Airlines - why do you want to board early?

I’ve been flying American Airlines a lot recently, and they’ve been doing something I don’t understand. They’ll board the first class and upgrades first, but then before anybody else, they’ll board people traveling with only a small carry-on that fits under the seat. In other words, nothing to put in the overhead bin.

It’s this that I don’t understand. Why would someone WANT to get on the plane early? The seats aren’t comfortable, you can’t walk around, etc etc, all the common airline complaints. Why wouldn’t you want to REDUCE the amount of time you’re on the plane?

IMO, I’d prefer to be the absolute last one on the plane if possible. It’s not Southwest, I have an assigned seat, so what’s the rush? And I like airplanes!

This is not about making sure you have a spot in the overhead bin, I get that.

I completely agree.

Overhead space is the only factor that drives me to get on early.

overhead space + the desire to get everything done at the airport is the only reason I can see.

Also I dislike using the seat infront of me as that reduces legroom, so getting some place other then that to store stuff goes a long way.

It’s almost entirely about the overhead bin space. Also, I want to get in my seat, fasten the seat belt and go to sleep.

Overhead space is by far the main driver for early boarding. On just about every flight I’ve ever been on in the US (which admittedly only tends to be a couple each year, although I’m up to five domestics this year with two more to come), late passengers with carry-ons too large for the under-seat have had to gate-check their bags. Interestingly, this typically doesn’t happen in Australia, for example, where we tend to carry far less on the aircraft (our airports typically are smaller than in the US, and retrieving checked luggage isn’t usually a big deal, so we don’t take the kitchen sink on board).

The only other one for me is if I have a window seat, in which case I want to get there before the aisle and center passengers arrive, so they don’t need to get up again to let me in.

I don’t get this either, but I tend to get motion sick. Also, if I’m with my kids, the last thing I want to do is have them confined longer than they have to be. But they’re not babies, so I don’t have any equipment to take along to get settled - at 3 and 7, they’re much less carry-on intensive than they used to be.

What Dewey Finn said. Plus, I always try to get a window seat, so it makes more sense for me to board before my seatmates.

My question to the OP: It’s been a while since I’ve flown AA; how do they do this? Do they actually announce after the first class and upgrades board that anyone with only a single carry-on that will fit under the seat may now board? Do they monitor whether these people actually do not put their bag in the overhead compartment? I’ve seen people with only a single bag stuff it into the overhead even when it would obviously fit under the seat.

I like traveling, but I hate the transition times. I don’t want to be idling around with my stuff knowing I’ll have to move any minute. I just want to get settled in and zone out.

This would be my specific reason – along with the general desire to just get to the next place I need to be.

This worked against me the last time I flew – I was trying to get to my mom before she died so I had had very little sleep. After the first leg, I got on the next plane and, even though I had read my ticket as I was going through the door, I was so tired somewhere along the aisle I forgot and went to the seat number from the first leg. Got all settled (by the window of course) and zoned out and at the last minute registered confusion and had to lumber to the correct seat. :o

I suppose some people might have brought stuff like a blanket and pillow and want to settle in to their cocoon before another passenger sits down next to them.

My question is the opposite: why are so many people in a rush to get off the plane?

Okay, some of them must have tight connections but in general it’s a lot easier if you just kick back and wait for most of the other passengers to clear out.

I don’t bring a pillow or anything, but pretty much this. I’m small and the seats aren’t that uncomfortable. I just want to get to my window seat and nestled in with a book or whatever. I hate standing around in the aisle and climbing over people to get to a seat.

It’s also nice to be able to walk right back to your seat instead of tripping over and waiting for all the nerfs who can’t get their bag into the overhead or can’t figure out that they need to get out of the aisle to let other people by.

I’m with those who just want to get to my seat and maybe start reading. On a long flight those extra few minutes aren’t going to make much difference.
Roddy

For me, 60% is getting overhead bin space, and 40% is this.

Try it some time. It’s my favorite trick for making travel more bearable: I bring my own pillow :).

As for the OP, I am with even sven on this one. When I am in any kind of “hurry up and wait” situation I am restless. I much prefer to settle in and calmly gaze out the window at the other airplanes.

Because I’ve been sitting there for hours, I probably have to pee, am hungry and tired, have a ride waiting, want to make a phone call (which I don’t like doing in the crowded confines of an airplane), etc.

As for boarding, I’m not usually in a huge rush to get on, but I do kind of agree with even sven. It’s not especially comfortable or relaxing to sit on the plane, but neither is it comfortable or relaxing to sit in the boarding area, especially since that means I need to actually be paying attention to announcements and such. Once I’m on the plane and securely in my seat, I can zone out and think about the lukewarm beer and tiny baggie of peanuts in my future.

For backpacking and camping, I agree. A proper pillow is the single most critical item for getting a good night’s rest.

On a plane, though, pillows just give me a crick in the neck. I’ve learned to simply fall asleep upright. Or, better, load up on caffeine and stay up the whole time.

On a flight of any meaningful duration, I have a full setup- neck pillow, silk sheet, eye mask, earplugs and snacks and reading material at the ready. It looks ridiculous, but it’s as close as a cheapskate like me is getting to first class.

Yes, they make a separate announcement. No, there is no policing of it, not even at the entry to the jetway. So you see a lot of people with bags that pretty clearly aren’t fitting under the seat or in their lap.

Interesting responses all, thanks. I guess I can kind of see the appeal of getting on quick and zoning out, though that only works if you’re in a window seat. For me, though, I try to limit my time in the uncomfortable metal tube!