View Poll Results: Is the "Peanuts Theme" Christmas Music?
Yes 170 48.16%
No 183 51.84%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

No, "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" are clearly different songs. It's "Holly Jolly Christmas" that's the same.

And yeah, I'll concede that there are actual winter-related lyrics in JBR. I guess I've done a better job than I thought of purging that song from my memory.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:59 AM

I'm very surprised that so many of you are saying yes. If it were just from the Christmas special, I'd get it. But it's not. It's essentially the theme song for the Peanuts movies, and a theme song doesn't become a Christmas song just because there's a Christmas special.

I mean, I guess we can sing the Flintstones theme around the tree this year, but...
Old 12-16-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I'm very surprised that so many of you are saying yes. If it were just from the Christmas special, I'd get it. But it's not. It's essentially the theme song for the Peanuts movies, and a theme song doesn't become a Christmas song just because there's a Christmas special.

I mean, I guess we can sing the Flintstones theme around the tree this year, but...
I agree. If it was a Christmas song shouldn't people be asking "Why are they playing the Charlie Brown Christmas song in It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown?"
Old 12-16-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
You betcha sweet ass it is. Try listening to the opening bars and not thinking of the Peanust Christmas special.
I do it all the time. It's not "Christmas music" IMO. "Christmastime is Here," yes, but not "Linus and Lucy." (I consider it more of "the Peanuts theme" than Christmas music. Of course, most people probably don't watch Peanuts specials besides ACBC and It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, whereas some of us can tell you (a) why "Charlie Brown's All-Stars" is anachronistic, and (b) the first Peanuts special with an actual adult voice:)

SPOILER:
(a) It was made back in the days when Little League specifically banned girls, going so far as to say, "If there is a girl on any team at any level in your league, don't bother sending a team to the tournament"

(b) Play it Again, Charlie Brown; at the end, when one of Lucy and Peppermint Patty is stuck without a musical group for the PTA meeting, the other pulls out a spray can and sprays it, and adult voices can be heard; the last line is something like, "PTA meetings now come in spray cans, too."
Then again, I keep hearing "I Wonder As I Wander", and I don't consider that Christmas music either (the second line makes it sound more like an Easter song than a Christmas one). The same goes for the "Hallelujiah!" chorus of Handel's "Messiah"; while you can make a case for the whole thing being Christmas music, "Hallelujiah!" refers specifically to his resurrection - again, Easter.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Without "A Charlie Brown Christmas" (and it's massive success) there are no follow-up Peanuts specials (or films). "Linus and Lucy" was written for "A Charlie Brown Christmas"; it does not exist in a universe in which "A Charlie Brown Christmas" does not exist, and its existence as an integral part of this CHRISTMAS special is not diminished by its use in other programs.

To say it's not Christmas music would be as ridiculous as positing a Bing Crosby television sitcom set at a Vermont resort, with "White Christmas" being the theme music, and saying that it makes "White Christmas" NOT Christmas music.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

I'm surprised by these results. Linus and Lucy is a tune from A Boy Called Charlie Brown. It gets its title by being the tune that is played during a scene between (duh) Linus and Lucy. Other tracks include Schroeder, Charlie Brown Theme, and Freda (With the Naturally Curly Hair).

L&L is probably the most popular tune on the soundtrack, and I can believe that it's reprised in the Christmas special, and probably every other Peanuts cartoon. I don't how that makes it a Christmas song, but at least it has more connection than My Favorite Things.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:13 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjeff View Post
Cite? I don't remember ever hearing it with singing. On the original soundtrack album, and it's an instrumental.
What's that Yuletide whooshing sound I hear...?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:47 PM

It isn't inherently Christmas music so that if you heard it for the first time you'd say "That's a Christmas song!"

But it's culturally Christmas music.

I haven't listened to any Christmas music yet this year, but someone mentioned Handel, so I have to listen to "For Unto Us a Child is Born," which means I'll be singing it (and trying to sing every part) for days. My husband will hate all of you. HA!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:24 PM
SDSAB

I was at Messiah sing-along last night and had a great time. I hope he doesn't hate me already.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Without "A Charlie Brown Christmas" (and it's massive success) there are no follow-up Peanuts specials (or films). "Linus and Lucy" was written for "A Charlie Brown Christmas"; it does not exist in a universe in which "A Charlie Brown Christmas" does not exist, and its existence as an integral part of this CHRISTMAS special is not diminished by its use in other programs.

