The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-24-2014, 02:37 PM

Omnivores - Your Go To Vegetarian Dish?

Title says it all - for those of you who eat everything, what is your favorite vegetarian dish?

A long while back I started planning 1 vegetarian dish per week. I did so because I have a true love for animals, but was raised on meat. I don't think I could go full vegetarian, and I would never go vegan, but I can sacrifice a meal a week. I am also very meticulous about saving meat. I always buy fresh, try for free range and humanitarian farming. I buy big packs, split them up into 4oz meal portions and freeze them. Really the only food I throw out is plant scraps and the occasional unripened fruit.

Some days, when I feel like the world is getting so crowded, I look at my dogs and imagine a day that they too would be on someone's plate because perhaps one day that is all that will be left. So I buckle down and say FINE! I'll have TWO meals a week, now I'm doubling my impact!

My current favorite dish:

Eggplant Parm
Advertisements  
Old 02-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

In my opinion, eggplant is not a food. It is completely inedible. If I want to go meatless I choose some form of beans. Today it was a bean and cheese burrito with sour cream. I know some would say I am imprisoning those cows and stealing their milk, but alas, I can't give up dairy. At least the cow lives through it.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:54 PM

Veggie lasagna -- the kind with white sauce/ricotta and not red sauce.

Or pasta alfredo.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

My favorite would be pieroghis. But there are plenty of options: Most pasta dishes do just fine without meat, for instance.

EDIT:
Quote:
Veggie lasagna -- the kind with white sauce/ricotta and not red sauce.
Or the kind with red sauce, too. There's nothing that says that red lasagna must contain meat, nor that white lasagna must be vegetarian.

Last edited by Chronos; 02-24-2014 at 02:57 PM..
Old 02-24-2014, 02:59 PM

To each his own. I'm not a vegetarian, but I've never found a vegetable that I didn't like (except for beets), and eggplant ties with spinach for my favorite. Eggplant parmigiana is my personal favorite dish, but my specialty is a vegetarian chili using shredded homemade seitan instead of beef. Seitan is a meat substitute that's easy to make and high in protein and B vitamins, but being made of wheat gluten, is out of the question if you have celiac disease or a wheat allergy.

Note on the seitan recipe I linked to above: If I'm making it for chili, I use cayenne pepper or paprika in place of the ginger. I also like to add a shot of tomato paste for color, and a few drops of liquid smoke for flavor.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Salad.

If you mean cooked food, then lima beans.

If you mean an actual recipe, it would probably be stuffed mushrooms or eggplant parm.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:08 PM

Spinach and cheese quesadillas

Spinach lasagna

Spinach and artichoke dip

Sensing a theme?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:09 PM

Falafel!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:12 PM

Black bean chili. Spicy and delicious.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Mac & cheese.

Pasta.

Quesadillas.

Cheese.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic View Post
Falafel!
This.

I've also learned that falafel seasoned generously with Old Bay Seasoning and served with tartar sauce makes pretty darn good mock crab cakes.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

A "garbage" stir fry with chickpeas instead of meat, or tofu instead of meat and whatever suitable vegetables I have in the fridge.

Potato and leek soup (we had that for lunch today!)

Noodles and vegetables in homemade dashi broth

Mac and cheese

Hummus and pita bread with vegetables or fruit on the side

Big Salad with bread topped with butter, cheese, or olive oil

Baked potato with salad or fruit

Roll stuffed with spinach and cheese.

My spouse likes red beans and rice, or refried beans on crackers or taco shell, again additional vegetables or salad might be added.

Last edited by Broomstick; 02-24-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Old 02-24-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
My spouse likes red beans and rice, or refried beans on crackers or taco shell, again additional vegetables or salad might be added.
Yep, I was going to say beans and rice. Easy to make at home.

Snack: hummus and pita chips.

Restaurant: falafel (served gyros-style, slathered with tzatziki).
Old 02-24-2014, 03:44 PM

Pizza--vegetarian toppings abound.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:07 PM

As others have said mac and cheese. I've always loved it.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:13 PM

I make what I call Vegan Succotash, although I don't think it is really. But it's spicy, beany, hearty, and vegan. I freeze it up and add it to stews or eat it as it, OR add sausage to it. Good over rice, alone, or in a burrito shell.
Chips and salsa is totally a meal at my house, too!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Hashtags are Evil

I've been eating a lentil stew recently. I add some Worcestershire sauce as well.

