How Common is Bread in Different Cultures?

How common is bread in different cultures? How does how bread is made vary? In cultures which seldom use bread what are the alternatives?

What class is this for?? Reads JUST like some soc101 question but not sure.

There’s only one bread culture: Yeastaria. It is from here that bread was brought forth out of the darkness and it is back here where it shall return

Soc101 or Anth101, for sure.

Do your own homework, punk.

Not common at all. The Blactoofs peoples on the volcanic islands in the Pacific made a paste of ground stone and salt water that they heated on lava rocks. The people of The Caucuses used caulk.

“Oceanaria has always been at war with Yeastaria.”

That wasn’t a war. It was just an uprising.

:smiley:

I’ve always found that theory half baked.
Do you have any proof?

Just like any rebellion, millions of sleepers waiting to be activated.

Indeed.

Don’t forget that the usage of bread in various cultures is a function of altitude, flatbreads are common in the low altitudes, but peoples in hilly regions would use yeast and rising breads. This was primarily so that the bread was tall enough to eat. Many highland cultures died out because of their refusal to switch from flatbreads after a migration or diaspora.

:rolleyes:

Apparently being snarky trumps fighting ignorance here.

Anywhere people have learned to exploit the nutrients in cereal seeds with fermentation and/or the addition of useful chemicals, bread can exist. It takes a lot of different forms, though. One bread can be rather unlike another.

You do know it’s against the rules to ask the board to do your homework for you, right?

You did homework for football players in high school to keep from getting beaten up, didn’t you? :wink:

I assign homework. I don’t do homework. And most importantly, I don’t do someone else’s homework.

Yes, yes it does.

To answer the question I can’t think of any culture off hand that did not have some form of bread, even cultures that don’t have grain can make a sort of bread out of starchy root tubers(manioc etc).

Maybe Inuit?

But isn’t yeast a cultureall it’s own?

Actually after I posted this I checked Wikipedia (which was the obvious place I should have checked first):

Sorry.

Southern African Bantu cultures were no strangers to yeast fermentation (making both grain beers and honey meads) but never developed a local bread AFAIK - grain was just eaten as stiff polenta-like porridges, originally using sorghum and millet, and later maize.

Did the Japanese have any breads?

The answer seems to be that until the Portugese came, wheat was used for noodles but not bread. The Japanese word for bread, pan, comes from the Portugese.

Not having a traditional bread/baking background the Japanese have enthusiastically adapted the baking traditions of the French. I can honestly say some of the best baguettes and croissants I’ve ever had were in Kyoto. If you’re ever near the Kyoto Royal hotel stop in the coffee shop and have a cup of coffee and buy a croissant from the counter just outside the entrance to the coffee shop, you won’t be sorry.