OOC/Setup Thread for SDMB D&D 5e PBP game

Acronyms ahoy! I’ll ask a mod to change the title of the thread to something more appropriate once the game has gotten going and I have a working title.

This is the Out of Character and setup thread for my 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons game.

The player list is as follows:

Johnny Angel (no relation)
Budget Player Cadet
Frylock
The Hamster King
Senor Beef

Those players who do not have the player’s handbook will have to download the Basic Rules, available here.

Posting Convention and Style Guide

The In Character thread, which does not yet exist, will be used for the vast majority of posting. Die rolls (explained below) and minor Out of Character comments should be put in spoiler boxes to cut down on clutter and keep things streamlined and nice looking. This thread will be used for more in-depth OOC stuff. I personally prefer third-person narrative for games like this but won’t kick you in the head if you want to use first person.

Dice Rolling

We’re going to use www.invisiblecastle.com for dice rolling. You don’t need an account to roll dice there, but I’d like everyone to create one because using an account opens up a little functionality and makes searching for result easier. When you use the site to roll, it will create BBpost code for you to copy/paste directly into the thread.

For example, Conan the Barbarian is rolling a d20 to hit. He goes to the site and fills out the appropriate fields (campaign name is not necessary, but the “notes” section is useful). After rolling, he’s able to post this to the thread:

attack (1d20=14) success!
damage (2d6=6).

I’m not going to be going and checking all your results to make sure you guys aren’t cheating or anything - at least not unless **SenorBeef **somehow winds up scoring max damage on every single hit for six combats in a row. :slight_smile: The nice thing about this system is that you can roll pretty much whenever you want. So if you think a charisma roll might be appropriate as part of one of your posts, you can do that and I can adjudicate the result more easily. This cuts down on the back and forth needed between you all and me. If this seems vague or confusing, I promise that it will make lots of sense once we start playing.

Character Creation

To start, I’d like everyone to decide what they’re going to play. There are 12 classes, and I’m going to set a hard limit of no more than one character per class.

Likewise, I’m going to strongly encourage but not outright enforce that you guys try and build a ‘classic’ D&D adventuring party. In my mind, that means Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue, Bard (or classes similar to these - sorcerer instead of wizard, etc). This isn’t a rule, though - just something I’d like to see happen.

The classes are as follows:

Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Warlock
Wizard

When everyone has hammered out what classes they want, we’ll move into the mechanics of creation. I expect you guys to talk it out.

With this being kind of a ‘classic’ campaign, I’m not going to start with a complicated setting. You all will start as a party of level 1 adventurers, sitting in a tavern, and a quest of some kind will present itself. A classic trope in what you can all assume to be a classic fantasy setting. You’ll start already formed as a group, though it’s up to you whether you’ve known the other characters for a long time or only for a little while.

I’m sure I missed some stuff, so feel free to ask questions. Meanwhile, start talking!

So like, no funny stuff, standard flavor for the classes, is what you’re saying?

For sub-classes, do you want the fighter not to go the battlemaster or eldritch knight routes? Or is that not what you meant?

Oh, do what you like for subclasses. I’m not ruling out any of the stuff in the book. I’m just saying that the overall theme, at least to start, is going to be strongly “classic fantasy.”

Here’s my class preference in order of greatest interest:

Cleric (I think the knowledge subclass looks interesting… I’m not sure if we’d need me to go life to be a dedicated healer, but I can do that)
Bard (Bard is a class I’m not really sure how works in D&D sort of context, but I’m willing to try) - I like using social influence and generally creative sort of problem solving, so it seems like bard may be a good fit.
Druid
Sorcerer
Ranger
Barbarian
Rogue
Warlock
Fighter
Paladin
Wizard
Monk

My top three preferences are:

Rogue
Barbarian
Ranger

However, I’m also open to playing a caster if other people feel strongly about it.

Battlemaster please.

Bard is my first choice, but I’m willing to play around with all kinds of concepts, or fill in any gaps. But it looks like we’ve got volunteers for cleric, rogue and fighter already, so even if Budget Cadet Player isn’t interested in playing Wizard, we’re still pretty well rounded.

