The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 03-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
I dunno. Perhaps we can all go to Kansas and protest at his funeral. Or line up and piss on his grave. Those are reasonably kind thoughts, considering the asshole extraordinaire that Fred Phelps was in his life.
Why bother? The biggest show of contempt that you can offer the man would be to ignore his death completely. Show that all of his efforts in life had no impact. The alternative is to reinforce the idea that he did anything that mattered.
Advertisements  
Old 03-16-2014, 11:55 AM

After responding to this thread with this post, I will do the one thing that makes people like him and his "church" the most upset, I will ignore it.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientHumanoid View Post
After responding to this thread with this post, I will do the one thing that makes people like him and his "church" the most upset, I will ignore it.

Ha! Didn't see post 51

Old 03-16-2014, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

It's too bad I'm not a good enough person to forgive him.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
Why bother? The biggest show of contempt that you can offer the man would be to ignore his death completely. Show that all of his efforts in life had no impact. The alternative is to reinforce the idea that he did anything that mattered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientHumanoid View Post
Yeah, DNFTT.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I dunno. Perhaps we can all go to Kansas and protest at his funeral. Or line up and piss on his grave. Those are reasonably kind thoughts, considering the asshole extraordinaire that Fred Phelps was in his life.
You'd only be taking yourself down to the level you believe Fred to be on.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VunderBob View Post
God says,
"I forgive everyone, even Phred."
And that's precisely why I don't believe in God, and never will.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:34 PM

As an atheist, I know that it's very likely that this is the only life we get, so death sucks. I don't wish it on anyone.

That said, fuck this guy. Die forgotten and alone.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:41 PM

“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

v. Bernhardi ---- Germany and the Next War
Old 03-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Well, if God exists, then Fred will soon get a chance to be judged as he has judged others. Not even remotely a position I would wish to be in, given the awfulness that he has ascribed to God.

And really, even if God existed and he was forgiven and taken into heaven? Still a bit of hell to spend that eternity knowing the pain and suffering he had inflicted upon the world. And I mean, really KNOW it. To know the harm he did, to know how wrong he was. For all eternity.

God is forgiving and loving. He will show Fred to the apartment he picked out just for him in the West Hollywood section of Heaven. God will also introduce Fred to his new roommate Bruce the hairdresser.

Besides being all knowing, all loving, and all forgiving God has one hell of a sense of humor.
Remember this motto to live by: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather one should aim to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, glass of Scotch in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! Man, what a ride!"
Old 03-16-2014, 12:45 PM

I'm an atheist and think that this is the only life you get.

For that reason, I think it's a shame that someone spent his so hatefully, so cruelly, so angrily.

The best "revenge" is looking at his life and realizing what a misery it was. We have one shot at joy, and he wasted it.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
You'd only be taking yourself down to the level you believe Fred to be on.
Your brand of arrogance is particularly offsetting. Phelps deserves whatever he gets. Quit admonishing people that it should be any different.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
"Gosh darn."
"Gosh darn Phred.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
God is forgiving and loving. He will show Fred to the apartment he picked out just for him in the West Hollywood section of Heaven. God will also introduce Fred to his new roommate Bruce the hairdresser.
"Oh dear, you're gonna hate Tuesdays..."
Old 03-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post

I totally agree with this. His entire family is gearing up for a shitstorm and will be gleefully anticipating how they will retaliate and that it means they've been right all along. Completely ignoring the whole thing will deflate and baffle the hell out if them. They'll be so disappointed that they were the only ones showing up for a fight.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claverhouse View Post
“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”
Surely you're not implying that people in this thread expressing some level of glee or scorn at his death are equivalent to Phred himself?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:36 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claverhouse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
Surely you're not implying that people in this thread expressing some level of glee or scorn at his death are equivalent to Phred himself?
Oh, dumbfuck lazy moral equivalence. If only I had enough Nobel Prizes to honor all the people who use you. (I presume that's what they're after - then they'd finally shut up.)

Last edited by Marley23; 03-16-2014 at 02:42 PM..
Old 03-16-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim View Post
In an effort to address the good in people in their last days, I remind (or inform for the first time) that in his younger days, Phelps was a defender of civil rights for blacks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Ph...l_rights_cases
I don't think he has good in his last days. If he was evil and then turned good later I could overlook the evil but if you are good and then turn evil I think that evil overrules the good.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:11 PM

If you, in your dying moment of clarity and fear, repent of all of the evil that you have done during your life, I cannot accept it. Because you have had all of your life to come to that epiphany and have refused it. You have chosen to continue to do evil right up until the moment that you, at long last, see the darkness of the abyss, and realize that you too shall end. I shall not grant you the peace of believing that I forgive all that you have done, or that you bear no further guilt for those crimes.

Carry that weight, like a stone, into the Abyss. I shall not take it from you.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm told that one should speak only good of the dead.

