Old 10-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Why isn't Amazon in Australia?

Amazon is pretty global now, but one potentially huge market that it has so far ignored is Australia. I wonder why.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:06 PM

Lots of reasons, but mostly, it's NOT a huge market. The population of Australia is 22 million, not much more than New York City, spread out over an area almost the same size as the continental US. In short, it's just not worth it.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:12 PM

I have got an Australian friend who is pretty upset by the lack of Amazon, because, as far as I know, there isn't really an alternative.

Last edited by NineToTheSky; 10-23-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:16 PM
SDSAB

You would think Amazon might choose to serve only, say, the three biggest Australian cities, or within six hours' drive of whatever distribution hub(s) they choose to set up. Just writing off the entire country seems odd.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by araminty View Post
Lots of reasons, but mostly, it's NOT a huge market. The population of Australia is 22 million, not much more than New York City, spread out over an area almost the same size as the continental US. In short, it's just not worth it.
The population of New York City is 8.3 million. But there's about 20 million in the NYC metro region.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:28 PM

Quick Google search turned this up.

No idea if it'll actually happen, but it seems like Amazon already sells plenty to Australians. It just doesn't have a local distribution warehouse yet. And even if it's working on it, it'll take some time. It took a few years before the Texas distribution center opened and legal challenges and such just extended the timeframe.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:32 PM

Amazon is not a logistical carrier. The only part of the logistic chain Amazon deals with is warehousing and customer interfacing. As we all know sales is interfaced using the Amazon.com domain.

Logistics carriers, primarily UPS and Fedex probably don't have enough saturation in the Australian market to do daily business. This is probably most likely due the fact that Australia is only, what, 6000 miles from CONUS? The logistical routes most likely cannot cover the demand that Amazon traffic would create.

Furthermore, there are 5 international airports. The logistical costs of shipping a small package of widgets to anywhere in Australia would be exhorbitant.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:20 PM

I'm not sure that distance from the US, per se, is an issue. The issue is that it's a relatively small market, far away from everywhere. That means they would need warehouses in Australia itself, like they have in the US, Europe, and elsewhere, and I guess the size of the market doesn't justify that fixed cost. Maybe their business model requires x million people per major distrubution centre, and x is greater than 23.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
You would think Amazon might choose to serve only, say, the three biggest Australian cities, or within six hours' drive of whatever distribution hub(s) they choose to set up. Just writing off the entire country seems odd.
Trouble is our three largest cities are >6 hours drive apart. The state capitals (and largest cities) of our Eastern seaboard, Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne are ~900kms apart. There's not any sizable population centers located anything like equidistant between the cities either.

It's interesting though, I recently saw some stats that Australian's spent $7.6Billion AUD on overseas online shopping in the last 12 months. So there's certainly demand there. The question is would having a local distribution center increase Amazon's share of that pie? If not, the existing structure does the trick for the Australian market.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:36 PM

I don't understand this whole thread. Amazon is a merchant, not a shipper. Is the problem that amazon.com doesn't even work from Australia, or that none of their shippers will ship to Australia, or that they don't accept Australian dollars?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:45 PM

Well, not all Amazon shippers will ship to Australia. Not all goods can be imported that way either. In addition, buying something in a foreign currency and shipping it internationally seems self-evidently not the cheapest, quickest or most efficient way to get it, if there were any alternative.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 PM

Australians do buy from Amazon a fair bit. I mostly only buy the traditional for Amazon stuff, books, CDs, DVDs. Amazon UK actually has better prices and shipping costs than the US for a lot of stuff. As for all the allied stuff, it all gets a lot harder.

Australia has different power than the US, so pretty much all electronics goods are out, unless they have a universal power supply, or are prepared to cope with power converters. European goods are OK, and there was a spate of people buying home theatre amplifiers from Amazon Germany, who had really good prices and good shipping costs.

The big problem for many companies shipping to Oz is that any shipping method with a tracking number comes at a serious premium, and so far as I know, all involve air freight. There is no cheap and slow way to ship to Oz with tracking. And most companies won't ship without tracking. When you look at shipping from the US, you get quoted for next day deliver, or 3 day delivery, sometimes at a cost that exceeds the purchase price of what you want shipped. If you are happy to wait a month for it, and pay for sea freight, there is no way to buy it.

Inside Oz, a big problem is indeed still shipping. We have no local equivalent of UPS, and couriers like FedEx are extortionate. It can cost as much to ship a parcel from a receiving depot in Oz to you as shipping from the US to the shipping depot. On the other hand, our local postal service (Australia Post) is trying to reinvent itself as an internet purchase shipping company, so things may improve.

