View Poll Results: Is the "Peanuts Theme" Christmas Music?
Yes 167 47.99%
No 181 52.01%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
I don't really associate the Peanuts theme with Christmas, but I am probably in the minority.
I don't either - I'm surprised to discover that so many people do. To me it's just the season-agnostic "Peanuts Theme."

Current poll results are very close to 50/50....

Last edited by brad_d; 12-03-2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added a sentence
Advertisements  
Old 12-04-2014, 08:31 AM

I voted NO. I associate Lucy and Linus with the start of the new school year.

My two pence on the other questions raised here...

Favorite Christmas Action Movie: The Long Kiss Good Night

A Few of my Favorite Things? Resides on the cusp of secular holiday music/seminal musical number

The Christmas Shoes song is the WORST, most treacle infused pile of sentimental holiday crap filled tripe to permeate the airwaves during the holiday season. I would punch a caroler at the mall If I heard it playing in a store, which is why I don't do holiday shopping at the mall.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:08 PM

I stand by my assertion that both answers are correct. It depends on what you mean by "Christmas music."

Is Jingle Bells considered a Christmas song? It's about winter, not Christmas. I bet they don't sing it at Christmas time in Australia! (Ditto for "Winter Wonderland," "Baby it's Cold Outside," and a bunch of others.)
Old 12-04-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
I don't really associate the Peanuts theme with Christmas, but I am probably in the minority.

Now, the Peanuts classic Christmas Time is Here is just full of Christmas feels.
Agreed. The main Peanuts theme is just that - the Peanuts theme (and they have a lot of non-Christmas related stuff). But the latter song immediately makes me think of A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Last edited by magnusblitz; 12-04-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:40 PM

I'm glad this thread has popped up again. Just a few days ago, I head Linus and Lucy form the first time in ages. Not as a Christmas tune - the date was not significant. It was a reminder of another context it comes up in constantly...or at least used to when I was a kid.

Commercials for Met Life. It might still be constant for all I know....I don't get GSN, where I saw the commercial, at home.

But, yeah...Linus and Lucy says life insurance before it says Christmas, to me.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:46 AM
BANNED

nm

Last edited by handsomeharry; 12-06-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:07 AM

It's that time of year. I thought I would revive this one more time for further discussion.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
(Although it's really just an action movie set that week.)
Not just set that week...set on Christmas Eve.

As for Linus and Lucy, I voted not Christmas music, but I do understand how it could be considered such.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

If you only hear something at Christmas time, played with other Christmas music (yes, there can be random exceptions) then it's Christmas music.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:58 PM

Unlike my Die thread, this one didn't generate much new discussion but the vote is so close I wanted to give it a go as well.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:19 PM

The other Peanuts specials only used it because it was so great in the Christmas show. None of the other peanuts specials had the impact of that one, musically or dramatically. And I don't even remember L & L being in the other ones.
Then again I saw it first run. I was the target audience.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:28 PM

Also if it matters by now: The theme was composed by Guaraldi for the Christmas special. He demoed it for the producer a couple of weeks after being hired for that job.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:05 PM

"Let it Snow" and "Winter Wonderland" and "Jimgle Bells" are not Christmas songs either. Just northern winter songs, with no mention of anything associated with Christmas. Once there is snow on the ground, you never hear them anymore, either.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-26-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Also if it matters by now: The theme was composed by Guaraldi for the Christmas special. He demoed it for the producer a couple of weeks after being hired for that job.
Yes, it was composed for the Christmas special, but as dance music, for a scene where the gang refuses to concentrate on rehearsing the for the Christmas play.

If Vince Guaraldi had considered it Christmas music, why would he have used it in the Halloween special?

He wouldn't. To use Christmas music in a Halloween pumpkin hunting scene would make no sense. Therefore Guaraldi didn't consider it Christmas music. Therefore, it isn't.

Last edited by Enter the Flagon; 11-27-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Except as pointed out three years ago it was composed for an album called Jazz Impressions of A Boy Named Charlie Brown released a good year previously.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
Except as pointed out three years ago it was composed for an album called Jazz Impressions of A Boy Named Charlie Brown released a good year previously.
Oops, you're right. Why is this poll even close?
Old 11-27-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
From Wiki : "Mendelson contacted Ralph J. Gleason, jazz columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle and was put in touch with Guaraldi. He proposed that Guaraldi score the upcoming Peanuts Christmas special and Guaraldi enthusiastically took the job, performing a version of what became "Linus and Lucy" over the phone two weeks later." So we have to conclude that he put out the album in the interim when they were producing the show.