To say it's not Christmas music would be as ridiculous as positing a Bing Crosby television sitcom set at a Vermont resort, with "White Christmas" being the theme music, and saying that it makes "White Christmas" NOT Christmas music.
Since it's already been established that your primary argument (bolded) is categorically untrue, do you want to try again?

One of my favorite television Christmas episodes was from MASH. But that doesn't make its theme song Christmas music, even if that's the only episode of the show I ever choose to watch and always associate that music with the holiday.

So, no, it is not even remotely "ridiculous" to assert a big NO to the question, and to do so as definitively as you do is, well, ridiculous.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMogul View Post
Since it's already been established that your primary argument (bolded) is categorically untrue, do you want to try again?

One of my favorite television Christmas episodes was from MASH. But that doesn't make its theme song Christmas music, even if that's the only episode of the show I ever choose to watch and always associate that music with the holiday.

So, no, it is not even remotely "ridiculous" to assert a big NO to the question, and to do so as definitively as you do is, well, ridiculous.
The first time Linus and Lucy has raised hackles.

I do think it's true that the massive success of A Charlie Brown Christmas is the only reason any of us are still talking about the piece, and the only reason any of the other specials got made.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

It is not inherently a Christmas song. However, it has become a Christmas song by association, and that association is stronger than the association for many other songs which are likewise Christmas only by association.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Getting back to the OP, I actually downloaded a cover of "Linus and Lucy" without twigging to the Peanuts connection, and I never figured it out until recently; I'm not sure if it was this thread, another SDMB thread that mentioned the title in connection with Peanuts, or something else just a few weeks ago. (I was just looking for music I hadn't heard by a particular vocalist, and was a little surprised to find an instrumental track, but I liked it.)

Anyway, it didn't immediately strike me as 'That's a Christmas tune' either, so I voted 'No.' (And now I feel really stupid for assuming that the title characters were a romantic couple. )
Join today!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
assuming that the title characters were a romantic couple.
Eeeewwww!

Last edited by Kimballkid; 12-17-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
It is not inherently a Christmas song. However, it has become a Christmas song by association, and that association is stronger than the association for many other songs which are likewise Christmas only by association.
I'm surprised how many people only hear it around the holidays. On the radio it seems to be a jazz and/or easy listening station staple - I hear it pretty much year round.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMogul View Post
While I am totally gobsmacked to learn that Guaraldi did not write it specifically for the Christmas special, I don't think I do.

I'm comfortable with my assertion that it's Christmas music, in the same sense that Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (from a movie about the 1904 World's Fair) is Christmas music.

Don't make me mention Neptune's Daughter.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:51 PM
SDSAB

Um.

If you don't mention Neptune's Daughter, something really bad is going to happen to you.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I'm comfortable with my assertion that it's Christmas music, in the same sense that Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (from a movie about the 1904 World's Fair) is Christmas music.
Well, one big difference is that only one has Christmas in the title!

Also, we never saw "Have Yourself..." performed by Judy subsequently in Easter Parade and The Pirate and A Star is Born, all in specifically non-Yuletide settings.

Essentially, the extent to which people consider "L&L" Xmas music is proportional to how often they're exposed to the song. If the only time they ever hear it is during said Christmas special, it's understandable. A good analogy might be the "Troika" from Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kije, which pops up often this time of year because of the sleigh bell thing.

But the fact remains that it's been used in plenty of other non-Christmas contexts, and most of the times I've heard it (other specials, my Boy Named Charlie Brown soundtrack album) is outside of that show, so to not consider it Christmas music is perfectly reasonable.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:07 PM
SDSAB

Who died and made you Solomon?
Old 12-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
I'm surprised how many people only hear it around the holidays. On the radio it seems to be a jazz and/or easy listening station staple - I hear it pretty much year round.
Yeah, I don't really listen to easy listening stations, so about the only time I hear L&L in the wild is around this time of year. Heard it yesterday at Hobby Lobby, in fact. It's one of those songs that didn't start out with Christmas associations to me, but now is just de facto a part of the Christmas soundtrack, much like "My Favorite Things." My cultural association with that song was "Sound of Music," but now it has been taken over by Christmas.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Um.

If you don't mention Neptune's Daughter, something really bad is going to happen to you.
Damn you.