Amazon are here, but not as a retailer. Amazon Web Services have a facility in Sydney.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 PM

It's possible that parallel import laws have something to do with it too. Amazon already charges higher retail prices for e-books delivered to Australian buyers, because (as I understand it) those laws essentially give "local" publishers considerable power to control prices.

If they were delivering books from Australian warehouses I suspect they'd be stuck buying from local distributors and hence paying higher wholesale prices.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 PM

The Amazon is in South America, not Australia. Duh!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineToTheSky View Post
I have got an Australian friend who is pretty upset by the lack of Amazon, because, as far as I know, there isn't really an alternative.
Wow, there's no books in Australia?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhal View Post
Wow, there's no books in Australia?
There are no big Australian online retailers of books. Or anything else, really, certainly nothing you could call the local equivalent of Amazon.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyworth View Post
There are no big Australian online retailers of books. Or anything else, really, certainly nothing you could call the local equivalent of Amazon.
Fishpond.com.au - which I believe is actually based in New Zealand - tries to fill that particular gap, I think, at least as far as books go. But I, and most people I know, use bookdepository.co.uk for preference.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:06 PM

Fishpond is a dropshipper. They don't actually stock anything, and their shipping times are often several weeks. So I don't think they really count as an Amazon equivalent.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 PM

I think they're afraid of all the dropbears and box jellyfish. The venomous snakes aren't such an issue anymore as a lot of them have been bitten by the spiders there and have died.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:25 AM

I've bought plenty of stuff from Amazon over the years, including a Kindle a few years ago. I am in Australia.

There is some stuff that Amazon won't ship to Aus, due to big companies having monopolies and insisting on price gouging Australians, but a large amount of Amazon stuff is available to Australians. In fact they keep sending me spam inviting me to browse their list of stuff they will ship to Australia.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:22 AM

I seldom buy from Amazon these days because their international shipping prices are massive. I have a Kindle but, thanks to corporate bullying by the larger publishing companies, eBooks are frequently not available here or are considerably more expensive than in the US.

I usually check out the cheapest price on Booko and buy from the supplier with the best deal - usually book depository, who have free shipping.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:48 AM

What ebooks can't you get? I have a Kobo reader loaded with books but I buy Kindle books on Amazon and use the Kindle reader apps on my PC, phone and tablet.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
What ebooks can't you get? I have a Kobo reader loaded with books but I buy Kindle books on Amazon and use the Kindle reader apps on my PC, phone and tablet.
I, um, heard that you can get software that will usually allow you to hack Kindle books so you can load and read them on a Kobo, despite the protections Amazon attempt.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
I can't remember now but there aren't many. I've simply got a message saying that the publisher doesn't allow this particular eBook to be sold in Australia. No idea why not.

I also used to get emails alerting me to eBooks which were, for a short time, really reduced in price. Most didn't interest me but there was one book I wanted to buy which was 99 cents, according to the email. When I went to Amazon to buy it, the price to me was $9.99. I emailed the sender of the alert asking why and they said the publisher set the price. No bargains for Aussies. :-(

Last edited by jabiru; 10-24-2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Remembered something else.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princhester View Post
I, um, heard that you can get software that will usually allow you to hack Kindle books so you can load and read them on a Kobo, despite the protections Amazon attempt.
I have tried that with unsatisfactory results. Presumably I am doing something terribly wrong because one can find thousands of ebooks to download in both epub and mobi formats with no DRM. The Kindle books I have bought aren't terribly popular, so not otherwise available, and are cheap. The reading option is excellent really because the books are synced across all my devices. And I've always been one of those people reading several books at a time, so it is nice opening up one on my phone and zipping through to where I last was on my tablet or PC.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

It's no Amazon substitute, but booko.com.au searches for the cheapest price inc postage on books and gives you a list to compare. I find it very useful.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDS View Post
Fishpond.com.au - which I believe is actually based in New Zealand - tries to fill that particular gap, I think, at least as far as books go. But I, and most people I know, use bookdepository.co.uk for preference.
I've also used The Book Depository and was very happy with their service. For an Australian, "free international shipping" are the three sweetest words in the English language.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:09 AM

And booko.com.au links to The National Library so you can find every library in Australia that has copies of the book.

