The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 09-19-2013, 05:05 PM

How can I get rid of IOS 7?

I've had the misfortune of updating the software on my Iphone, and now the whole system is hideous. Everything is a horrible glaring white, and they've messed everything up so I don't know how to use my phone any more.

How can I take my phone back to good old IOS 6, or at least change the graphical settings so that it looks back to normal?

(PS Please don't anyone tell me how wonderful the new interface is, and how I will get used to it. I hate it, and that's final!)
Advertisements  
Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I don't think you can unless you used software to save your 6.1.x iOS as a 'blob' the way the jail breakers do. Otherwise, Apple blocks 'downgrades' to earlier versions of the OS.

Last edited by jasg; 09-19-2013 at 05:09 PM..
Old 09-19-2013, 05:13 PM

Might not work, but there's this. (I skimmed the instructions. Good luck with that.)
Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 PM

But the new interface is wonderful and you will get used to it!

Last edited by boozilu; 09-19-2013 at 06:52 PM..
Old 09-19-2013, 06:53 PM

There is no legit way to go back to an earlier version of iOS on a device once you've updated it. You might be able to manage it through jailbreaking, but I don't have any experience with this, and it would definitely void your warranty.

Sorry. I'm not a huge fan of iOS7 either.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshi View Post
I've had the misfortune of updating the software on my Iphone, and now the whole system is hideous. Everything is a horrible glaring white, and they've messed everything up so I don't know how to use my phone any more.

How can I take my phone back to good old IOS 6, or at least change the graphical settings so that it looks back to normal?

(PS Please don't anyone tell me how wonderful the new interface is, and how I will get used to it. I hate it, and that's final!)
FWIW, there are a few settings you can change in 7 to make it more sixy.

If you don't like the thin text, you can enthicken it by going to Settings > General > Accessibility > Bold Text. That might make the text more pleasant to read.

Also, right under the Bold Text setting is Increase Contrast. If you turn that on, it will replace the opaque backgrounds you see in views like Notification Center and Control Center with solid backgrounds.

Hope that helps at least some. I understand that you don't like it now, but it's not like Apple is going back to the old iOS ways anytime soon. 7 is the future of iOS. In the meantime, lie back and think of Cupertino.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
Apple blocks 'downgrades' to earlier versions of the OS.
Apple giveth, and Apple taketh away.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshi View Post

You hated it that much? I don't like Apple or their products other than the iPod. I only have an iPhone because that's what my employer pays for me to have. I much preferred my previous Android phone. But iOS 7 to me was pretty inoffensive - some GUI updates (which I mostly think are improvements) and some under-the-hood updates I'll probably never notice. "Glaring white" - to what are you referring?
Old 09-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Hmm...I like the new iOS, but all of a sudden, I have nearly 40K unread messages, when before I had zero. Anybody have an idea of what's up?
Old 09-20-2013, 12:32 AM

Unread messages or unread emails?

Mine is showing unread emails (which are indeed unread and long forgotten), where none appeared before. I dislike the little red reminder of them so much that I'll soon be going into my email account on my computer to hunt them down and delete them.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Unread messages or unread emails?

Mine is showing unread emails (which are indeed unread and long forgotten), where none appeared before. I dislike the little red reminder of them so much that I'll soon be going into my email account on my computer to hunt them down and delete them.
Sorry. Emails. The little email icon is showing a bubble with "3...3" in it (indicating unread messages, and the "3...3" is verbatim, not some deliberate obfuscation of the number of emails I have unread), and when I tap on it, I see my two POP email accounts adding up to those 38K or whatever unread emails, where before the update, they were clear.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:51 AM

Yeah, for some reason iOS 7 wants to display the number of unread messages where iOS 6 didn't.

I just went into my email account and had it display all unread messages, then Shift/selected all of 'em and used the "Mark as Read" command to keep them from showing up as unread in the little red bubble over the mail icon. Since you have so many messages you may have to mark yours as read 50 or 100 messages at a time or however many you can get your account to display at once.

