Old 05-03-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbunny8 View Post
The shortest I can find in the continental USA is from Baltimore (BWI) to Philadelphia (PHL) US Airways flight 4601, 37minutes.
Reagan National to Dulles would be shorter; while I doubt it's offered as a destination, many flights out of National stop at Dulles on their way to a real destination.
Advertisements  
Old 05-03-2014, 07:14 AM

The shortest flight I've been on was from Vegas to the Grand Canyon. Unfortunately there was an enormous dust storm approaching so we taxied, then went back and disembarked. I doubt I'll be honeymooning in the States again, any time soon.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:21 AM

Although no longer in business (last flights were in 1986), Island Airlines provided scheduled flights from Port Clinton, Michigan to a series of islands in Lake Erie.

These flights started at the airport in Port Clinton and landed at Kelleys, South Bass, Middle Bass, and North Bass islands. It was dubbed the "World's Shortest Airline" because the round-trip flight was 17 miles and took just 45 minutes.

The really neat thing about these flights was that they exclusively used Ford Trimotors. As the last Trimotor was built in 1933, this meant that the airplane had a commercial lifespan of 53 years,
Old 05-04-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbunny8 View Post
The shortest I can find in the continental USA is from Baltimore (BWI) to Philadelphia (PHL) US Airways flight 4601, 37minutes.
I've flown that route many times as a connecting flight. I figured that SBY to BWI (which I've flown many times, but not in 8-9 years) was pretty short, but it looks like they only go to PHL and CLT these days.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:37 PM

These planes fly at different speeds, right? So that might be needed comparing proximity on land.

Eilat-to-Tel Aviv is pretty quick, I suppose, but I've never taken it.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

The shortest I've ever flown was Vancouver BC to Victoria BC. It took about 15 minutes.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:49 PM

People’s Viennaline is making history by launching the world’s shortest international flight. The flight, from St. Gallen, Switzerland (ACH) to Friedrichshafen, Germany (FDH), covers a distance of 13 miles and lasts just eight minutes in the air (though it’s blocked for 20).

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/aust...#ixzz4LKI0GYyK

Daily Mail story has more and summary of other longest and shortest flights--which perhaps some more enterprising poster will compare to those already in this thread for completeness/correcti on either part. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...T-MINUTES.html
Old 09-25-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
I flew from Tahiti to the island of Moorea, 7 minutes.
I flew the opposite way last month: Moorea to Tahiti on Air Tahiti. The flight took 10 minutes. That was the shortest regularly scheduled flight I have ever taken.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:04 PM

What's the point of these 2-15 minutes flights? Aside from areas in very rough terrain, isn't it simpler and cheaper to make a road or go by boat?
Old 09-25-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
What's the point of these 2-15 minutes flights? Aside from areas in very rough terrain, isn't it simpler and cheaper to make a road or go by boat?
The most obvious is that you have arrived at the airport by another flight and are simply connecting for a final destination (or the reverse.) They may also be stopping points on a cycle of airports the plane runs around rather like a bus service.

Boat can easily involve a whole lot more pain time and expense than a plane. Even a small plane can cover a lot of ground in 15 minutes.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
In the case of the flight between Moorea and Tahiti, they're islands and it is not possible to make a road connecting the two. There is a ferry that goes both ways between Moorea and Tahiti that takes approximately 40 minutes so it is possible to go back and forth without flying.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
That's the shortest commercial flight I've been on. We just reached cruising altitude before starting our descent. But they did serve a snack.
I've done Blenheim to Wellington (or vice versa) several times. Very short hop plus you can lean into the aisle and see through the front windscreen. Although Samoa to Am Samoa is even better. You can tap the pilot on the shoulder and ask questions if you want.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:03 PM

Over water: Vancouver to Victoria Island - 25 minutes
Old 09-26-2016, 04:34 PM

Flew Chicago O'Hare to Milwaukee on a 737 a long time ago - it took much longer from the gate at O'Hare to the head of the runway at O'Hare than from the head of the runway at O'Hare to the gate in Milwaukee. I remember being in the air for what seemed like 5 minutes, but must have been a longer since the air distance is 67 miles.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
The very short Orkney flights are just stops on a circuit of the islands. No-one really commutes from Westray to Papa Westray (the really short one) by air, but if you want to travel between unadjacent islands, it's likely the quickest way.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:12 PM

Last month I flew from Doha, Qatar, to Bahrain, which is listed at 45 minutes on the schedule. There is neither a road bridge nor a ferry connecting the two countries, but it is possible to drive from one to the other in a day, through Saudi Arabia.

Fiji has two international airports, Nandi and Suva, and the flight connecting them is listed at 30 minutes.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-26-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:49 PM

I just found four scheduled flights a day, Belize to Caulker Cay, scheduled as 5 minute flights:

2:40 PM – 2:45 PM
Belize City (BZE) – Caye Caulker (CUK)
Moldavian Airlines 2160 · Cessna (Light)
Propeller plane
0h 05m
No Wi-Fi

Kind of a bummer with no Wi-Fi -- tough it out.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

There's an Air France flight (or used to be) from Basel, Switzerland to Mulhouse, France. Scheduled duration: 1 minute.

