How do you feel about these Health Care ads?

Everywhere I’ve been on the internet today, people have been abuzz about doyougotinsurance.com. (At the moment I’m posting this, the website seems to be down, but you can see some ads here.) The verdict seems to be negative. The ads were created to sell insurance to young adults on Colorado’s state exchange. Among them:

Picture of three guys at a kegger. “Kegs stands are crazy. Not having insurance is crazier. Don’t tap into your beer money to cover those medical bills.”

Picture of guy standing on a keg. “Not sure how I ended up here perched on top of this keg. I could totally fall, but that’s okay. My budget will stay balanced even if I don’t, because I got insurance.”

Picture of five women taking shots. “Shotskis keep us happy. Flu shots keep us healthy. Saving money on flu shots leaves us more money for fun shots.”

“Let’s get physical. OMG he’s hot! Let’s hope he’s as easy to get as this birth control. My health insurance covers the pill, which means all I have to worry about is getting him between the covers.”

So apparently since I’m a man, the advertisers think they’ll get me with ads about beer and being stupid. If I was a woman, then instead I’d be focused on alcohol, guys, and being “smokin’ hot”. And regardless of gender, I can’t use proper grammar. Anyone else find these ads offensive?

Wait. Those are real ads? I thought those were over the top parodies meant only to disparage.

They’re fucking stupid. But here we are, talking about them. Which means the ACA is being discussed. So perhaps the ads are working as designed.

I think they’re kinda funny. A little too tryhard, perhaps. But I know lots of people in that demographic, and I think these ads will be effective.

Keep in mind, they aren’t trying to reach professionals, or even young college students (who would likely still be covered under their parents’ plans). They’re trying to reach young uneducated healthy people who may not have ever been insured before–like 19-25, working in retail/food service, hard-partier types.