The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-25-2013, 05:13 AM
BANNED

It Fell Off The Back Of A Truck!

I knew Chicago back in the .... uh ...... well, a long time ago. There was a place in the 50's - 60's where you could find most things, clothes etc. "cheaply" because you could barter for the goods and people used to say they were "stolen goods". I bought a black, leather jacket there. They were as popular as chrome and white-wall tyres. Well, I've been trying to remember that place, but I can't. I think it was called "XXX" Street - you know like Rush Street.

Does anyone know what it was called? Is it still there?
Advertisements  
Old 12-25-2013, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

You are soliciting for stolen goods on the SDMB.

The Mods frown on criminal endeavors.

I urge all my fellows Dopers to refrain from proving you with any information.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

No, hon, he's talking about an actual place, the Maxwell Street Market, which was sort of a giant street-side flea market. Yes, there were hot goods there, just as at a lot of flea market type places. Some legit, too, but it had a reputation.

It is sort of still there, except it was forcibly moved some time ago to a nearby location and it's watched a lot more closely by the authorities these days. You can still get deals there, but much less stuff that "fell of the back of a truck". Old timers whine the prices are as good but yeah, well, that happens when you have to actually buy your wares you're selling.

So... legit in that it was and still is a market.

Last edited by Broomstick; 12-25-2013 at 07:17 AM..
Old 12-25-2013, 08:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post

So you think I will go all the way from Sweden to buy a stolen whats-it? Ho ho! The plane ticket itself would probably be worth more than anything I could find there, even if I were going to the States. I haven't been to Chicago in 40 years. I'm sure I can get a replacement leather jacket in Turkey or Tunisia next time I'm down there.

Who said the place in Chicago really sold stolen goods anyway?
Old 12-25-2013, 08:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
No, hon, he's talking about an actual place, the Maxwell Street Market, which was sort of a giant street-side flea market. Yes, there were hot goods there, just as at a lot of flea market type places. Some legit, too, but it had a reputation.

It is sort of still there, except it was forcibly moved some time ago to a nearby location and it's watched a lot more closely by the authorities these days. You can still get deals there, but much less stuff that "fell of the back of a truck". Old timers whine the prices are as good but yeah, well, that happens when you have to actually buy your wares you're selling.

So... legit in that it was and still is a market.
Yes! Maxwell Street! That's it! Thank you! I've been trying to think of the name of that place for 3 days now. Nostalgia has got the best of me lately. Italian sausage, Italian beef, oooooooo! Parky's hot tamales, mmmmmm! Riverview, wowwwww! The Hungry Eye in Old Town. hehehehe!

So, they really did sell goods off the back of trucks, eh! Chicago, what a place!

DISCLAIMER. I own no stocks or interest in any of the foods I've mentioned above and any similarities to establishments (past and/or present) are merely intentional by way coercion at the beckoning of my stomach and not in anyway connected with voluntary soliciting or criminal activity. Hey I'm sick, I need help!
Old 12-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga Marole View Post
So, they really did sell goods off the back of trucks, eh! Chicago, what a place!
Also "fell off a passing train", Maxwell street being fairly near some of the train and switching yards.

Flea markets are not an uncommon place for people to attempt to unload stolen goods. The one about two blocks down the road from me usually has a vendor or two arrested every couple of months for doing exactly that... but the majority of them are legit, at least in the sense of their goods being legally obtained. They might be slightly misrepresented or overpriced or the like... or they might be actual good deals. For some people, the slightly shady aspect is part of the appeal, it lets them feel slightly naughty or something.

In particular, the auto parts at Maxwell street had a reputation for being illicit.

Maxwell Street Market also featured Chicago Blues. Greats such as Muddy Waters, Bo Diddly, and others all played there at one time or another.

Oh, and as the OP noted, lots of what's now called "street food", low priced eateries, and ethnic eating. Low priced and very tasty.

The New Maxwell Street Market is a lot less shady, but many also think it lacks a lot of the original character. Personally, I also think the City of Chicago is whitewashing the history of the original a bit in trying to appeal to tourists. The original MSM was by and for the people of the city, particularly the poor and disadvantaged, it was not a tourist attraction though lots of tourists went there and they were certainly welcome. (So was their money!)

