The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-18-2013, 05:47 PM

Did you shop at Dominick's? Where to now?

I always did my major stock-up shopping at Dominick's. They seemed to have a good balance between low prices and a large selection. Plus they were convenient. And I really liked the option to "pre-store" coupons on your Fresh Value Card or whatever they called it.

Alas, that ship has sailed. What are your recommendations to replace it? I never liked the Jewel for some reason. Whole Foods seems way overpriced, Aldi seems too grungy. Any suggestions? What are your plans?

Quo Vadis?

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 12-18-2013 at 05:48 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 12-18-2013, 06:49 PM

I work second shift and the only grocery open between work and home after midnight was Dominick's. There's a Jewel near work that's open til midnight, so I'll have to make do with that one until the old Dominick's gets sorted. I've heard it's sold, just not to who, and of course no idea if the new one will be a 24-hour or not. I sure hope so. I've heard good things about Mariano's, which I've heard for sure is going to be in the next-closest Dominick's to me. I can deal with them.

Whole Foods, for the basics from their 365 brand, is actually really reasonable. I would love it if my old Dominick's turned into a WF, even though I know for sure it'll close early and I really will have to change how I shop. I'll have to change my work schedule, or figure out an entirely different time on days off to do it. Makes me want to curl up in a corner.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

I can't remember the last time I set foot in Jewel or Dominick's. The vast bulk of our groceries come from Costco and Fresh Farms. We supplement with various neighborhood and specialty shops, and have just started checking out Door to Door Organics. If you're near one, Mariano's is worth checking out. Depends what your grocery shopping habits are.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
I work second shift and the only grocery open between work and home after midnight was Dominick's. There's a Jewel near work that's open til midnight, so I'll have to make do with that one until the old Dominick's gets sorted. I've heard it's sold, just not to who, and of course no idea if the new one will be a 24-hour or not. I sure hope so. I've heard good things about Mariano's, which I've heard for sure is going to be in the next-closest Dominick's to me. I can deal with them.

Whole Foods, for the basics from their 365 brand, is actually really reasonable. I would love it if my old Dominick's turned into a WF, even though I know for sure it'll close early and I really will have to change how I shop. I'll have to change my work schedule, or figure out an entirely different time on days off to do it. Makes me want to curl up in a corner.
IIRC you are in Edgewater/Andersonville like I am. The Dominick's at Sheridan and Foster is officially going to become a Mariano's. Rumors (in Crain's) are flying that the one at Broadway and Ardmore is going to become a Whole Foods but I'm not convinced that is true. There is a Jewel at Clark and Catalpa that is a 24 hour store so at least for now I will be utilizing that location as I also work later hours than most people do sometimes.

And Mariano's is great, way better than Dominick's in terms of quality and selection and great prices.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Chicago Savant

And have another look at Aldi—at least as a supplementary supplier. They've stepped up their game in the last three years or so. They're carrying several brand names now, and this time of year seem like a German specialty grocer, with all sorts of wonderful things you won't even find at Treasure Island.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
IIRC you are in Edgewater/Andersonville like I am. The Dominick's at Sheridan and Foster is officially going to become a Mariano's. Rumors (in Crain's) are flying that the one at Broadway and Ardmore is going to become a Whole Foods but I'm not convinced that is true. There is a Jewel at Clark and Catalpa that is a 24 hour store so at least for now I will be utilizing that location as I also work later hours than most people do sometimes.

And Mariano's is great, way better than Dominick's in terms of quality and selection and great prices.
I'm looking forward to checking out the Sheridan store when it's a Mariano's. I've heard the rumors about the Broadway store becoming a WF, too, and would be great for me (except for the hours) as the organic brands I buy from other stores are actually cheaper at WF, but like you, I'm not convinced and I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Since they're opening that Englewood store, though, now I don't know if the Edgewater demographics aren't right for WF.

Work is just off Broadway in Uptown, and home is just off Sheridan in RoPa, so the Jewel at Berwyn is the only convenient spot for me, as I used to just grab the Broadway bus to Dominick's after work and then either walk home or grab the next bus if my load was heavy. Now I have to either shop on a day off (when I usually get all errands done on work days so I don't have to leave the house), a big change for me, or get to work early enough to leave by 11pm so I can hit the Jewel before it closes.

