Old 10-04-2016, 10:24 AM

For the twee-spotters keeping track in their log books, here's a perfect specimen I spotted in the wild while browsing indie-radio stuff...

Nuevelle Vague
Advertisements  
Old 10-04-2016, 11:42 AM

Fellow dopers, do you consider this song by Birdy to fit the mold? I won't lie, I do like this song while being annoyed by the typical "wispy" nature of the others. Perhaps it's that she utilizes a wider range, but I can't put my finger on it. Less wispy maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNzCDt2eidg
Old 10-04-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceiso View Post
Fellow dopers, do you consider this song by Birdy to fit the mold? I won't lie, I do like this song while being annoyed by the typical "wispy" nature of the others. Perhaps it's that she utilizes a wider range, but I can't put my finger on it. Less wispy maybe?

I'd vote no, that it doesn't fit the mold. It doesn't have the odd phrasing, weird pronunciation of common words or breathy/whiny verbal characteristics. I don't really like that song much, but her version doesn't strike me as having the annoying affectation that draws so many to this thread.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I think she gets a pass from this thread...she has a high-pitched voice, but she is genuinely projecting and singing, not cloaking herself under that breathy low-projection style. There's is also a minimum of falsely rounding out the enunciation of the vowels with that fake coffeehouse accent.

edit: Ninja'd by Orwell

Last edited by GargoyleWB; 10-04-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:01 PM

I remember when indie was the neo punk/new wave groups
Old 10-29-2016, 07:57 AM

Oh gosh, you do NOT know how thankful I am for this thread. You all are great.
Anyway, I feel like this song belongs here.
It feels a lot like a subtype of this singing style: though it isn't as whispery, it still obnoxiously parades that breathy "oh" and waifish twang.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:

I hate this. She sings weird and has marbles in her mouth, but she doesn't fit this particular style of waifish singing. It's something else annoying entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mrs. Mael View Post
It feels a lot like a subtype of this singing style: though it isn't as whispery, it still obnoxiously parades that breathy "oh" and waifish twang.
I got four seconds into this before I had to stop it. Good find!
Old 10-29-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mrs. Mael View Post
I don't know if that song is supposed to be funny or not, but it sure made me laugh to beat the band.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:49 PM

You know, that waifish, breathy singing is pretty much the way Marilyn Monroe sang, except it was Marilyn Monroe, and no one really cared what she sounded like-- and she did manage to make it sexy. (Kinda like how Marlene Dietrich could make terrible, off-key rasping sound very, very sexy.)

Anyway, is it possible that someone, somewhere in time, completely missed the point of why people liked Marilyn Monroe's performances? and tried to sing all breathy and high pitched, without any sexiness whatsoever? Because what the OP finds annoying is what you'd end up with.

And the adjective I see most often for Monroe's voice is "kittenish," (or just plain breathy) but I'm not sure that entirely captures what he is looking for. I think "waifish" is better.

I know this thread is a zombie, but it's been awake a while, and it's young for a zombie. If I wanted to describe what the OP finds annoying, I'd just call it "high-pitched and breathy." Not pithy, but accurate.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post

I know this thread is a zombie, but it's been awake a while, and it's young for a zombie. If I wanted to describe what the OP finds annoying, I'd just call it "high-pitched and breathy." Not pithy, but accurate.
It's also, and for me moreso, the over-affectation in the phrasing and sudden timbre shifts on certain words/syllables. The OP's third song linked is a bit outside of that style, but the first, second, and fourth all have that which grates on me. Same with Future Mrs. Mael's nomination for the thread. Doesn't have the waify, breathy thing going on as much, but the over-emphasized indie quirk sound is there.

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-29-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoying Buzz View Post
After Apple used this kind of singer for several of their ads, I started referring to the style as iWaif.
Ever since Apple used Feist's '1-2-3-4' for the Ipod Nano I've been calling this horrific genre "Mobile Phone advert lifestyle music".
Old 12-25-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
The first woman singing...yeah, agreed. But it wasn't really the style we are talking about in this thread. However, the second woman, starting nearly a couple minutes in, nails the style (and sounds much better to me).
Jesus, it's a bad impression of Bjork!
Old 12-25-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dada2fish View Post
Grace Vanderwaal

I immediately thought of this thread and pictured Mean Old Lady having a coronary watching this episode of America's Got Talent.