Last edited by Broomstick; 12-25-2013 at 09:03 AM..
Old 12-25-2013, 09:20 AM

If you are contemplating a trip, be aware that Riverview is gone, too.

And although the Maxwell Street Market is no longer on Maxwell Street, you can still get a good Maxwell Street Polish at many fine establishments across the city.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
For some people, the slightly shady aspect is part of the appeal, it lets them feel slightly naughty or something.
I think it's just that anything that is illegal is assumed to be a good deal, cutting out the front man, the middle man, and the tax man.

Quote:
Maxwell Street Market also featured Chicago Blues. Greats such as Muddy Waters, Bo Diddly, and others all played there at one time or another.
Oh, that you should mention Bo Diddly! If the secret police ever hack into my internet connection-history they'll think I've lost my mind for every time that I've been here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeZHB3ozglQ It's the link I've clicked more than any other. Note the bandy-leg choo-choo he churnes out ...... and the moves of that trio of women is something you won't find in any dictionary!

I take it you still live in Chicago or there-a-bouts?
Old 12-25-2013, 10:25 AM

I go to Maxwell St Market frequently but never get the polish there. Now the authentic home made Mexican food is where it's at.

I'm talking delicious consommé de chivo, huaraches, tacos of every stripe from steak to mushroom to pork skin and eyeball!

In the summer you can even get amazing shrimp and octopus cocktail
Old 12-25-2013, 10:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
If you are contemplating a trip, be aware that Riverview is gone, too.

And although the Maxwell Street Market is no longer on Maxwell Street, you can still get a good Maxwell Street Polish at many fine establishments across the city.
Riverside is gone? Oh, the pain! What about Old Town, Rush Street ..... 9th. street beach? And Lincoln Park Zoo - now that SHOULD be shut down. Somebody also told me that Dick Biondi is still kicking, but that can't be true.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I go to Maxwell St Market frequently but never get the polish there. Now the authentic home made Mexican food is where it's at.

I'm talking delicious consommé de chivo, huaraches, tacos of every stripe from steak to mushroom to pork skin and eyeball!

In the summer you can even get amazing shrimp and octopus cocktail
OK Mike, that's enough. Do you not realize that I'm a gazillion miles away from Chicago? What are you trying to do to me?
Old 12-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Bo Diddly in Trading Places. https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Old 12-25-2013, 10:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by randompattern View Post
"This video is not available"

Am I allowed to say "shit" on this forum?
Old 12-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Riverside is gone? Oh, the pain!
Yes, gone for quite awhile now. People still mourn...

Quote:
What about Old Town, Rush Street ..... 9th. street beach?
Still there, of course, as geographical locations. Old Town got gentrified and is now more upscale, a lot of the characters from 20-30 years ago moved out when prices went up. Rush Street is still a spot for night life, though, not a lot changed.

Quote:
And Lincoln Park Zoo - now that SHOULD be shut down.
It has changed a LOT, and much of the exhibit space upgraded to more modern standards (not all of it, but a lot of it). You might like it better, now. Fewer cages and bars, more natural settings wherever possible.

Quote:
Somebody also told me that Dick Biondi is still kicking, but that can't be true.
Yep, still on the air on WLS.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
"This video is not available"

Hmmm it worked when I tried it.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hell, yes.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Rush Street is still a spot for night life, though, not a lot changed.
I don't suppose Flip Wilson is still doing his Geraldine routine there, eh?

Quote:
It has changed a LOT, and much of the exhibit space upgraded to more modern standards (not all of it, but a lot of it). You might like it better, now. Fewer cages and bars, more natural settings wherever possible.
That's good news though I don't how it can continue to compete with Brookfield .... unless that is closed down?

Quote:
Yep, still on the air on WLS.
No! It can't be true! You're joking! He must be 173 years old by now.

Last edited by Riga Marole; 12-25-2013 at 11:01 AM..
Old 12-25-2013, 11:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by randompattern View Post
Hmmm it worked when I tried it.
Maybe it's not allowed in Sweden due to some copy-right.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Hell, yes.
Well I'll be ..... uh .... darn!
Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't suppose Flip Wilson is still doing his Geraldine routine there, eh?
Well... seeing as Flip has passed away that would be just a bit difficult...