Johnny Bravo, is it okay if we roll for stats?

Go for it. Make an account on the dice site and use that please. You get one shot at rolling. If you don’t like your results you can use the standard array from the book.

The method for rolling, by the way, is 4d6, keep the highest three. So under “number of rolls” input 6, and under “dice” input 4d6.takeHighest(3). You do have to capitalize the “H.”

The output will look like this:

4d6.takeHighest(3)=14, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=13, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=15, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=9, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=10, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=12

The standard array is 15, 14, 13, 12 10, 8.

Could you explain a little more about how you plan for this to work? You said you’d be posting three times a week, but wouldn’t you have to post to resolve every time we tried to interact with our enviornment, or a round of combat, etc? 3 times a week means a single combat could take weeks to resolve at that rate.

Anyway - general D&D advice needed. I kinda dig knowledge clerics, but as the only healer, would I still be capable enough to keep the group alive? Life clerics are much better healers, but then they’re pretty much strictly in that role, which is a little less interesting. I can do life if it’s necessary, but I’m wondering if a knowledge cleric could be an adequate group healer.

Here’s what I got: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4623447/

Taking the Human variant option, I’ll bump two stats and end up with this:

STR 10 (+0)
DEX 16 (+3)
CON 9 (-1)
INT 13 (+1)
WIS 8 (-1)
CHA 18 (+4)

I’ll take the Acolyte background. I’ll need to know something about the campaign setting to flesh that out. My human variant feat will be Skilled.

Skills:
B Acrobatics (Dex) +5
Animal Handling (Wis) -1
Arcana (Int) +1
S Athletics (Str) +2
S Deception (Cha) +6
History (Int) +1
A Insight (Wis) +1
S Intimidation (Cha) +6
Investigation (Int) +1
Medicine (Wis) -1
Nature (Int) +1
Perception (Wis) -1
B Performance (Cha) +6
B Persuasion (Cha) +6
A Religion (Int) +3
Sleight of Hand (Dex) +3
H Stealth (Dex) +5
Survival (Wis) -1

A = from Acolyte
B = from Bard
H = from Human variant
S = from Skilled feat

Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elvish

Starting cash: Loading...

x10 = 150

Trinket: Loading...

88 - A book of the rise and fall of a famous hero, with the last chapter missing.

The bard can help with healing, especially after gaining Song of Rest 2nd level. I’ll definitely pick up Cure Wounds, but Healing Word is also tempting. I think we have the flexibility to have you play the kind of cleric you want. But I won’t have proficiency in Medicine.

this site will help you build a spellbook for reference since the giant list of alphabetized spells can be clunky.

Waiting on Budget Player to decide if he’s okay being our caster, so then we’ll be locked into our classes. I’ll take another look at the cleric domains and make a decision about that and roll a character later today.

Anyone have any trouble registering for the roll site? They said they were sending me a confirmation e-mail and it never arrived. I’ll try with a different e-mail address later.

Nice. I am working on a spreadsheet, but it’s slow work with a toddler to mind. And the spell part will be its own headache.

I had the same problem. I signed up yesterday afternoon and I still haven’t received confirmation.

Are you still looking for players? I see you have five, is that the limit you want? If not I’d like to join.

It’s true that the pacing of a PbP game is going to be much slower than one played on a tabletop. Combat can take an awfully long time if we try to do it completely by the book, so some amount of it will likely be abstracted. Sometimes I might also allow you guys to roll several rounds of combat at a time, using the die rolling site for both you and whomever you’re fighting. We’ll work it out as we go.

Gospel - we are full, yes. Sorry. :frowning:

Hey, saw this for the first time. Didn’t think we were starting right away. Just got off the plane, have to get my girl moved into my house. And then I still have to look over the rules. Gospel can take my place.

Someone in the interest thread was ahead of Gospel as far as being a replacement, but I don’t think we’re in too much of a rush if you need a bit of time. We’d just have to confirm interest in what class you’d want to play.