Old 09-29-2014, 01:15 PM

Since this thread got revived I will post this link about a song in a commercial that I hate that uses this singing style.
http://tvcommercialssongs.com/fancy-...-served-daily/

The most annoying thing about it is that it's a commercial so it plays constantly, although I admit I am seeing less of it lately. It's not so much the breathiness but the mispronounciation of words that drives me nuts. Here's the lyrics:

Quote:
I must confess when I wear this dress
I feel like dancing the whole night with you
‘Cause you are the one I could see having fun with
Not just for the night but for the rest of my life
Doo doo doo…
On "confess" and "this" she stretches out the "s" sounds so it sounds like she's a singing snake.
Then "dress" which normally rhymes with "confess" is pronounced "drey-ess".
"With you" is more like "wit-oo"
And the "of" in "rest of my life" is more like "o" and then "life" is drawn out.

Also, I just feel like the song is a weird choice for a cat food commercial.
Advertisements  
Old 09-29-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch8 View Post
A perfect example: the host's 5th-favorite cover of 2013 was a cover of Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" by Daughter. Listen to the bridge (starting about 0:31 or 0:33 in each version). The cover artist makes no attempt whatsoever to sing "we've...come too far...to give up...who we are" with more than one note. It completely destroys the spirit of the song.
No joke about that being a perfect example. It's so over the top as to be indistinguishable from parody.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
I hate this style of singing. I call it the "I'm just a girl" voice. Makes me nuts.
Ok, now I know exactly what you mean. (I refused to listen to any of the clips because, well...)

I can't decide if this annoys me more or less than the mini-divas going "whoh-oooh-oh-oh-ooaaaah-oh" in their songs. Also, "I'm so Fancy", because it's stupid and an earworm.

Oops, sorry. Back to the Breathy Sad Girls.

You know, as a legit asthmatic who took vocal lessons to try to not sound breathy, those breathy chicks annoy the crap out of me.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch8 View Post
A perfect example: the host's 5th-favorite cover of 2013 was a cover of Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" by Daughter.
That version of the song makes me want to throw myself into a well.

She made "Get Lucky" depressing, which is quite a feat.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
Very annoying. She's on my list. (Not the good one.)
You have a good list?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:50 PM
BANNED

The style has deep roots. You could say Barbara Mason and Julie Driscoll were predecessors, though neither leaned on this trick exclusively.

Listen to Dusty Springfield demonstrate how to sing like a sad girl but also like a real singer.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:35 AM

I dunno, I don't love this singing style, but it's almost a relief coming on the heels of all the melisma girls. What I want to know is how Kat Edmonson got ahold of the dress my gandmother gave me for Christmas in 1966?

I cried for a week.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashbul View Post
The style has deep roots. You could say Barbara Mason and Julie Driscoll were predecessors, though neither leaned on this trick exclusively.
I see what you;re getting at, but I would never describe these women as singing like Sad Breathy Girls.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:48 AM

Wait... does Suzanne Vega also count? Because I like Suzanne Vega.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
I hate this style of singing. I call it the "I'm just a girl" voice. Makes me nuts.
I will call it this from now on. Thanks!

I used to listen to ABC Radio National (Australia) every morning, loved everything about it, but the "musical interludes" exclusively became "I'm just a girl" type songs. It's as though they were seeking out the most bland, inoffensive and generic music for people who don't really like music, but still attempting to be hip in some way.

I started dreading when Fran Kelly would introduce a song. Sometimes it would even be a boy singing. Always with the lone guitar, or even worse, a ukelele. Eventually I switched to News Radio - no music at all.

And to banks and insurance companies, please stop using these songs to make you seem all floaty and whimsical. It's so irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashbul View Post
The style has deep roots. You could say
Listen to Dusty Springfield demonstrate how to sing like a sad girl but also like a real singer.
I don't think this is really the genre - this is a beautiful sad song by a top singer , with violins and piano.

