History Channel's "Curse of Oak Island"

I hadn’t heard of this show, but I randomly found it on the Internet and ended up watching it. For anyone who hasn’t seen it, it’s about brothers Marty and Rick Lagina spending excessive amounts of money trying to solve the mystery of the Oak Island Money Pit (Cecil’s article, Wikipedia, CSICOP article).

It’s certainly not from a skeptical standpoint, as the producers seem to believe everything that’s ever been said about the Money Pit, including such ludicrous details as the flood tunnels and connections to the Knights Templar and William Shakespeare, and a few that I had never even heard of like the idea that the pit was originally dug solely as a red herring to distract from the real hiding place of the treasure. The Norwegian “Tree of Life” guy was an especially dumb connection to bring in.

However, it was enjoyable to watch if only because the people in it are fun, and many of their attempts to find evidence of the treasure actually make sense. There are also skeptical viewpoints on the show, even if they are muted. I especially liked one bit where Rick and Dave are sorting through some of the muck dredged up from 10X, and Rick keeps pulling out little pieces of junk to Dave’s derision. “'It ain’t, it ain’t, it ain’t. Why do you keep saying that?” “…'Cause it ain’t.” The show would be a lot more fun if it focussed on the people more and told the narrator (and Norwegian conspiracy theorists) to go home.

In five episodes, they made a total of two interesting discoveries, although they were very interesting. They found coconut fiber in Smith’s Cove, which was apparently verified both to really be coconut fiber, and dated to be from between AD 1260 and 1400. They completely ignore the fact that that puts it at least 100 years before the European discovery of America, which to me is even more interesting, especially since that date range doesn’t fit with any reasonable theory I’ve heard as to what (if anything) was put in the Pit. Of course, they also found only a couple of small tufts of the fiber, despite the claim that the entire cove was once covered in the stuff to act as a filter for the “flood tunnels.”

Their more substantial find was a copper Spanish coin from around the 1600’s. Of course, this wasn’t found in or near the Money Pit; it was found buried in a few feet of muck in a swamp. All that proves is that a Spaniard was on the island at some point and lost his pocket change, and that’s assuming it wasn’t planted, which is also possible (though if I were going to plant evidence, I would have done it in the muck they were dredging out of 10X, not the swamp). Regardless, it is certainly interesting.

I still tend to believe that the Money Pit is nothing more than a sinkhole with good advertising, but the show was a fun watch and I’ll check it out when it comes back next month. Anybody else watch it?

From now on we shall refer to it as, The “History Channel”

Reminds me of Jack Donaghy’s line, “I remember when Bravo showed operas”.

Meh, we crossed that bridge with “Ancient Aliens”

I think the coconut fiber came from a coconut that was carried there, likely by a migrating bird.

A European swallow or an African swallow perhaps.

Previous thread:

I watched a bit of the show when it originally aired but it was just too absurd for me to stick with. I’ve been fascinated by the Oak Island story since I first read about it as a kid in the 70’s, but it appears to be a naturally occurring sinkhole, which are common on the island. This is a good article that points out problems with the various newspaper accounts, etc. over the years.
http://www.criticalenquiry.org/oakisland/

I first heard about Oak Island from a documentary/travalogue TV show on in the 60s. It all sounded fascinating at the time, but it must have been 10 years later that I found any more information about it and it’s nature as a legend lacking credibility, or possibly an intentional hoax. I think it’s mostly likely everything found in the hole was left by previous fortune hunters, or deliberately planted. It makes for a good story though.

That’s a little unfair. It is a channel.

I’ve been interested in The Money Pit legend since I first read about it as a kid in the 70s. I think the first documentary ever done on it was an episode of the old In Search Of… series hosted by Leonerd Nimoy (also in the mid-70s). I can’t remember the link’s address but there’s a really good site that does an almost perfect job of debunking every single aspect of it thru a logical & common sense approach. A kill-joy I know, but it convinced me the whole thing was never anything more than a legend that got ridiculously out of hand…

We just had a longish discussion here about Oak Island. Like others, I was fascinated by the stories told around the 1970s and the then-current explorations.

I’ve become pretty convinced it was all a hoax, gullibility, self-delusion in the paranormal/UFO mode, and then so cemented into “reality” that it became generally accepted as real - so much smoke, etc.

The copper coin doesn’t even prove it was a Spaniard on the island. Anyone could have had a coin and Spanish money was quite widespread.

Who found the coin would be interesting. Anyone could claim to have found it there to further their interest in continuing the attention on a hole in the ground.

They filmed the finding of the coin, which involved the use of a metal detector in the swamp. It could have been planted, but it definitely came out of the muck of an Oak Island swamp.

Part of me wonders if a producer might have put it there after the crew decided to take a metal detector to the swamp, because they needed a good season finale.

See, that’s how easy it is. Once a location becomes a ‘mystery location’ you can’t trust what is found there. A camera doesn’t add credibility, it just adds an incentive to plant something.

African swallows are not migratory. I can’t believe no one’s called you on this already! :eek:

Oops! Sorry, didn’t read your previous post. Pretty sure that’s the site I was referring to. And what’s this about a Spanish coin? I had always heard that the only ‘treasure’ that was ever found was a tiny link of gold chain on one of the hole boring bits. One of the most interesting *facts *regarding the story is that a young FDR actually spent a summer as part of a treasure hunting crew on the island…

I came here to mention In Search of… Almost everything I know about Oak Island came form seeing that episode over and over again as a kid.

The links of chain, along with the “two million pounds” stone tablet, disappeared at some point, and it’s plausibly suggested that they never really existed. Regardless, the coin (screenshot I found) found on the show is officially the most valuable thing ever found on the island. A few million more dollars worth of treasure and this operation might start showing a profit!

Do they have a dating on that coin?

I mean its a neat find but no more so than if you found it on a beach in South Carolina. Any sailor could have dropped it while visiting the island. Heck, any of the original lads’ who claimed to have found the pit could have dropped it there.

I was hoping for some kind of official authentication of the coin, but nothing of the sort was mentioned. Carbon dating metal is impossible due to lack of organic material.

Not that proving it’s a real 16th century Spanish coin would prove anything about the Money Pit. As you said, anyone could have brought it to the island, not the mention the fact that it wasn’t found anywhere near the Pit.