Quote:
That's good news though I don't how it can continue to compete with Brookfield .... unless that is closed down?
Brookfield and Lincoln Park tend to specialize differently so they aren't in the same sort of direct competition you might think. Also, Lincoln Park is still free admission, Brookfield costs money to get in the door.

While they're both zoos they have slightly different target audiences.

Quote:
No! It can't be true! You're joking! He must be 173 years old by now.
He only looks that old.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Was it Royko or was it John R. Powers who told the story of a guy in his neighborhood who always had stuff for sale that fell off the back of a truck or whatever. The cops finally raided one of his sales and everyone discovered he actually had bought everything legitimately and had receipts. Then no one would ever do business with him again.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Well... seeing as Flip has passed away that would be just a bit difficult...
Couldn't he at least make a cameo appearance in some Will Smith, MIB film - just for the benefit of his most trusted fans?

Quote:
Also, Lincoln Park is still free admission ....
I'm impressed!

Quote:
He only looks that old.
The wild Itralian.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Was it Royko or was it John R. Powers who told the story of a guy in his neighborhood who always had stuff for sale that fell off the back of a truck or whatever. The cops finally raided one of his sales and everyone discovered he actually had bought everything legitimately and had receipts. Then no one would ever do business with him again.

After his death many of Johnny Cash's fans were dismayed to find out that the star never spent a day of his life behind bars. If they knew that beforehand .......... he might not have sold so well. Sad to think of it.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Untrue - Cash actually was locked up at least once for carrying drugs, but was never convicted. More like the way cops might lock someone drunk up until they sobered up. Basically, he was in a holding cell for a brief time. Cash was never convicted on drug charges and certainly never did hard time.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Untrue - Cash actually was locked up at least once for carrying drugs, but was never convicted. More like the way cops might lock someone drunk up until they sobered up. Basically, he was in a holding cell for a brief time. Cash was never convicted on drug charges and certainly never did hard time.
Behind behind bars, I was thinking of prison ... you know Folsom and the Orange Blossom Special and killing a man in Reno just to watch him die ...... I don't care if I do die do die do.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Ironically, these days "prison" is less likely to have bars than "jail" - though I'm told the distinction is largely American and other nations don't have such. Then again, I try to stay out of such facilities myself, regardless of what they're called.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Ironically, these days "prison" is less likely to have bars than "jail" - though I'm told the distinction is largely American and other nations don't have such. Then again, I try to stay out of such facilities myself, regardless of what they're called.
I don't think our prisons have bars either ...... they'd get in the way of the wide screen TV, 3-piece sofa, refrigerator, stand-up freezer, walk-in closet, and individual 24-hour buffet.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Oh, that you should mention Bo Diddly! If the secret police ever hack into my internet connection-history they'll think I've lost my mind for every time that I've been here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeZHB3ozglQ It's the link I've clicked more than any other. Note the bandy-leg choo-choo he churnes out ...... and the moves of that trio of women is something you won't find in any dictionary!
Great video clip! Thanks! Here's a little bit of Wikipedia history I just found about that Ed Sullivan performance. The clip got me to poke around a bit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Didd...950s_and_1960s

It's weird for me to see him dance around, and perform without his square guitars. I've mostly seen clips of him performing at a more advanced age, and weight.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Back in the '70s the Canon warehouse put by O'Hare got hit. Sometime after a co-worker offered me a deal on a Canon camera. I asked, "Would it be okay to send in the warranty card?"

"Probably not."

Wasn't THAT good a deal, anyway.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
Great video clip! Thanks! Here's a little bit of Wikipedia history I just found about that Ed Sullivan performance. The clip got me to poke around a bit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Didd...950s_and_1960s

It's weird for me to see him dance around, and perform without his square guitars. I've mostly seen clips of him performing at a more advanced age, and weight.
Yeah, I really love that bandy-leg thing and the way he shuffles forward on the stage in that video! Much more powerful than James Brown, Jackie Wilson, Elvis Presley or even Sam and Dave. No, I'm not going to compare him with Chuck Berry, though - that would be sacrilegious!