Thank you OP, for giving me this chance to vent.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:34 PM

I liked this style the first time I heard it back in the late 1990's when I saw Erin McKeown live. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmAde0kLYVs
Now I hear so many women sing like this that I can't tell them apart and it drives me batshit nuts. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"-Diderot
Old 10-22-2014, 12:01 AM

Just listen to this travesty: https://soundcloud.com/musings-2/hel...ith-ally-subak

It shouldn't be legal to do this to the Beatles.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephantfarts View Post
Just listen to this travesty: https://soundcloud.com/musings-2/hel...ith-ally-subak

That's so bad, it's a parody, not a cover version.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:19 AM

Yeah it really would be perfect parody of this style of singing, but unfortunately it has been made unironically. I heard it and it was last straw for me, prompting me to Google "indie girl singing," which led me here. Had to share.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:34 PM

Ha ha, yes, Elephantfarts. Share the hate!
Old 10-27-2014, 08:55 PM

Too funny

I also got to this forum via a google search - a search for "annoying style of singing" got me to this thread, and it was exactly what I was trying to figure out! I think I've sort of noticed it for years, but tonight my wife is listening to "the voice" and hearing one of the contestants made it click. I too associate it with Grey's Anatomy. Not only does that show feature these kinds of singers, the contrived writing seems a good match with this affected singing style.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:00 PM

I absolutely love that people share my hate. I especially love that people are irritated enough to Google "what the hell is this annoying shit called anyway?" Makes my smile

People here have (unnecessary) attitude about bumping old threads, but every time I see this one bumped, I think with glee "YES! Another hater."
Old 10-28-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:

That is an obscene profanation of a piece of actual music.

And of course there's a ukelele involved.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
the weird Midwestern diphthong thing Armstrong popularized.
Wait, what? Green Day started in Berkeley CA, and Armstrong's vocals sound very much urban-Californian to me (though a different strain than Moon Zappa's older LA take). A slacker-California accent. What here is "midwestern"?
Old 10-28-2014, 11:36 PM

I can see "waify" used to describe this vocal style. It strikes me that they're not belting a song out, they're singing at a speaking volume and letting the microphone do the work, which may not be a wonderful thing. But on the other hand, the vocals sound clean, they're not over processed or auto-tuned or compressed. You'll never hear Britney Spears singing into a clean mic.

I'm not crazy about the popping up a 5th or so in the middle of a measure for one note and then dropping back down to where they were before, but I guess that's just the style.

Last edited by Ranger Jeff; 10-28-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:

My head just exploded from the awfulness.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
My head just exploded from the awfulness.
Slowly rocking the volume pot on the lead singer's mike for a lousy tremolo effect? Didn't Tommy James and the Shondells teach everyone about tremolo on lead vocals?
Old 02-25-2015, 02:55 PM

Holy shit. I'm so glad people are noticing this fucking coy, misophonia-inducing STD of a vocal style. I started picking up on it about 7 years ago. My girlfriend and I call it the "sick cat" voice. The "Help" cover on soundcloud might be the best (worst) example I've ever heard, so props to whoever found that.

It kind of gained steam via Cat Power and (to a lesser degree) Erin McKeown, who've been mentioned, and fucking Colin Meloy from the Decemberists. The worst offenders I've found are Laura Gibson, Keaton Henson and Lorde. Lorde is a little different from the breathy, wispy style we're mostly talking about, but she does a lot of the same ass-raping of vowels, and it has nothing to do with being Australian.

It drives me insane to see shit like that Get Lucky cover (posted above) getting widespread acclaim. I'm thinking "NOBODY THINKS THIS STYLE IS COMPLETE BULLSHIT OR EVEN NOTICES THE TREND?"

I know I'm late to the party, but I have a few names to contribute.

Colin Meloy - Crane Wife 2
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes - Mother
Goldbloc feat. Solei - Days Are Dreaming
Kate Davis & Postmodern Jukebox - All About That (Upright) Bass
Keaton Henson - To Your Health
Laura Gibson - La Grande
Laura Gibson - Spirited
Lorde - Team
Sylvan Esso - Coffee (great music, but the voice gets to me)

I am king hater of this nasty shit. I could get cancer of the ear canal just thinking about it. Anyone is welcome to hit me back with more hate. If you despise it as much as I do, let's be friends - www.facebook.com/shuckslbj
Old 02-25-2015, 07:25 PM

I kinda hate to say this, because I like both of these singers, but you can hear early iterations of this style in Joni Mitchell and Suzanne Vega. Obviously both of these ladies could actually sing, but they both could and did use a breathy delivery for effect in a fair amount of their output.

So for my two cents on the subject, I think this all got started when some girls that couldn't really sing decided to amp up the breathiness that they heard in these previous singers. Then when one of these non-singers got popular somewhere along the way, others picked it up and did it intentionally in imitation of the non-singers, not the original singers.

In any case, it should leave town on the next train. Like many of the rest of you, I find so much 'twee-ness' exhausting.