Good luck. I don't envy you the task.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, for some reason iOS 7 wants to display the number of unread messages where iOS 6 didn't.

I just went into my email account and had it display all unread messages, then Shift/selected all of 'em and used the "Mark as Read" command to keep them from showing up as unread in the little red bubble over the mail icon. Since you have so many messages you may have to mark yours as read 50 or 100 messages at a time or however many you can get your account to display at once.

Good luck. I don't envy you the task.

Well, the old iPhone email would display an unread email count in a red bubble, but it wasn't a number reflecting--I don't know--all the emails I've never read on my iPhone? I'm not sure what the 38K number means. With the old Mail, I'd just log in, and whatever I had local that was unread would show up in the count. At least that's how I think it worked. It's only been a couple hours and already I forgot.

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-20-2013 at 01:05 AM..
Old 09-20-2013, 01:39 AM

You're right, new emails showed up in a bubble on my old OS too. What I meant was that all my old unread emails didn't show up, only new ones for some reason. As far as the 38k number, my guess is that you've got "All inboxes" selected and 38k is the total number of unread emails in all your various email accounts. You might try clicking on your mail icon and selecting only the account you use mostly and see if that eliminates the large number of unread messages that are showing up. If it does, then you might consider just checking those other accounts manually from time to time rather than having them alert you via the mail icon.

If none of that helps, then I got nothin'.

Oh, wait, maybe I do. Try this...I don't know how well it'll work given the number of messages involved but it might be worth a try:

First of all, you need to get to the "Mailboxes" dialog. Tap the mail icon. If the heading for the list that comes up reads "All inboxes", tap "Mailboxes" in the upper left corner. On the other hand if it already reads "Mailboxes" then you're already there.

Click "Edit" at the upper right of the Mailboxes dialog. That will bring up a button you can check to display "Unread" messages. Check that button and then click "Done" in the upper right corner.

Now you should be back in the "Mailboxes" section only with a clickable field for unread messages. Open it and your unread messages should appear. Now, in the upper right corner click "Edit". This should give the ability to mark all the messages as read. I imagine it will take a while given that there are 38k messages involved, but once they're marked, click "Done" and you should be good to go.

Last edited by Starving Artist; 09-20-2013 at 01:42 AM..
Old 09-20-2013, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

My Android phone never screws me over like this. You should get an Android phone.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:52 AM

From the graphics in the various review articles I saw, I was certain I would hate the look and feel of 7. But, I upgraded, and, actually, it looks OK.

I did encounter a bug, though, which turned off my screen. The iPad was still fully functional, you just couldn't see anything. Took a hard reset to clear it.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 AM

OP: while I'm not going to tell you that iOS7 is great and you'll get used to it (although I think it is much nicer looking than iOS6, FWIW) I do wonder why you chose to upgrade if you disliked the look so much. It's not like the new design was a big secret sprung on you by Apple - there have been pictures and videos of it all everywhere since it was unveiled back in June.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 AM

There's a reason why I never do any iOS update until about two weeks after it comes out.

Ok, two reasons. First, the servers are always jammed solid for the first several days. I've seen devices rendered unusable because it fails. Second, I've seen releases with major bugs and I want to give them some time to know how to fix them before I jump in.

Prolly wait until after my vacation next week. Don't want to be one of those idiots who decides that the perfect time to do an upgrade is an hour before they have to be at the airport.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're right, new emails showed up in a bubble on my old OS too. What I meant was that all my old unread emails didn't show up, only new ones for some reason. As far as the 38k number, my guess is that you've got "All inboxes" selected and 38k is the total number of unread emails in all your various email accounts. You might try clicking on your mail icon and selecting only the account you use mostly and see if that eliminates the large number of unread messages that are showing up. If it does, then you might consider just checking those other accounts manually from time to time rather than having them alert you via the mail icon.

If none of that helps, then I got nothin'.