In my post I said that the music was so popular when broadcast in the Christmas show that they were happy to use it again. But it was composed for that show. Being a monster theme was not predictable. It was a monster theme because it was part of that Christmas show. I can't see how it wasn't christmassy because it was what the gang danced to when they were goofing off from their rehearsals. It's more christmassy for that if anything.

Last edited by drad dog; 11-27-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
From Wiki : "Mendelson contacted Ralph J. Gleason, jazz columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle and was put in touch with Guaraldi. He proposed that Guaraldi score the upcoming Peanuts Christmas special and Guaraldi enthusiastically took the job, performing a version of what became "Linus and Lucy" over the phone two weeks later." So we have to conclude that he put out the album in the interim when they were producing the show.
This claims that it was written originally for the documentary "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" (that never aired but predated the Christmas special). Given that the name of the album was "Jazz Impressions of a Boy Named Charlie Brown," I'm inclined to believe that it was originally written for that.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

And, it's a little unclear from the Wikipedia article, but it says:

Quote:
The soundtrack to A Charlie Brown Christmas is an unorthodox mix of traditional Christmas music and jazz. The jazz portions were created by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. Producer Lee Mendelson, a fan of jazz, heard Guaraldi's crossover hit "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" on the radio not long after completion of his documentary Charlie Brown & Charles Schulz, and contacted the musician to produce music for the special.[5] Guaraldi composed the music for the project, creating an entire piece, "Linus and Lucy," to serve as the theme.[6] When Coca-Cola commissioned A Charlie Brown Christmas in spring 1965, Guaraldi returned to write the music.
It's unclear, but to me "the special" refers to the documentary, so Mendelson contacted Guaraldi to score his documentary, "A Boy Named Charlie Brown." When Coca-Cola commissioned the Christmas episode in spring 1965, Guaraldi came back to write some more music for it. At least that's how it reads to me, and that's how it makes sense to me, since the Christmas project wasn't even commissioned until after "Linus and Lucy" already had been released.

At any rate, I did vote for it as being Christmas music when this thread first came around, but it does look like it predates the Christmas special and was not written for it.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-27-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Hopefully, this link to Google Books works for you, as there is a relevant passage from that book that details how Mendelson called up Guaraldi (with quotes from Mendelson) seeking a score for his Charles Shultz/Peanuts documentary, A Boy Named Charlie Brown. It relays the same anecdote posted above about hearing the tune over the phone two weeks later, but it's in reference to the documentary, not the Christmas special.

(For some reason, when I initially link to it, it doesn't show the page previous, but when I scroll up and down, it shows the text on the previous page. In case you can't read page 160, it talks about Mendelson designing his documentary on Charles Schultz and figuring out who he wants to score it.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-27-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

For me, it will always be the Paul W Smith theme song, although it's been some years since he's switched. Unless he's switched back; I've not heard the show in years, either.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

How about this: Is "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" Christmas music? It's an instrumental piece from a Christmas-themed show, too.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Vince Guaraldi was a fairly well-known San Francisco jazz pianist and composer; he had appeared on several Cal Tjader albums during the 1950s, and live with the Tjader mambo band at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 1958.

In the mid '60s he was friendly with the Grateful Dead, then living in a house near the corner of Haight and Ashbury -- he sat in on keyboard during several of their early concerts.

He appears in the famous back cover group photo on the 1969 album AOXOMOXOA. He's the guy in the dark glasses, standing next to the horse in the background.

Always great to hear about a jazz musician with a cash cow!
Old 11-27-2016, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Flagon View Post
Yes, it was composed for the Christmas special, but as dance music, for a scene where the gang refuses to concentrate on rehearsing the for the Christmas play.

If Vince Guaraldi had considered it Christmas music, why would he have used it in the Halloween special?

He wouldn't. To use Christmas music in a Halloween pumpkin hunting scene would make no sense. Therefore Guaraldi didn't consider it Christmas music. Therefore, it isn't.
Don't care the he didn't consider it a Christmas carol. It's on the playlist of the seasonal radio station, which makes it a Christmas carol. And it makes every show or movie that it appears in a Christmas show/movie. That's the thing about Christmasness. It spreads by contact, like a zombie virus.