I make tacos with tofu crumbles. And I used to stir fry tofu cubes with apples, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and some other stuff, in teriyaki sauce.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:25 PM

Tarka dal and rice.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papergirl View Post
I make what I call Vegan Succotash
Succotash is just beans and corn. It's already vegan.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:19 PM

Lasagne w/meatless tomato sauce

A close second is straightforward macaroni & cheese, followed by spaghetti w/the aforementioned meatless sauce
Old 02-24-2014, 05:30 PM

Fettuccine Alfredo
Old 02-24-2014, 05:43 PM

I love many vegetable incarnations of Tex-Mex standards -- cheese, refried beans, black beans, potatoes, and/or spinach in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas, etc. I make black bean and sweet potato burritos at home.

I love all kinds of vegetable soups. I made potato soup yesterday.

Indian vegetarian dishes are delicious. My favorites are palak paneer, aloo mutter, and chana dal. These I eat out or buy the MRE style pouches.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara57 View Post
Indian vegetarian dishes are delicious. My favorites are palak paneer, aloo mutter, and chana dal. These I eat out or buy the MRE style pouches.
My default "vegetarian dish" is an Indian or Pakistani buffet. If I have a vegetarian guest, that is always my first choice to take them where they will get excellent food and a good selection.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:02 PM

Linguine tossed with extra virgin olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, a splash of basalmic vinegar, and sprinkled with Parmesan.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:07 PM

Pinto beans (with salt, pepper and cayenne, finished with butter) and cornbread is a complete meal for me. Bonus points because you can do the cornbread with honey as a dessert. (For some meat flavor, ham hock or ham bones in the beans is nice, but not necessary)

Bean and cheese burritos are another go-to.

Vegetarian lasagna works pretty well, especially if you duplicate the flavorings that a normal recipe would pick up from the Italian sausage. I use portobello mushrooms, eggplant and zucchini for the layers that used to have meat, but any veggies you like will work.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:37 PM

A big ol' salad. Love 'em.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:52 PM

Black bean tacos -

(1) saute a couple of small onions (diced) until soft.

(2) add two regular sized cans of black beans (drained, but not excessively so)

(3) add 2 tblsp chili powder, 2 tblsp cumin, 1 tblsp soy sauce, and 2 tblsp syrup. Yes, regular ol' maple syrup.

(4) turn the heat down and cook it gently for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Serve with warmed up tortillas and all the fixings - i.e. salsa, cheese (if you allow that), lettuce, tomato, etc.

Yes, the spice amounts seem excessive (those are tablespoons!) but it balances out very nicely. And the syrup gives it a certain je ne sais quoi.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

If you're cooking beans you need a lot more spices than you would for meat or cheese. Beans, and to some extent the grains that often go with them, really soak up flavorings.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 PM

I don't eat fast food any more, with an exception. Bean tacos from Taco Bell. Just order regular tacos and ask for beans instead of meat.

My favorite thing at home is chana masala. I love it so much I learned to make it myself so I don't have to spend a fortune buying it from restaurants.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:25 PM

I like most vegetables, especially southern style, which is not EXACTLY vegetarian as they often have bacon fat or hamhocks or something like that in the broth for flavor. Mostly I eat them as sides with meat, but a plate of butter beans, collard greens, black eyed peas and a corn muffin leaves me very happy indeed.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I think I'd go with falafel, as well. That's some damned good stuff. Also a big fan of eggplant, especially in baba ganouj, but that's not really a main dish. All the vegetarian Indian stuff is fine by me. Plus my favorite Italian pasta dishes tend to be vegetarian, so there's all that. And I love eggs. I eat meat almost every day, but I don't think it would be difficult for me to go ovo-lacto vegetarian. Vegan would be much more difficult, but not impossible.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

While we're on the subcontinent, Nepali daal bhat is also quite good. Basically, rice, spiced lentil sauce, and assorted green veggies, with hot peppers optional. Unfortunately I don't have a recipe, though.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:23 PM

Spaghetti with a tomato, garlic, olive oil, basil, and capers sauce.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital is the new Analog View Post
I've been eating a lentil stew recently. I add some Worcestershire sauce as well.

I make tacos with tofu crumbles. And I used to stir fry tofu cubes with apples, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and some other stuff, in teriyaki sauce.
Worcestershire sauce has anchovies in it, thus not vegetarian.

My favorite vegetarian dish is elbow macaroni with canned tomatoes, fixed up with herbs and garlic.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
I don't eat fast food any more, with an exception. Bean tacos from Taco Bell. Just order regular tacos and ask for beans instead of meat.
Don't they have lard in them?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Don't they have lard in them?
Nope. They're vegan. Doesn't mean they're good for you, but no animal products in the beans at all.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:09 AM

Soup. SOOOOP!

