The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 04-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Attending Chicago White Sox

During Spring Training, I filled out a survey for the Chicago White Sox. I've now won free tickets.

As a thank you for your participation, you are receiving a personalized redemption code for two complimentary Upper Box tickets to a White Sox April 2014 home game of your choice (excluding the Boston Red Sox series). You are also able to purchase additional Upper Box tickets for $10 each (a savings of up to $9) or, if you prefer lower-level seating, you can instead select Outfield Reserved tickets for any of the game dates offered for $15 each (a savings of up to $11).

How bad is Upper Box? I'm planning on taking the red line there, I imagine it's fine to and from a game. I know the area around Comiskey isn't exactly prime sightseeing territory, but I imagine the crowds around the game are fine, I'm always aware of pickpockets at any large gathering of people.

Any must try food items? How's the beer selection? I'm probably looking at one of the Rays games the last week of April.
Advertisements  
Old 04-05-2014, 01:41 PM

Without a seating chart, I'm not sure where upper box seats are located. Red line is a great way to get there. The travelling beer vendors have Miller Light and Genuine draft, but in the concourse you can get craft beers. Have fun! I can't believe it's finally baseball season!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 04:59 PM

dalej42, here's a site that explains what seats are what at US Cellular Field. I don't have any recent experience with the park, I haven't been in over 20 years - but I thought it might be helpful for you.

Hope you have a great time!!
Old 04-06-2014, 12:22 AM

The food at the Cell is not particularly memorable, but you CAN get Connie's Pizza there. People seem to either love or hate Connie's though.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReticulatingSplines View Post
The food at the Cell is not particularly memorable, but you CAN get Connie's Pizza there. People seem to either love or hate Connie's though.
What? I'm a Cubs fan and the Cell is one of the best ballparks for food. The first ranking article I found put them in the top five in the MLB. This year, they even have an actual chicken and waffle sandwich available!

Seriously, though, the food and beer there is quite good, far better than at Wrigley, and top tier for the league as a whole.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

By the way, here are some of the fun new offerings at Sox Park this year.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:24 AM

I agree, the food at Sox Park is mighty good. Way too good for the likes of Sox fans!!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I agree, the food at Sox Park is mighty good. Way too good for the likes of Sox fans!!
HEY NOW!!!!! I may have not been there for twenty years only because I can't afford it nor do I like heights, but I'm still a Sox fan through and through!!
Old 04-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Get the elotes if you've never had it. IMHO it's not as good as you'll get from a street cart but it's still pretty darn good.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I'm thinking that bacon on a stick looks mighty good. How about this Beggar's Pizza, is it any good? Giordano's is one of my favorites, although I believe I once had D'agostinos at Wrigley a couple years ago.

That beer selection looks good. I know I"m paying out the nose for a beer, but at least I'll get the beer I like, not just Bud or Bud Light.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:20 PM

The Sox sell Beggers pizza now. The food at US Cellular has always been ranked as having the best food in baseball too. The neighborhood gets a bad rap but it's been ranked as one of the safest neighborhoods in Chicago.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
What? I'm a Cubs fan and the Cell is one of the best ballparks for food. The first ranking article I found put them in the top five in the MLB. This year, they even have an actual chicken and waffle sandwich available!

Seriously, though, the food and beer there is quite good, far better than at Wrigley, and top tier for the league as a whole.
Well my park is #1 Camden Yards, so perhaps my view is skewed.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:05 PM

Also attending a game on this deal, and have a couple of questions about what you can bring into the park.

The White Sox site, under "Security", says:

Guests Are Welcome To

Carry in food in a small, clear (see-through) plastic bag.
Carry in one sealed plastic bottle of water, one liter or less in size, but no other beverages of any kind.

Is it just one "small" bag of food? Or can you bring in the components of a picnic lunch in separate baggies?

How about an empty water bottle, refillable at water fountains? Do they have water fountains, or is it all (high-priced!) bottled water?

Thx!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeAudrey View Post
Is it just one "small" bag of food? Or can you bring in the components of a picnic lunch in separate baggies?
Like with TSA at airports, it will somewhat depend on the individual security personnel but my own take is that it simply must be able to be inspected. For example, they'd probably not let you bring the sealed 117oz can of Bush's Baked Beans into the park but sandwich fixings (I wouldn't bring even a plastic knife, though) or a sack of sliders or a burrito would be good to go.
The clear plastic bag verbiage is probably in response to a complaint like "Your security people touched my apple and Bam, two weeks later, I got sick! See you in court.." or somesuch nonsense.
Come to think of it, I have brought closed Cracker Jack boxes into similar-outside-food-policy Wrigley without issue.
I'm sure an empty water bottle is ok and that there are water fountains available, too.