Fred Phelps will soon be dead. Good.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's never too late to come back to God.

Never.
So, what your are saying is that Adolf Hitler, the go-to guy for these questions, not only could have, in his last moment of life, come back to God, but also could today, some seventy years later? Because that works for me. Never liked the whole eternal torment thing because people can change.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:31 PM

Don't morticians insert cotton into the rectum to prevent embarrassing postmortem flatulence during funeral services?

If so, I'll ascribe the faint smile on his corpse's face to that.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
An excommunicated member of the WBC asks if Fred himself might have been secretly gay.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/03/14...-might-be-gay/

Some other linkies:

Daily Kos: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...sts-Near-Death

Patheos: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...edge-of-death/
Actually, the more I read the first link, the more it sounds like Phred maybe got raped at Westpoint and his life's subsequent crusade was the coping effort of a broken mind.
Doesn't absolve the hate and plain evil, but it does make the character more tragic than comedic.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
I wish him and his family the peace and strength they gave to those whose funerals they picketed.
Well, keep in mind that lots of his family never participated in those and were excommunicated by him for doing so.

The OP is talking about Phelps son who was kicked out by his father and actually contributes to LGBT causes.

I was saddened to hear in the OP that he and other family members "excommunicated" aren't allowed to meet with him.

Them, I feel sorry for and find the rest of the family disgusting.

Phelps himself I have no sympathy for.

When I see how he's treated his own family I'm reminded of the biblical saying "He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind".
Old 03-16-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn Warraq View Post
Well, keep in mind that lots of his family never participated in those and were excommunicated by him for doing so.

The OP is talking about Phelps son who was kicked out by his father and actually contributes to LGBT causes.

I was saddened to hear in the OP that he and other family members "excommunicated" aren't allowed to meet with him.

Them, I feel sorry for and find the rest of the family disgusting.

Phelps himself I have no sympathy for.

When I see how he's treated his own family I'm reminded of the biblical saying "He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind".
When I clicked on this thread, I didn't think I was reading in the BBQ pit, then I saw y'all's responses. Funny, but the OP sure doesn't sound like they are pitting Nathan or Fred Phelps.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:18 PM

I've read some of Nathan Phelps' posts on reddit a while back. I'm very proud of him getting out of that life of hatred faith.

Exactly why was Fred excommunicated from his own church? Have his faithful followers gotten even more ridiculous?
Old 03-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I've read some of Nathan Phelps' posts on reddit a while back. I'm very proud of him getting out of that life of hatred faith.

Exactly why was Fred excommunicated from his own church? Have his faithful followers gotten even more ridiculous?
If it is true he was ousted the reasons haven't been stated yet, and it's likely they never would be. If it's true he's in the hospice then they are taking care of him physically. Perhaps, instead of "excommunicated" what was meant was "ousted from his position as church leader"
Old 03-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Non sum ergo non cogito

There is absolutely no criticism (implied or overt) of any responses suggested by this posting; I just truly find it fascinating that Fred Phelps is being talked about in the BBQ Pit (of all places!) in such a civil fashion.

If I had anything to say (I don't) it would probably also be civil, but it just strikes me as so blindingly out of character for the BBQ Pit+Fred Phelps combination.

Last edited by Canadjun; 03-16-2014 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: this not the
Old 03-16-2014, 05:39 PM

I guess someone has to point out the good that has come from his life and actions. The Patriot Guard formed in protest.

At first, they just went to funerals for troops who were killed in duty and only when invited. But now they (I'd like to say "we" but I only go in missions when I have time, so I'm not a dedicated member) provide comfort and support to families of Veterans and LE no matter how they have fallen. I recently attended a funeral for a Korean Vet. He died of end stage Alzheimer's. His family seemed comforted by our actions and presence.

If not for Fred, I would have never heard about the funeral, much less been there holding a flag.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Actually, the more I read the first link, the more it sounds like Phred maybe got raped at Westpoint and his life's subsequent crusade was the coping effort of a broken mind.
Why on earth are some people trying to make excuses for this jerk?

Some assholes are merely assholes -- they're born that way.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:45 PM

Excuses are just that.

Everything we are is bound by the choices we make in life. Fred has had many years of making the wrong choices. Making the most hateful and despicable choices, knowing that he is harming others. Do not absolve him of responsibility for those choices based on something that may or may not have happened to him a lifetime ago.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim View Post
In an effort to address the good in people in their last days, I remind (or inform for the first time) that in his younger days, Phelps was a defender of civil rights for blacks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Ph...l_rights_cases
Only because it was an untapped market. He wasn't a believer in equal rights, he was a believer in making money where he could.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
If you, in your dying moment of clarity and fear, repent of all of the evil that you have done during your life, I cannot accept it. Because you have had all of your life to come to that epiphany and have refused it. You have chosen to continue to do evil right up until the moment that you, at long last, see the darkness of the abyss, and realize that you too shall end. I shall not grant you the peace of believing that I forgive all that you have done, or that you bear no further guilt for those crimes.