Oh, wait, maybe I do. Try this...I don't know how well it'll work given the number of messages involved but it might be worth a try:

First of all, you need to get to the "Mailboxes" dialog. Tap the mail icon. If the heading for the list that comes up reads "All inboxes", tap "Mailboxes" in the upper left corner. On the other hand if it already reads "Mailboxes" then you're already there.

Click "Edit" at the upper right of the Mailboxes dialog. That will bring up a button you can check to display "Unread" messages. Check that button and then click "Done" in the upper right corner.

Now you should be back in the "Mailboxes" section only with a clickable field for unread messages. Open it and your unread messages should appear. Now, in the upper right corner click "Edit". This should give the ability to mark all the messages as read. I imagine it will take a while given that there are 38k messages involved, but once they're marked, click "Done" and you should be good to go.
Yeah...that's only allowing me to mark them one by one. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait until they sort it.

When I opened up my mailbox this morning, it initially said I had over 2 BILLION unread messages, before checking the server and reverting back to the 38K number.

ETA: Oh, there it is again: "Updated Just Now 2,147,464,500 Unread".

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-20-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Old 09-20-2013, 09:18 AM

I'm guessing that you've actually died and are posting from Hell. You've got over 2 billion emails to read and the number appears to be increasing.

Get to work, Sisyphus!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:22 AM

My husband HATES it, so I will be keeping track of this thread.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
OP: while I'm not going to tell you that iOS7 is great and you'll get used to it (although I think it is much nicer looking than iOS6, FWIW) I do wonder why you chose to upgrade if you disliked the look so much. It's not like the new design was a big secret sprung on you by Apple - there have been pictures and videos of it all everywhere since it was unveiled back in June.
Ditto - I was wondering the same thing.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I'm guessing that you've actually died and are posting from Hell. You've got over 2 billion emails to read and the number appears to be increasing.

Get to work, Sisyphus!
I got a screen shot of it. Looks like I had better get cracking. It did actually decrease by one when I read an email.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
Also, right under the Bold Text setting is Increase Contrast. If you turn that on, it will replace the opaque backgrounds you see in views like Notification Center and Control Center with solid backgrounds.
[my bolding] One of these words doesn't mean what you think it means.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Ditto - I was wondering the same thing.
My husband says he had no idea what it would look like. He doesn't browse the internet regularly so outside of that how would he know? He saw an update was needed, did it, and now hates the new OS. He honestly had no idea what it was going to look like.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Hmm...I like the new iOS, but all of a sudden, I have nearly 40K unread messages, when before I had zero. Anybody have an idea of what's up?
What type of email do you have? If it's a web-based one eg Gmail, you should be able to do a "mark all as read" via the web interface.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
My husband says he had no idea what it would look like. He doesn't browse the internet regularly so outside of that how would he know? He saw an update was needed, did it, and now hates the new OS. He honestly had no idea what it was going to look like.
In the future, iOS updates aren't "needed", and he should always research them before downloading and installing them.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:21 AM

A few weeks ago I allowed my iPad to update the YouTube app. Then I discovered that to use YouTube I had to register.

I LOATHE Google with the heat of all the suns in the universe plus one, so I killed the app. Disgusting bastards.

Apparently the new iOS "upgrades" apps whether you want them or not. I'm sticking with 6 for as long as possible.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm View Post
Apparently the new iOS "upgrades" apps whether you want them or not. I'm sticking with 6 for as long as possible.
No it doesn't. It gives you the option of doing automatic updates, that's all. It's not mandatory. I kept it turned off.

Edit: the setting is

Settings > iTunes & App Store > Automatic Downloads. There's now a slider for "Updates" below Music, Apps and Books.

It also gives you the option to turn it on when you first enter the App Store.

