View Poll Results: Is the "Peanuts Theme" Christmas Music?
Yes 167 47.99%
No 181 52.01%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 12-03-2014, 11:09 AM
brad_d brad_d is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
I don't really associate the Peanuts theme with Christmas, but I am probably in the minority.
I don't either - I'm surprised to discover that so many people do. To me it's just the season-agnostic "Peanuts Theme."

Current poll results are very close to 50/50....

Last edited by brad_d; 12-03-2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added a sentence
Advertisements  
  #102  
Old 12-04-2014, 08:31 AM
NVME702-redux NVME702-redux is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 231
I voted NO. I associate Lucy and Linus with the start of the new school year.

My two pence on the other questions raised here...

Favorite Christmas Action Movie: The Long Kiss Good Night

A Few of my Favorite Things? Resides on the cusp of secular holiday music/seminal musical number

The Christmas Shoes song is the WORST, most treacle infused pile of sentimental holiday crap filled tripe to permeate the airwaves during the holiday season. I would punch a caroler at the mall If I heard it playing in a store, which is why I don't do holiday shopping at the mall.
  #103  
Old 12-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Learjeff Learjeff is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 4,086
I stand by my assertion that both answers are correct. It depends on what you mean by "Christmas music."

Is Jingle Bells considered a Christmas song? It's about winter, not Christmas. I bet they don't sing it at Christmas time in Australia! (Ditto for "Winter Wonderland," "Baby it's Cold Outside," and a bunch of others.)
  #104  
Old 12-04-2014, 01:07 PM
magnusblitz magnusblitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
I don't really associate the Peanuts theme with Christmas, but I am probably in the minority.

Now, the Peanuts classic Christmas Time is Here is just full of Christmas feels.
Agreed. The main Peanuts theme is just that - the Peanuts theme (and they have a lot of non-Christmas related stuff). But the latter song immediately makes me think of A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Last edited by magnusblitz; 12-04-2014 at 01:07 PM.
  #105  
Old 12-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Kamino Neko Kamino Neko is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Alternate 230
Posts: 14,414
I'm glad this thread has popped up again. Just a few days ago, I head Linus and Lucy form the first time in ages. Not as a Christmas tune - the date was not significant. It was a reminder of another context it comes up in constantly...or at least used to when I was a kid.

Commercials for Met Life. It might still be constant for all I know....I don't get GSN, where I saw the commercial, at home.

But, yeah...Linus and Lucy says life insurance before it says Christmas, to me.
  #106  
Old 12-06-2014, 01:46 AM
handsomeharry handsomeharry is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 7,886
nm

Last edited by handsomeharry; 12-06-2014 at 01:50 AM.
  #107  
Old 11-28-2015, 06:07 AM
Quimby Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,016
It's that time of year. I thought I would revive this one more time for further discussion.
  #108  
Old 12-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Rhiannon8404 Rhiannon8404 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 7,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
(Although it's really just an action movie set that week.)
Not just set that week...set on Christmas Eve.

As for Linus and Lucy, I voted not Christmas music, but I do understand how it could be considered such.
  #109  
Old 12-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Backwater Under_Duck Backwater Under_Duck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 917
If you only hear something at Christmas time, played with other Christmas music (yes, there can be random exceptions) then it's Christmas music.
  #110  
Old 11-25-2016, 09:58 PM
Quimby Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,016
Unlike my Die thread, this one didn't generate much new discussion but the vote is so close I wanted to give it a go as well.
  #111  
Old 11-25-2016, 11:19 PM
drad dog drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4,402
The other Peanuts specials only used it because it was so great in the Christmas show. None of the other peanuts specials had the impact of that one, musically or dramatically. And I don't even remember L & L being in the other ones.
Then again I saw it first run. I was the target audience.
  #112  
Old 11-25-2016, 11:28 PM
drad dog drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4,402
Also if it matters by now: The theme was composed by Guaraldi for the Christmas special. He demoed it for the producer a couple of weeks after being hired for that job.
  #113  
Old 11-26-2016, 04:05 PM
jtur88 jtur88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 12,829
"Let it Snow" and "Winter Wonderland" and "Jimgle Bells" are not Christmas songs either. Just northern winter songs, with no mention of anything associated with Christmas. Once there is snow on the ground, you never hear them anymore, either.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-26-2016 at 04:05 PM.
  #114  
Old 11-27-2016, 06:21 AM
Enter the Flagon Enter the Flagon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Also if it matters by now: The theme was composed by Guaraldi for the Christmas special. He demoed it for the producer a couple of weeks after being hired for that job.
Yes, it was composed for the Christmas special, but as dance music, for a scene where the gang refuses to concentrate on rehearsing the for the Christmas play.