The audience ate it up and the judges all drooled over it, even Simon and she got a Golden Buzzer which is like reaching the tallest ladder in Chutes and Ladders game.

This 12 year old does waify, but she also turns into a Irish Lass with the sudden change of accent mid-song. of course, the ukulele is standard.

This type of singing isn't going anywhere.
This is what happens when the greatest wish of your pushy parents is for you to make music for crappy Mobile phone commercials.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchslap View Post
This is what happens when the greatest wish of your pushy parents is for you to make music for crappy Mobile phone commercials.
Specifically, Apple commercials. (ETA: Ah, I see you mentioned that in the previous comment. It's not so much the mobile phone angle, but the Apple angle for me.) But, yeah, I don't know why I didn't mention it earlier in the thread. This type of music always makes me think of the shitty music on Apple commercials. (And I say this as an Apple user.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-25-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Specifically, Apple commercials. (ETA: Ah, I see you mentioned that in the previous comment. It's not so much the mobile phone angle, but the Apple angle for me.) But, yeah, I don't know why I didn't mention it earlier in the thread. This type of music always makes me think of the shitty music on Apple commercials. (And I say this as an Apple user.)
The following song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlJGgbMKTzQ is the one that originally triggered my hatred for this genre, and it's not even by a woman. It was used on a hipster-ish commercial for the mobile phone network 'Orange' in the UK around 2007:

http://www.tvspots.tv/video/48353/orange--belonging

Last edited by hitchslap; 12-25-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:43 PM

[aside]So, hitchslap, do I know you from another board?[/aside]
Old 12-25-2016, 08:50 PM

Doubt it dude.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:51 PM

Good article on the subject:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ia.advertising
Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 PM

I too have just come to this discussion after Googling "annoying female indie singers." It's now 2017 now and we're still dealing with this BS. When will it stop?

Has anyone been to a movie recently where they showed the Power Rangers trailer? I was, and my ears were violated by this utter abomination of a Johnny Cash cover. I'm not sure if Johnny is rolling over in his grave, but if not, he should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qjl4lysi_s

Can we please return to female singers like Chrissie Hynde, Debbie Harry, Joan Jett, Shirley Manson, etc, instead of these whiny waifs? Oh, and to whoever knocked the great Suzanne Vega above, she is on a completely different planet than these chicks.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:38 PM

New member here as well! Googled "why does everyone sing with a stupid accent now?" and arrived here - among my fellow brethren. :-)

I have ALWAYS hated breathy, kum-ba-yah singers - but it's this nasally, open-vowel tone that really puts me over the edge. I can't recall where it all started - Blink 182 has that sound to them which always irritated the hell out of me...but now it's EVERYWHERE.

I thought it would have gone away by now but no! We're cursed!

And it's not just the sound - it's the entire STYLE that goes with it. The long, long hippy hair (or sometimes extremely short pixie cut), the pigeon-toed stance, the semi-forlorn yet somehow narcissistically satisfied air of these singers that drives me batty. It's infantile, but there's also a level of conceit and self-aware sexuality that goes with it. It's not true naivety that you might find in someone wet behind the ears. No, instead *everything,* every sound, look, every movement, each nuance, has been carefully crafted. There's nothing that comes spontaneously - from the heart so to speak. It's all just this shitty veneer of people trying to appear genuine. Well you can't try to be genuine - you either are or you aren't. And you can't try to be innocent - you either are or you aren't. And yet when you're trying to appear that you are, or sound like you are, well - we can see or in this case, hear, through it. And I think that's the dissonance we’re all detecting - that’s what's especially grating - it's all just…phony.

Ugh.

It’s like there isn't one honest bone in any of this sh*t. And I guess what especially irks me is when grown adults act or try to sound like children. It drives me bonkers. What is it about this generation that doesn't want to grow up?

Vomit material.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:08 AM

Preach it, Truth333!

