Allen Iverson's arm cover

Those of you who watch basketball will have noticed that Allen Iverson wears a white sleeve over one of his arms. I assumed that it was some sort of brace or pad because of an injury. Last night I was told that he is requested (required?) to wear it because he has a tattoo that is considered to be very offensive.

1. Is this true?
  2. If so, what is the nature of the tattoo?

Thanks,
Haj

I found this in a USA Today article about the different kinds of tattoos NBA players have. However, it’s from about two years ago, so things could’ve changed since then.

This article is only a couple of weeks old and mentions a couple of controversies Iverson has been at the center of, but not a tattoo one. FWIW.

Iverson wears the sleeve to provide additional protection for his elbow. (At least that’s why he started wearing it – it could be a good luck thing now.) He actually took the sleeve off during one of the games against the Bucks (Game 4 or 5, I think) when he was having a bad shooting night.

Here is a site that lists all of Iverson’s tattoos:

http://home.c2i.net/espurkel/tattoes.htm

His arm wrap could possibly be protecting new tattoos from getting damaged during play, although he has been wearing the wrap for quite some time. I suspect it is a fashion statement and not to protect his elbow, as the white one he wears is evidently just lycra and is unpadded.