None of it's ideal for me, but whatyagonnado? I'll try to remember about that Clark St Jewel. If nothing else, I can grab an iGo car for cheap after midnight once I get home, it's like $3 an hour!
Old 12-19-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
And have another look at Aldi—at least as a supplementary supplier. They've stepped up their game in the last three years or so. They're carrying several brand names now, and this time of year seem like a German specialty grocer, with all sorts of wonderful things you won't even find at Treasure Island.
There is one that's close to me, I've never been in it because their hours don't mesh with mine. Though now that I may have to change all that, I'll check it out. I'm off work the next couple days and might have a little time to pop in. I love specialty and imported European stuff!
Old 12-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

I've never been a big fan of either Dominick's or Jewel. They're only worth shopping at for sale items, otherwise, I find the produce selection (in particular) wanting and overpriced.

My everyday supermarket of choice is Pete's Fresh Market, but they're mostly on the south side of the city (although there's one in Oak Brook Terrace now.) Cermak Produce/Fresh Market is quite similar and I like them a lot, too. Tony's Finer Foods, Angelo Caputo's Fresh Markets, all those are in the same general ballpark. I like all of them.

When I want to go a little bit more upscale, Treasure Island, Mariano's, Brookhaven, and, of course, Whole Foods. But for every day shopping, one of the first four mentioned.

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-19-2013 at 12:19 AM..
Old 12-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I don't live in the Chicago area anymore, but we have Aldi's here and my wife does most of her shopping there. It used to turn me off but really the stuff she gets is fine and some of it is really good - German chocolates and cheeses and other unusual stuff. It's not Whole Foods, but it's a lot less expensive and certainly beats buying your groceries at Wal*Mart.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:54 AM

Mariano's, Fresh Farms, A&G, Harvesttime on Lawrence, Supermercado Morelia. The Mexican ace on Devon e of Clark is also good and they carry Sun Xien tofu.

Honestly the only thing I will miss from Dominick's is the Safeway Dulce de Leche ice cream. That stuff was dangerously tasty.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:30 AM

Dominick's was my place to go after Aldi, to get the stuff on my list Aldi didn't have.

Also Refreshe soda, which was the most consistently cheap generic soda I found.

Maybe I'll go to Maijer now.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:19 PM

I mainly went to Dominicks for produce or because I needed something fairly quick and it was a couple blocks away. Did the bulk of my shopping at Aldi's (though their produce is frequently terrible). Also his Dominick's for the stuff Aldi's didn't carry.

We have a Jewel not-too-far from us so I guess that's where to now. My wife had already been using them, liking them better than Dominick's. There's a Tony's right by there as well but the one time I went in there, I wasn't wowed. Nothing was bad, but the stock items were pricey and I didn't need the fancy items.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
There's a Tony's right by there as well but the one time I went in there, I wasn't wowed. Nothing was bad, but the stock items were pricey and I didn't need the fancy items.
Hmm...I wonder if the Tony's are different everywhere. The one I generally go to, in Bridgeview, is cheaper than Jewel's and Dominick's for most things and nothing in there would qualify as "fancy," either. It's a pretty middle-of-the-road market with a good selection of ethnic foods (Mexican and Polish, mostly.)

Aldi's for me is good for certain staples, especially baking goods. But as a general grocery store, there's just not enough stuff there, and the produce leaves much to be desired especially in terms of selection. I live literally a 2 minute walk from one and I'm lucky if I get there once a month, because it has very little that I need, and I can find a lot of the stuff cheaper elsewhere (once again, except for certain staples. Their prices on nuts are especially good.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-20-2013 at 02:20 PM..
Old 12-21-2013, 09:56 PM

It seems like most of you are meh. I LOVE my Dominick's. I'm going to miss it terribly. My pharmacist is moving to the closest Jewel,so I will follow him (20 years with the same guy doing my prescriptions) but I won't shop for more than a few odds and ends at Jewel. It reminds me of a Walmart, or what K-Mart would look like if K-Mart did food. There produce is okay,but their bakery and deli are just passable.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Caputo's will get the majority of my business with occasional stops at local Mexican markets and Ultra Foods. I check the online sales frequently and if I see any outstanding deals at Jewel I may stop in. A co-op store has been on the drawing board in my town and I'd be really excited to see it become a reality.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

My favorite was Valli Produce. Also liked Caputos and Butera.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:34 AM

I'm going to miss my Dominick's terribly. It's a block from a Jewel but that location has always been so difficult to get in and out of and was understaffed, overcrowded, and the aisles are really narrow and laid out (for lack of a better word) stupid. It has gotten a LITTLE bit better lately as they've put on more people and done some revamping so, as it will be the lesser of two (or more) evils, I'll probably end up there. I'm not happy about it. We have a Mariano's but I don't like it at all. The Aldi and Meijer nearest me are too far away, the Caputo's is a zoo. I love my Eurofresh, but only for certain things, and going to the butcher for meat is too expensive. So it looks like I'm stuck with Jewel.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:16 PM

Just took my first trip to the new Edgewater Mariano's and was very satisfied. It will be my regular store until the Whole Foods opens next year. When that happens, I'll be able to walk to the grocery store again. In the meantime, there's a fairly straight forward bus that gets me to Mariano's. I still have to sacrifice some time on a day off to do it, but it will work.