Neptune's Daughter (1949) marks the first time Baby, It's Cold Outside was used in anything other than Mr. and Mrs. Frank Loesser's private dinner parties.

Peruvian professional polo player Ricardo Montalban seduces Esther Williams with it, while, in another part of the hotel, Betty Garrett (her sister) is going all vampy on Red Skelton (his masseur) with the same song.

And now it's a Christmas Song!

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 12-17-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:33 PM

No.

Christmas songs sound out-of-place when not played during Christmas. As in people will ask "Why the hell are you playing Christmas music when it's August?!"

While it was made famous by a Christmas episode of Peanuts, it appears in many other episodes and is more accurately classified as a "Peanuts" song. Compare that to Guaraldi's "Skating," for instance.

It doesn't have lyrics (or even a title) that connect it to the holiday or wintertime. It doesn't have any jingle-bell percussion that is a hallmark of "Christmasy" music.

Moreover, it was originally written before the cartoon and the jazzy brilliance transcends the narrow classification of "Christmas Music."
Old 12-17-2013, 10:54 PM

I voted NO and the results are 78 Yes and 77 No.

I guess that makes the poll question a Great Poll Question.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
I voted NO and the results are 78 Yes and 77 No.

I guess that makes the poll question a Great Poll Question.
Thank you. I was honestly curious what people thought. My Die Hard question was very overwhelmingly yes. I am a little surprised this is as evenly split as it is.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and
Quote:
Quoth pulykamell:

I don't think of those ["Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" and "Halleluiah Chorus"] as Christmas songs. I actually did not realize they were associated with Christmas at all.
I just checked my iTunes library, and I have ten albums of Christmas songs. Of those, four contain "Jesu", and two contain "Halleluiah". Both were also included in the program of the TubaChristmas concert I attended this year. I think it's safe to say that means they're both associated with Christmas.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Thank you. I was honestly curious what people thought. My Die Hard question was very overwhelmingly yes. I am a little surprised this is as evenly split as it is.
Die Hard was undisputedly set during Christmas. Whether that makes it a Christmas movie is in the eye of the beholder. L&L was not written for Christmas, it appeared in one Christmas special but also appeared in dozens of non-Christmas Peanuts projects over decades. It's easy to see how there would be a difference.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:15 PM
SDSAB

Plus all those people who say that Die Hard is a Christmas movie are simply wrong.

D&R
Old 12-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Oh, and

I just checked my iTunes library, and I have ten albums of Christmas songs. Of those, four contain "Jesu", and two contain "Halleluiah". Both were also included in the program of the TubaChristmas concert I attended this year. I think it's safe to say that means they're both associated with Christmas.
I would agree with you, then. It's just never a connection I've made or noticed, and I would not have considered those Christmas tunes if you had asked me. But if they do appear that much on Christmas collections then, like "Linus and Lucy", I suppose they're de facto Christmas tunes. They just don't seem to play them at all on the Christmas stations I listen to, and this is the first I've learned of it, so I guess you learn something new every day at the Straight Dope.

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-18-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Plus all those people who say that Die Hard is a Christmas movie are simply wrong.

D&R
Please feel free to voice that here. The Poll is still open
Old 12-18-2013, 04:36 PM
SDSAB

Been there, done that.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:28 PM

Sorry if it is not appropriate but I thought I would resurrect this thread from last year to see if there was further discussion/voting for this year.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
I agree. If it was a Christmas song shouldn't people be asking "Why are they playing the Charlie Brown Christmas song in It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown?"
Yes, that would be kind of depressing. And it's the opening of the Halloween show, (which I think is a better show anyway, and which I've seen a lot more). Plus, Halloween comes before Christmas.

The Christmas show has its own tunes, so there's no reason for it to lay claim to this one.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Gee, how best to put this?

That lyric is from "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree," not "Jingle Bell Rock."

"Snowing and blowing up bushels of fun
Now the jingle hop has begun

Dancing and prancing in Jingle Bell Square
In the frosty air.

Jingle bell time is a swell time
To go gliding in a one-horse sleigh
Giddy-up jingle horse, pick up your feet

Clearly at least a Winter song, which we play this time of year (oddly).

These are a few of my Favorite things is also considered a Winter song, due to:
Doorbells and sleigh bells ...
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs

but "Brown paper packages tied up with strings" isnt a Christmas reference.

Walking in a winter wonderland is not explicitly Christmas either.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
assuming that the title characters were a romantic couple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
Eeeewwww!
"I'm not your sweet babboo either!"

