View Poll Results: Is the "Peanuts Theme" Christmas Music?
Yes 170 48.16%
No 183 51.84%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2016, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Maybe it's the original viewers would have a tendency to say it's Christmas.
Not me. I'm old enough that I watched the first broadcast, but like pulykamell, I never even noticed it being treated as a Christmas song--i.e., being included in Christmas muzak playlists--until the current century. It was the Peanuts theme. When you heard it in the opening of "It's the Great Pumpkin" it didn't make you think "Yay, Christmas!" or even "Yay, Halloween!" It made you think "Yay, Peanuts!"
Old 12-02-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
While I do agree with you that it doesn't say "Christmas music" to me, how do you reconcile that with the fact that almost half the respondents here do consider it Christmas music?
I think perhaps because that's been their only exposure to the song? I grew up in the 70s watching all the Peanuts specials and "Linus & Lucy" was the de facto theme played in all of them. I heard it in MetLife ads featuring the Peanuts year round as well as Dolly Madison ads I believe.
Maybe those thinking it's a Christmas song haven't heard it as often as the rest of us?
Old 12-02-2016, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Well I'll be damned. That is some Grateful Dead trivia that I never knew.
That is some Grateful Dead trivia that I don't want to know.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
Not me. I'm old enough that I watched the first broadcast, but like pulykamell, I never even noticed it being treated as a Christmas song--i.e., being included in Christmas muzak playlists--until the current century. It was the Peanuts theme. When you heard it in the opening of "It's the Great Pumpkin" it didn't make you think "Yay, Christmas!" or even "Yay, Halloween!" It made you think "Yay, Peanuts!"
Honestly, you know what I thought, as a target audience? that the theme was just being used to remind everyone that it was the peanuts gang and it wouldn't have a full airing that satisfied me as a fan. And I don''t think the use was any more than minimal in the other shows. Just enough to get by. And I remember being disappointed in that.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdash View Post
Voted no, with the following arguments:

-I consider it the Peanuts Theme, because it was used in many other works that have nothing to do with Christmas
-The music itself is not evocative of Christmas
-It does not have a Christmas-related title or lyrics

Of course, people will forge mental associations based on the circumstances of first listen, but prior to opening the thread I was quite puzzled how this could be remotely considered a Christmas song.
Can you cite major usage of the song other than CBC? How much was it actually in "Great Pumpkin"?

Last edited by drad dog; 12-02-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Can you cite major usage of the song other than CBC? How much was it actually in "Great Pumpkin"?
Well, the episode starts out with the "Linus and Lucy" theme, setting the mood.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quite a bit. It plays throughout the wordless (until the punch line) opening scene, so it's the only thing you hear for the first minute-and-a-half plus of the show. It recurs at least a couple of times in its normal form as well as in a slowed-down variation.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Here it is in "He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown"

Or "It Was a Short Summer, Charlie Brown.

Or "You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:40 PM

OK. It was identifiable for that era of shows. It was a signifier.

And it may have been generally applicable, but you can't say you have no idea why anyone would think it is a holiday song?

Holiday songs are what give people a holiday feeling. Where is the science in that?

Holiday is a marketing thing that is going to encompass your song in its maw. So you might as well recognize that. If there was a halloween holiday season then there would be an association with that but there's not and there isn't.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:05 PM

I love that this is getting so much discussion this year since it kind of landed with a thud last year and I almost didn't repost it.

Conversely, I think we ran out of stuff to say about Die Hard in that thread
Old 12-02-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
And it may have been generally applicable, but you can't say you have no idea why anyone would think it is a holiday song?
Yes!

Since literally everything Peanuts related not made in the 80s uses it (and it was used in the 80s, too, just not as consistently) - including, as has been mentioned several times in this thread, insurance commercials - it didn't originate in the Christmas special, and it wasn't used in a specifically holiday-related context in the special.

Absolutely nothing about it lends itself to being a holiday song.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Yes!

Since literally everything Peanuts related not made in the 80s uses it (and it was used in the 80s, too, just not as consistently) - including, as has been mentioned several times in this thread, insurance commercials - it didn't originate in the Christmas special, and it wasn't used in a specifically holiday-related context in the special.

Right, oh yeah, except for the whole reason why it became known as a great song, and for what associations were made by the quality of the work.

I hear it the same as sleigh Ride
or my favorite things.
or baby it's cold out side by Ray charles and betty carter.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Yes!

Hey wait a minute. Are you saying a holiday song can't be as happy as that?

Last edited by drad dog; 12-02-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The Simpsons also started with a Christmas special but no one associates their theme with Christmas.
Kind of ironic that it isn't, considering that it was written by an elfman...
Old 11-23-2017, 10:54 AM

As has become my own annual tradition, resurrecting this thread to see if there is any further discussion. I discovered after the fact it had become a Spotlight thread on the main page last year which I find great.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:28 PM

I am going in mid-Dec to a jazz concert of the "Charlie Brown Christmas" pieces and am pretty gosh darn excited