Anyone else have a new experience at a Mariano's?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

I was hoping for a Mariano's but I found out we're getting a Pete's Fresh Market which looks pretty nice as well.

From what I've heard people are generally very happy with the expansion of Mariano's
Old 04-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
I was hoping for a Mariano's but I found out we're getting a Pete's Fresh Market which looks pretty nice as well.

From what I've heard people are generally very happy with the expansion of Mariano's
I love my Pete's (I live less than two blocks from one--yeah, I have an Aldi, a Target, and a Pete's Market all within a three minutes' walk from my house.) That said, Mariano's--at least from the ones I've seen and the Pete's I've seen--are a bit fancier and have a better, more upscale selection of items. It depends on what you're looking for. I wouldn't be surprised if some Pete's are fancier than others, though. I've been to a couple and they seem to vary by location. Curious what the Oak Brook one is like.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

It's in Oakbrook Terrace actually (it's not too far from my folks).
It's nice. Very clean, good selection, nice produce, friendly staff. maybe a bit more expensive than Dominic's was but that's to be expected.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's in Oakbrook Terrace actually (it's not too far from my folks).
It's nice. Very clean, good selection, nice produce, friendly staff. maybe a bit more expensive than Dominic's was but that's to be expected.
Yeah, Oakbrook Terrace. That's the one I meant. Just off Roosevelt. All those Western Suburbs blur into one for me. Yeah, around here, Pete's is/was definitely cheaper than Jewel or Dominicks. You might find certain sale items cheaper at Jewel or Dominicks, but, for everyday items like fruits, vegetables, and poultry, Pete's is significantly cheaper.

Last edited by pulykamell; 04-24-2014 at 12:18 AM..
Old 04-24-2014, 10:52 AM

I have a couple of Mariano's around me - I don't really like them.

But I have found a new grocery store that I'm loving - Ultra Foods. I can't say enough nice thi9ngs about them! I go to the one in Prospect Heights - it is pretty close to me and the prices are awesome. I don't know where any other locations are, though.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

There's an Ultra by me and when stuff goes on sale it can be insanely cheap.
Plus it's the only place I can find un-smocked ham hocks for making Fläsklägg med rotmos
Old 04-25-2014, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm a grocery store junkie. I regularly patronize six or eight and enjoy recreational grocery shopping. That said, Jewel and the former Dominick's are not among these numbers.

Need something close to home? Butera.
Cottage cheese, jalapeno cheddar brats, avocados? Mariano's (Elston, Harwood Heights or Cumberland (former flagship Dominick's)).
Mexican goods and cheap meat? Tony's Finer Foods (Greenwood in Niles is my store, Elston is closer but I'd rather eat a live scorpion).
Fancy cheese or fine meats, Christmas Eve giftcards? Whole Foods, Sauganash.
Nuts or white cheddar in black shrinkwrap? Aldi (Foster & Pulaski or Lawrence & Harlem).
Polish soups, stews or salads, smoked sausage? Rich's Market (Foster & Harlem).
Seafood, Asian goods? Super HMart or Assi Market in Niles.
The gold standard, best store ever? Fresh Farms, Niles. Can't wait to get there tomorrow.

Quote:
...un-smocked ham hocks for making Fläsklägg med rotmos
Those photos are remarkably uniform!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

I'm guessing it's not a dish that gets a whole lot of dressing up, but boy-oh-boy is it tasty and comforting on a chilly evening!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
My everyday supermarket of choice is Pete's Fresh Market, but they're mostly on the south side of the city (although there's one in Oak Brook Terrace now.) Cermak Produce/Fresh Market is quite similar and I like them a lot, too. Tony's Finer Foods, Angelo Caputo's Fresh Markets, all those are in the same general ballpark. I like all of them.
The Pete's in Oakbrook Terrace is much like the Dominick's it replaced, overpriced and under-qualitied because Oakbrook Terrace people have begun to think they live in Oak Brook. Or Oak Brook people are the only ones who can afford to shop there and equate expensive with good. No competition for my Caputo's in Addison.