That's also why Shrek is now a Christmas movie (they playing "Hallelujah" by Pentatonix now, so the Jeff Buckley version transmits Christmasness to the movie).
Old 11-27-2016, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Vince Guaraldi was a fairly well-known San Francisco jazz pianist and composer; he had appeared on several Cal Tjader albums during the 1950s, and live with the Tjader mambo band at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 1958.

In the mid '60s he was friendly with the Grateful Dead, then living in a house near the corner of Haight and Ashbury -- he sat in on keyboard during several of their early concerts.

He appears in the famous back cover group photo on the 1969 album AOXOMOXOA. He's the guy in the dark glasses, standing next to the horse in the background.

Always great to hear about a jazz musician with a cash cow!
Well I'll be damned. That is some Grateful Dead trivia that I never knew.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
I don't think we have any "winter songs" that aren't "Christmas songs" in our culture, unless they're specifically other religious festival songs, like "The Chanukah Song." Cultural ooze, and a good argument for the secular nature of Santa-and-presents-Christmas, as opposed to the Christian Happy-Birthday-Jesus Christmas.
Realizing that this is a response to an OLD post (and not caring ).

The only one I can think of is very obscure. Spike Jones recorded "In the Winter" (in one of their rare "straight" recordings). The bass singer is Thurl Ravenscroft; a familiar voice if not a familiar name to most people. He is most noted for comments about the virtues of sugary breakfast cereal and the non-virtues of the Grinch.

SPOILER:
That's right. Metaphysically, it's Tony the Tiger commenting that "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch"

Perhaps it faded into obscurity because it didn't become associated with Christmas
Old 11-30-2016, 12:53 PM

"Christmas music" is whatever makes you think of Christmas. If I'm hurrying through the mall on Christmas Eve and humming the theme to "Mission Impossible", then that can seem like Christmas music, at that moment, to me.

Now, if the title had been [Is the "Peanuts" theme (Linus & Lucy) only Christmas Music?"] then the answer would not be so contentious. But then, that's why "only" was left out and why we have such an enjoyable thread.

So, as the poll may be closing, get your votes in soon ...

dun dun dundun dun dun dundun dun dun dundun dun dun dundun diddleduuuuuuunn diddleduuuuuuunn diddleduuuuuuunn dudu dundun dududu - duduuUuuUuuUuuUuuU
Old 11-30-2016, 01:44 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
I haven't listened to any Christmas music yet this year, but someone mentioned Handel, so I have to listen to "For Unto Us a Child is Born," which means I'll be singing it (and trying to sing every part) for days. My husband will hate all of you. HA!
Three years later, I don't recall whether or not you did this. But as I'm generally filled with hate, it seems likely that you did.

But I'll throw in with the folks who feel like Linus and Lucy is Christmas music even if it wasn't rooted in Christmas themes. It has a very strong association for me.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:58 PM

You mean to tell me it's not MetLife's theme?
Old 11-30-2016, 04:06 PM

No. There are a lot of songs on the Vince Guaraldi Trio, Charlie Brown Christmas album and they are nearly all Christmas songs. That one is not. Just give the album a listen.

If it's a Christmas song, then so is Powerhouse.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:39 PM

The song is a Christmas hit. The circumstances of its birth and afterlife don't change that.

It was never used as effectively, or as anything other than a reminder that you were watching the same gang that you enjoyed at christmas. This happened because of the high quality of the drama and music aspects of the Christmas special.

I grew up with it and most people my age would say "It's christmas music"

Because we didn't grow up with boxed sets, DVDs or even VCRs. It was a big deal that it was shown on network once a year and I think I would have noticed if the song was prominent at any other time. I never knew it was til this thread. I'd be surprised if it was a major use of the theme though.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:38 PM

FWIW I grew up with it and to me it said "Charlie Brown" not "Christmas". The other music in the special does say "Christmas".
Old 11-30-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
It's an instrumental from a children's Christmas classic. It's mostly heard only at Christmas time. Yep.
First of all, it's not heard only at Christmas time -- I used to play it on my radio show years ago at my college radio station. But even if you were correct, keep this in mind: The Dreidel Song IS actually heard primarily around Christmas time. And I've never heard anyone ever claim that that's a Christmas song because of its proximity to Christmas. Hell, the Classic rock station around here always does a countdown show around Thanksgiving, to their inevitable number one song, "Stairway to Heaven", making a big to-do about it, making fun of the fact that the number 2 song never ever comes close, and I've never heard that being called a Thanksgiving song because it is featured on a Thanksgiving radio show.

What makes something a holiday song is it being about the holiday or some holiday tradition.

