How does one determine the intelligence of trees?

I don’t think they have nerve cells as we do nor a brain as we do. Is all their future behavior pre-programmed in their DNA?

I’ve been talking to my little dwarf cherry tree trying to inspire it to grow taller. No results yet but perhaps encouragement will work?:stuck_out_tongue:

In what sense could the concept of intelligence even be meaningful, as applied to a tree?

Can their DNA determine how much rain and/or sunshine they’re going to get?

I think a shot of Gibberellin would be a better idea…

I think you need to define what you mean by “intelligence.”

This one can be answered, however, taking “behavior” in a broad sense. Plants respond to stimuli such as light, gravity, water, nutrients, and damage to their tissues. These responses are the result of the production of plant hormones, growth factors, and other chemical signals.

A survey found that 85% of arborologists believe that oak trees are naturally more intelligent than maple trees, entirely due to their DNA.

Maybe what the OP is trying to get at is better expressed in terms of the amount of information in the DNA rather than the level of intelligence, although I suppose it depends on how you define intelligence.

You could say that trees have “behavior” in the sense of how they respond to changes in their environment.

Edited to add: Ninjaed by Colibri

Trees are smart, but they’re assholes. If you want it to grow, you have to make it think you want it to stay small. Even better, make it think you’re desperate for it to stay small.

Try this: when you water it, whisper things like “You’re so cute and small, please don’t ever change, never grow up, my lovely little tree”. But then, when you’re talking to your spouse/dog/invisible friend on the other side of the room, say something like this softly (but not too softly): “Thank god that tree is small… if the revolution comes, I can still take it hand-to-hand. But if it ever gets big, I’m worried about what will happen to this household!”.

That way the tree will think you’re afraid, and trees respond to nothing more than fear… and it will grow.

Just don’t turn your back.

Birches, moreover, are (with rare “savant-like” exceptions) the sylvan equivalent of drooling imbeciles.

Birch? Please.

only intelligent beings can communicate

only intelligent beings can kill for their own benefit

I find just the opposite as the maple treeis smart enough to form a symbiotic relationship with humans by producing a sweet substance that mankind desires and thus nurtures the tree to keep it healthy.

Oak is good for furniture.

I like oak myself. That’s what I have in my bedroom.How about you, Jimmie?
You an oak man?
Jimmie: Oak’s nice.

and they respond to the recorded sound of caterpillars feeding, increasing defenses
http://munews.missouri.edu/news-releases/2014/0701-plants-respond-to-leaf-vibrations-caused-by-insects’-chewing-mu-study-finds/

There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas

No tree (or cultivated plant) responds well to begging on the part of humans.

What may be useful is conveying an intent to cut down or dig up the poor performer if it doesn’t shape up. Or if it’s obviously dead, plant something else in that spot and watch it spring back to life.

It was also once thought that maple trees were genetically predisposed to be poor basketball players.

You need an Ent. An Ent would know.

The Larch.

Wise words from a wise person:

This video may help.