Old 03-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

A question about tubal ligation

My daughter got a tubal ligation with her last C-section birth about a month ago. A section of each Fallopian tube was removed (and given to her, like replacement parts at the car shop). She now cannot have more children because her eggs cannot get to the uterus. This, of course, was the desired effect.

The question: None of this affects the ovaries. I presume they continue to churn out ova at their usual rate. How come women with tubal ligations don't have a problem with the eggs piling up in the Fallopian tube and causing some sort of burst or other problem?
Advertisements  
Old 03-08-2017, 11:46 AM

I'm no doctor, but my understanding is that these "eggs" are only one cell each, and are simply absorbed into the body.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:48 AM

As I understand it the unfertilized eggs are absorbed by the body, so they don't pile up anywhere. A woman usually only produces 12 viable eggs a year, 6 from each ovary, so it's not like there are hundreds of eggs that need to be dealt with.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:12 PM

A human egg cell is around 1/10th of a millimeter across, or something like a million eggs in a 1 cm cube. It takes the average woman somewhere around 83 thousand years to release a million eggs. It isn't like that candy factory scene from I Love Lucy down there.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum God View Post
The question: None of this affects the ovaries. I presume they continue to churn out ova at their usual rate.
Humans are born with all the eggs they'll ever have.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:59 PM

I guess it's much the same after a vasectomy - all those sperms swimming around with nowhere to go.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:01 PM

You're probably thinking about the emergency that happens when a fertilized egg implants in the Fallopian tube, and starts to develop. That quickly becomes larger than one cell, and that's why it's a problem.

Also, FWIW, sometimes fertilized eggs die in the Fallopian tube, and then there isn't a problem. It's only when they keep growing that it's a problem.

And yes, it's true that women are born with all the eggs they will ever have, but a mature one released in the Fallopian tube is a little larger than an immature one. We're talking microscopic either way, though.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:38 PM

It's not like they have shells or anything.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob++ View Post
I guess it's much the same after a vasectomy - all those sperms swimming around with nowhere to go.
That's my understanding as well - the sperm have no natural exit after a vasectomy, and are just absorbed into the bloodstream. I am not entirely sure of the mechanism for this, tho. But, the body produces many time more of those swimmers compared to eggs, and it's not like they are piling-up somewhere.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum God View Post
She now cannot have more children because her eggs cannot get to the uterus.
She cannot have more children accidentally. Note that having children via IVF remains possible.