Last edited by Haldurson; 11-30-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Watching the Charlie Brown Christmas special is a holiday tradition for a lot of folks.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian View Post
Three years later, I don't recall whether or not you did this. But as I'm generally filled with hate, it seems likely that you did.
And you posting about it put it back into my head!

FOR unto US a child is BO-ORRRN!

Unto US!
A SON is GIVEN!

FOR unto US a child is BOR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-RN!
Old 12-01-2016, 10:06 AM

Yes, it is one of the greatest Christmas songs of our age.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
FWIW I grew up with it and to me it said "Charlie Brown" not "Christmas". The other music in the special does say "Christmas".
Same here. Growing up, the song always meant Charlie Brown to me, not Christmas. It wasn't until the last decade or so that I realized it was a staple of Christmas playlists, which is why I voted yes in this thread. While it doesn't mean Christmas to me personally, it does seem like it does in general pop culture.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:45 AM

I think we can only find the definitive answer to this question by looking to the most reliable source of all: Charlie Brown himself.

As you will recall from A Charlie Brown Christmas, our hero has been selected to direct the Christmas play. When he gets to the auditorium, he attempts to give his cast some basic instruction and orient them to his directing style, but soon finds that they are not paying attention. They are, instead, ignoring him in favor of dancing to the jazzy tune that we would come to know as "Linus and Lucy." He immediately orders "Stop the music," and valiantly attempts to get the production back on course.

After parts are assigned, he asks Schroeder to set the mood for the first scene. Schroeder's response is to strike up "Linus and Lucy" yet again. Charlie Brown instantly yells "Cut!", and rejects the music with a frustrated "No, no, no!" Later still, asked by Lucy to give an opinion of the play, he tells her "It's all wrong," because it lacks the proper mood.

Thus, we can see that "Linus and Lucy" is not a Christmas song, as Charlie Brown explicitly rejects it as appropriate music for a Christmas play. It is, rather than being Christmas music, presented as a distraction from the Christmas spirit, something that pulls us away from the proper celebration of the holiday rather than leading us toward it.

The above is only partially serious, but generally I'm with those who argue that it's more "Peanuts music" than "Christmas music." It shows up in many other Peanuts specials, including the Halloween and Thanksgiving shows, and has always signified just "Peanuts" to me.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
I think we can only find the definitive answer to this question by looking to the most reliable source of all: Charlie Brown himself.

As you will recall from A Charlie Brown Christmas, our hero has been selected to direct the Christmas play. When he gets to the auditorium, he attempts to give his cast some basic instruction and orient them to his directing style, but soon finds that they are not paying attention. They are, instead, ignoring him in favor of dancing to the jazzy tune that we would come to know as "Linus and Lucy." He immediately orders "Stop the music," and valiantly attempts to get the production back on course.

After parts are assigned, he asks Schroeder to set the mood for the first scene. Schroeder's response is to strike up "Linus and Lucy" yet again. Charlie Brown instantly yells "Cut!", and rejects the music with a frustrated "No, no, no!" Later still, asked by Lucy to give an opinion of the play, he tells her "It's all wrong," because it lacks the proper mood.

Thus, we can see that "Linus and Lucy" is not a Christmas song, as Charlie Brown explicitly rejects it as appropriate music for a Christmas play. It is, rather than being Christmas music, presented as a distraction from the Christmas spirit, something that pulls us away from the proper celebration of the holiday rather than leading us toward it.

The above is only partially serious, but generally I'm with those who argue that it's more "Peanuts music" than "Christmas music." It shows up in many other Peanuts specials, including the Halloween and Thanksgiving shows, and has always signified just "Peanuts" to me.
Well yeah except the part about how you missed the whole point of the show.

The reveal at the end is the point. It was always christmas all along. Charlie Brown realizes that their celebrations are actually christmas. The same way that the Charlie Brown tree is revealed to be a great tree.

Charlies annoyance at the song doesn't mean it wasn't a christmas song. It was part of the drama of the special, which was "Charlie Brown Christmas".

But if you watched all the shows on a box set over and over it might have another meaning.

