Old 11-18-2014, 08:32 AM

You drink mixed drinks & you're out of mix. Worst combination you've ever tried?

Def. scotch and grape pop from the gas station vending machine.
Advertisements  
Old 11-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Worst? When I asked for a gin and tonic from my future father-in-law. He had no tonic, so he used Bitter Lemon. Ten-year-old Bitter Lemon, from a bottle, so it was completely flat (the gin also wasn't the best -- he only kept it on hand because you needed to have a bottle of in just in case). It was awful. I took two sips and gave up.

If the Bitter Lemon were fresh, I might have liked it -- it was my favorite soda as a kid -- but that and the old gin (and there was probably too much of it) made it into a disaster.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 11-18-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
If the Bitter Lemon were fresh, I might have liked it -- it was my favorite soda as a kid...
Ever drink the Bitter Lime? I loved those as a kid, and AFAICT they haven't been made for a long time. Bitter Lemon was... the mild version.

As to the OP - I don't drink mixed drinks. Okay, once in a while on vacation I'll have something like a margarita. But my rule has always been "drink it straight or don't drink it."
Old 11-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

I've mentioned this one before: gin and cream soda.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:50 AM

Bourbon and KoolAid. Would not try again.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
Def. scotch and grape pop from the gas station vending machine.
This, except it was at an SF convention. I was informed the cocktail is called a Purple Passion. Add some milk, and you have a Purple Cow.

Of course, by that time I was really too drunk to care!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:18 AM

It was an open bar, and they had run out of everything else!
Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I've mentioned this one before: gin and cream soda.
Between that and the scotch/grape soda, I can feel a vomit coming on...
Old 11-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Well, we ran out of sweet vermouth, so the last few manhattans became whiskey, neat. But that might not be what you are looking for.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
... Add some milk, and you have a Purple Cow.
This reminds me of a "game" I used to play with my brother when we were 10-12: we would take turns mixing every liquid or semi-liquid item that we could find in the fridge even harissa or garlic paste (no alcohol, though) and serve the concotion to the other. The goal was to drink it all up, no matter how bad it was.

Surprisingly, no matter how hard we tried, we always ended up with something that was more or less drinkable so there was no winner.

Except when we added strawberry flavoured milk. It made everything absolutely vile, so much so that we finally decided to ban it as it was kind of cheating.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:37 AM

Screwdrivers made with orange-flavoured water instead of orange juice. Also, orange-flavoured water mixed with cheap brandy.

One time in a bar I had an improvised drink made of rum and pineapple juice. Not bad, actually.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Between that and the scotch/grape soda, I can feel a vomit coming on...
It was years before I could drink gin or cream soda again.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:55 AM

Anything anise or mint flavored mixed with anything else. Even in drinks where it is supposed to be there. A stinger, for example, is just a way to ruin perfectly good brandy. A rye sazerac would actually be good without the absinthe polluting it (and I like absinthe).
Old 11-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

While I like craft cocktails when I go out, at home, I have very low standards (orange soda & tequila? check. cream soda & bourbon? better than it ought to be.)

There's a kitschy place near me that uses Tang in some of their drinks and they're ok. I didn't have Tang. I did have orange-colored Gatorade powder. Orange-colored Gatorade does not mix well with vodka.
I didn't have high hopes, but I didn't expect it to be that bad, either.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:05 PM

That's a tossup between Canadian Club and Tahiti Treat or Bailey's and 7-Up. Barfing ensued shortly after both...
Old 11-18-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
One time in a bar I had an improvised drink made of rum and pineapple juice. Not bad, actually.
Sounds good! I've always wanted to concoct a tropical cocktail and christen it a "Gilligan's Island."

I've tried mixing Southern Comfort with both Jim Beam and Jack Daniel's. I call the former a "Robert E Lee" and the latter a "JEB Stuart."
Old 11-18-2014, 12:47 PM

A to me awful-sounding combination, which I heard about from an acquaintance at university -- seemingly made and consumed from choice, rather than in desperation. Have never dared actually to try it myself. One element is Lucozade -- one of the earliest "sports-energy" drinks, has been around in the UK for most of a century -- don't know whether it's known in America. Glucose-based, fizzy or at least sparkling. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucozade

The "cocktail" concerned, consists of equal quantities of Lucozade and brandy. The guy said that it had an "explosive purgative" effect -- whence the name coined for it, the Brandy-Crapper.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Isn't that a pretty standard combination? At least in the Mai-Tai/pseudo-Tiki kind of bar world?