And welcome to the boards!
Old 03-02-2017, 06:06 PM

Yes, welcome. But...Blink 182? Really?
Old 03-07-2017, 02:11 PM

the signing style can be called "falsetto" or "affection"

It's called 'affect', or "affection. When a singer/songwriter has a certain style of vocals that apply affection, then they can sing in falsetto, take for example Joanna Newsome. One could also link the breathes taken right after a word is sung on virtually all Michael Jackson and Trent Reznor singing. It's not the same as "affection", but it is still a subtle trick to get people to hear something that doesn't exactly register consciously, but that they are effected by.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarcross View Post
It's called 'affect', or "affection. When a singer/songwriter has a certain style of vocals that apply affection, then they can sing in falsetto, take for example Joanna Newsome.
I believe you are referring to "affectation" and, yes, that would apply to most of these singers.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:57 PM

i call it little kid/baby voice
(or)
Connor Oberst
Old 03-07-2017, 03:03 PM

As in, "that dude brought some serious Oberst to that track."
Old 03-07-2017, 03:09 PM

Or channeled, rather
Although as much as it bothers me to say it, you can trace it back to Bjork
That vocal style isn't just from being Icelandic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZY5JL8DCF0
Old 03-07-2017, 03:20 PM

I mean, people have been "affecting" their voices forever I'm sure, but that the quintessential "I' just learned ma words/baby voice" that I'm referring to
Will Oldham used to sing like he was going through puberty for years
Old 03-07-2017, 03:26 PM

Thanks for letting me know why I've always hated Bjork.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:18 PM

Here is a video of Pharrell Williams reacting to someone with this exact singing style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyimCGEkiUc

He actually almost cries and says that it's so original that it's comparable to Wu Tang changing the rap game. Are you fucking kidding me?

Last edited by dankton; 04-05-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankton View Post
Here is a video of Pharrell Williams reacting to someone with this exact singing style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyimCGEkiUc

He actually almost cries and says that it's so original that it's comparable to Wu Tang changing the rap game. Are you fucking kidding me?
I like the song, but he did overpraise it. To be fair, the singing style may fit into the universe of the sound we're talking about, but the instrumentation is beyond the simple acoustic guitar we often hear accompanying this vocal style.

Mostly, I kept watching them sitting next to each other and thinking how awkward it all was. I felt like it would have been much easier for her if she just sang it for him (and the wider audience) instead of sitting next to each other, being filmed, listening to what she had recorded.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

I would keep Maggie Rogers and the viral Pharrell video out of the discussion. She may have a light vocal style, but she created that entire track and that is what impressed Pharrell, even if he oversold his reaction a bit.

Creating a fully-realized mix like that, that is well-crafted, hooky, and which sounds unique/fresh is damn hard to do. That is what Pharrell is praising. As an unsigned artist, with the right support, she can smooth out her vocals, but that shouldn't be the focus of one's critique.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:16 PM

and there's more...

This is a francophone singer named Claudia Bouvette singing in a TV commercial. She gets into it immediately with the annoying, halting "ah ah ah" accompanying her ukulele. And from that point on it's all innocence and whimsy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t86pIjZpLk
Old 07-03-2017, 10:34 AM

Waify music

You just hang all over the minor 7th. Jefferson Airplane (White Rabbit) ----> Sade (Jezebel) -----> (Bjork (Human Behavior) ----> Cat Power ---->
Phrygian Mode

And Major 7th version of this would be Miracles (baby baby) ----> Crosby Stills and Nash ---> America (Ventura Highway) ----> The Sundays (Where the Story ends)
Old 08-19-2017, 01:36 PM

Not just indie

When I search for discussions on the annoying female singing voice phenomenon it is interesting to notice that they are usually about indie singers. I think young female artists in general seem to have this thing where the voice is awkwardly "cute" and every syllable seems to come out like a sigh. I always change the channel when the latest pop hit comes on and it's a young woman who sounds like she's reclining tiredly on a sofa or something. I wonder if the pop industry invented the voice to be some kind of subliminal thing that causes you to think about sex without quite being aware of it.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:41 AM

My teenage daughter was making me listen to a girl from her school who had a slot on a local radio programme to showcase her 'talent'.

It was all the same whiny songs with keyboard. My daughter says awwww isn't she really good - and I say No I hate it. Daughter presses me for why i don't like it hence the Google search! Thank you all so much I can now use lots of bits of your own terms to give my daughter a clear explanation why I do not like her friends singing.. how about this..

Reasons why i do not like your friend's singing voice:

Voice is child-like, sweet, wispy and waify. Not in a nice way- It is passionless with no power or feeling. She sounds bored or deeply depressed.

All of the the songs are sung softly and are breathy. It is monotone (unchanging)- using only 2 or 3 notes.
All of it has an unnecessary twang.
The enunciation of every vowel sounds like 'ow' and the accent is affected in a way that does not resemble normal speech in real life.

