Book Series for a 7 year old?

It’s my nephew’s birthday coming up, and I have to get him a gift. Apparently, he just finished the Harry Potter series and liked it, so I’m trying to think of a series along those lines that he might enjoy. I’ve seen the first 2 Percy Jackson movies, and I wasn’t impressed (I haven’t read the books though – and maybe they’re too old for his age?). I have the first couple of Lemony Snickett books, and I like them, but when I bought them several years ago, they were really freaking expensive, but maybe that’s not the case anymore.

Any ideas for another series?

Big ups on your nephew for finishing Harry Potter at age 7. That’s very impressive. I was still reading Boxcar Children and Goosebumps at that age. Redwall?

Little House on the Prairie and Chronicles of Narnia are two that I first read around 3rd grade; he sounds like an advanced reader and should be able to handle them.

I’m an adult and loved the Percy Jackson books. It’s a five-part series, quite well done, and perfect for a Potter fan (I actually enjoyed these a little more than Harry Potter, YMMV of course).

Narnia is a great suggestion as well. And Redwall.

The Percy Jackson books are OK at best. They’re a fairly cheap ripoff of Harry Potter in most ways. It depends on how discerning the kid is.

Heh. Ninjaed by the other side.

My 7 year old reads the “Magic Treehouse” series, although if your nephew has already read the Harry Potter series he may be more advanced than the Magic Treehouse books.

Dating myself here, since I don’t belive they’re very popular anymore, but Beverly Cleary’s books.

In the movies, the satyr was really highly sexualized. Is it that way in the books?

He’s pretty sharp. I probably could have gotten through the first 3 books at that age, but I don’t know if I’d have made it through the longer ones.

I’ve never heard of Redwall. I’ll go look at the wiki.

I heartily recommend Kevin Crossley-Holland’s Arthur trilogy. Finely written and informative enough to be thoroughly enjoyable for adults.

Recommended for middle-schoolers and up, but if you’ve got a seven-year-old who’s read the whole Harry Potter series, reading level won’t be a problem. On the other hand, the books are fairly short, so your nephew will probably be done with them before the birthday cake is stale.

Start him on Terry Pratchett. Something easy to get into, like Mort or Guards! Guards!

It’s been awhile since I read the Discworlds. How G or PG rated is the content? HP levels of violence are okay, as is HP levels of romance, but his parents will throw a fit if the book has sexual content in it.

I just remembered. When I was a kid (30 something years ago), I read this series of books, but I can’t for the life of me remember the titles. There was a kid, who lived next door to a little old lady. And she had something like a potions kit or magic kit, and he got into wacky adventures because of that kit. I feel like she had a weird car too (but can’t remember). Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

Bedknobs and Broomsticks?

I didn’t notice that at all in the movies, but it is not that way in the books. There are a couple other series by that author too, one of which deals with Egyptian mythology instead, my son loved those. His pediatrician recommended Terry Brooks to us too, but we haven’t checked them out yet. For reference, my son is 10.

Hmmm. I wonder if LOTR is too advance for someone at an HP reading level. What do you guys think?

Unfortunately, that’s not it. It was a series of quite a few books and they were pretty thin, if I recall correctly.

Ok, that’s cool. Thanks for the info.

I’ll check that one out too. Thanks.

I highly recommend The Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan. This is still my son’s favorite series. He got to meet the author a couple years ago. Really nice man.

The Chronicles of Prydain. Still the series by which I judge all fantasy series.

If you want to be the coolest uncle in the world, get him Pokemon or Dragonball-Z. That’s what most little boys in the library read.

Second-coolest uncle:
Lego easy-reader books
Star Wars
Animorphs