The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Comments on Cecil's Columns/Staff Reports

Old 12-26-2012, 07:04 AM

Bloodletting

re: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...h-bloodletting

I think you are completely wrong. Physics tells us that if you reduce pressure then there is no my high pressure.

Drug companies - that's what ceased the basic medical care practice of blootletting - which existed for 2000 years.

The Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, Mayans, Aztecs, etc. etc. practiced simple bloodletting. It's on wikipedia.

I have high blood pressure ... extremely high - and I can tell you that you are wrong.

I am not obese... and I believe in modern technology and modern medicine, but capitalism often gets in the way, doesn't it?

As a student of Physics... if you reduce the pressure on a pipe system by reducing the fluid, then that pipe structure will endure less stress. It does not matter the size of the fluids or the size of the pipes....

Bloodletting has been a successful medical strategy to combat high blood pressure for about 2000 years... until drug companies were established.

And you've been around since 1973... big woo.

Last edited by ghostie; 12-26-2012 at 07:09 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

So in other words, your anecdotal report of your unscientific sample size of 1 trumps the medical resources and studies Cecil reviewed? But all that aside, since Cecil agreed that the pressure did drop in the short term...I don't see what your beef is.

And the human circulatory system is not a simple hydraulic pipe network.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Una Persson View Post
So in other words, your anecdotal report of your unscientific sample size of 1 trumps the medical resources and studies Cecil reviewed? But all that aside, since Cecil agreed that the pressure did drop in the short term...I don't see what your beef is.

And the human circulatory system is not a simple hydraulic pipe network.
Well, I think 2000 years of history sort of trumps pretty much everything, don't you?

You are wrong ... the human circulatory system is in fact a hydraulic pipe network.... lol.

Last edited by ghostie; 12-26-2012 at 07:26 AM..
Old 12-26-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostie View Post
Well, I think 2000 years of history sort of trumps pretty much everything, don't you?
So the sun really does go around the earth?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Not really. Considering that it took us until the late 1800s to figure out that some diseases were caused by "germs", and we had thought otherwise for way more than 2000 years before that, longevity of a theory doesn't necessarily mean squat.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:33 AM

And those germs were good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder View Post
Not really. Considering that it took us until the late 1800s to figure out that some diseases were caused by "germs", and we had thought otherwise for way more than 2000 years before that, longevity of a theory doesn't necessarily mean squat.
It turns out that a diverse diet helped us sustain life beyond normal capacities... but bacteria is present in everything ...

I don't use bacterial soap or any of that stuff... Otherwise how could my immune system possibly protect itself?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 AM

The Sun Doesn't stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriah View Post
So the sun really does go around the earth?

Just as it did 2000 years ago... lol
Old 12-26-2012, 07:39 AM

I have high blood pressure... lately I've been experiencing tooth decay and intense paid.

When I lift my leg to get into beg, My tooth throbs.

So, I decided to practice bloodletting - obviously I have high blood pressure.

Really high blood pressure. All my teeth hurt.

I just drained some blood... because obviously this was a problem. When I put my leg up on the bed my tooth throbbed like RED ALERT, RED ALERT, RED ALERT.

Well it worked... so, argue all you like... I don't really care. It worked.

P.S. There are 15 drugs that I didn't need from companies in the USA and around the world who produce such drugs.
I just stuck a hypodermic needle into my arm and let the blood flow... it wasn't that hard, and it worked. I feel 1000% better now.

Last edited by ghostie; 12-26-2012 at 07:42 AM..
Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I have high blood pressure... lately I've been experiencing tooth decay and intense paid.

When I lift my leg to get into beg, My tooth throbs.

So, I decided to practice bloodletting - obviously I have high blood pressure.

Really high blood pressure. All my teeth hurt.

I just drained some blood... because obviously this was a problem. When I put my leg up on the bed my tooth throbbed like RED ALERT, RED ALERT, RED ALERT.

Well it worked... so, argue all you like... I don't really care. It worked.

P.S. There are 15 drugs that I didn't need from companies in the USA and around the world who produce such drugs.
I just stuck a hypodermic needle into my arm and let the blood flow... it wasn't that hard, and it worked. I feel 1000% better now.
Is how you feel the only evidence you are willing to accept at this time? If so, then I see no need to present you with cites and/or facts...and I also see no need to listen to your anecdotes.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 AM

Yup

Yup
Old 12-26-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Is how you feel the only evidence you are willing to accept at this time? If so, then I see no need to present you with cites and/or facts...and I also see no need to listen to your anecdotes.
Indian right? Yea, we're pretty much about done with Indians here in America. Sorry Chump... I have 32 years experience you have none. You lose.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Accept no substitutes

Quote:
Indian right? Yea, we're pretty much about done with Indians here in America. Sorry Chump... I have 32 years experience you have none. You lose.
Moderator note:

Ghostie, if you have a problem with Czarcasm -- or anyone else on this site -- the proper place to take that problem is to the Pit.

You must be civil with others in the other forum areas, even in disagreement. You can "agree to disagree" and discuss and even argue points with people without being rude about it.

Keep this thread civil -- and on topic.

Last edited by TubaDiva; 12-26-2012 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: moderator note
Old 12-26-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
No it doesn't.
Quote:
You are wrong ... the human circulatory system is in fact a hydraulic pipe network.... lol.
No it isn't.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Una said "simple hydraulic pipe network". Yes, the circulatory is a pipe network, but it is an adaptive one. The pipe sizes change based on other system triggers. Blood pressure is not strictly controlled by blood volume, but by other factors like water retention, and blood vessel constriction.

