Does Hillary Clinton still get Secret Service protection?

Hillary Clinton is no longer First Lady nor Secretary of State, and is not yet a declared Presidential candidate, so I’m wondering whether she still has Secret Service protection? :mad::mad::mad:

She showed up on ‘Good Morning America’ this morning to plug her new book and I wondered whether she just shows up alone or with the SS or with private security or what? If she does have SS still, why? As a tax payer I’m footing the bill and have a right to know.

For that matter, does Chelsea Clinton still get SS protection? What about the Bush Twins? What about Amy Carter?:smiley:

Barack got special consideration from the SS, getting protection from them before he was officially the nominee in 2008 because of all the death threats. Will Obama’s daughters get SS protection for the rest of their lives?:confused:

Former Presidents and their spouses get lifetime Secret Service protection. So, yes, Hillary still has it (unless she has declined it).

The children of former Presidents get protection for ten to fifteen years after the end of the presidency concerned. I suspect once they get to independent adulthood they usually decline it at some point; who wants a policeman living in their garage? But I don’t know if Chelsea Clinton or the Bush twins have declined it.

I thought that recently changed and the Clintons will be the last to get lifetime protection. Presumably W’s will run out at some point but I wouildn’t be surprised if a future Congress extends it.

From the secret service themselves:

Former presidents and spouses get lifetime protection.

Children of former presidents get protection until they’re 16.

So right now, the only formers getting protection are the Carters, Nancy Reagan, the Clintons, and both sets of Bushes. None of them have children under the age of 16.

There was a period where former presidents would only get 10 years of protection after leaving office, - George W was the first former president this applied to - but lifetime protection was reinstated by Congress earlier this year.

This is all by Federal law, so OP contact your Representative or Senator if you’re unhappy about it.

They recently changed it back.

Bolding added. By the way, the bit I boldfaced is nonsense. There’s all sorts of things for which you’re footing the bill “as a tax payer” that you’re not entitled to know. For example, I might like to see the contents of that warehouse at Area 51 but I can’t just show up there and and expect to be admitted.

If Hillary Clinton were to be elelected President, would Chelsea resume SS protection again then because she’s the child of the President? Or would she not, because she is over sixteen? And what about her soon to be born child which will be Hillary’s grandchild, will that kid get SS protection?:smack:

Did you read the link to the Secret Service page, above? It says “immediate family” of the president. Children are “immediate family”, so yes. The cut-off at age 16 is for former, not sitting presidents. It says that right on the page.

From the Secret Service FAQs.

No limit mentioned on how many generations are eligible.

So if children of Presidents get SS protection but grandchildren don’t, according to what you said, then if Hillary is elected you’ll have the situation of at Chelsea’s home, Chelsea get protected by SS but her husband and kid do not…so if an intruder breaks in, the SS will shield Chelsea but not the rest of her family?

Yes, that’s correct. The Secret Service will ignore the rest of the family even in the event of an active intruder.

In fact, because their mission is so vital they’re likely to use the husband as a human shield and throw the baby at the intruders to distract them.

However, once the kid hits toddler stage or beyond, standard Secret Service practice is to grab the kid, hold a gun to his/her head and threaten to shoot if the intruder doesn’t drop their weapon.

would the secret service protect obama’s dog bo from attack by another dog?

Of course. You’ve surely seen the pictures of a Secret Service agent throwing open his suit jacket and revealing an Uzi? Well, other agents can whip open their jacket and pull out one of those long poles with a loop on the end that dog catchers use. Another guy carries a butterfly net in case an encephalitic mosquito gets loose in the West Wing.

when jfk jr had his bike stolen as a kid the ss tracked down the culprits and beat them up

Richard Nixon in his later years actually dismissed his SS detail and hired his own bodyguards.

Nixon didn’t do that out of generosity to the American taxpayer, the Congress was about to cut off funds for protecting the disgraced resigned former President

I doubt you are more fiscally conservative as I, and I have no problem paying for former presidents and their families to be protected forever.

It may sound far fetched but lack of protection in the future could actually affect policy decisions. And in the scope of things the amount it costs is chump change.

Do you have a cite for this? Nixon dismissed his Secret Service protection in 1985. Why would Congress give him SS protection for 11 years after he left office, then suddenly cut off his protection? According to this article, he did dismiss his Secret Service guards because he felt it was a waste of taxpayers’ money to continue to protect an ex-President. The previous year, he discontinued the SS protection on his wife, Pat.