It is a very easy, narrow range style that anyone can do. It is popular because it hides a lack of talent.

The vocal range is appears to be extremely limited or at least it is not being shown off in the songs she chooses to sing.
It doesn't seem she has the dynamic ability to build the song into something more than 3 minutes of the same sound.

It is a recognisable, but NOT a unique voice. It is very common for young female singer/songwriters to sing in this copycat style. It started decades ago. You now can't tell the people singers apart.

I didn't mind so much the style if a few people did it but I don't like copycat performances. I like people to do something unique and true to their self.

For example Ellie Goulding has a similar sound in parts of voice but he difference is that Goulding also breaks into full upper head voice showing off that she can also belt out a fulsome tune whilst retaining her own style.

I basically find the style hyper-annoying and hope she chooses to be herself one day instead of like hundreds of other girls on YouTube.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I like the song, but he did overpraise it. To be fair, the singing style may fit into the universe of the sound we're talking about, but the instrumentation is beyond the simple acoustic guitar we often hear accompanying this vocal style.

Mostly, I kept watching them sitting next to each other and thinking how awkward it all was. I felt like it would have been much easier for her if she just sang it for him (and the wider audience) instead of sitting next to each other, being filmed, listening to what she had recorded.
This is reality TV remember. It's emotionally manipulative by design. You really only see things that play out according to a story board. If it doesn't work out that way they'll pretend it did, and people will feel the same in watching it. It's only a performance of how this is "supposed" to go, so that you will keep watching. It has nothing to do with hearing an actual great song.

He's a salesman, and full of BS to boot. The song was a musical bore. He was listening for $. That's what makes the dude cry.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:45 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxLUj1Mrars

Am I doing it right?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_toast View Post
I listened for more than 30 seconds before I figured out this isn't a parody of the annoying singing style we've been discussing. It appears to be presented without tongue-in-cheek.

Every word is pronounced in that weird style I hate. I thought there would be lines in the song explaining how she pronounces "back" like "baeyeeeek" and how to add squeals to certain words. Horrible.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
You catch on fast.

The comments sections of these things are even worse than the singing. These are the people you see when you walk out the door every day?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:07 PM

Sadly this turd of a song is regularly played on the radio here. Ugh

Last edited by B_toast; 09-20-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:50 AM

I just want to say this thread has saved my sanity!!!! I was starting to think I was the only one who wanted to eat glass when I heard this.
I joined JUST for this topic. Googled searched “why do modern female singers suck so bad” or something.

Anyway, if you are feeling like you need to jump off of a bridge just listed to apple musics top hits playlist.

Oh and all of the “dudes” are doing it now as well. Its sooooooo bad.

Never let this post die!!!!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch8 View Post
Yesterday I heard an abortion that was supposed to be a cover of Nirvana's "Come As You Are". I will spare you the horror and not provide a link or the name of the "singer".
Well to late I already imagined it.

Cooooaaahhhm asss you arhhhhr, as you wrhhhhhhhhr.

Gross.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:02 AM

This singing style is the Duckface of chick photos.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchslap View Post
The following song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlJGgbMKTzQ is the one that originally triggered my hatred for this genre, and it's not even by a woman. It was used on a hipster-ish commercial for the mobile phone network 'Orange' in the UK around 2007:

http://www.tvspots.tv/video/48353/orange--belonging
Not that far from Donovan, really.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:05 AM

I generally don't like this style and have no patience to sort through six pages of thread. I did a quick scan, though, and it looks like Jeanette hasn't been mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLxrrE6wC5I

Probably her best-known song. Apparently big in Japan (no surprise there).

More about her here. Note that the blog name is "Cha-cha-charming"; make of that what you will.

Now then, I think women have been singing this way forever. Not all of them, obviously, and not always as "baby talk," IMO. Maybe not in the case of this woman and others mentioned upthread, but most of the time, I think it is a deliberate effort to sound infantile and is just kind of creepy when not done right.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:11 AM

There's a commercial for, I think, the new iPhone with a woman singing who sounds like she needs an oxygen mask. Link to the song, not the commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2E1kYOk_hg
Old 10-15-2017, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good god, that may be the worst example (by that I mean a spot-on example) of the hyperannoying singing style I’ve heard. Holy crap is that infuriating. But, reading the comments, I guess I’ve just descended into old-fogeyhood where youngster music pisses me off.