The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 06-02-2001, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

This was something Fred Sanford said the the episode "Lamont Goes African," after telling the Big Dummy that he that "that stuff went out with Conkoleen hair stuff."

Was/is there really some product called "Conkoleen?" (I've never seen the product, so I don't know how to say it.)
Advertisements  
Old 06-02-2001, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

I've definitely heard the term `conk' referring to the head, or more specifically, a `processed' hairdo. Now you've got me wondering not only whether there was a product, but which was named after which.
Old 06-02-2001, 10:10 AM

No Google hits at all for "Conkoleen".

One hit for "conk" having to do with hairstyles.

http://www.badfads.com/pages/fashion/conk.html

Quote:
The Conk originated in the 1920s and was stylized by entertainer Cab Calloway... [more]
Old 06-02-2001, 10:16 AM

My guess is that it is a jab at AfroSheen.
Old 06-02-2001, 10:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The Valmor Products Company of Chicago marketed stuff called "Gro-Strate" back in the 1920s-30s.

"BAD HAIR makes him sad and unattractive...UGLY HAIR spoils her pretty face...Then they both used Gro-Strate: SEE THESE RESULTS!...Now his hair is slick and HE IS HAPPY...Her hair is now straight and pretty and SHE IS LOVELY...NOW THEY ARE BOTH TOGETHER, THANKS TO GRO-STRATE."

Terry Zwigoff (director of the CRUMB documentary) wrote "The Valmor Story" in issue 18 of WEIRDO comics (1986). See also

http://www.luckymojo.com/luckyheart.html
Old 06-02-2001, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Actually, I think the Cab Calloway connection is getting close, although it (the product) might just be a made-up name. In the same episode, Fred is telling Lamont and his newly-Africanized friends (one of them portrayed by the lovely Paula Kelly) the in his (Fred's) younger days, he had had his hair "fried, dyed, and laid to the side, like Cab Calloway."
Old 06-02-2001, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

The reference you are looking for appears to be "congolene". The American Heritage dictionary recognizes it as the possible etymology for "conk".

From notes on John Lee Hooker's "Process":

Quote:
Note 1: process head, refers to the "marcel" hairstyle of deep waves made with a curling iron. It also refers to the "conk" style in which tightly curled hair is straightened using the chemical congolene (or should it be conkolene, according to Lionel Boyd) and then combed out. In the inner cities this is usually referred to as a comb and conk. African American men would usually have this done on a Thursday and then go to work on Friday wearing a bandana on their heads to keep their hair straight for the evening. the bandana is called a "do-rag". Thanks to Alan Wexler for this contribution.
http://blueslyrics.tripod.com/lyrics...er/process.htm