If Vince Guaraldi had considered it Christmas music, why would he have used it in the Halloween special?

He wouldn't. To use Christmas music in a Halloween pumpkin hunting scene would make no sense. Therefore Guaraldi didn't consider it Christmas music. Therefore, it isn't.

Last edited by Enter the Flagon; 11-27-2016 at 06:25 AM.
  #115  
Old 11-27-2016, 09:45 AM
Doug K. Doug K. is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Hutchinson, KS
Posts: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Also if it matters by now: The theme was composed by Guaraldi for the Christmas special. He demoed it for the producer a couple of weeks after being hired for that job.
Except as pointed out three years ago it was composed for an album called Jazz Impressions of A Boy Named Charlie Brown released a good year previously.
  #116  
Old 11-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Enter the Flagon Enter the Flagon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
Except as pointed out three years ago it was composed for an album called Jazz Impressions of A Boy Named Charlie Brown released a good year previously.
Oops, you're right. Why is this poll even close?
  #117  
Old 11-27-2016, 02:28 PM
drad dog drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
Except as pointed out three years ago it was composed for an album called Jazz Impressions of A Boy Named Charlie Brown released a good year previously.
From Wiki : "Mendelson contacted Ralph J. Gleason, jazz columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle and was put in touch with Guaraldi. He proposed that Guaraldi score the upcoming Peanuts Christmas special and Guaraldi enthusiastically took the job, performing a version of what became "Linus and Lucy" over the phone two weeks later." So we have to conclude that he put out the album in the interim when they were producing the show.

In my post I said that the music was so popular when broadcast in the Christmas show that they were happy to use it again. But it was composed for that show. Being a monster theme was not predictable. It was a monster theme because it was part of that Christmas show. I can't see how it wasn't christmassy because it was what the gang danced to when they were goofing off from their rehearsals. It's more christmassy for that if anything.

Last edited by drad dog; 11-27-2016 at 02:29 PM.
  #118  
Old 11-27-2016, 02:44 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
From Wiki : "Mendelson contacted Ralph J. Gleason, jazz columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle and was put in touch with Guaraldi. He proposed that Guaraldi score the upcoming Peanuts Christmas special and Guaraldi enthusiastically took the job, performing a version of what became "Linus and Lucy" over the phone two weeks later." So we have to conclude that he put out the album in the interim when they were producing the show.
This claims that it was written originally for the documentary "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" (that never aired but predated the Christmas special). Given that the name of the album was "Jazz Impressions of a Boy Named Charlie Brown," I'm inclined to believe that it was originally written for that.
  #119  
Old 11-27-2016, 02:52 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,273
And, it's a little unclear from the Wikipedia article, but it says:

Quote:
The soundtrack to A Charlie Brown Christmas is an unorthodox mix of traditional Christmas music and jazz. The jazz portions were created by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. Producer Lee Mendelson, a fan of jazz, heard Guaraldi's crossover hit "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" on the radio not long after completion of his documentary Charlie Brown & Charles Schulz, and contacted the musician to produce music for the special.[5] Guaraldi composed the music for the project, creating an entire piece, "Linus and Lucy," to serve as the theme.[6] When Coca-Cola commissioned A Charlie Brown Christmas in spring 1965, Guaraldi returned to write the music.
It's unclear, but to me "the special" refers to the documentary, so Mendelson contacted Guaraldi to score his documentary, "A Boy Named Charlie Brown." When Coca-Cola commissioned the Christmas episode in spring 1965, Guaraldi came back to write some more music for it. At least that's how it reads to me, and that's how it makes sense to me, since the Christmas project wasn't even commissioned until after "Linus and Lucy" already had been released.

At any rate, I did vote for it as being Christmas music when this thread first came around, but it does look like it predates the Christmas special and was not written for it.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-27-2016 at 02:53 PM.
  #120  
Old 11-27-2016, 03:00 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,273
Hopefully, this link to Google Books works for you, as there is a relevant passage from that book that details how Mendelson called up Guaraldi (with quotes from Mendelson) seeking a score for his Charles Shultz/Peanuts documentary, A Boy Named Charlie Brown. It relays the same anecdote posted above about hearing the tune over the phone two weeks later, but it's in reference to the documentary, not the Christmas special.