Last edited by stillownedbysetters; 02-25-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuckslbj View Post
Lorde is a little different from the breathy, wispy style we're mostly talking about, but she does a lot of the same ass-raping of vowels, and it has nothing to do with being Australian.
Indeed, nothing whatsoever, as she's from New Zealand.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:16 PM

Though she does more upbeat, dance style tunes, as opposed to slow, folky stuff, I'd like to add Ms. Ellie Goulding to the list.

Next up, let's talk about singers who sound like braying asses. Rhianna(and Madonna before her) I'm talkin' to you girl.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:29 PM

Breathy-pretentious-waify-shit
Old 02-26-2015, 02:14 PM

here is a short list of options, thoughts?

1. fauxsoul
2. plastic despair pop or P-D-Pop
3. annoy-o-sound
4. "I am faking it like a whore faking an orgasm" pop,
5. whore-tone
Old 02-27-2015, 01:07 AM

Whore-tone, yes!

Man, every time I see this thread bumped, I am filled with glee knowing someone Googled "What the fuck is this bullshit, anyway?" and I rejoice. Rejoice, brothers and sisters. Feel the hate!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:06 AM

I call this style, "silly little girl singing in her bedroom with her eyes closed, wiping her bangs from her eyes and dreaming that shes singing in a coffee shop with a hundred hipster fuckwits hanging on her every word".
Old 03-01-2015, 04:12 PM

I am so happy I have found people who understand how terrible this genre is. It makes me so angry when I hear it. People often praise people who 'sing' like this by saying they're voice are so wonderfully 'unique'. It's not! It's all over the place!

I have a friend who does this and sings in dingy bars with her portable keyboard where we live. Everyone praises her. It sounds like a cat dying, slowly, painfully...

I will never understand this style of 'vocal's.

What happened to legitimately trained singers?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:51 PM

I found this board by googling "annoying twee girl singing." I've developed an irrational hatred of this singing over the last few years. I can't take it anymore! Combine this singing with a "ohh ohhhh ohhhhh" group singalong chorus, maybe throw in a glockenspiel or something, and you've stumbled upon the perfect formula for faceless commercial music. except some people actually listen to it on their own for enjoyment. these are dark times.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
Well early in Regina's career hear recordings were almost all piano and voice, and her singing style had much more range. Check out this song. (By the way, what genius produced "All You've Got Time"? Where did he get his backing track from, rejected Toto sessions?)
Yep - Regina Spektor is a prime example of an unusual artist who, after getting big, was pop-ified. I actually like most of her stuff, old or new, but I agree that her early stuff is far more sit-in-your-dark-bedroom-and-take-it-all-in than later pieces. Pavlov's Daughter, Daniel Cowman, and, to a lesser extent, Us are all far more anti-folk than songs like Fidelity.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Baby View Post
I am so happy I have found people who understand how terrible this genre is. It makes me so angry when I hear it. People often praise people who 'sing' like this by saying they're voice are so wonderfully 'unique'. It's not! It's all over the place!
They're clearly using some definition of "unique" that I'm unfamiliar with, because they insist on using this term while referring to something irritatingly ubiquitous. Maybe their definition means "every goddamn place and totally fucking stupid."

Quote:
It sounds like a cat dying, slowly, painfully...
A cat dying would be more enjoyable to listen to.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:16 PM

I listened to that Beatles travesty and immediately thought "dying animals".
Old 03-02-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
I call this style, "silly little girl singing in her bedroom with her eyes closed, wiping her bangs from her eyes and dreaming that shes singing in a coffee shop with a hundred hipster fuckwits hanging on her every word".
Not bad, but I'm gonna go with waif pop, for the sake of brevity.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:42 AM

Goddamn, it feels great to find a thread of people hating this style as much as I do. I started to think maybe the similarity was just in my head.

I gotta add though: I dont think its just girls singing like this. I Think there are guys doing exactly the same rubbish.

Passenger
Hozier
Woodkid
Greg Laswell

and probably tons of other trash.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean View Post
Breathy-pretentious-waify-shit
This music isn't waify. This is waify. Claudine Longet was annoying people back in the 60s and 70s with her breathy bullshit.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:07 AM

I hate this crap!! It seems every advert on tv these days has some annoying girl murdering a classic tune in this super-twee-asthma-girly-pop style. Its like a female version of hunger-dunger-dang.

