Old 11-06-2013, 03:39 PM

Traffic Stop Nightmare.

Wow. I was skeptical when I saw the story on NY Daily News. So I found the local news story. This actually happened in America. I'm not sure who is worse. The cops or the medical professionals that went along with it.

This wasn't even a normal traffic stop. This guy was pulling out of a Walmart parking lot. Rolling stops are pretty common if theres an obvious break in traffic.

What confuses me is the extreme tests. Even if the guy was hiding drugs they'd be easily found with the x-ray and finger probe. All that other stuff was just sadist and spiteful.

Local Story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...LONOSCOPY.html

Quote:
A review of medical records, police reports and a federal lawsuit show deputies with the Hidalgo County Sheriff's Office, police officers with the City of Deming and medical professionals at the Gila Regional Medical Center made some questionable decisions.

The incident began January 2, 2013 after David Eckert finished shopping at the Wal-Mart in Deming. According to a federal lawsuit, Eckert didn't make a complete stop at a stop sign coming out of the parking lot and was immediately stopped by law enforcement.

Eckert's attorney, Shannon Kennedy, said in an interview with KOB that after law enforcement asked him to step out of the vehicle, he appeared to be clenching his buttocks. Law enforcement thought that was probable cause to suspect that Eckert was hiding narcotics in his anal cavity. While officers detained Eckert, they secured a search warrant from a judge that allowed for an anal cavity search.

The lawsuit claims that Deming Police tried taking Eckert to an emergency room in Deming, but a doctor there refused to perform the anal cavity search citing it was "unethical."

But physicians at the Gila Regional Medical Center in Silver City agreed to perform the procedure and a few hours later, Eckert was admitted.

What Happened

While there, Eckert was subjected to repeated and humiliating forced medical procedures. A review of Eckert's medical records, which he released to KOB, and details in the lawsuit show the following happened:

1. Eckert's abdominal area was x-rayed; no narcotics were found.

2. Doctors then performed an exam of Eckert's anus with their fingers; no narcotics were found.

3. Doctors performed a second exam of Eckert's anus with their fingers; no narcotics were found.

4. Doctors penetrated Eckert's anus to insert an enema. Eckert was forced to defecate in front of doctors and police officers. Eckert watched as doctors searched his stool. No narcotics were found.

5. Doctors penetrated Eckert's anus to insert an enema a second time. Eckert was forced to defecate in front of doctors and police officers. Eckert watched as doctors searched his stool. No narcotics were found.

6. Doctors penetrated Eckert's anus to insert an enema a third time. Eckert was forced to defecate in front of doctors and police officers. Eckert watched as doctors searched his stool. No narcotics were found.

7. Doctors then x-rayed Eckert again; no narcotics were found.

8. Doctors prepared Eckert for surgery, sedated him, and then performed a colonoscopy where a scope with a camera was inserted into Eckert's anus, rectum, colon, and large intestines. No narcotics were found.

Throughout this ordeal, Eckert protested and never gave doctors at the Gila Regional Medical Center consent to perform any of these medical procedures.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-06-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:44 PM

Every. Single. Person. Involved. Should lose their jobs and have their asses sued off.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:49 PM

This morning's thread.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:52 PM

This is different from the pit thread. I was hoping we could calmly discuss it.

There are some significant issues with medical ethics to consider. Why would doctors even do this for the cops? The first ER doctor refused and they went to a second hospital.

I would hope more than lawsuits come from this. These doctors and nurses need a review by their medical boards. This guy was given an anesthetic against his consent. This case could cost some people their medical licenses.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-06-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:52 PM

And the hospital billed him for all those procedures and has threatened to take him to collections if he doesn't pay. Crazy! It's like everyone involved wants to get sued for millions of dollars.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:10 PM

I hope he gets millions. I can't imagine a worse abuse of power. What were they thinking?
Old 11-06-2013, 04:28 PM

Apparently it's happened twice and the same drug dog misalerted in both instances.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s...l#.Unq0Zvmxd8H
Old 11-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Incredible, maybe there is a lot more on why they suspected he had drugs. At least doctors were involved instead of the anal probing being done on the side of the road. That has happened too.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:47 PM

I just posted this in the pit thread, but for the sake of conversation - Kevin Underhill at Lowering the Bar thinks there's problems (I mean, more problems) with the warrent:

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2013/1...ew-mexico.html

Quote:
I guess he should be thankful they didn't dissect him. I mean, they had a warrant.

But about that warrant.... It was issued in Luna County. But GRMC is in Silver City, New Mexico. Which is in Grant County. In which whoever issued this warrant has no authority. Even if they had not taken their victim across the county line, the warrant expired at 10 p.m. The records show that the colonoscopy started three hours later. Horrifying enough that they were still going hours and hours later, but they were also doing so illegally, even assuming there had been probable cause—which, remember, they derived from the clenching of buttocks by someone who rolled through a stop sign.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:51 PM

Ah, government. Ain't it wonderful.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:13 PM

It took me forever to figure out what caused all this uproar, but I think I finally understand. It's that they didn't kisss him afterwards, right?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:27 PM

The 4th Amendment restricts searches like this unless there is probable cause for these actions.

There are news reports that the search was conducted outside the judge's jurisdiction and the warrant had expired.

Everybody involved is in serious trouble.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-06-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
This actually happened in America.
Strictly speaking only. It was New Mexico.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
The 4th Amendment restricts searches like this unless there is probable cause for these actions.

There are news reports that the search was conducted outside the judge's jurisdiction and the warrant had expired.