I haven't been to the Elmhurst Mariano's yet, but the Elmhurst Dominick's is becoming a Whole Foods, so I'll continue to not shop there. Even the big Mexican groceries can't match Caputo's produce, though it's nowhere to shop for non-ethnic (lots of ethnicities) staples. That's what Aldi is for. And wicked imported pumpernickel this time of year. Not much German stuff at Caputo's.

I keep forgetting about that jar of red cabbage in my cupboard. I know what I'm having for breakfast!
Old 04-26-2014, 01:39 AM

Whenever I'm in Chicago to visit the family, I goto Caputo's.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

Caputo's is a great store, the problem is they're few and far between.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Caputo's is a great store, the problem is they're few and far between.
I have one right down the street from me but it's always insanely crowded, the aisles are way too narrow, and they usually don't have the packaged goods I'm looking for. The last time I went there, it took over an hour for me to go in, purchase 3 pounds of Krakus Ham from their deli, and get out the door. Are all the Caputo's like this or is the Palatine one an anomoly?

We had a new store open in Mt. Prospect last Wednesday. We went to the grand opening for the $50 bag of free food they were giving away (never, ever again - I keep being reminded why I HATE CROWDS) and did a little shopping - it's called Fresh Thyme Farmer's Market. This is the first brand new store (no other locations) in this area to open so it was kind of a big deal. Their website says there are a bunch more opening later this year/into 2015 in and around Chicagoland. It was really small, and really expensive. Lots of produce, decent meat department, I couldn't tell about the bakery (too many people standing around), and a TON of organic stuff. Oh, and a small liquor department but with some expensive wines. But a gallon of Dean's Milk was $5 - and that I can get at Eurofresh down the street for $2.99. We won't be back. It appears to be almost a differently named and smaller Whole Foods.

In other news, we may get a Piggly Wiggly close by in one of the defunct Dominick's stores! It is only a rumor right now, but if it does come to pass, well, yay!!
Old 04-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

It is worth noting that Caputo's can refer to one of a couple different outfits.

There's a Caputo's Cheese Market in Melrose Park which is an arm of the Wiscon Corporation, 'A Cheese Management Corporation.'

There's also Joseph Caputo & Sons with stores in Des Plaines, Algonquin and Palatine. I hear that they are closing the (absurdly small) DP store and reopening a little bit east at the old Dominick's on Oakton and Lee which should offer quite a large space. I'm looking forward to this opening since it is fairly convenient to my evening commute.

And then there's Angelo Caputo's Fresh Market with stores in Addison, Bloomingdale, Elmwood Park, Hanover Park, Naperville, Plainfield and Carol Stream (coming soon?). Unfortunately, none of these locations are within my shopping radius.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:13 PM

It looks like it could be true - I may be getting a Piggly Wiggly! Right down the street!

I was wondering, does anyone else do any shopping at Meijer? We don't have one real close but my sister in law swears by it. I've gone a couple times but it only because something was on sale in their ad flyer (it wasn't even food, actually) - I was wondering how they stack up price wise? I don't think it'd be worth my while to make a a ten mile trip one way for what's comparable to stores that are closer unless there's something really great about it that I'm missing.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
I was wondering, does anyone else do any shopping at Meijer? We don't have one real close but my sister in law swears by it. I've gone a couple times but it only because something was on sale in their ad flyer (it wasn't even food, actually) - I was wondering how they stack up price wise? I don't think it'd be worth my while to make a a ten mile trip one way for what's comparable to stores that are closer unless there's something really great about it that I'm missing.
I used to shop at the Bolingbrook Meijers back when I lived in South Naperville and it was on my commuting route. It was a full service grocery and the pricing seemed a little better than Jewel or Dominicks. They also had a nice ethnic food aisle with a lot of Polish stuff but I don't know if that's still the case.

