You drink mixed drinks & you're out of mix. Worst combination you've ever tried?

Def. scotch and grape pop from the gas station vending machine. :eek:

Worst? When I asked for a gin and tonic from my future father-in-law. He had no tonic, so he used Bitter Lemon. Ten-year-old Bitter Lemon, from a bottle, so it was completely flat (the gin also wasn’t the best – he only kept it on hand because you needed to have a bottle of in just in case). It was awful. I took two sips and gave up.

If the Bitter Lemon were fresh, I might have liked it – it was my favorite soda as a kid – but that and the old gin (and there was probably too much of it) made it into a disaster.

Ever drink the Bitter Lime? I loved those as a kid, and AFAICT they haven’t been made for a long time. Bitter Lemon was… the mild version.

As to the OP - I don’t drink mixed drinks. Okay, once in a while on vacation I’ll have something like a margarita. But my rule has always been “drink it straight or don’t drink it.”

I’ve mentioned this one before: gin and cream soda.

Bourbon and KoolAid. Would not try again.

This, except it was at an SF convention. I was informed the cocktail is called a Purple Passion. Add some milk, and you have a Purple Cow.

Of course, by that time I was really too drunk to care! :o

It was an open bar, and they had run out of everything else! :frowning:

Between that and the scotch/grape soda, I can feel a vomit coming on…

Well, we ran out of sweet vermouth, so the last few manhattans became whiskey, neat. But that might not be what you are looking for.

This reminds me of a “game” I used to play with my brother when we were 10-12: we would take turns mixing every liquid or semi-liquid item that we could find in the fridge even harissa or garlic paste (no alcohol, though) and serve the concotion to the other. The goal was to drink it all up, no matter how bad it was.

Surprisingly, no matter how hard we tried, we always ended up with something that was more or less drinkable so there was no winner.

Except when we added strawberry flavoured milk. It made everything absolutely vile, so much so that we finally decided to ban it as it was kind of cheating.

Screwdrivers made with orange-flavoured water instead of orange juice. Also, orange-flavoured water mixed with cheap brandy.

One time in a bar I had an improvised drink made of rum and pineapple juice. Not bad, actually.

It was years before I could drink gin or cream soda again.

Anything anise or mint flavored mixed with anything else. Even in drinks where it is supposed to be there. A stinger, for example, is just a way to ruin perfectly good brandy. A rye sazerac would actually be good without the absinthe polluting it (and I like absinthe).

While I like craft cocktails when I go out, at home, I have very low standards (orange soda & tequila? check. cream soda & bourbon? better than it ought to be.)

There’s a kitschy place near me that uses Tang in some of their drinks and they’re ok. I didn’t have Tang. I did have orange-colored Gatorade powder. Orange-colored Gatorade does not mix well with vodka.
I didn’t have high hopes, but I didn’t expect it to be that bad, either.

That’s a tossup between Canadian Club and Tahiti Treat or Bailey’s and 7-Up. Barfing ensued shortly after both…

Sounds good! I’ve always wanted to concoct a tropical cocktail and christen it a “Gilligan’s Island.”

I’ve tried mixing Southern Comfort with both Jim Beam and Jack Daniel’s. I call the former a “Robert E Lee” and the latter a “JEB Stuart.” :cool:

A to me awful-sounding combination, which I heard about from an acquaintance at university – seemingly made and consumed from choice, rather than in desperation. Have never dared actually to try it myself. One element is Lucozade – one of the earliest “sports-energy” drinks, has been around in the UK for most of a century – don’t know whether it’s known in America. Glucose-based, fizzy or at least sparkling. Lucozade - Wikipedia

The “cocktail” concerned, consists of equal quantities of Lucozade and brandy. The guy said that it had an “explosive purgative” effect – whence the name coined for it, the Brandy-Crapper.

Isn’t that a pretty standard combination? At least in the Mai-Tai/pseudo-Tiki kind of bar world?

Many of the comments in here confirm part of the reason I persist in being a “straight or nothing” drinker and admiring same - I simply can’t see alcohol as something you drink only when you basically can’t tell it’s alky, even to the point of mixing it with goopy stuff like kool-aid in desperation to drink without drinking. Drinking only highly flavored/disguised alcohol (at any cost, and let’s face it, booze in kool-aid or fruity soda is a pretty high cost) would seem to be a far more dangerous practice than other supposed alcoholic gateways…

Those two ingredients are the base for a lot of tropical cocktails that have a dash or this or that added for color or flavor.

A little creme de coconut, some galiano, juice from the cherries jar, a splash of 99 bananas, a pineapple garnish, umbrella, mmmmm.