Last edited by Colophon; 09-20-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Old 09-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm View Post
Apparently the new iOS "upgrades" apps whether you want them or not.
That's not correct. It actually gave me an option to auto update (which I turned on), but even I can still turn it off by going to Settings > iTunes & App Store and click the Updates button off.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
No it doesn't. It gives you the option of doing automatic updates, that's all. It's not mandatory. I kept it turned off. . . .
Quote:
That's not correct. It actually gave me an option to auto update (which I turned on), but even I can still turn it off by going to Settings > iTunes & App Store and click the Updates button off.
Thanks for the info/correction. I had read the misinformation on the web, on a site that should have known better. I'll certainly reconsider.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah...that's only allowing me to mark them one by one.
Yeah I get that too if I use the "Unread" message group. If I go into my individual inboxes for each account though, after tapping "Edit" I now get an option to "Mark All" then "Mark as Read".
Old 09-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.B View Post
Yeah I get that too if I use the "Unread" message group. If I go into my individual inboxes for each account though, after tapping "Edit" I now get an option to "Mark All" then "Mark as Read".
Yeah, I get the "mark all" option as well, but it appears to only affect the emails that are shown on screen or something, as selecting that doesn't cause my 34K or 2 Billion messages or whatever to disappear.

ETA: OK, well, after it showing 2 Billion unread messages again, I did "mark all as read" and now we're down to 839. So, progress, I guess, but I can't seem to drop the 839 and redoing "mark as read" doesn't work.

ETA2: Oh, crap. Now it's back to 38,994 unread. What the hell is going on here?

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-20-2013 at 11:07 AM..
Old 09-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Anyhow, the nice thing on this iOS is FINALLY Apple decided to let you view the individual time stamps of text messages, as opposed to before, when they were just grouped as "conversations" and only the beginning of the conversation would get a displayed time stamp. I can't tell you how many times that pissed me off when I needed to figure out when a message was sent, or when a conversation ended, but I had no way of checking an individual message.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

If you pay your monthly phone bill with a credit card issued by a particular bank, the phone is automatically covered for loss (theft, accident?) to the tune of around $600. It makes it easier to get a replacement phone, presumably without iOS7.

Just sayin'.

Better yet, get an Android with the same (or better) features at a lower cost.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I get the "mark all" option as well, but it appears to only affect the emails that are shown on screen or something, as selecting that doesn't cause my 34K or 2 Billion messages or whatever to disappear.

ETA: OK, well, after it showing 2 Billion unread messages again, I did "mark all as read" and now we're down to 839. So, progress, I guess, but I can't seem to drop the 839 and redoing "mark as read" doesn't work.

ETA2: Oh, crap. Now it's back to 38,994 unread. What the hell is going on here?
At this point I think I'd be visiting my local Apple store or calling customer support if a store isn't located where you live. I've always found the employees at the Apple stores to be very knowledgeable and helpful, and they have a hotline to software whizzes in Cupertino in the event a customer has a problem that has them stumped.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:50 PM

I'm mixed on iOS7 so far. Some things I think are obviously better. Some things are different but I'm not sure if they're better or worse. A few things are annoying.

That said, it's clearly the future of Apple's curated phone experience, which has always been a sort of take-it-or-leave-it proposition. Android lets you do whatever you want, although a lot of the options suck. Apple gives you one option, and it's usually a pretty good one (often enough the best, in my opinion, to give it some time to prove itself). I have a few months before my contract is up, so that should give me time to decide if I want to take it or leave it with my next phone.

I wish they'd give me a bit more latitude to configure things, but on the balance, I think I still prefer the whole Apple package to other offers.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Anyhow, the nice thing on this iOS is FINALLY Apple decided to let you view the individual time stamps of text messages, as opposed to before, when they were just grouped as "conversations" and only the beginning of the conversation would get a displayed time stamp. I can't tell you how many times that pissed me off when I needed to figure out when a message was sent, or when a conversation ended, but I had no way of checking an individual message.
How? I still only see a timestamp for the start of the "conversation" in Messages. I tried tapping the individual bubbles but that doesn't do anything. Is there a new setting for this? I don't see anything in the Messages options.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSquishy View Post
How? I still only see a timestamp for the start of the "conversation" in Messages. I tried tapping the individual bubbles but that doesn't do anything. Is there a new setting for this? I don't see anything in the Messages options.
Oh, sorry. I should have mentioned it, because it's not exactly obvious, but I had read about the feature being introduced in the new OS. Just go to your messages and swipe to the left.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:12 PM