There are so many of them out there these days but Diana Vickers has to be the worst perpetrator of this style, she took it and turned it up to eleven
Old 03-15-2015, 02:19 PM

Man, this thread attracts new posters like flies to honey.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
If you want to come up with a specific name for it it'd be a good thing to figure out who most popularized it. Not sure who that'd be.
There'd be no point unless you could go back in time and kill them.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
This music isn't waify. This is waify. Claudine Longet was annoying people back in the 60s and 70s with her breathy bullshit.
Now I know why she was shot!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Is this, "Ladies who sing like Duffy"?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groobus View Post
There are so many of them out there these days but Diana Vickers has to be the worst perpetrator of this style, she took it and turned it up to eleven
Don't tell me she is still around? I remember her from the X factor but that was years ago now and I assumed she had fucked off back to obscurity. She was definitely the poster child for this, with bonus points for always holding a hand up by her face while trying to squeeze words out her nose.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

Wait, no, I was misled by one of the OP's links, and I thought this was the Duffy/Winehouse/MarkRonson axis of soul. Lot of sorta-soundalikes there, too.

This is the Regina Spektor wannabe brigade, and the not-actually-singing-because-we're-folky part of it, and the bit of how you can take any composition and redo it in generic indie style and people might praise you for making it sound...generic and coffeehouse.

OK.

No, Suzanne Vega sang, kids. But I can see how you get from Vega to Spektor to this trend.

With some decent arrangements, you can make breathy work. Sóley does all right, I think, though she's not everyone's cup of tea. But that's in doing more interesting instrumentation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqH-q-u-zZQ
Old 03-16-2015, 08:50 AM

I don't mind a *teensy* bit of breathiness every 5 or 6 songs on your album, but I don't want it to be 95% of your style. Same with vocal fry.

But I don't know why so much of this stuff drives me freaking batty. Perhaps it's cuz I'm in my mid-40's and it's generational, but every time my 22 year old niece posts a Pamplamouse video on Facebook, I find a rising irritation as I watch it. I'm not even sure why the style gets under my skin.

Now, I enjoy some of Ingrid Michaelson's music ("Won't Die Alone" is a catchy l'il earworm that I'll turn up when it comes on Pandora), but her version of "Can't Help Falling In Love With You" will make my usually-ice-cold blood boil, (she plays with a ukulele fer Chrissakes!)

I will say that there are plenty of singers mentioned that I enjoy (I've been known to go on a Cat Power trip), but there are others who get under my skin with that quirky stuff. And I'd put the breathy waifs at an even tie in irritation-inducing with the melisma-istas that are all over "The Voice".
Old 03-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
Now I know why she was shot!
I think that was a joke, but just in case others take it seriously, she wasn't shot. She shot and killed her boyfriend, Olympic Skier Frances "Spider" Sabich, and totally got away with it, paying a small fine and spending 30 days in jail. People love you and don't think you're a raging maniac when you're adorable and sing adorably.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
I think that was a joke, but just in case others take it seriously, she wasn't shot. She shot and killed her boyfriend, Olympic Skier Frances "Spider" Sabich, and totally got away with it, paying a small fine and spending 30 days in jail. People love you and don't think you're a raging maniac when you're adorable and sing adorably.
Spider's mother was named Frances. His name was Spider (or Vladimir Peter). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_Sabich
Old 03-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
Spider's mother was named Frances. His name was Spider (or Vladimir Peter). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_Sabich
You're right. I read it too fast.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:19 PM

First, thanks for introducing me to Corinne Bailey Rae. She does the voice a bit, but it's minor and only for a line or two a song, and she uses it as a technique among a huge range of technique. She is awesome in my opinion.

I think that cover of Help is the best example. It's more the accent that these girls are singing with that bothers me so much. I don't mind a little vocal fry. It's the cutesy scary white girl version of a black jazz singer with an English accent teenage cat lady accent that bothers me so much. It's just so overused. I go to open mic nights and its seems 90% of women sing like this, especially if they are pretty and not especially talented. It works on people who think "oh she sounds like the girl who is on the car commercial so that's valid. also she's hot."

What is with the male version of this, that's not so quiet but still has the accent and overused vocal style? Mumford and sons, Avett Brothers, Fleet foxes, M ward, Tallest man on earth (some of who are awesome, but fit in this example). I don't mind the male version as much for some reason. Look both these guys are doing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j38NBRvhDGI

Last edited by Monkeywrench; 04-04-2015 at 08:22 PM.