Well said.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Not me.

I can't stand long lines.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Word is, this is God's policy now too. Too many bad apples abused the "repent and be forgiven" program.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_david View Post

I'm not trying to make excuses for him. I did say it wouldn't absolve the hate, didn't I ? I'm sure I must have. If only there was a way to go back in time and find out what I said...
Old 03-16-2014, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But after a lot of thinking and prayer I have come to realize that if I believe that Saul of Tarsus(the Fred of his day) could become Paul, professing God and dying for him, then that could happen for Fred too. It's never too late to come back to God.

Never.
I thought Paul hated fags too?

As for Fred. it's enough for me as an atheist to fervently wish that there were a Hell so this asshole could suffer eternal torment in it. But, unfortunately, in reality he sleeps as peacefully now as Mandela or Mother Teresa. The universe was never about fair.

Nathan I feel for.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Fred never went to West Point. He did have the appointment, but went on a mission trip the summer before. A mission trip with two older men. A family member,(I think it was a sister) said he came back from that a changed young man.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:42 PM

Let's just say that I hope nobody pickets his funeral, because it would involve acknowledging his existence.

And I think the Pit is an appropriate place for this thread, because that's where he's probably headed.

One of my Facebook friends, who's openly gay and a devout Christian who's thinking about going into the ministry, said he'd love to be a fly on the wall at the Pearly Gates.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
Where's the funeral?

Completely unrelated, but is it legal to send shit through the mail?
(cue Divine in "Pink Flamingos") "Someone has sent me a bowel movement!"

I read somewhere that Jerry Falwell's ministry used to get packages like this all the time, too.

Actually, it is legal. You can get stool sample kits that test for occult blood, and they come with a biohazard mailer.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:47 PM

I'm glad he's dying because he specifically sought to increase human suffering, and presumably his cult will die with him, or soon after.

I'm sad that religion poisoned him, like it does so many others. Such a waste of a life.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

It's a good thing you aren't God then. The God I worship, is one of mercy, and I truly believe that if Fred would repent of the evil he has done, and acknowledge God as his savior, then he would be forgiven and enter Heaven.

One night I dreamed death came for me,
and Heaven opened wide.
With kindly grace an angel came
and ushered me inside.
There, to my asonishment
Stood folks I'd known on Earth,
some I'd judged and labeled as
"unfit, of little worth."
Indignant words rose to my lips
But never were set free,
For every face showed stunned surprise
No one expected me!

Last edited by Baker; 03-16-2014 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
It's a good thing you aren't God then. The God I worship, is one of mercy, and I truly believe that if Fred would repent of the evil he has done, and acknowledge God as his savior, then he would be forgiven and enter Heaven.

and Heaven opened wide.
and ushered me inside.
There, to my asonishment
But never were set free,
No one expected me!
Your beliefs are shitty. John Wayne Gacy being forgiven at the last moment because of a deep repentance, isn't a positive thing. It's horrific and nonsensical.

The fact that you think this is a laudable way to run a universe is goofy-as-fuck.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:

I don't think anyone is making an excuse for him -- but an explaination for why he was like he was. It doesn't excuse his actions. He still made the choice to act that way.

If he was born evil, then generally that would make him a sociopath, which would be also be making an excuse for him.

(I've heard his "civil rights" activism was mostly a farce to get attention)
Old 03-16-2014, 06:59 PM

Why all the hate for Phred? He was a great Doonesbury character, and the interplay between him and B.D. was always enjoyable.

And hi, Lucretia! Hope all is well with you and Bluesman, not to mention your kids who I guess are now grown up or close to it.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobohan View Post
Your beliefs are shitty. John Wayne Gacy being forgiven at the last moment because of a deep repentance, isn't a positive thing. It's horrific and nonsensical.

The fact that you think this is a laudable way to run a universe is goofy-as-fuck.
I said forgiven, I didn't say "not punished". Civil authority is a different thing than divine authority.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Because understanding evil is the only way to prevent it. Writing people off as born assholes is a surefire way of ensuring there will be more of them.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
As my personal quote goes;

The greatest sin is to cast your evil upon the face of God.
To ascribe to Him the darkness in your own heart.

Fred Phelps is the poster child for this. And I don't truly believe, after half a life of saying that his God is a god of Hate, that any repentance of this would be sincere. But since God knows men's hearts, I'll leave it up to him.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Actually if God does exist he's responsible for a whole universe more of pain and suffering than Fred ever caused.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:

and Heaven opened wide.
and ushered me inside.
There, to my asonishment
But never were set free,
No one expected me!
Knock-off Emily Dickinson; you can sing it to The Yellow Rose of Texas, as well.