Last edited by don't ask; 10-24-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
For an Australian, "free international shipping" are the three sweetest words in the English language.
Indeed. Not Kindle, Amazon or even book related but I read today that M & S in the UK have free international shipping. Can't wait to let my fingers do the walking.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:53 PM
SDSAB

If you're not in a big city in Australia, is interlibrary loan a realistic or useful option, or do you have to wait a really long time to get what you want?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

I've sold to Aussies from my amazon Marketplace Account, & it's easy to lose your shirt that way.
Large books cost a ton to mail down Under.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
I've sold to Aussies from my amazon Marketplace Account, & it's easy to lose your shirt that way.
Large books cost a ton to mail down Under.
I get that mailing an actual book costs a lot. Ebooks, however, should not.

High postal charges aren't just one-way. I recently returned some books to a friend in Scotland. >$50 to send three paperbacks.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabiru View Post
Ebooks, however, should not.
You guys do know that book rights are generally sold by country, right? It might be that the publisher of the eBook doesn't have the Australian rights and thus can't sell there without violating their contract with the author.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
I've also used The Book Depository and was very happy with their service. For an Australian, "free international shipping" are the three sweetest words in the English language.
It's not actually free, of course, since bookdepository simply roll up the postage charge in the price they quote you. (They know where you live! And if you lived somewhere else they would quote you a different price.) Still, the postage-inclusive prices they quote are usually pretty attractive.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Looks to me like almost everybody living in Australia would qualify with those criteria. It is odd that they're being ignored.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
You guys do know that book rights are generally sold by country, right? It might be that the publisher of the eBook doesn't have the Australian rights and thus can't sell there without violating their contract with the author.
I can buy a paperback or a hard cover book for the same price (in US dollars) as anyone in the US, excluding shipping costs. So it's clear the author and/or publisher are quite happy for me to actually buy and read the book, just not in electronic format.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
It's not actually free, of course, since bookdepository simply roll up the postage charge in the price they quote you. (They know where you live! And if you lived somewhere else they would quote you a different price.) Still, the postage-inclusive prices they quote are usually pretty attractive.
Except that book depository is generally the cheapest option even if they do roll their shipping costs into the over all price.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
We linked to booko upthread. Run pretty much any book you care to name through it and it will rank retailers by cheapest price including postage. Bookdepository is almost always near the top of the list, way above Australian retailers who only pay domestic shipping (it's that parallel imports thing - our books are so expensive, I've been ordering autographed special editions of Terry Pratchett's new releases from the UK for close to the RRP of an ordinary, unsigned, not special version of the same book from any Australian book store).
Old 10-25-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliahna View Post
We linked to booko upthread. Run pretty much any book you care to name through it and it will rank retailers by cheapest price including postage. Bookdepository is almost always near the top of the list, way above Australian retailers who only pay domestic shipping (it's that parallel imports thing - our books are so expensive, I've been ordering autographed special editions of Terry Pratchett's new releases from the UK for close to the RRP of an ordinary, unsigned, not special version of the same book from any Australian book store).
Sure. And as a consumer I don't actually care about the breakdown between postage costs and the retailer's take; I'm just interested in the total cost to me, and Bookdepository's total cost is generally very competitive.

It's not just the parallel import thing, though. That might explain why Bookdepository is cheaper than Dymocks, but it wouldn't explain why Bookdepository is cheaper than Amazon US, as it very often is. Maybe shipping costs from the US to Australia are greater than shipping costs from the UK to Australia, although there's no obvious reason why that should be so. Maybe Bookdepository is finding other efficiencies. I don't know.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:19 AM

I've often wondered why Amazon don't have a presence here either - I mean, there's an Amazon.ca and that seems a bit odd since you'd think the US operation could handle Canada as well.

Besides the extortionate shipping Amazon charges to Australia (frequently as much or even more than the item itself), there's a baffling array of stuff which they won't ship here - often mundane stuff like pens, watches, clothes and so forth. And that's not including their digital music services and the like which are unavailable here.

Some of the challenges they'd need to overcome have been mentioned (vast distances, no competitively priced large-scale courier services) but I think a lot of people would be happy to have their stuff come by Australia Post as long as they didn't have to pay $100 for a pair of Levis anymore.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
but I think a lot of people would be happy to have their stuff come by Australia Post as long as they didn't have to pay $100 for a pair of Levis anymore.
I think Australia Post should be talking very very earnestly with Amazon. As I mentioned above, Oz Post are trying to drag themselves out from a long term decline in relevance and profitability by concentrating on internet sales delivery. A large company like Amazon that is capable of doing large scale drop-offs to the regional distribution centres Oz Post operates would find a very useful and willing partner.