I'm still running 5.1 on my I4 and am quite content to not update it until I get a new phone.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
If you pay your monthly phone bill with a credit card issued by a particular bank, the phone is automatically covered for loss (theft, accident?) to the tune of around $600. It makes it easier to get a replacement phone, presumably without iOS7.
I thought that only applied to things you purchased with the card.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
[my bolding] One of these words doesn't mean what you think it means.
Here are some synonyms for opaque from thesaurus.com

blurred, cloudy, frosty, filmy, foggy, smoky
Old 09-20-2013, 03:26 PM

I've had iOS7 for about 12 hours now. The initial shock has worn off. I've figured out the few things that have changed and now I'm back to being a happy, satisfied Apple diehard.

ETA: iTunes Radio is da bomb.

Last edited by UncleRojelio; 09-20-2013 at 03:26 PM..
Old 09-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
Here are some synonyms for opaque from thesaurus.com

blurred, cloudy, frosty, filmy, foggy, smoky
All of those are closer synonyms to "translucent" than "opaque," IMHO. I still remember learning "transparent, transluscent, opaque" in grammar school. Transparent was like a window: letting all light through. Translucent was like frosted glass or a sheet of wax paper: letting some light through. "Opaque" was a solid piece of cardboard paper, letting no light through.

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-20-2013 at 03:31 PM..
Old 09-20-2013, 04:45 PM

I like the IOS7, and particularly the new camera, with the grid and easy switching between video, photo, and panorama. I don't care for the new layout of recent apps, lying across the middle. I liked them better at the bottom (after pressing Home twice).
Old 09-20-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
All of those are closer synonyms to "translucent" than "opaque," IMHO. I still remember learning "transparent, transluscent, opaque" in grammar school. Transparent was like a window: letting all light through. Translucent was like frosted glass or a sheet of wax paper: letting some light through. "Opaque" was a solid piece of cardboard paper, letting no light through.
Now that you mention it, I remember being taught that, too. After checking out their definitions and synonyms though, I guess this is one of those times we realize English is a pretty complex and-- wait for it-- opaque language.

But since this is an iOS 7 thread, let's check out the official iOS 7 definition of opaque:

"not able to be seen through; not transparent: the windows were opaque with steam."

To me, "windows opaque with steam" sounds like an apt description of Notification and Control Center.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbitu8 View Post
I like the IOS7, and particularly the new camera, with the grid and easy switching between video, photo, and panorama. I don't care for the new layout of recent apps, lying across the middle. I liked them better at the bottom (after pressing Home twice).
The icons of recent apps are still at the bottom for me on an iOS 7 iPhone. Are they really not there for you? Their spacing and scrolling fluidity is a little different from iOS 6, though.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Oh, sorry. I should have mentioned it, because it's not exactly obvious, but I had read about the feature being introduced in the new OS. Just go to your messages and swipe to the left.
Cool! Thanks. That definitely would have taken me a while to stumble across.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:03 PM

The iOS7 graphics are uglier than a hat full of assholes, just like Windows 8. I realize functionality is more important than aesthetics, but what is the reason behind this trend? Do the simpler graphics result in a higher speed, or do the designers think that it's more visually appealing? Because if the latter, it sure as shit isn't.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
I thought that only applied to things you purchased with the card.

Quote:
Pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your ***** ***** Credit Card and you'll get up to $600 protection (subject to a $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft at no cost.

Protection is subject to a $25 deductible and maximum benefit limit of $600 per occurrence. Protection covers cellular telephones billed to your ***** ***** Credit Card, subject to a maximum of two claims, per twelve-month period, per ***** ***** Credit Card account number. Protection covers the primary line and up to the first three additional lines listed on your providerís monthly statement. Cellular telephones that are stolen or damaged are protected. This benefit does not cover cellular telephones that are lost.
Direct from their web site.