What to do after hitting parked car?

My wife scraped a parked car while exiting a parking spot today. There is a small dent and some paint damage on the other vehicle and a long scratch that touches three panels on our vehicle. She left her contact information on a note and we haven’t heard from the other party yet. What’s the next step? Can we offer money up front or do we wait for the other party to get an estimate? Can we request that they get multiple estimates or anything like that? At what point should we involve our insurance?

The last time I did that, I left a note with my contact information and the contact info for my agent. then I took a couple of quick phone pictures and sent them to the agent, and called her to explain the situation and to expect a call from the as-yet unidentified car owner.

By the time she did call the agent, the claim was ready to go. Every one was happy except me, because my rates went up for a couple years. :mad: :frowning:

I realize that it probably doesn’t matter, but does it make any difference if the other car was not within the designated white lines?

Nope, you shouldn’t be running into things that aren’t moving. At least that is what the judge told me last time.

You should file a police report as well. That’s what I was told to do by the cops when I called them after being forced of the road and into a parked car.

No. It is the driver’s responsibilty to avoid non-moving objects.

“Close eyes and depress accelerator pedal until clear of obstruction.”

-The new wife’s guide to a successful marriage. Vol I. (1992)

The note that she left also admits culpability “I’m sorry…”. Was that a bad move? We have a friend that lives right by the site that could swap the note for one with just our contact information.

To the person who damaged my right front fender this February in the company parking lot:

I’m still waiting for your note with contact information so your insurance can pay for the damage.

She hit a parked car, and is 100% at fault. The “I’m sorry…” is immaterial.

Some jurisdictions have changed laws so that “I’m sorry” statements are inadmissable, FWIW. Maybe you’re lucky in that regard.

She is culpable. Are you trying to avoid responsibility here?

I don’t see how that could make a difference when it comes to hitting a parked vehicle; of course she’s culpable.

Someone scraped my back bumper this year. I noticed it probably days later, I’m not sure. If that person would have left a note, I probably would have called and said “Forget about it.” Maybe you’ll be as fortunate.

ETA: First part ninjad by TriPolar

The traditional wording on the note is:

The people watching think I’m leaving my name and telephone number but I’m not.

When they call, make sure you say that you expect to be compensated for the long scratch their car left on your wife’s as she was exiting the space. And don’t let them off the phone until they tell you they’re sorry.

No, of course she’s culpable, I’m wasn’t sure if admission of guilt in writing is still a bad idea. Similar, to a much lesser degree, to not talking to the police without a lawyer even when you’re innocent. In (combined) 32 years of driving between the two of us, this is the first time either of us have made accidental contact with another vehicle so this is all stuff I’ve never really thought too much about before.

If Judge Judy can be believed even “I’m sorry” is not admitting culpability, because your wife might be truly sorry that the car was scratched even without claiming culpability. But it seems pointless here since she left the note with her contact information.

You DO have car insurance, don’t you? These situations are why you pay them to do their job. You do not try to work out the details between you and the other party. It seems like a good idea, but it is a very bad one.

You hit somebody or somebody hits you. You get the other driver’s insurance and driver’s information.

Take a few pictures and preferably call a cop to come take a look at things and take a report. Or file a police report yourself.

Call your insurance agent with the information. They will insist that you file a police report if you haven’t already done so. The police report is not to assign blame, it is official documentation of the event so it does not turn into a “what accident” he said/she said. The insurance company will require one.

Then let your insurance company do its job. Offering money and trying to work things out and avoid official insurance reporting is a real good way to end up getting sued or otherwise taken advantage of.

I don’t really agree with that. I mean, yes you can call your insurance company, but settling a scraped car for a few hundred bucks might be better in everyone’s interest. Your rates don’t go up, and maybe the other guy is quite happy buying some paint and pocketing the rest of the cash. Who knows?

What’s he going to sue you for anyway?

If it happened on private property or the accident is very minor (seems to be both in this case), the odds are the police won’t get involved at all. Insurance companies don’t ‘require’ a police report.

He could claim more damage than caused by the original incident. He could get into another accident later and blame it on you, because he/she now has your information and note that admits you had an accident involving his car. They could go to the hospital to report injuries to people who where not even at the scene.

A police report defines the date, conditions, and estimated damages. Without the police report you leave the incident open to later re-interpretation or embellishment.

You and I might scrape each other’s cars and work things out, but the world is full of assholes looking to take advantage of a situation. This is part of what you are paying those insurance bills for, to protect you.

Yes, insurance companies do require a police report, if you expect them to pay on you claim that is.

Stolen property, damaged property, they want a report. You can even file a very late police report, but they want one.

Have you personally ever got paid for an insurance claim that did not involve an official report? Please tell.