It's the same airport. The plane doesn't even leave the gate, it just turns into a French domestic flight that can therefore land at Paris Orly.

Unrelated: I never noted the time, but the Allegheny schedule once showed service between Northeast Philadelphia and Philadelphia International - with a change of planes in Pittsburgh.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I just found four scheduled flights a day, Belize to Caulker Cay, scheduled as 5 minute flights:

2:40 PM – 2:45 PM
Belize City (BZE) – Caye Caulker (CUK)
Moldavian Airlines 2160 · Cessna (Light)
Propeller plane
0h 05m
No Wi-Fi

Kind of a bummer with no Wi-Fi -- tough it out.
Props though to whoever thought of calling this outfit Moldavian Airlines.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
I flew the opposite way last month: Moorea to Tahiti on Air Tahiti. The flight took 10 minutes. That was the shortest regularly scheduled flight I have ever taken.
Must have been a headwind.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:16 PM

The world's shortest domestic flight is currently the mile-long journey from Westray to Papa Westray in Scotland's Orkey Islands, which can take as little as 47 seconds, depending on wind direction.

A bidding war over the route was settled in 2013, with the contract being awarded to Scottish airline Loganair, its current operator.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...#ixzz4LPI4powV
Article I cited on this resurrection.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Props though to whoever thought of calling this outfit Moldavian Airlines.
I think that's an error in whatever database that came from. A Belizean airline called Maya Island Air uses the code (2M) that used to be assigned to Moldavian Airlines.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
I don't think you will beat Westray to Papa Westray though!
Pilot asks the con-tower for permission to take-off.
Contower operator says "Yes", picks up a pair of binoculars and says "I can give you permission to land too"
Old 09-27-2016, 06:36 AM

That Belize flight can still be booked today at Kayak, under Tropic Air, listed as an 8-minue flight.

https://www.kayak.com/flights/BZE-CUK/2017-04-13
Old 09-28-2016, 10:25 AM

Back in the dim days of my childhood, TransTexas Airways used to offer service between what is now Hobby Airport in Houston and Galveston. Physical distance is about 40 miles, and even in the old DC3s they used to fly, it didn't take long.

And IIRC, Continental used to have an express service from Hobby up to Intercontinental. The flight would come into one or the other, then fly to the other, then fly out to wherever. This was jet service for a distance of 30 miles or so. I don't think it lasted for very long.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penultima thule View Post
Pilot asks the con-tower for permission to take-off.
Contower operator says "Yes", picks up a pair of binoculars and says "I can give you permission to land too"
The old "now entering..."/"now leaving..." one either side of city limits sign.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:05 AM

My entry is Toronto to Niagara-on-the-Lake. 32 miles from airport to airport over Lake Ontario.

This flight was offered because to take the trip by car requires you to drive around the lake (meaning about a 75 mile drive) and through massive traffic. The car trip can take 1.25 hours or 3 hours depending on the traffic situation.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
You can fly United Express from John Wayne (SNA) to LAX maybe 40 miles or so.
You can also catch a flight from LAX to Ontario, which despite the short distance can be shockingly pricey. You cannot, I don't believe, fly from Ontario to John Wayne.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:50 PM

A friend (now dead) recalled doing Miami to Key West, just being a giant hop, in an old DC-3.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:22 PM

The current KW to Miami flight is about 45 mins total.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

My favorite commercial flight that I have ever taken was through Nature Air in Costa Rica. They basically fly Twin Otters in a loop around Costa Rica from San Jose but you can buy a ticket to get on or off at any point. I was going from San Jose to Nosara on the Pacific Coast. That flight was 45 minutes in total but that was with two intermediate landings at other remote airports in the circuit. There was a grand total of four of us being ferried around to different stops but none of them took very long. I even had to use the bathroom badly on the second stop so the copilot/flight attendant just pointed me to the rainforest where I did my business and then got back on.

Here is what it looks like from the passenger seat if you like aviation or semi-exotic travel. I give it 5 stars. I am not sure what the shortest flight time between stops was but it could have only been a few minutes on a plane that isn't that fast.

As a bonus, my contracted shuttle ride didn't show up but the lone airport attendant had a 'friend' that could fix me up with a ride. He showed up in the most decapitated 90's era Toyota Camry that I have ever seen. The shocks were completely gone. I am fairly certain it had been recently been used to haul live-stock in the back seat where I sat but I will be damned if he couldn't use it just as well as a Jeep (off-road and on-road aren't clearly defined concepts in that area).

The point is, if you ever need to travel cross-country in Costa Rica, use Nature Air. They are very nice and professional and you get more than you pay for. I have been on paid thrill ride attractions much less exciting than that.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 10-01-2016 at 01:43 PM.