(For some reason, when I initially link to it, it doesn't show the page previous, but when I scroll up and down, it shows the text on the previous page. In case you can't read page 160, it talks about Mendelson designing his documentary on Charles Schultz and figuring out who he wants to score it.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-27-2016 at 03:02 PM.
  #121  
Old 11-27-2016, 07:58 PM
Balthisar Balthisar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA
Posts: 10,263
For me, it will always be the Paul W Smith theme song, although it's been some years since he's switched. Unless he's switched back; I've not heard the show in years, either.
  #122  
Old 11-27-2016, 09:09 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 72,187
How about this: Is "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" Christmas music? It's an instrumental piece from a Christmas-themed show, too.
  #123  
Old 11-27-2016, 09:13 PM
Ukulele Ike Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 15,025
Vince Guaraldi was a fairly well-known San Francisco jazz pianist and composer; he had appeared on several Cal Tjader albums during the 1950s, and live with the Tjader mambo band at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 1958.

In the mid '60s he was friendly with the Grateful Dead, then living in a house near the corner of Haight and Ashbury -- he sat in on keyboard during several of their early concerts.

He appears in the famous back cover group photo on the 1969 album AOXOMOXOA. He's the guy in the dark glasses, standing next to the horse in the background.

Always great to hear about a jazz musician with a cash cow!
  #124  
Old 11-27-2016, 09:38 PM
kaylasdad99 kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 27,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Flagon View Post
Yes, it was composed for the Christmas special, but as dance music, for a scene where the gang refuses to concentrate on rehearsing the for the Christmas play.

If Vince Guaraldi had considered it Christmas music, why would he have used it in the Halloween special?

He wouldn't. To use Christmas music in a Halloween pumpkin hunting scene would make no sense. Therefore Guaraldi didn't consider it Christmas music. Therefore, it isn't.
Don't care the he didn't consider it a Christmas carol. It's on the playlist of the seasonal radio station, which makes it a Christmas carol. And it makes every show or movie that it appears in a Christmas show/movie. That's the thing about Christmasness. It spreads by contact, like a zombie virus.

That's also why Shrek is now a Christmas movie (they playing "Hallelujah" by Pentatonix now, so the Jeff Buckley version transmits Christmasness to the movie).
  #125  
Old 11-27-2016, 09:42 PM
hajario hajario is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 15,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Vince Guaraldi was a fairly well-known San Francisco jazz pianist and composer; he had appeared on several Cal Tjader albums during the 1950s, and live with the Tjader mambo band at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 1958.

In the mid '60s he was friendly with the Grateful Dead, then living in a house near the corner of Haight and Ashbury -- he sat in on keyboard during several of their early concerts.

He appears in the famous back cover group photo on the 1969 album AOXOMOXOA. He's the guy in the dark glasses, standing next to the horse in the background.

Always great to hear about a jazz musician with a cash cow!
Well I'll be damned. That is some Grateful Dead trivia that I never knew.
  #126  
Old 11-30-2016, 09:53 AM
MacLir MacLir is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
I don't think we have any "winter songs" that aren't "Christmas songs" in our culture, unless they're specifically other religious festival songs, like "The Chanukah Song." Cultural ooze, and a good argument for the secular nature of Santa-and-presents-Christmas, as opposed to the Christian Happy-Birthday-Jesus Christmas.
Realizing that this is a response to an OLD post (and not caring ).

The only one I can think of is very obscure. Spike Jones recorded "In the Winter" (in one of their rare "straight" recordings). The bass singer is Thurl Ravenscroft; a familiar voice if not a familiar name to most people. He is most noted for comments about the virtues of sugary breakfast cereal and the non-virtues of the Grinch.

SPOILER:
That's right. Metaphysically, it's Tony the Tiger commenting that "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch"

Perhaps it faded into obscurity because it didn't become associated with Christmas
  #127  
Old 11-30-2016, 12:53 PM
Corner Case Corner Case is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Flower Mound, TX, USA
Posts: 1,458
"Christmas music" is whatever makes you think of Christmas. If I'm hurrying through the mall on Christmas Eve and humming the theme to "Mission Impossible", then that can seem like Christmas music, at that moment, to me.

