Elio Motors, can they do it?

I love this car, or some may still prefer to call it a motorcycle. It’s basically an enclosed motorcycle, but has two wheels up front for balance, and one wheel in back. Others have tried the enclosed motorcycle approach too, some using just two wheels, and using gyroscopes to keep it upright. Others have used retractable gear that comes down at low speeds. This one just keeps three wheels down at all times, and is probably the simplest approach.

It’s supposed to get 84 mpg hwy, and is not a hybrid. Its standard package is going to have A/C, and power windows. Only has one door, and one door is all that is needed. Safety rating of 5 stars from NHTSA. Price is $6,800! And before you start thinking cheap, take a look at the names of major manufacturers backing them up. They have raised 50 million of 200 million dollars and have bought an existing automotive plant that had been closed down in LA. Anticipated production is supposed to be at the end of the year. IIRC though, about a year ago, they were telling us cars were going to start rolling off the line in spring of 2014. I’ve been monitoring this car for over a year, and there just isn’t much new news coming out.

I would love to have one of these cars, and am tempted to put my money down on several of them. But judging from the history of other new start car companies, the chances of them making it should be slim to none. What do you think? Whether you think they will make it or not, what do you think of their vehicle? Elio Motors

Neat idea, though I’m not sure how much demand there’ll be. It seems like it’s more “enclosed motorcycle” than “small affordable car”.

It sounds like it’s nominally a two-seater, but the roofline suggests that back seat could be very cramped (I find it a little telling that their web site has no pictures of the back seat, or anyone in a back seat), and trunk / luggage space is probably very limited (if it even exists – also note that there are no views of the rear of the vehicle).

1. I’d like to see more of the interior than just the dashboard, especially from a video titled “Interior”.
  2. The performance video should have shown more, like how it handles going around a sharp corner, or maybe show how it did past that very first cone in the obstacle course.
  3. 49mpg city/84mpg highway on an 8 gallon tank(good for between 392 to 672 miles on a tank). That seems to be quite a wide range mileage-wise.

There are plenty of video’s that will show you the backseat, especially on youtube. they have had some fairly big guys sit down in it.

There is no rearview mirror either because you’d be looking at the back of your seat. Mirrors on both sides should give plenty of visibility since it’s a very narrow body to begin with. If one wanted, I suppose they could go with a camera back there, but doubt they would be needed.

Personally, I really hope this vehicle takes off, but remain skeptical.

Czarcasm, youtube will have quite a few videos that you can see more. That 84 mpg is projected, and I think they may be on target due to its very low drag coefficientcy, but just don’t know enough myself to be sure. I just like the fact that it’s not a hybrid, and the cost is damn near nothing.

I’m having the ‘ooh shiny’ reaction I know, but I’d think hard about purchasing one of these.

A minimum 50-mile round trip commmute every day is expensive.

Could you share some links, rather than just telling us to go to YouTube? I confess, I’m being skeptical because Elio isn’t showing these things on their web page, where you would think they’d be showing these things off if they’re that good.

I’ve had some “fairly big guys” sit in the back seat of my Mustang. It doesn’t mean that it’s comfortable, or feasible for more than a short ride. Even so, my Mustang seats two very comfortably, and I think that being feasible for “driver plus one passenger for more than 10 minutes” is probably the minimum ante for a car, for most buyers.

It’s not a new concept by any means (cite), but it’s not a bad idea as a car for lone commuters.

I suspect many people will be put off buying it out of fear of what happens when you have an accident and the other vehicle is a behemoth SUV or some such.

Read an article that indicated according to federal law and most state laws, they’d be considered motorcycles. That means that operators would (unless the laws are changed) would be required to get a motorcycle endorsement and wear a helmet in states that require them.

They’re not likely to sell many unless those laws are changed; what are the odds that the small car companies, Nissan, Kia…lobby against those laws being changed?

They anticipate a 5-star carsh rating. Here’s the article I just read: $7,000 84-mpg Elio car moves forward with new production plant

Here’s one of the interior and backseat on youtube: Elio Motors FWD Reverse Trike in St. Louis, Missouri May 2013 - YouTube

There are now only about a handful of states that would require a helmet with the classification of this being an enclosed motorcycle. They have gotten some political help with this: GadgetellSolutions Media

Maybe not a good investment?

One of the videos showed a woman getting into the backseat – with some assistance.

Let’s say you can actually fit two humans in the car. So what? There’s no room for luggage, so you can’t take it on a trip. That gives you a 2-seater urban commuter car that gets 49 mpg city. A Prius gets better city gas mileage and holds more.

There’s probably a market for this, (Toyota has thei-Road concept car, which is very similar) but there are already 16 different plug-in electric hybrids competing for it.

Moderator Action

Since this is asking for opinions about the car (motorcycle, whatever) and its company rather than factual information about them, let’s move this over to IMHO.

Moving thread from General Questions to In My Humble Opinion.

The Smart Car gets good crash ratings, too. But, I know that a lot of people are still concerned about what happens when a tiny vehicle (good crash rating or no) goes up against a 3-ton SUV or a commercial truck – while I’m not an automotive engineer, at that point, I wonder if mass simply trumps crumple zones and airbags.

Actually seems to be roomier than I would have expected, though I’m not sure how tall that lady is.

You can travel 672 miles on a tank of gas…but you can’t bring your luggage.
edited to add: If two people go to town to do some shopping, how much could they fit into that thing?

Sure, but many people will base their decision on their own perception of safety.

From the video I saw, it looked like you’d have a small but acceptable carrying compartment with the back seat down. With the seat up and occupied, if the two people are carrying large purses they’d be SOL.

There might be a better market for it in Europe where nearly all the cars are this small. Yep, one doesn’t need to be a physics major to know what would happen to this 980 lb vehicle crashing into a 3-ton SUV.

Cars in US are going to be getting smaller though. They have to start getting over 50 mpg at a certain date, and in order to achieve their higher mileage ratings, they are going to have to be put on a diet.