Before reading this thread I would have been inclined to vote "Yes," but I've been talked out of it.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:20 PM
SDSAB

Somebody actually changed his mind after reading a Straight Dope thread? Alert the media!
Old 12-01-2014, 04:52 PM

I just voted and it's 91 - 89 Yes's are winning.

I voted no because it's the Peanuts theme to me, and not a Christmas song at all.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
"Snowing and blowing up bushels of fun
Now the jingle hop has begun

Dancing and prancing in Jingle Bell Square
In the frosty air.

Jingle bell time is a swell time
To go gliding in a one-horse sleigh
Giddy-up jingle horse, pick up your feet

Clearly at least a Winter song, which we play this time of year (oddly).

These are a few of my Favorite things is also considered a Winter song, due to:
Doorbells and sleigh bells ...

but "Brown paper packages tied up with strings" isnt a Christmas reference.
Whadday mean? All those gifts under the tree, tastefully wrapped in kraft paper and twine.

Oh, colorful gift wrap and ribbon? How gauche. Much too mainstream. </hipsterkitty>
Old 12-01-2014, 05:42 PM

And, no pulls ahead! This thread could go back and forth every year.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Thing is, I am not sure of the OP.

By "Christmas Music" do you mean tunes associated with Xmas, or those which have Christmas lyrics (or in the case of instrumentals have titles or were written as)?

So, yes to associated with Xmas.

It's at least as "Christmassy" as These are a Few of my Favorite Things. OK?

No to: Lyrics. Not definately Christmas.

Last edited by DrDeth; 12-01-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
The Peanuts theme has a far stronger claim to being Christmas Music than "My Favorite Things," which I hear too often on Christmas music themed collections. Makes me stabby.
Hey, "raindrops on roses," is a very Christmasy image!

...in New Zealand.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
I don't think we have any "winter songs" that aren't "Christmas songs" in our culture, unless they're specifically other religious festival songs, like "The Chanukah Song." Cultural ooze, and a good argument for the secular nature of Santa-and-presents-Christmas, as opposed to the Christian Happy-Birthday-Jesus Christmas.

The Peanuts theme has a far stronger claim to being Christmas Music than "My Favorite Things," which I hear too often on Christmas music themed collections. Makes me stabby.
These lyrics are very specifically winter:Doorbells and sleigh bells ...

Secular Winter song.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

D&R
Well, I say it sort of facetiously, so I may be complexly wrong.

It's possible that I overdosed on "Christmas stuff" as a kid, & so now embrace the sardonic categorization of Die Hard as a Christmas movie. (Although it's really just an action movie set that week.)

But I don't think "Linus and Lucy" is a Christmas song. Christmas-compatible, let's say.

Which arguably is a good category for Die Hard and maybe The Long Kiss Goodnight.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:13 AM

I voted "no". Thanks for keeping the poll open.

Now, how do I vote for George McGovern?
Old 12-02-2014, 11:57 AM
SDSAB

You're only 42 years and a coupla months late!
Old 12-02-2014, 04:51 PM

FWIW I asked a couple people at work (all hovering in the 40 - 50 age range) and they all said no it is not because it's the Peanuts theme
Old 12-03-2014, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're only 42 years and a coupla months late!
One month! (And 42 years.)
Old 12-03-2014, 03:37 AM

It is a boogie. It is not Christmas music. Although if someone thinks it is Christmas music and plays it during the season, that is a real relief.

Also, Pachelbel's Canon in D is not a Christmas song. Although it is not a relief because some philistine clod has come up with Christmasy lyrics, and not very good ones at that.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 12-03-2014 at 03:40 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:58 AM

Kinda like the Hallelujah Chorus is an Easter song but try to convince the people singing it that Jesus did not rise again on Christmas.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:09 AM
"Superstar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
I don't really associate the Peanuts theme with Christmas, but I am probably in the minority.

Now, the Peanuts classic Christmas Time is Here is just full of Christmas feels.
This is how I feel too. Doesn't help that the Peanuts theme is our hold music at work, so I hear it a lot year round.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
I don't really associate the Peanuts theme with Christmas, but I am probably in the minority.

Now, the Peanuts classic Christmas Time is Here is just full of Christmas feels.
So, having watched it last nite, my vote is in. Theme- no. Christmas Time is Here- of course.