Now, if the title had been [Is the "Peanuts" theme (Linus & Lucy) only Christmas Music?"] then the answer would not be so contentious. But then, that's why "only" was left out and why we have such an enjoyable thread.

So, as the poll may be closing, get your votes in soon ...



dun dun dundun dun dun dundun dun dun dundun dun dun dundun diddleduuuuuuunn diddleduuuuuuunn diddleduuuuuuunn dudu dundun dududu - duduuUuuUuuUuuUuuU
  #128  
Old 11-30-2016, 01:44 PM
Asimovian Asimovian is offline
The Zeroeth Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
I haven't listened to any Christmas music yet this year, but someone mentioned Handel, so I have to listen to "For Unto Us a Child is Born," which means I'll be singing it (and trying to sing every part) for days. My husband will hate all of you. HA!
Three years later, I don't recall whether or not you did this. But as I'm generally filled with hate, it seems likely that you did.

But I'll throw in with the folks who feel like Linus and Lucy is Christmas music even if it wasn't rooted in Christmas themes. It has a very strong association for me.
  #129  
Old 11-30-2016, 01:58 PM
Trancephalic Trancephalic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 866
You mean to tell me it's not MetLife's theme?
  #130  
Old 11-30-2016, 04:06 PM
pmwgreen pmwgreen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 239
No. There are a lot of songs on the Vince Guaraldi Trio, Charlie Brown Christmas album and they are nearly all Christmas songs. That one is not. Just give the album a listen.

If it's a Christmas song, then so is Powerhouse.
  #131  
Old 11-30-2016, 04:39 PM
drad dog drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4,402
The song is a Christmas hit. The circumstances of its birth and afterlife don't change that.

It was never used as effectively, or as anything other than a reminder that you were watching the same gang that you enjoyed at christmas. This happened because of the high quality of the drama and music aspects of the Christmas special.

I grew up with it and most people my age would say "It's christmas music"

Because we didn't grow up with boxed sets, DVDs or even VCRs. It was a big deal that it was shown on network once a year and I think I would have noticed if the song was prominent at any other time. I never knew it was til this thread. I'd be surprised if it was a major use of the theme though.
  #132  
Old 11-30-2016, 07:38 PM
Quimby Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,016
FWIW I grew up with it and to me it said "Charlie Brown" not "Christmas". The other music in the special does say "Christmas".
  #133  
Old 11-30-2016, 08:57 PM
Haldurson Haldurson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
It's an instrumental from a children's Christmas classic. It's mostly heard only at Christmas time. Yep.
First of all, it's not heard only at Christmas time -- I used to play it on my radio show years ago at my college radio station. But even if you were correct, keep this in mind: The Dreidel Song IS actually heard primarily around Christmas time. And I've never heard anyone ever claim that that's a Christmas song because of its proximity to Christmas. Hell, the Classic rock station around here always does a countdown show around Thanksgiving, to their inevitable number one song, "Stairway to Heaven", making a big to-do about it, making fun of the fact that the number 2 song never ever comes close, and I've never heard that being called a Thanksgiving song because it is featured on a Thanksgiving radio show.

What makes something a holiday song is it being about the holiday or some holiday tradition.

Last edited by Haldurson; 11-30-2016 at 08:58 PM.
  #134  
Old 11-30-2016, 09:46 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 72,187
Watching the Charlie Brown Christmas special is a holiday tradition for a lot of folks.
  #135  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:03 AM
jsgoddess jsgoddess is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: DC area
Posts: 29,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian View Post
Three years later, I don't recall whether or not you did this. But as I'm generally filled with hate, it seems likely that you did.
And you posting about it put it back into my head!

FOR unto US a child is BO-ORRRN!

Unto US!
A SON is GIVEN!

FOR unto US a child is BOR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-OR-RN!
  #136  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:06 AM
Drunky Smurf Drunky Smurf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Smurf Village.
Posts: 10,598
Yes, it is one of the greatest Christmas songs of our age.
  #137  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:09 AM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
FWIW I grew up with it and to me it said "Charlie Brown" not "Christmas". The other music in the special does say "Christmas".
Same here. Growing up, the song always meant Charlie Brown to me, not Christmas. It wasn't until the last decade or so that I realized it was a staple of Christmas playlists, which is why I voted yes in this thread. While it doesn't mean Christmas to me personally, it does seem like it does in general pop culture.
  #138  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:45 AM
MrAtoz MrAtoz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,166
I think we can only find the definitive answer to this question by looking to the most reliable source of all: Charlie Brown himself.

