What bikes can you ride without a license ?

Between New Hampshire and Massachusetts what motor bikes can be road driven without a license?

Here’s the MA laws on mopeds - http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/license/7moped.htm

I’m not sure you can operate anything with a motor on the roads without a valid operators license.

ETA: Yup, you need a license for any moped - http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/mcmanual/MotorcycleManual.pdf

I know that in Missouri you can drive a bike with an engine size of 50 cc’s or less without a license plate on it. However you still need a driver’s license. Also you can’t drive them on Interstates and other limited access roads.

Here in Indiana, you can ride a moped/scooter that is less than 50cc without a license or plate. They are very popular among people who have lost their license due to multiple DUIs…in fact, if you ride a scooter, people pretty much assume you’re a drunk.

In Virginia, you do not need a driver’s license to operate a moped, but you have to be 16, and aren’t allowed to operate a moped on a interstate. Even though you don’t need a driver’s license, if you have lost your driver’s license due to certain alcohol-related convictions, there are conditions you have to meet before operating a moped.

Bicycle with electric motor?

Me personally, if it has an engine and wheels or tracks, I can drive it, With the exeption of diesel-electric locomotives. Steam locomotives, I have done.

Oh, you mean LEGALLY! Never mind then.

By “license”, do you mean without a driver’s license at all, or with a driver’s license but without an explicit motorcycle qualification on that driver’s license?

Most electric bikes, maybe even all electric bikes.

In Oklahoma, you can drive a 66/80 cc motorized bicycle w/o a license.

In Oregon, you can ride a motorized bicycle without a license if it meets ALL of the following requirements:

1. The size of the motor must be less than 33cc (gas) or 1000W (electric).
  2. The top speed without pedaling, on level ground, must not exceed 20 mph.
  3. It must be designed to carry just one person.
  4. It must be designed to travel with fewer than 4 wheels touching the ground at the same time.
  5. It must have functional pedals.

Frequently you’ll see people selling mopeds which meet most of those 5 requirements, but not all, and claiming that you don’t need a license to ride it. Those people are wrong.

There is another category of vehicle which you can technically ride without a license in Oregon. It’s called a motor-assisted scooter. But if you’ve lost your license (e.g. because of a DUI) then this doesn’t do you any good because the law specifies that to ride a motor-assisted scooter you must be ELIGIBLE for a license and meet all the same requirements as people who actual get a driver’s license. The only case I can think of where this helps is if you have personal reasons for not wanting your name in the DMV database.

FWIW, motor-assisted scooters must have all of the following features:

1. The size of the motor must be less than 33cc (gas) or 1000W (electric).
  2. The top speed without pedaling, on level ground, must not exceed 15 mph.
  3. It must be designed to carry just one person.
  4. It must be designed to travel with fewer than 4 wheels touching the ground at the same time.
  5. It must be capable of being propelled by pushing the ground with your foot without using the motor.

Also, it is illegal to ride a motor-assisted scooter on a street where the posted speed limit is higher than 25 mph, so that’s pretty useless.

In the town where I live, it’s illegal to ride either a motorized bicycle or a motor-assisted scooter on a bike path unless you switch off the motor.

In a lot of smaller cities, that applies to public transportation, too. The only people who ride a bus are the ones ineligible (for some reason) for a driving license, and if they seem physically fit, drunk driving wins by default.

Now you know why all those scooters are 49cc instead of 50, as gawd and Honda decreed.