Many of the comments in here confirm part of the reason I persist in being a "straight or nothing" drinker and admiring same - I simply can't see alcohol as something you drink only when you basically can't tell it's alky, even to the point of mixing it with goopy stuff like kool-aid in desperation to drink without drinking. Drinking only highly flavored/disguised alcohol (at any cost, and let's face it, booze in kool-aid or fruity soda is a pretty high cost) would seem to be a far more dangerous practice than other supposed alcoholic gateways...

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 11-18-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Isn't that a pretty standard combination? At least in the Mai-Tai/pseudo-Tiki kind of bar world?
Those two ingredients are the base for a lot of tropical cocktails that have a dash or this or that added for color or flavor.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
A little creme de coconut, some galiano, juice from the cherries jar, a splash of 99 bananas, a pineapple garnish, umbrella, mmmmm.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:30 PM

My cousin used to mix Red Bull and Johnny Walker Red Label. It was about as foul as it sounds. One I did like was scotch with ice cubes made from Coconut Water.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:59 PM

The most recent drink I improvised was vodka and apple soda, at a con I attended a few weeks ago. Not bad. I wasn't desperate enough to add vodka to Kool-aid, however.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:15 PM

Vodka and diet creme soda. He was a good friend and it was his booze, so I held my tongue.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:24 PM

At my girlfriend's 21 year old birthday party thrown at an American Legion Hall. Ran out of everything but gin and red Hawaiian Punch. It was nasty but we drank it any way. Cuz booze!
Old 11-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post

Many of the comments in here confirm part of the reason I persist in being a "straight or nothing" drinker and admiring same - I simply can't see alcohol as something you drink only when you basically can't tell it's alky, even to the point of mixing it with goopy stuff like kool-aid in desperation to drink without drinking. Drinking only highly flavored/disguised alcohol (at any cost, and let's face it, booze in kool-aid or fruity soda is a pretty high cost) would seem to be a far more dangerous practice than other supposed alcoholic gateways...
Well, in my case, it was new student week at college, so I hand't fully developed my alcoholic taste buds quite yet. So that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. I'm not quite of the extreme of "straight or nothing," though. A well-crafted gin and tonic, or an old fashioned, manhattan, sidecar, sazerac, etc., are all wonderful drinks in their own right and do not hide the alcohol.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:30 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

I've mentioned this before, but Jose Cuervo and Diet Dr. Pepper. Jose Cuervo is not a good tequila to drink straight, it was the only alcohol in the house, my parents were out of margarita mix, and the only possible mixer in the house was the Dr. Pepper. In my defense, I really needed a drink as I had come home from college for spring break to my childhood cat that would have to be put down in a few days.

And a vodka and a cream soda could be good. There's a lot of flavored vodkas out there and the vanilla ones aren't too bad.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
And a vodka and a cream soda could be good. There's a lot of flavored vodkas out there and the vanilla ones aren't too bad.
Yeah, vodka and cream soda doesn't sound so bad. But, really, vodka plus anything shouldn't be bad, just an alcoholized version of the mixer.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 PM

bacardi and black currant cordial. I threw up black. And for quite some time.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacFly View Post
Vodka and diet creme soda. He was a good friend and it was his booze, so I held my tongue.
I can't lie. I've had this. I like diet cream soda once in a while. I like vodka. It was what I had. It was okay.

Once I mixed rye (whiskey) with chocolate milk. Twasn't bad! I've had it again since.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:06 PM

You drink mixed drinks & you're out of mix. Worst combination you've ever tried?

Tomato juice and rum do not a Bloody Mary make. But you might think they will if you're drunk (or desperate) enough.

I hope to never be either again.

Last edited by joyfool; 11-18-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:27 PM

How is vanilla vodka not like drinking vanilla extract? I'm gagging slightly just imagining the stuff.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:26 PM

Gin and Dr Pepper. Absolutely nasty.

When I tended bar, I used to have a customer whose drink of choice was Chivas and diet Coke. I almost had to hold my nose when mixing it.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfool View Post
Tomato juice and rum do not a Bloody Mary make. But you might think they will if you're drunk (or desperate) enough.

I hope to never be either again.
Apparently, this is a drink called a "bloody pirate" (usually with dark rum, if the internet is to be believed). Would never occur to me to even try this. That said, put in tequila for the vodka, and you've got a decent bloody mary variation. (And the other bloody mary ingredient for both, of course.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-18-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

I had some Baileys and I had some Chambord and I thought I'd mix them together and make raspberry-flavored irish cream.