Quote:
It turns out that a diverse diet helped us sustain life beyond normal capacities...
Normal capacities? What does that even mean?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

I'm not so bothered about calling it a pipe network. But you know that the fluid volume goes right back as soon as you take a drink of water, right? The body has many interconnected feedback systems to maintain homeostasis. If a system has gone wonky, it will keep re-establishing the high blood pressure. Fix the system, fix the problem. Relieve the symptom, symptom comes back.

If I were convinced that bleeding helped me, I'd donate blood, and I'd make sure I didn't cheat on their schedule and give too often. Of course, I'd also see a dentist for tooth decay and pain. Leaving that untreated is dangerous. If you're into history, historically, folks knew they could die from untreated tooth pain and they pulled the teeth as the treatment. BLOODLETTING HAS NEVER BEEN A TREATMENT FOR TOOTH PAIN.

Bloodletting was used to balance the four bodily humors: blood (hot/wet), phlegm (cold/wet), yellow bile (hot/dry), and black bile (cold/dry). It was prescribed for fevers that were causing sweats or producing other fluids. It was not prescribed for toothache.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I experienced intense paid once. Unfortunately it didn't last long and I had to go find a job.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
I'm not so bothered about calling it a pipe network. But you know that the fluid volume goes right back as soon as you take a drink of water, right? The body has many interconnected feedback systems to maintain homeostasis. If a system has gone wonky, it will keep re-establishing the high blood pressure. Fix the system, fix the problem. Relieve the symptom, symptom comes back.

If I were convinced that bleeding helped me, I'd donate blood, and I'd make sure I didn't cheat on their schedule and give too often. Of course, I'd also see a dentist for tooth decay and pain. Leaving that untreated is dangerous. If you're into history, historically, folks knew they could die from untreated tooth pain and they pulled the teeth as the treatment. BLOODLETTING HAS NEVER BEEN A TREATMENT FOR TOOTH PAIN.

Bloodletting was used to balance the four bodily humors: blood (hot/wet), phlegm (cold/wet), yellow bile (hot/dry), and black bile (cold/dry). It was prescribed for fevers that were causing sweats or producing other fluids. It was not prescribed for toothache.

You started out pretty good... but bloodletting doesn't require blood donars - we make our own blood. I can't afford the dentist, which is the problem - except that I don't think it's a dental issue, I think it's high blood pressure - which doesn't require a medical professional in my opinion - just bloodletting.

All in all, at least you actually tried to understand part of my post. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
Moderator note:

Ghostie, if you have a problem with Czarcasm -- or anyone else on this site -- the proper place to take that problem is to the Pit.

You must be civil with others in the other forum areas, even in disagreement. You can "agree to disagree" and discuss and even argue points with people without being rude about it.

Keep this thread civil -- and on topic.
Sorry about that, I have 5 abcess teeth at the moment and I'm in intense pain - for 5 days now... which is why I came here.

Obviously I came to the wrong place - the author is on Google for bloodletting - that's how I got here... I had questions.

It's just a philosophical site... with no experience whatsoever. Waste of time. I won't apologize, because it's mostly my time that has been wasted.

Last edited by ghostie; 12-26-2012 at 06:39 PM..
Old 12-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Sorry about that, I have 5 abcess teeth at the moment and I'm in intense pain - for 5 days now... which is why I came here.

Obviously I came to the wrong place - the author is on Google for bloodletting - that's how I got here... I had questions.

It's just a philosophical site... with no experience whatsoever. Waste of time. I won't apologize, because it's mostly my time that has been wasted.
GO SEE A DENTIST. BLOODLETTING WON'T WORK.

I'm telling that to you out of kindness even though this last post of yours was in full-on jerk mode.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
You started out pretty good... but bloodletting doesn't require blood donars - we make our own blood.
All she was saying is that if she was going to be reducing her blood volume by removing blood, she would do it by donating the blood so it would be useful for someone else, rather than dumping it down the drain. You know, not being selfish and all that.

Quote:
I can't afford the dentist, which is the problem - except that I don't think it's a dental issue, I think it's high blood pressure - which doesn't require a medical professional in my opinion - just bloodletting.
There's no way blood pressure would be hurting your teeth if you don't have an underlying dental problem. Which you concede:

Quote:
Sorry about that, I have 5 abcess teeth at the moment
So congratulations on your stellar medical diagnosis that you don't have any dental problems, just a blood pressure problem.

Quote:
So you're in intense pain and coming here to tell us that the way to treat your dental problems is to bleed out rather than go to a dentist? Brilliant.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 PM

Thank you Irishman. I sort of gave up after I realized I could be doing 4,329 things which were more fun than arguing with the OP. I chose #4.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Accept no substitutes

Quote:

Yes, it has been a waste of time, as this is not a dentist's office.

You have five abcessed teeth and you're checking out "experts"on Google? The only thing you should be looking for is names and addresses of dental clinics where you can be properly treated. Everything else is just quackery and bullstuff and false hopes on your part.

Unreated dental infections can lead to, among other things, heart disease. So you could have a bigger problem brewing than just a toothache.

Get this treated appropriately.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
And you've been around since 1973... big woo.
Yup, "woo" about sums it up.