As you will recall from A Charlie Brown Christmas, our hero has been selected to direct the Christmas play. When he gets to the auditorium, he attempts to give his cast some basic instruction and orient them to his directing style, but soon finds that they are not paying attention. They are, instead, ignoring him in favor of dancing to the jazzy tune that we would come to know as "Linus and Lucy." He immediately orders "Stop the music," and valiantly attempts to get the production back on course.

After parts are assigned, he asks Schroeder to set the mood for the first scene. Schroeder's response is to strike up "Linus and Lucy" yet again. Charlie Brown instantly yells "Cut!", and rejects the music with a frustrated "No, no, no!" Later still, asked by Lucy to give an opinion of the play, he tells her "It's all wrong," because it lacks the proper mood.

Thus, we can see that "Linus and Lucy" is not a Christmas song, as Charlie Brown explicitly rejects it as appropriate music for a Christmas play. It is, rather than being Christmas music, presented as a distraction from the Christmas spirit, something that pulls us away from the proper celebration of the holiday rather than leading us toward it.

The above is only partially serious, but generally I'm with those who argue that it's more "Peanuts music" than "Christmas music." It shows up in many other Peanuts specials, including the Halloween and Thanksgiving shows, and has always signified just "Peanuts" to me.
  #139  
Old 12-01-2016, 12:47 PM
drad dog drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
I think we can only find the definitive answer to this question by looking to the most reliable source of all: Charlie Brown himself.

As you will recall from A Charlie Brown Christmas, our hero has been selected to direct the Christmas play. When he gets to the auditorium, he attempts to give his cast some basic instruction and orient them to his directing style, but soon finds that they are not paying attention. They are, instead, ignoring him in favor of dancing to the jazzy tune that we would come to know as "Linus and Lucy." He immediately orders "Stop the music," and valiantly attempts to get the production back on course.

After parts are assigned, he asks Schroeder to set the mood for the first scene. Schroeder's response is to strike up "Linus and Lucy" yet again. Charlie Brown instantly yells "Cut!", and rejects the music with a frustrated "No, no, no!" Later still, asked by Lucy to give an opinion of the play, he tells her "It's all wrong," because it lacks the proper mood.

Thus, we can see that "Linus and Lucy" is not a Christmas song, as Charlie Brown explicitly rejects it as appropriate music for a Christmas play. It is, rather than being Christmas music, presented as a distraction from the Christmas spirit, something that pulls us away from the proper celebration of the holiday rather than leading us toward it.

The above is only partially serious, but generally I'm with those who argue that it's more "Peanuts music" than "Christmas music." It shows up in many other Peanuts specials, including the Halloween and Thanksgiving shows, and has always signified just "Peanuts" to me.
Well yeah except the part about how you missed the whole point of the show.

The reveal at the end is the point. It was always christmas all along. Charlie Brown realizes that their celebrations are actually christmas. The same way that the Charlie Brown tree is revealed to be a great tree.

Charlies annoyance at the song doesn't mean it wasn't a christmas song. It was part of the drama of the special, which was "Charlie Brown Christmas".

But if you watched all the shows on a box set over and over it might have another meaning.

As a childhood fan I remember the specials got less and less good with each one. That is why I always think of L and L as Christmas music. The other uses were just exploitation. Can anyone give an example of the use of this song for any other dramatic purpose? The purpose was always to say "These are the kids from the Christmas special"
  #140  
Old 12-01-2016, 12:58 PM
drad dog drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldurson View Post
First of all, it's not heard only at Christmas time -- I used to play it on my radio show years ago at my college radio station. But even if you were correct, keep this in mind: The Dreidel Song IS actually heard primarily around Christmas time. And I've never heard anyone ever claim that that's a Christmas song because of its proximity to Christmas. Hell, the Classic rock station around here always does a countdown show around Thanksgiving, to their inevitable number one song, "Stairway to Heaven", making a big to-do about it, making fun of the fact that the number 2 song never ever comes close, and I've never heard that being called a Thanksgiving song because it is featured on a Thanksgiving radio show.

What makes something a holiday song is it being about the holiday or some holiday tradition.
Dreidel is a Hannukah song. What is your point about Dreidel? You played it?