Soup, soup, a tasty soup, soup,
A spicy carrot and coriander,
Chili chowder,
Crouton, crouton.
Crunchy friends in a liquid broth!
I am gaspatch-eeo, oh!
I am a summer soup, mmm!
Miso, miso, fighting in the dojo,
Miso, miso, Oriental prince in the land of soup!
Old 02-25-2014, 03:14 AM

Couscous with spicy tomato and chickpea sauce.
Mushroom risotto
Chip butties.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
Tarka dal and rice.
I prefer a Chana dal but Tarka dal is great when you want something a little 'otter.........

a-bumpt'ish

I'm here all week, tip your waitress, try the veal

shit!...no, not the veal....the hummus, the hummus.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:17 AM

We ourselves probably eat meat once or twice a week at most, but our go-to veg dish to bring to a potluck is a leek/cheese quiche. Easily converted to vegan by dropping the cheese and butter.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleizDu View Post
We ourselves probably eat meat once or twice a week at most, but our go-to veg dish to bring to a potluck is a leek/cheese quiche. Easily converted to vegan by dropping the cheese and butter.
What's left in a quiche without cheese? Can it even be called a quiche...
Old 02-25-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
Sounds like it becomes custard.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
And eggs? Can you make a quiche without eggs?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:41 AM

A big vegetable stew, including whole mushrooms (not sliced). We have the same sort of weekly schedule -- trying to go meatless once or twice a week. We usually make a big stew, often with lentils, and tons of other veggies -- mushrooms, carrots, cabbage, onions, peppers, tomatoes, sometimes okra, peas, celery, squash, and any other veggies you like. If it's seasoned well, it almost tastes like beef stew without the beef. We season with Zatarain's creole seasoning, sriracha hot sauce, salt and pepper, garlic, and sometimes bouillon cubes.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I'm sort of interested by all the people who deliberately go meatless a certain number of times a week. In my house we don't have a "meatless" schedule, it's just that some of what we like to eat just doesn't happen to have meat in it. So, we don't think "let's eat vegetarian for lunch" we think "Oh, doesn't potato soup or stuffed rolls sound good today?"

If you schedule your vegetarianism is it a ridged schedule? Do you sometimes throw in an extra meatless meal just because you have a taste for that particular thing?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I'm sort of interested by all the people who deliberately go meatless a certain number of times a week. In my house we don't have a "meatless" schedule, it's just that some of what we like to eat just doesn't happen to have meat in it. So, we don't think "let's eat vegetarian for lunch" we think "Oh, doesn't potato soup or stuffed rolls sound good today?"

If you schedule your vegetarianism is it a ridged schedule? Do you sometimes throw in an extra meatless meal just because you have a taste for that particular thing?
I have been trying to go meatless twice a day during the week for about four months now. I did it to help cut back calories without making that much of an effort and to encourage myself to eat more vegetables. Because my SO hates most vegetables (he will eat the holy trinity of corn, carrots or green beans and that's it :P) it's a pain to go very veggie-heavy at dinner. But by going vegetarian at breakfast or lunch, I can make up for that.

My go-to really is just sauteing whatever veggies I have handy- sometimes in a little butter, sometimes in garlic and olive oil with a dash of white wine - well-seasoning it and mixing it with pasta. Or I'll roast the veggies instead- asparagus and roasted tomatoes is especially good. I do end up adding fats to most of my veggie meals whether it's feta cheese in my salads or grated hard cheese and a little butter in my pasta.

For quick breakfast, I grab Lean Pockets three-cheese spinach or have some hummus and pretzel chips. Another great ready-made lunch (probably my favorite of any frozen entree) is Michelango's Eggplant Parmesan. Amazingly good for frozen food. I also like those Green Giant Cheesy Broccoli sides. I usually add more sauteed or roasted veggies to that as well.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorgirl View Post
And eggs? Can you make a quiche without eggs?
This is really bugging me now. Quiche is basically an egg-and-cheese custard in a pie crust. If you take out all the ingredients that aren't vegan, you are left with: a pie crust. What the hell is a vegan quiche?!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

My mom has a few black bean soups that are absolutely delicious, but I have no idea how to make them. I ought to learn.

I know that one of them has pumpkin in it.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWhatsit View Post
This is really bugging me now. Quiche is basically an egg-and-cheese custard in a pie crust. If you take out all the ingredients that aren't vegan, you are left with: a pie crust. What the hell is a vegan quiche?!
Well I was curious too so I googled it. Apparently there are lots of "quiche" recipes that replace the eggs and cheese with Tofu. It sounds pretty vile to me but de gustibus non disputandum.

As for my own contribution to the thread, my go to vegan dish for when I have to make one is Molly Katzen's Firecracker Red Beans served with pineapple rice.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:33 AM

I'm an omnivore. I eat vegetarian dishes all the time without thinking about it. One of those steamer veggie bags for lunch one day, could be popcorn the next. Cheese tortellini in vodka sauce is a good, filling meal. Or a biiig pot of homemade mac n cheese.

Last edited by Rachellelogram; 02-25-2014 at 10:33 AM..