I've seen lots of these all over Africa but I never knew they were called a diddley bow untill I read your link! Thank you for posting it! http://www.thedailypage.com/media/20...nBoyGuitar.jpg

As much as I love the clip I linked, I'm a bit dismayed with a couple of things. First, those girls in the audience must be a stock visual film because I've seen the exact same one on some other concert with a different performer. Secondly, the screaming girls in the background is probably a paste-in audio from a Beatles or Rolling Stones concert. Those TV studio technicians just couldn't leave a good thing alone!
Old 12-26-2013, 12:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Back in the '70s the Canon warehouse put by O'Hare got hit. Sometime after a co-worker offered me a deal on a Canon camera. I asked, "Would it be okay to send in the warranty card?"

"Probably not."

Wasn't THAT good a deal, anyway.
I take it you didn't buy the thing, eh?

I don't mind buying second hand (or things from uncertain origins if the price is right) but buying second hand electrical items is just asking for disappointment.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah, I really love that bandy-leg thing and the way he shuffles forward on the stage in that video!
.... and the sultry slide moves those ladies do at about 5:00 is the stuff wet dreams are made of!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post

MODERATOR STEPPING IN:
That's not how I read that post at all. Flea markets often have word-of-mouth such as "dropped of a truck," it doesn't make it true. And even if it is, the market he was asking about is long gone.

While we appreciate any reports on potentially inappropriate posts, it's better if you just hit the REPORT button (little ! in red triangle in upper right corner) rather than make a public declaration. If this HAD in fact been a solicitation for stolen goods, it would have been "disappeared" pretty quickly, so no need to urge people not to post, either.

Happy Boxing Day to all. And the discussion does seem to have gone a li'l far afield?
Old 12-26-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C K Dexter Haven View Post
MODERATOR STEPPING IN:
That's not how I read that post at all. Flea markets often have word-of-mouth such as "dropped of a truck," it doesn't make it true. And even if it is, the market he was asking about is long gone.
The whole "fell off a truck" thing is often used to sell cheap, crappy but totally legit stuff, like stereo speakers.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Per Wikipedia:

Quote:
Johnny Cash was arrested for public drunkenness (though he described it as being picked up for picking flowers) in Starkville [Mississippi] and held overnight at the city jail on May 11, 1965, which was the inspiration for his song "Starkville City Jail."
Old 12-27-2013, 12:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
The whole "fell off a truck" thing is often used to sell cheap, crappy but totally legit stuff, like stereo speakers.

I think we need to go back to basis on this subject, if we’re to make any resolution.

An item that has fallen off the back of a truck is fair booty. If it is lying on the ground with no indication of its owner, then it comes within the law known as finders keepers, losers weepers.

On the other hand, if it’s an item that has "fallen off the back of truck" then it is clearly merchandise acquired by illegal means.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:06 PM

FWIW, there is a good documentary about the Maxwell Street culture called And This Is Free. It's streaming on Netflix, or at least it used to be. Worth checking out.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBlues View Post
FWIW, there is a good documentary about the Maxwell Street culture called And This Is Free. It's streaming on Netflix, or at least it used to be. Worth checking out.
It's not on Youtube anyway. Have you see it yourself?
Old 12-27-2013, 03:24 PM

My wife's Russian immigrant grandparents lived in the Maxwell Street area, on 14th, and had a little restaurant from, say, 1914-`1927. They sold solid cheap food, soup and black bread, no booze, etc., but might have had a card game going in back....Papa was always trying to get Mama to give him the hidden cash she kept putting away so he could buy into the game, but she didn't, and, the story is, they had enough saved to buy a house on w. 42nd st near Archer in the late 20's. That's where I went to visit my college girlfriend in the early '60's, and Mama was still a vigorous older lady who insisted, after she saw me, that I should have a tumbler of whiskey. I had been coached, so I refused politely the first three times and finally accepted a shot. Great lady, wonderful family.