Why didn't you ever tell us about your local thanksgiving countdown before? OK, I get it now. Stairway is a Thanksgiving song. Glad to have set that right. As long as it's a real local station, licensed by the FCC, that should do it.

L&L is an instrumental. So you are saying there can be no Christmas instrumental music?

The logic here is relentless. I can only lay down and murmur surrender.
  #141  
Old 12-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Valentine_Smith Valentine_Smith is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Yes, but personally I have an even stronger association between Skating and Christmas, mainly because around this time every year I'm always trying to play it on the piano. One of these years I'll actually get it up to speed.
Check out "Jitterbug Waltz" as a starting point, then work your way up LOL
  #142  
Old 12-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Quimby Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,016
The Simpsons also started with a Christmas special but no one associates their theme with Christmas.
  #143  
Old 12-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Trancephalic Trancephalic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The Simpsons also started with a Christmas special but no one associates their theme with Christmas.
I waas gonna post this, but then realized they started off as Tracey Ullman Show shorts.

Last edited by Trancephalic; 12-01-2016 at 09:32 PM.
  #144  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:00 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancephalic View Post
I waas gonna post this, but then realized they started off as Tracey Ullman Show shorts.
Sure, but I think the theme song originated with the Christmas special, right?

At any rate, it doesn't matter. For whatever reason, the Simpsons song is not associated with Christmas. "Linus and Lucy" is--about half the respondents here say it's a Christmas song so, as long as you're defining "Christmas song" as "song associated with Christmas" and not "song about Christmas," then it clearly is. Just like "My Favorite Things" has de facto become a Christmas/holiday song, despite the fact that it was never intended as such.

Look, Christmas isn't the first thing I think of when I hear "Linus and Lucy." Like I said, up until about a decade ago, I didn't even notice it was associated with Christmas, even though the Peanuts specials were the height of television excitement for me as a kid growing up in the 80s (I will forever remember the spinning "CBS Special" logo, which to me which had a Pavlovian association to me with Peanuts that I'd be upset when a non-Peanuts CBS special would follow it.) But, culturally, it is. If Christmas playlists started including the Simpsons theme song in their rotation, then it would have become a Christmas song to me.

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-01-2016 at 10:02 PM.
  #145  
Old 12-01-2016, 11:24 PM
drad dog drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4,402
I'm not seeing the comparisons with simpsons. They were a short feature, not a holiday thing. All this bringing in of comparisons it's just so pedantic and case-making.

L&L is christmas because that was the height of it's power as a song. They used it as an ambient theme in later, lesser works but never featured the song other than as an identifier, unlike in the original where it had a dramatic context.

Maybe it's the original viewers would have a tendency to say it's Christmas.

You would only think of it as not christmas if you were exposed to the overkill of Peanuts specials and advertising later on where the theme got overused and ruined.
  #146  
Old 12-02-2016, 03:43 PM
Hampshire Hampshire is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 10,515
But if it was a Christmas song why even attempt to put it into other Peanuts features? If it was a Christmas song wouldn't it feel completely out of place in Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin? They didn't use "Christmas Time is Here" or "Skating" in The Great Pumpkin because those ARE Christmas/winter songs.
It doesn't feel out of place because it's not a Christmas song. It's titled "Linus and Lucy" and may as well be titled "The Peanut's Theme".
Play the song for most people and ask them what's the first thing they think of. Most will say "Peanuts!" or "Charlie Brown!". I don't know many that will say "Christmas!"
  #147  
Old 12-02-2016, 04:08 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,273
While I do agree with you that it doesn't say "Christmas music" to me, how do you reconcile that with the fact that almost half the respondents here do consider it Christmas music?
  #148  
Old 12-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Trancephalic Trancephalic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 866
Japan considers KFC christmas food, doesn't make it so.
  #149  
Old 12-02-2016, 04:42 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 41,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancephalic View Post
Japan considers KFC christmas food, doesn't make it so.
If that is true, then it certainly does in the context of Japanese culture.
  #150  
Old 12-02-2016, 04:54 PM
markdash markdash is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,921
Voted no, with the following arguments:

-I consider it the Peanuts Theme, because it was used in many other works that have nothing to do with Christmas
-The music itself is not evocative of Christmas
-It does not have a Christmas-related title or lyrics

Of course, people will forge mental associations based on the circumstances of first listen, but prior to opening the thread I was quite puzzled how this could be remotely considered a Christmas song.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017