How to make crunchy and soft roast potatoes/pumpkin?

I started them off at 350 degrees but they weren’t browning on the outside so I turned it up to 400. After maybe an hour they were very soft but not crispy at all. I want them to be fairly crunchy on the outside and very soft inside. I heard that olive oil might help? Also I used a ceramic dish rather than a metal one.

deleted.

You are using the proper brown skinned russet aren’t you? Red skinned waxy potatoes will bake of course but you’ll never get the proper fluffy texture with them. Don’t use any dish at all, just set the spuds directly on the oven rack. A light touch of oil will help crisp the skin nicely but you’re much better off using too little than too much. Don’t use olive oil, use a higher temp corn/cannola/peanut oil instead. Bake at 400 for an hour. If you want, you can give them a head start by microwaving for a few minutes before finishing with the oven bake.

I’m used unpeeled “washed” potatoes. The skins look sort of whitish-yellow.

BTW does it make a difference about the amount of veggies with the cooking time? I had them piled about 2 veggies deep.

BTW they’re big potatoes and I cut them into pieces.

Pre-heat a deep sided and thick oven dish at 400 f (whatever that is)

Prepare the potatoes and par-boil for 10 minutes.
Drain the water off and leave them in the uncovered pan to steam off the residual water
Put lid on the pan and shake vigorously for a few seconds. (this breaks up the edges and helps produce crispy bits
Pour over a good slug of vegetable oil together with salt and pepper (should you choose) and give them another quick shake.
Tip into the pre-heated oven dish and return to the oven for 30-35 minutes.

keep checking them and turn with tongs to get an even roast as required

That method has done me well for 25 years and my roast potatoes get consistent high praise. Of course it works best with a floury potato but even waxy ones will benefit from this treatment.

That is a problem, they won’t roast properly like that. Ideally they should be a single layer with space around each spud.

I’m not familiar with “washed” potatoes. Roughly, where are you located if you don’t mind me asking?

Whitish-yellow skin sounds like a Yukon Gold or variant. Not a bad baker, better than the red skinned ones but a far cry from a proper russet. The advice I gave you still holds but you might want to check them after about 40 minutes as russet spuds tend to be larger than most. Also note that your just never going to get the proper crispy skin on these. They’re just not put together like that.

I want to stay anonymous. But anyway some potatoes come with dirt on them and others are “washed”.

I think there may a miscommunication here.

When the OP says “roast” potatoes do they mean these, or these.

My advice is for the former.

Yeah chopped roasted potatoes. Golden on the outside, white inside. But I’ve got skins on them to save time. Ideally I’d peel them.

This. Single layer in a baking dish. Any kind of cooking oil works as long as the oven is hot enough.

Good trick is to microwave them first for about 10 minutes, then stick in the oven in a pre heated baking dish and oil to crisp up.

BTW I’m using “floury” potatoes.

OK, keeping skins on can certainly work and it does give an alternative texture as well. Be aware that in certain households in the UK it could get you hung for witchcraft but them’s the risks.

Heat the oven to 425 put a metal pan with half a cup of peanut oil in the oven to get hot. Peel russet potatoes and wash. Wrap the russets in plastic wrap. Nuke them for 3 minutes on each side 6 mins total. Unwrap them and cut into fries. Now slide them into the hot peanut carefully! Put in oven and set timer for 12 mins. After 12 mins use tongs to flip the potatoes. Back in oven for 5-7 more mins. Season with pink salt. They will be the best oven fries you ever had guaranteed.

I am going to go with the Jamie Oliver recipe. I’ve done this with russet potatoes and they are truly fantastic.

I use average bagged brown potatoes. I cut each into 6-8 pieces, which is a large-mouthful size.

Put them in a baggie with salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and a healthy glug of canola oil. Shake it all up. Put it on an aluminum half sheet pan.

Put in oven at 425. Let bake 30 minutes. Take out of oven and stir around, exposing fresh surfaces. Bake another 30 minutes.

They always come out stellar for me, this way. Tender and steamy inside, crispy and salty outside.

Yep. Delia taught me that and I’ve been doing it for donkey’s years.

Use oil and parboil the potatoes first.