I did know a man, once, in Indiana, who not only sold goods that came out of the back of a truck, he drove the stolen car that was rigged with a flasher to stop the trucker on rte 6 for a safety stop. The driver went into the trunk of the car, the truck went to a local isolated barn where it was emptied. The next night, it would be driven out to the local truck stop and dropped in the yard. No one was ever hurt. The driver in the trunk was rescued when someone would call in an anonymous tip.

They knocked off 5 or 6 trucks and sold tons of clothes and electronics before they got tracked and raided, most of the real criminals slipped away and off to somewhere safe until the shouting died down. The property owner, who didn't know a damned thing about the use of the barn, took the biggest fall.

Last edited by crucible; 12-27-2013 at 03:26 PM..
Old 12-27-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
It's not on Youtube anyway. Have you see it yourself?
Yes, off Netflix. Here is the trailer:

http://vimeo.com/33013238
Old 12-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't mind buying second hand (or things from uncertain origins if the price is right) but buying second hand electrical items is just asking for disappointment.
It wasn't second-hand, in the traditional sense. It was brand new, with the role of the wholesaler taken by the Chicago Outfit. Uncle Carmie's wife kept him on the straight and narrow as best she could, not allowing his cousin, Wee Willie, into her house, but their kids got into the family business as crooked cops.
Quote:
An item that has fallen off the back of a truck is fair booty. If it is lying on the ground with no indication of its owner, then it comes within the law known as finders keepers, losers weepers.
I think in maritime law that would make it "flotsam," with the same legal status but one which sounds more adult.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucible View Post
My wife's Russian immigrant grandparents lived in the Maxwell Street area, on 14th, and had a little restaurant from, say, 1914-`1927. They sold solid cheap food, soup and black bread, no booze, etc., but might have had a card game going in back....Papa was always trying to get Mama to give him the hidden cash she kept putting away so he could buy into the game, but she didn't, and, the story is, they had enough saved to buy a house on w. 42nd st near Archer in the late 20's. That's where I went to visit my college girlfriend in the early '60's, and Mama was still a vigorous older lady who insisted, after she saw me, that I should have a tumbler of whiskey. I had been coached, so I refused politely the first three times and finally accepted a shot. Great lady, wonderful family.

I did know a man, once, in Indiana, who not only sold goods that came out of the back of a truck, he drove the stolen car that was rigged with a flasher to stop the trucker on rte 6 for a safety stop. The driver went into the trunk of the car, the truck went to a local isolated barn where it was emptied. The next night, it would be driven out to the local truck stop and dropped in the yard. No one was ever hurt. The driver in the trunk was rescued when someone would call in an anonymous tip.

They knocked off 5 or 6 trucks and sold tons of clothes and electronics before they got tracked and raided, most of the real criminals slipped away and off to somewhere safe until the shouting died down. The property owner, who didn't know a damned thing about the use of the barn, took the biggest fall.
A beautiful story! .... the first part anyway. I know the discomfort of the Slavik offer of drink - I met my wife in her home town in Slovakia. Whenever we go back to visit I have that dreaded welcome when I have no choice but to drink "just one" slivovica, then the mandatory second one "for the other leg"! And now that you've allready been tricked into drinking two, here's another ... and another .... and .... I love Slovaks but .......
Old 12-28-2013, 01:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBlues View Post
Yes, off Netflix. Here is the trailer:

http://vimeo.com/33013238
Wow! I'd love to see the whole thing! You know, I forgot about the guys grabbing your arm and "forcing" you to buy something you don't really want. It's what I really hate about India and West Africa.

OK. So I don't know very much about Netfix. Is it a pay-first thing or free like YouTube?
Old 12-28-2013, 01:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It wasn't second-hand, in the traditional sense. It was brand new, with the role of the wholesaler taken by the Chicago Outfit. Uncle Carmie's wife kept him on the straight and narrow as best she could, not allowing his cousin, Wee Willie, into her house, but their kids got into the family business as crooked cops.
Jesus! You guys have some really good stories! There should be a thread dedicated to personal stories on the forum.

Quote:
I think in maritime law that would make it "flotsam," with the same legal status but one which sounds more adult.
I prefer using the catch-all expression "Force Majeure".