PS3/Xbox One vs. previous generation consoles...

Hi a lot of games are now being released simultaneously for PS3, PS4, XBox 360 and XBox One. I was wondering what the difference is between the next gen and previous gen consoles… are the models and textures just more detailed? I guess you might only notice that if you get very close to things. Maybe the special effects are better? I heard that they might support 4k resolution.

For all of the previous generation consoles, there was a very noticeable jump in graphics quality from one to the next. e.g. the Atari 2600 then the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube… etc. Well maybe there isn’t so much of a difference between Gamecube and the Wii?

In Dead Rising 3 and Ryse for the Xbox One there are sometimes huge crowds of people… that is about the only difference I’ve really noticed so far.

I wonder if the loading times have improved… since there might be more model/texture data it might mean that overall the loading times are about the same…

BTW I’m aware that the Xbox One kinect sensor is far better than the 360 one.

BTW I was watching a PS4 walkthough of the Lego Movie video game and sometimes the shadows had flickering boundaries… i.e. they were a fairly low resolution texture. I thought that would never happen in a PS4 version of a game. BTW I thought GTA V had very impressive graphics even though it is a previous gen console. e.g. it had reflections in the water and also I think on wet roads, the cars had good environmental mapping, the people were very detailed, etc.

Maybe the PS4/Xbox One versions have better grass or something?

About PS3 vs PS4…
http://www.bobborries.com/GSI/PS4compare.png
CPU - 9 times faster
RAM - 16 times more
Video - 5 times faster
Video RAM - 4 times more
Bluray - 6 times faster

One thing to consider is that very late games on one console and very early games on the next gen are often in similar quality. It’s not until both consoles have matured that it’s fair to compare.

For example if you compare a launch title on ps1, say Ridge Racer

and compare it to a very late ps2 racing game like Gran Turismo 4

Big difference right? Ps2 clearly outclasses ps1. However if you compare a late ps1 game with a ps2 launch title, the graphics will be far more similar. See Ridge Racer Type 4 on ps1 vs Ridge Racer V on Ps2.

I think the PS4 and XB1 will do a great job surpassing current gen graphics, just not for a few years.

I think later games often have better graphics than earlier games but I don’t agree with them being similar quality between the transitions of the consoles.

http://cdn-static.gamekult.com/gamekult-com/images/photos/00/00/00/65/ridge-racer-v-screenshot-ME0000006538_2.jpg

It’s still quite obvious which is PS1 and PS2.

A lot of it is just high resolution textures that you can only see if you go up close… or if you compare screens side by side.

Never gonna happen. Some games can’t even do 1080P, and 4K quadruples the pixel count.

Here’s a video showing the differences between the PS3 and PS4 releases of Tomb Raider 2012. You’ll obviously need to watch the HD version to see the differences.

I don’t think there’s major jumps like back in the day going from an 8-bit to 16-bit system and the like. It’s more refinement of the images with deeper textures, better lighting, more realistic skin, more particles, stuff like TressFX, etc. And, as you mentioned, the increased power means you can draw and handle a lot more people or spaceships or airplanes at once.

I’m a PC owner so I don’t really have a dog in the next-gen console fight.

In the PS4 videos I’ve seen the grass doesn’t seem to be any better. Maybe it has higher resolution textures but it looks as polygonal/flat as PS3 grass.
PS3’s “Flower” has much better grass than normal games:

In normal games there are many blades of grass per polygon but in Flower I think there’d be many polygons per blade of grass.

I thought PS2 was about 720x480 and PS3 is often 1920x1080… that’s a factor of 6…

I don’t think it’s helpful to compare cross titles like that to determine what the system is capable of. Maybe one developer just cares more about grass than the other.

For your specific example though, I wasn’t overly impressed with the grass you showed but accepting for sake of argument that it’s “better”, it’s also within a very minimalistic environment of simple block buildings and not much else. Grass in TR2013 has to compete for resources with Lara Croft’s model, NPCs, much more realistically modeled buildings, other trees and vegetation, stray debris (crates, barrels, fences, lumps of trash, etc) a much more complex lighting system, etc. Newer systems allow you to put more components into the “whole” rather than just having a graphically simple game with nifty grass.

I don’t think you’ll see the full potential of the Xone/PS4 until developers can stop developing for the 360/PS3. Games are so expensive to make that they are pretty much required to release into the huge install base of the 360/PS3, even for brand new games. This way they can sell more copies of the games to make more money etc… Can’t really blame them for doing that either.

Until the previous generation starts breathing it’s dying breaths you’re going to continue to see next gen games where the differences are not in content or detailed graphics, instead you’ll see improvements that come from throwing old games on new hardware, MORE polygons, HIGHER resolution textures, FURTHER draw distances etc…

So far the games I’m playing on my PS4 have load times at least as long as the PS3, which blows. Don’t even mention MLB the Show 14. The load times on PS4 are longer than on the PS3/Vita. Really sucks.