As a childhood fan I remember the specials got less and less good with each one. That is why I always think of L and L as Christmas music. The other uses were just exploitation. Can anyone give an example of the use of this song for any other dramatic purpose? The purpose was always to say "These are the kids from the Christmas special"
Old 12-01-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldurson View Post
First of all, it's not heard only at Christmas time -- I used to play it on my radio show years ago at my college radio station. But even if you were correct, keep this in mind: The Dreidel Song IS actually heard primarily around Christmas time. And I've never heard anyone ever claim that that's a Christmas song because of its proximity to Christmas. Hell, the Classic rock station around here always does a countdown show around Thanksgiving, to their inevitable number one song, "Stairway to Heaven", making a big to-do about it, making fun of the fact that the number 2 song never ever comes close, and I've never heard that being called a Thanksgiving song because it is featured on a Thanksgiving radio show.

What makes something a holiday song is it being about the holiday or some holiday tradition.
Dreidel is a Hannukah song. What is your point about Dreidel? You played it?

Why didn't you ever tell us about your local thanksgiving countdown before? OK, I get it now. Stairway is a Thanksgiving song. Glad to have set that right. As long as it's a real local station, licensed by the FCC, that should do it.

L&L is an instrumental. So you are saying there can be no Christmas instrumental music?

The logic here is relentless. I can only lay down and murmur surrender.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Yes, but personally I have an even stronger association between Skating and Christmas, mainly because around this time every year I'm always trying to play it on the piano. One of these years I'll actually get it up to speed.
Check out "Jitterbug Waltz" as a starting point, then work your way up LOL
Old 12-01-2016, 08:48 PM

The Simpsons also started with a Christmas special but no one associates their theme with Christmas.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The Simpsons also started with a Christmas special but no one associates their theme with Christmas.
I waas gonna post this, but then realized they started off as Tracey Ullman Show shorts.

Last edited by Trancephalic; 12-01-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancephalic View Post
I waas gonna post this, but then realized they started off as Tracey Ullman Show shorts.
Sure, but I think the theme song originated with the Christmas special, right?

At any rate, it doesn't matter. For whatever reason, the Simpsons song is not associated with Christmas. "Linus and Lucy" is--about half the respondents here say it's a Christmas song so, as long as you're defining "Christmas song" as "song associated with Christmas" and not "song about Christmas," then it clearly is. Just like "My Favorite Things" has de facto become a Christmas/holiday song, despite the fact that it was never intended as such.

Look, Christmas isn't the first thing I think of when I hear "Linus and Lucy." Like I said, up until about a decade ago, I didn't even notice it was associated with Christmas, even though the Peanuts specials were the height of television excitement for me as a kid growing up in the 80s (I will forever remember the spinning "CBS Special" logo, which to me which had a Pavlovian association to me with Peanuts that I'd be upset when a non-Peanuts CBS special would follow it.) But, culturally, it is. If Christmas playlists started including the Simpsons theme song in their rotation, then it would have become a Christmas song to me.

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-01-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:24 PM

I'm not seeing the comparisons with simpsons. They were a short feature, not a holiday thing. All this bringing in of comparisons it's just so pedantic and case-making.

L&L is christmas because that was the height of it's power as a song. They used it as an ambient theme in later, lesser works but never featured the song other than as an identifier, unlike in the original where it had a dramatic context.

Maybe it's the original viewers would have a tendency to say it's Christmas.

You would only think of it as not christmas if you were exposed to the overkill of Peanuts specials and advertising later on where the theme got overused and ruined.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:43 PM

But if it was a Christmas song why even attempt to put it into other Peanuts features? If it was a Christmas song wouldn't it feel completely out of place in Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin? They didn't use "Christmas Time is Here" or "Skating" in The Great Pumpkin because those ARE Christmas/winter songs.
It doesn't feel out of place because it's not a Christmas song. It's titled "Linus and Lucy" and may as well be titled "The Peanut's Theme".
Play the song for most people and ask them what's the first thing they think of. Most will say "Peanuts!" or "Charlie Brown!". I don't know many that will say "Christmas!"
Old 12-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

While I do agree with you that it doesn't say "Christmas music" to me, how do you reconcile that with the fact that almost half the respondents here do consider it Christmas music?
Old 12-02-2016, 04:32 PM

Japan considers KFC christmas food, doesn't make it so.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancephalic View Post
Japan considers KFC christmas food, doesn't make it so.
If that is true, then it certainly does in the context of Japanese culture.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:54 PM

Voted no, with the following arguments:

-I consider it the Peanuts Theme, because it was used in many other works that have nothing to do with Christmas
-The music itself is not evocative of Christmas
-It does not have a Christmas-related title or lyrics

Of course, people will forge mental associations based on the circumstances of first listen, but prior to opening the thread I was quite puzzled how this could be remotely considered a Christmas song.