Everybody involved is in serious trouble.
I hope so, all the way up to the chief of police and county sheriff.

Sometimes in these cases of wrongful action by police we will eventually be treated to some self-serving "explanation" of why the action was justified.

In this case I can't imagine anything they could say that wouldn't just make matters worse, except "we can't comment on an ongoing investigation."

Oh, and I would like to say that this sort of thing, by itself, reflects everything that is wrong with the "war" on (some) drugs.

Roddy
Old 11-06-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITR champion View Post
Old 11-06-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITR champion View Post
So...it's your hope that we can privatize police services in our country? Maybe have private militias just patrol?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:28 PM

Search warrants are very specific. Sometimes they even restrict what can be searched. They have time limits.

I just can't understand why a judge would sign a warrant for an invasive body cavity search on such flimsy evidence. No drugs found in the car. The x-ray was enough to confirm the guy hadn't swallowed a balloon with drugs. They just went way, way beyond any reasonable search.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-06-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:03 PM

The first hospital the doctors took the man to recognized that the search was unethical and refused to comply. The police then took the man to the hospital in question where they performed the above tests. The first doctor is willing to testify on behalf of the defense.

It's terrible what happened to Eckert. In this case heads will roll. What possible justification is there for repeated enemas? When has a colonoscopy every been ordered to search for drugs?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Sun Jester View Post
Strictly speaking only. It was New Mexico.
Good thing it wasn't Old Mexico, then they'd really get nasty.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:05 PM

This story is very disturbing just on the surface, but note that the incident happened more than 10 months ago and it is just now making the national news.

10 months. That is astounding to me. I wonder if there were any efforts made to pay the victim off. If this were a TV or movie, then the victim wouldn't have lasted for ten months.

Normally these kinds of stories bother me, but this one is beyond the pale.
If this happened to one person, I am pretty doggone sure it has happened to others.

Is this kind of abuse actually increasing in probability, or is it an artifact of ubiquitous news coverage? If the latter, I would have expected a swifter reporting of this crime (and a crime it is most certainly, if the facts are as they are presented).

Gosh, I do hope this man gets true justice.

Last edited by Gagundathar; 11-06-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

I'll admit to being a little puzzled as to why there is no criminal investigation based on the allegations at issue.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
I am reminded of an ancient Comedy Central piece where a guy in a prison in some unnamed but clearly south of the US country is forced to swallow candies and small toys whole, until he's just huge & bloated. Then they hang him from the ceiling and a little girl in a party dress & blindfold is walked in carrying a piñata-smacking stick....
Old 11-06-2013, 08:04 PM

Some more information at USNews.
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...in-drug-search

The man was 63. I wonder if the doctors even checked for medical issues like polyps? Or were they just doing a drug search?

Quote:
It's unclear why the colonoscopy was necessary after enemas and x-rays did not reveal hidden drugs. Eckert was sent a $6,000 bill for the medical procedures he involuntarily underwent, his lawyer says.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:12 PM

I have to ask. What color is he?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 PM

USNews describes him as a white 63 year old. Like Tom Petty. I guess he has long hair.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-06-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
White
Old 11-07-2013, 09:03 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
What possible justification is there for repeated enemas? When has a colonoscopy every been ordered to search for drugs?
From the point of view of the hospital the only thing that I can guess is that they somehow also became convinced there were drugs and that his life was in danger. Thats the only thing that could possibly make sense. But how they went that far...I have no idea how they justified it to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagundathar View Post
This story is very disturbing just on the surface, but note that the incident happened more than 10 months ago and it is just now making the national news.

10 months. That is astounding to me. I wonder if there were any efforts made to pay the victim off. If this were a TV or movie, then the victim wouldn't have lasted for ten months.

Normally these kinds of stories bother me, but this one is beyond the pale.
If this happened to one person, I am pretty doggone sure it has happened to others.

Is this kind of abuse actually increasing in probability, or is it an artifact of ubiquitous news coverage? If the latter, I would have expected a swifter reporting of this crime (and a crime it is most certainly, if the facts are as they are presented).

Gosh, I do hope this man gets true justice.
How is that astounding? The only way it would make the news would be if Eckert went to the press with it at the time. I don't see anything to indicate he did. The second article specifically says he wants to protect his privacy. Seems like instead he went to a lawyer and now its coming out because the lawsuit was filed in federal court. It takes time to gather up everything you need for a lawsuit.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:05 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
If you read the article linked just above your post the lawyer is alleging that the Hispanic cops are prejudiced against him because he is white.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
No kidding. Heads wouldn't just roll, they'd ride on the back of a booby-trapped tortoise.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
The first doctor is willing to testify on behalf of the defense.
Do you mean he's willing to testify for the plaintiff (the man who filed the lawsuit)? Or is he going to testify for the defendant (cops, hospital, etc.).

Last edited by Kimballkid; 11-07-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
Do you mean he's willing to testify for the plaintiff (the man who filed the lawsuit)? Or is he going to testify for the defendant (cops, hospital, etc.).
It sounds to me that the first doctor is the one at the first hospital, who told the cops that the search was unethical; and that this doctor would testify against the cops.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
. . .booby-trapped tortoise.
Band name!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:03 AM

As noted in the nearby Pit thread at Post #137, these kind of searches, on flimsy pretexts, seem to be getting commonplace.

Article I saw on-line yesterday: Police turn routine traffic stops into cavity searches. (Still on-line as of today, 11/8/2013).