I discovered that the acidity in Chambord causes the dairy in Baileys to coagulate. And a drink filled with lumps looks as bad as it sounds and tastes as bad as it looks.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I had some Baileys and I had some Chambord and I thought I'd mix them together and make raspberry-flavored irish cream.

I discovered that the acidity in Chambord causes the dairy in Baileys to coagulate. And a drink filled with lumps looks as bad as it sounds and tastes as bad as it looks.
Believe it or not, this concept (curdling the dairy in Baileys or similar cream liqueurs) is a thing. You've basically created a variation of a "bloody brain" or "cement mixer" cocktail. But, yeah, they're kind of disgusting.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Believe it or not, this concept (curdling the dairy in Baileys or similar cream liqueurs) is a thing. You've basically created a variation of a "bloody brain" or "cement mixer" cocktail. But, yeah, they're kind of disgusting.
Yes, I looked it up when it happened and learned this. That's why I was willing to at least give it a chance and try a sip.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:29 AM

Imitation maple syrup and seltzer. I almost threw up.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:45 AM

Hot pepper flavored vodka and Diet Coke did not work.

Not that I thought it would.

mmm
Old 11-19-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
Once I mixed rye (whiskey) with chocolate milk. Twasn't bad! I've had it again since.
Along those lines, I once mixed a chai tea latte with whiskey. Unlike you, I did not enjoy the experience.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boffking View Post
Imitation maple syrup and seltzer. I almost threw up.
Back in the USSR, you could get this from vending machines for two kopeks. You had to rinse out the communal glass and put it back when you were done.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Back in the USSR, you could get this from vending machines for two kopeks. You had to rinse out the communal glass and put it back when you were done.
In Soviet Russia, machine vends you!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:59 AM

Hawaiian Punch and Everclear. It was college, that is the only thing I can say.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
That's not too far from Irish cream. You just needed a little coffee in the mix.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Cuz booze!
I can remember 2 contenders for the title from my misspent college years.

The first was a ghastly combination of red Gatorade and 151 proof Bacardi, that a friend of mine swore took effect faster due to the hydrating action of the Gatorade. In retrospect, the 151 part is probably what made us drunk faster, but it didn't have the "scientific analysis" behind it.

The second was a combination of vodka and what we called the "Apple Funk". This was the result of a filched homebrewing kit and a drunken evening when a friend of mine (not the 151/Gatorade guy) and I decided we could make our own cider (after too many Woodchucks), and proceeded to make ours out of about a dozen cans of frozen apple concentrate and all the white and brown sugar, molasses and maple syrup in his parents' house (his dad was a dept. head at the university). It was fermented in some other guys we knew's closet with champagne yeast (we actually bought that) for a couple of months, and then bottled in dubious conditions by the guys who lived in the house.

Long story short, it was DRY... like absolutely no hint of sweetness, and not much in the way of sweet-smelling esters. Probably about 8% ABV, I'd guess, and distinctly funky due to the indifferent fermentation conditions. It also tended to give blinding headaches if you drank too much of it.

Mixing that with vodka was just bad. It just added a pronounced alcohol burn to it.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

All cider will ferment out dry, especially with champagne yeast. Some people fix that by back sweetening it with apple concentrate when serving. Or in the keg if you're force-carbonating. I'm guessing yours was probably a good bit higher than 8% with all the additional fermentables. Plus it could a good year before it really loses its "greenness."
Old 11-19-2014, 10:49 AM

One Sunday I took the g/f to brunch and I really wanted a bloody Mary. However the place we went to only served beer which I decided to mix V8 (hot and spicy version).

Yuck... don't do this.. it was awful

Last edited by Lukeinva; 11-19-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:50 AM

I once left a jug of fresh, unfiltered apple juice in the trunk of a car over a weekend. When I took it out on Monday morning it had fermented nicely. No additives at all, just apple juice!

This was in the Midwest in October. Lord knows what it would have been like if I'd left it there in July or August!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeinva View Post
One Sunday I took the g/f to brunch and I really wanted a bloody Mary. However the place we went to only served beer which I decided to mix V8 (hot and spicy version).

I'm pretty sure there's a name for this cocktail, but I don't remember what it is.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

That's actually really good. It's basically a version of the Michelada or a red eye, one of my favorite summer drinks. Needs some lime and Worcestershire, though. Maybe even some hot sauce.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-19-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:

I LOVE me a Michelada!!!!!