (Google + I think) but the connectivity between all our devices and the cloud and social networking and seemingly every other damn thing freaked me out so I shut it down. I think.

For music, Google Music/Play syncs up with iTunes quite well (and comes installed, I think on the Nexus).

TuneIn Radio is a must IMHO

FlowFree

Weather Bug (I have the premium version) is the best weather app I think

There are several video players, I likeMX PLayer.

If you like GrooveShark, check out Dood’s Music Server. (I don’t THINK, it violates copyright…but just in case, I’m not going to link to where to get it)

Flixster is a great movie resource.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am using it mostly to check Facebook and use IMDB; I do have the Tapatalk app so I can access here; it’s much easier than trying to read in the browser.

I mostly enjoy puzzle type games, so those suggestions are nice to have. I wasn’t sure about the security, but I’ll check out Lookout.

I like food/cooking, history, pop culture, music, so anything like that is good.

I am very satisfied with the default keyboard, so i never tried Swype myself.
Here’s the programs i have installed on my Nexus 7 that i’ve been using since i bought a year ago.
Tunein Radio- i recommend you to get a pro version if you don’t have an unlimited mobile internet.
Cut The Rope - grade-a puzzle game
Hungry Shark Evo - this game is quite addicting
Duolingo - Foreign language learning tool, reminds you of Israeli Ulpan program or Rosetta Stone, the difference is unlike the latter this one is totally free.
Evernote - useful notepad.
Foursquare - social network, quite a useful one since a fair amount of restaurants, hotels or whatever offer special deals for users.
Instagram - i think this needs no introduction
Flipboard/Google Currents - e-magazines, both of them offer a wide variety of choices.
Skifta - DLNA for Nexus’, you can listen to music or watch videos from your PC or other DLNA compatible devices. Extremely useful.(feel free to ask more about it)
Shazam - music recognition program.
Ebookdroid- ebook reader as you might already guess from the title.
Kingsoft Office- totally free office program that reads everything you may need.
MXplayer/VPlayer - Videoplayers that support nearly every common video format and you can use subtitles too which comes extremely handy if you like to watch foreign movies.
FileManager - absolute must have.
Librivox- lots of public domain audiobooks.
Chinese Writer- the program that significantly eases the learning of how to write chinese characters. Useful not just for those who is interested in learning Chinese, Korean or Japanese but surprisingly it’s interesting as a game. Yeah right, you should try it.
Winamp - my audioplayer of choices, supports Last.fm and system directories.

Some people also prefer to have
Tapatalk - forum viewing program that allegedly eases chatting on the forums, i wasn’t very impressed with it.
Antivirus program like Avira, Nod32 or etc is recommended if you’re going to install homebrew programs or visit “bad sites”. In my opinion it’s just slows the device down.
UI changing program like Nova Launcher, Apex or else.

FoxFi to make a free mobile hotspot depending on your carrier.

Here’s some I came up with. I sort of hate doing this because when I look at lists like this I never find anything useful, but here’s a few that I think actually are.

Swype - I already mentioned. It’s really more valuable for phones because you can type easily with one thumb using it
Barcode scanner - scan barcodes and find info about the product, I never use it but it’s still cool
Dropbox - cloud storage, share files between computer/device
Fast Image Viewer - simpler image viewer for opening single images, better and faster than the gallery
Jota Text Editor - good editor if you find yourself working with text
Movie Showtime Theater - simple movie showtimes, not bloated with Fandango, trailers or any other crap
Scanner radio - listen to thousands of police, fire, ems radios frequencies
Roku - If you have a Roku, you can control it with your device
Aix weather widget - forecast widget which shows a meteogram, which is sort of a graph with more than average weather info
PYKL3 Radar - weather radar for weather geeks
Pocket - save things from the web to read later, can use from your computer and they’ll automatically be saved to your device
ShowTimes Series Guide - tracks tv shows to tell you when they’re on next
TV Listings for Android TV24 - simple tv guide app
Lampshade- TV Tropes viewer
Cracked reader - for cracked.com

I’ve been using it for 3-4 years and when they updated the UI about a year ago I almost gave it up. I don’t know why anyone thinks sidebars are a good idea. I still use it because I found that, due to complaints, they put the old version on their website here. If you haven’t used the old one, you might like it better.