Oz Post are looking at providing pickup centres as well, where you can go after hours and pick up parcels left during the day. These can be secure, and parcels can be signed for. Thus providing a cheap trackable delivery mechanism. Tracking being what appears to be the missing link in affordable parcel delivery for Oz customers. If they were to link this to cheap sea born cargo shipping, everyone would win. Expensive goods still run the gauntlet of taxes and clearing charges, but there should be a way to avoid the insane prices we are slugged with at the moment.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

For those who didn't know, Amazon bought The Book Depository a couple years back. I'm not sure why Amazon maintains both The Book Depository and Amazon.co.uk. In my experience, The Book Depository has better prices when shipping to the US is included. I wonder if it has something to do with TBD being based on Guernsey, which is a crown dependency and not legally part of the UK.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Vaughan View Post
I think Australia Post should be talking very very earnestly with Amazon. As I mentioned above, Oz Post are trying to drag themselves out from a long term decline in relevance and profitability by concentrating on internet sales delivery. A large company like Amazon that is capable of doing large scale drop-offs to the regional distribution centres Oz Post operates would find a very useful and willing partner.

Oz Post are looking at providing pickup centres as well, where you can go after hours and pick up parcels left during the day. These can be secure, and parcels can be signed for. Thus providing a cheap trackable delivery mechanism. Tracking being what appears to be the missing link in affordable parcel delivery for Oz customers. If they were to link this to cheap sea born cargo shipping, everyone would win. Expensive goods still run the gauntlet of taxes and clearing charges, but there should be a way to avoid the insane prices we are slugged with at the moment.
I agree with this, and I agree there's definitely a hole in the International Delivery To Australia market between "Item flown here in its own private aeroplane at vast expense" and "It gets here when it gets here".

I also think there's a bit of a chicken-and-egg thing happening in that courier services cost a fortune because there isn't the demand for millions of packages to be sent all over the country daily, but the lack of a service which can deliver millions of packages daily and at a competitive price is hampering the ability of someone like Amazon to set up here.

It will be interesting to see how Australia Post's repositioning goes. Personally, I think they're doing the right thing, especially considering New Zealand Post is looking at cutting its mail service back to three days a week(!) due to lack of profitability (and a reported decrease in the number of letters being sent).

Last edited by Martini Enfield; 10-26-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why isn't Amazon in Australia?
Because they have the Murray, darling!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Actually a lot of things available online from the UK have free shipping. It's likely because they don't have to charge us VAT, a type of sales tax, so they can advertise the same price they advertise to UK customers and the shipping is absorbed by the VAT. I get lots of bicycle stuff from the UK.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:47 AM

No overseas business will set up in Australia if they have any sense. Australia Post are signatories to an international postage agreement that means they have had to raise charges for local deliveries by 30% or more to subsidize their loss making delivery of overseas packages. They cannot raise charges for overseas shipments so overseas internet sellers have huge advantages over any business trying to ship within Australia.

Postage costs soar by 30% as online retail booms
Old 10-26-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
No overseas business will set up in Australia if they have any sense. Australia Post are signatories to an international postage agreement that means they have had to raise charges for local deliveries by 30% or more to subsidize their loss making delivery of overseas packages. They cannot raise charges for overseas shipments so overseas internet sellers have huge advantages over any business trying to ship within Australia.

Postage costs soar by 30% as online retail booms
To be fair, we're talking about the cost of sending a letter rising from 45c to 60c. Not exactly vast sums of money for the average punter.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:53 AM

No we are talking about overnight increases of several dollars per package for internet sales within Australia.

Quote:
The rises, which come into effect on Monday, also mean the cost of getting a signature on delivery, a requirement for most online sellers, almost triples from $1 to $2.95.

Online retailers say the changes are a ''direct hit'' on their businesses and they have no option but to charge customers more.

Australia Post defends the increases, saying it is ''operating in a challenging business environment with increasing external costs''.

Jackie Harper of Dubbo, who sells cloth nappies online, said she would now have to pay more than $11 every time she sent a package. Last week it was about $7.

''These prices are passed on to the customers and need to be paid each time an order is sent,'' Ms Harper said.

Last edited by don't ask; 10-26-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
No we are talking about overnight increases of several dollars per package for internet sales within Australia.
I can't say I've some across "signature on delivery" being a requirement for most online businesses here, but to be fair I don't do a lot of domestic online shopping since I'd (usually) rather pay a bit extra (buying from an actual shop) and have the item now and not sometime next week.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:07 AM

Check out booko.com.au and you'll see why it is pointless for overseas operators to start shipping from within Australia. All the free shipping comes from overseas. I can buy books from England for less than the $7 or so that an Australian based business will charge me to mail it from the next suburb. They have to charge that because Australia Post charge them that. If they were in Hong Kong however they would only have to pay what Hong Kong post charge them.