How do they know the colors of black and white films?

Just heard of the upcoming colorized version of the “I love Lucy” Christmas special. I even watched a short clip. What struck me was the vibrant purple of Ethel’s dress. How do they know her dress was purple? Or for that matter, how do they know what any of the colors were?

They may still have the dress somewhere. They may have color pictures taken on the set. They may have written words describing the dress. They may have made up the color.

There’s also a chance the colors were all a drab mishmash that only looked good together in black & white. For example, until the advent of color film, they used chocolate syrup for fake blood.

Mostly, they guess.

George Reeve’s Superman outfit was mud brown and yellow, because that had the closest display values to red and blue on black and white TV.

For shows through the early 1970s shot in color, the director would use a filter to view the scene and check lighting and color combinations in neutral tones. More than once on live or hurriedly-shot footage, colors that had high contrast turned to muddy similar grays on B&W.

Well, this chap has been colourizing old photographs – which look a trifle like old Edwardian postcards coloured by hand… – and I assumed he made an educated guess. Made easier by the fact that so many of our ancestors opted for a trendy drab black to look hip and goth.
Click Show as list to see them on one page.
Personally, I prefer the coloured versions, since the limitation to black/white was a factor of the technology’s period. Not that there’s much difference in Poe or Lincoln coloured or not. The latter’s co-killer, Lewis Powell looks very modern though: perhaps he wasn’t as much of a gloomy gus as those two. The Civil Rights March of 1963 actually could be taken for an original coloured image though.

Mashable Dana Keller

You really wouldn’t want them to be too accurate. Max Factor (who was a real person before a makeup line) found some really creative makeup colors and techniques to make those people look natural, but in reality, they looked grotesque. Cosmetics and Skin: Max Factor and Televison

Another interesting example are the police cars used in old movies and television shows. A real police car might have been black and green. A film crew would use cars painted red and yellow. They avoided public confusion because the cars didn’t look anything like real police cars during the filming. But on black and white film they looked the same as real police cars.

If they have the original film, they can know how that particular kind of film (eg: panchromatic, isochromatic, etc.) responds to different colors using skin tones and any “standard” colors such as yellow bananas, green grass, red apples, brass trumpets, etc. as a reference.

But they would have been right at home on the set of the original Addams Family TV show (in color!)

twitch Oh, weird! That’s just…wrong…so bright!

That looks as if Charles Addams himself designed it!

In general, they don’t, and they don’t care. I read a complaint by one Hollywood figure who complained that a dress in a black and white film was incorrectly colored. they knew, because they’d seen the original. They also complained because the colorizing agency claimed to have researched the colors, and had demonstrably got this one wrong.

I’ve also read comments that clothes are differently colored in different colorized versions of films like It’s a Wonderful Life.

In the 1933 King Kong, the sailors from the Venture probably wore white shirts. The Turner colorized version has them wearing light blue shirts, undoubtedlty because it’s more interesting and visually striking than white.

The colorized version of She has the “magical fire” effects at the end being blue and yellow. Seeing as Magical Fire doesn’t exist, and the special effects footage was originally just black, white, and gray, the colorizers obviously felt free to color it as they saw fit, and as would be most dramastic.

They could, but, of course, you still have to deal with luminance values, and you have the issue of many colors mapping to the same gray value. An easy example is red and green of approximately the same shade. In color, they have great contrast, being complementary colors. Photographed by a panchromatic black and white medium, they might be the exact shade of gray. Put a green or red filter on the camera, though, and then you will have great contrast between the two (as well as shifting the black-and-white values for the rest of the scene.)

So it’ll all be a guess, anyway. You might be able to make some deductions based on a reference and based on the spectral sensitivity of your film, but it’s still mostly guesswork.

I remember some critic, I think Roger Ebert while still paired with Gene Siskel, commenting on the colorization of a Frank Sinatra (“Old Blue Eyes”) film, in which his eyes weren’t blue. He/they then went on to comment on the idiocy of “Paper Moon” having been colorized when it was deliberately shot in B&W long after color had become standard.

Wow, these are really good. I’m ordinarily not impressed by colorization efforts, and much prefer the black and white original. But these were interesting and fairly realistic. Especially the march on Washington.

The Doctor Who Restoration Society had an episode of Dr Who that was shot in color but the only remaining copy was in black & white. Somehow they used a method of analyzing the waveforms / moire patterns of the shades of black & white on the copy to reproduce exactly the original colors as filmed. Pretty amazing, but it wouldn’t work for something that was originally shot in black & white (at least, I don’t think so).
There’s a description of how they did it on their web site, which is dedicated to ‘how to restore old film/video to its original when all you’ve got is bad copies’.

I disagree. Lincoln looks so different in color.

Here’s Charlie Chaplin out of makeup in ‘color.’ He looks like Gordon Gano.

I’m guessing they don’t do TARDIS repair?

In the 1938 film *Jezebel, *it was important that Bette Davis’ dress looked red. A great deal of work went into choosing the right color . . . which finally turned out to be “bronze.”