I wouldn't make a special trip to one but if you had one in your radius there's no reason to not make it your usual grocery destination. Of course, you don't so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:11 PM

I'm still waiting for the new Mariano's near me to open (Clybourn and Webster), but for now, still marking time at the Jewel.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:51 PM

Never shopped at Dominick's so their closing does not affect me. I shop mainly at Jewel with occasional trips to Walmart for canned/dry goods. An Angelo Caputo's is on my way home, but I can't stand the store. Their produce borders on out-of-date, the store smells like bad cheese, and the parking lot is horrific. I buy my meat at a local store in St. Charles. I used to be a Trader Joe's junkie but got tired of it. Two Meijer's within 8 miles of each other and I hate that store too, although their produce is the best and they are the only store that carries a few items I like, so that's a stop I'll do only on my way to work at 7am.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I'm still waiting for the new Mariano's near me to open (Clybourn and Webster), but for now, still marking time at the Jewel.
I raved - RAVED - about Mariano's when it opened near me (Western and Belmont) as it really was phenomenal at the time. I'm sorry to say it's slipped dramatically in the last few months. Prices have risen and service has fallen, and they suddenly have half bare shelves - not in the "too many customers want our awesome stuff" sense, but the "we don't get a delivery until Tuesday" sense. I fear either a bad manager has taken over, or Mariano's is great at Grand Openings.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:24 AM

Not a Chicagoan but I happened to be an assistant on an investment team that lent Dominick's some money in the early 90s. Dominick and family had bought back the company when the parent began to want to cut corners. They were running a tight ship and the stores we visited were spotless. Sadly, Dominick died a few years later and the children decided to seek a new owner.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:13 AM

Growing up it was Piggly Wiggly. Then Jewel, when my sister got her first job there. We then moved and shopped at Dominick's, and now that's down, it's Costco.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
The Strack and Van Til is just a little north and worth checking out. I walked around the store this afternoon and it seems it is better than I remembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
I raved - RAVED - about Mariano's when it opened near me (Western and Belmont) as it really was phenomenal at the time.
I can get behind this sentiment, particularly in the produce department. How do you run out of cilantro?!? I wouldn't have said anything except the cashier asked whether I'd found everything alright. I mentioned that they were out of cilantro and she just sort of shrugged and apologized.
And last time I wanted a couple serrano peppers, they were shriveled and somehow simultaneously dried out and mushy. Zucchini is sort of hit or miss. However, avocados are pretty consistently good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
The Mexican ace on Devon e of Clark is also good and they carry Sun Xien tofu.
This tofu is also at Fresh Farms.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
The
I can get behind this sentiment, particularly in the produce department. How do you run out of cilantro?!?
It was mushrooms for me. White button mushrooms. Oh, but I could (and did) get meitake, shitaake, enoki, dried morels, etc. But I didn't want flavor, darn it, I wanted the texture of pain old boring white mushrooms for my sherried chicken!

Marianos is also my go to place for fresh flowers. But lately it's been barren in there. And the antipathy is grating. It's a far cry from the first month when the store opened and three employees and a manager eagerly asked me what this "naan" thing was that I was looking for and then had it on the shelf three days later.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
It was mushrooms for me. White button mushrooms. Oh, but I could (and did) get meitake, shitaake, enoki, dried morels, etc. But I didn't want flavor, darn it, I wanted the texture of pain old boring white mushrooms for my sherried chicken!

Marianos is also my go to place for fresh flowers. But lately it's been barren in there. And the antipathy is grating. It's a far cry from the first month when the store opened and three employees and a manager eagerly asked me what this "naan" thing was that I was looking for and then had it on the shelf three days later.
Some stores are really good at "grand openings" - then the regular day to day openings not so much.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:03 PM

I'll be interested to see how the Edgewater store shakes out. So far, so good, but it's only been a couple weeks. It's small but packed well, the shelves seem higher than normal, adding an extra shelf that's a bit high for 5'3" me on top, but OK as long as they keep things fronted through the day. I'll likely just keep shopping there anyway, since it's the most convenient for me. It will tide me over until the Whole Foods I can walk to opens. Then I'll still likely hit that Mariano's a couple times a month.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
... It will tide me over until the Whole Foods I can walk to opens ...
Have you tried "True Nature Foods"? (6034 N. Broadway)

http://www.truenaturefoods.com/
Old 05-05-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeAudrey View Post
Have you tried "True Nature Foods"? (6034 N. Broadway)

http://www.truenaturefoods.com/
I have! There are a couple things I get there, but it's a small store and their hours are even harder for me to get to than the 10pm of Mariano's or Devon Market. I stop in more often at Newleaf, they're almost next door and I can stop in there to grab stuff on the way to work, or while I'm doing laundry on a Sunday. Eh, it's really the hours I keep that is the problem, I used to do the majority of my shopping after midnight at Dominick's, so easy to just stop in after work. I've already changed my hours a little so I can get to the Berwyn Jewel before midnight. I might just work on changing them a little more so I can get to the stores before 10pm. It's so much nicer than having to go on a day off!