Old 11-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

"Cheers" was an Autistic child's dream. (Possible spoilers of old 80s shows).

So was "Frasier".

Exhibit A: A clip from "St. Elsewhere" where the doctors visited a Boston bar name "Cheers" where Carla insults the doctors, Cliff tries to get free medical advice, and Norm is Dr. Auschlander's former accountant who got him in trouble with the IRS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhCyXui0e_Q

Exhibit B: The finale of St. Elsewhere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAOVxqg49DQ

This link: http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2...-universe.html
claims that hundreds of shows are affected by this.
Quote:
The show did numerous crossover episodes where characters from one series appeared on St. Elsewhere or vice-versa. Crossing Jordan, Cheers, Boston Public, Chicago Hope, The Bob Newhart Show, M*A*S*H, and Homicide: Life on the Street are among the shows where this happened.
It has a link to a site that supposedly documents the links between the shows but unfortunately it's a dead link.

So how were these various other shows affected by this and what other shows were affected?

If "The Bob Newhart Show" really is connected, that adds a whole new layer involving "Newhart".

Last edited by twickster; 11-28-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: replaced first link at OP's request
Advertisements  
Old 11-28-2014, 11:25 AM

What does this have to do with an autistic child's dream?
Old 11-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Did you look at the links?
Old 11-28-2014, 11:32 AM
"Superstar"

That is truly the unintended consequence of St Elsewhere's ending. However, one could argue Cheers and their staff and customers were real and maybe somewhere the family went, that he integrated into his fantasy.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 11-28-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:33 AM

The autistic kid could have visited the Cheers bar and incorporated that in his snowglobe fantasy.

ETA: Or what IvoryTD said a minute before me.

Last edited by Biggirl; 11-28-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
What does this have to do with an autistic child's dream?
It's Tommy Westphall's World, and we're just living in it. Actually, if you do a search on Tommy Westphall and/or St. Elsewhere you will find we've covered this topic many times before.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Wow. My links really got messed up. The first one was supposed to be this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhCyXui0e_Q

It's too late for me to edit it. Maybe a mod can fix it.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

And it's no longer Tommy Westphall's World-It is now Tommy Westphall's Universe, it seems.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
This link: http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2...-universe.html
claims that hundreds of shows are affected by this.
375 at current count.
Quote:
So how were these various other shows affected by this and what other shows were affected?
Here's a starting point, no idea how accurate it is.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-28-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
That is truly the unintended consequence of St Elsewhere's ending. However, one could argue Cheers and their staff and customers were real and maybe somewhere the family went, that he integrated into his fantasy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
The autistic kid could have visited the Cheers bar and incorporated that in his snowglobe fantasy.
Sure, or his family could watch a lot of TV and he could have incorporated things he saw on TV into his fantasy. But that's no fun.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Sure, or his family could watch a lot of TV and he could have incorporated things he saw on TV into his fantasy. But that's no fun.
Whoa. St. Elsewhere is a TV show in another fictional world, as seen/interpreted by an autistic child.

My head hurts...
Old 11-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

No. St. Elsewhere could have been purely his imagination but the crossover with Cheers, for example, may be something he got from watching TV.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:07 PM

I'm sorry I acknowledge this is a little lazy of me but can someone explain to me real quick: What is a quick way to find out how a particular show is connected to all this? For example, apparently somehow Breaking Bad ends up mixed up in the network of shows, but I don't see an explanation as to how this is so.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
I'm sorry I acknowledge this is a little lazy of me but can someone explain to me real quick: What is a quick way to find out how a particular show is connected to all this? For example, apparently somehow Breaking Bad ends up mixed up in the network of shows, but I don't see an explanation as to how this is so.
The only thing I can think of that even remotely has a crossover with Breaking Bad is The Walking Dead and that's a stretch.

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/03/break...-dead-prequel/
Quote:
The season four episode of The Walking Dead, “Still,” sees Daryl recounting an anecdote about his brother Merle’s dealer. And his description sounds like a certain short, bald meth dealer out of New Mexico.

Speaking of Merle’s stash, season two sees Daryl’s big brother’s bag of drugs making an appearance as the group attempts to deal with T-Dog’s fever. And at the bottom of the bag? Does that look like a bunch of blue crystals?

Weird.

But it all starts with Walt’s shiny pair of wheels in season four, a Dodge Charger which Skyler made him return so that his new ride wouldn’t draw attention to the family business. Well, guess what is the name of the general manager of the dealership? That’s right, everyone’s favorite fleet-footed survivor, Glenn, who is seen driving the same car in the first season of The Walking Dead.
I have no idea how The Walking Dead would connect to St. Elsewhere.
(Better Call Saul obviously relates to BB but that can't be the connection since it hasn't premiered yet.)
Old 11-28-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
I asked this in one of the other threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
What's the Munch connection with Breaking Bad? Sorry, I've read the Westphall's mind Wiki link before, but not recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post
St. Elsewhere → Homicide: LOS via Victor Ehrlich; Homicide: LOS → X-Files via Munch; X-Files → BB via Cradock Marine Bank; and BB → WD through Blue Sky, as was just pointed out in a thread here yesterday.
From Googling, Fox Mulder had an account at Cradock Marine, and in BB "Cradock Marine Bank is a bank, a branch of which is used by Dan Wachsberger to deposit hazard pay for the families of Mike's "nine guys" and Kaylee Ehrmantraut."

Last edited by dasmoocher; 11-28-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow. My links really got messed up. The first one was supposed to be this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhCyXui0e_Q

It's too late for me to edit it. Maybe a mod can fix it.
Done.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
And it's no longer Tommy Westphall's World-It is now Tommy Westphall's Universe, it seems.
They forgot one, the most compelling one of all which proves that reality itself exists only in Tommy's fevered imagination...

Cops

Remember, the X-Files had a cross-over episode with Cops, which means that Cops is a figment of Tommy's imagination. But if Cops... a reality TV show that is based on real-world arrests... is in the Tommyverse, we all are.

... Whoa...

Last edited by JohnT; 11-28-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
They forgot one, the most compelling one of all which proves that reality itself exists only in Tommy's fevered imagination...

Cops

Remember, the X-Files had a cross-over episode with Cops, which means that Cops is a figment of Tommy's imagination. But if Cops... a reality TV show that is based on real-world arrests... is in the Tommyverse, we all are.

... Whoa...
So then... he imagined a universe that contains a TV show about him imagining a universe that...
Old 11-28-2014, 03:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
So then... he imagined a universe that contains a TV show about him imagining a universe that...
Tommy Westphall imagined himself into existence.
Tommy Westphall is, for all intents and purposes, God.

Mods, can we have this thread moved to Great Debates, please?
Old 11-28-2014, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Tommy Westphall imagined himself into existence.
Tommy Westphall is, for all intents and purposes, God.

Mods, can we have this thread moved to Great Debates, please?
Could Tommy Westphall be... Bob?
http://tommywestphall.wikia.com/wiki/Twin_Peaks
Old 11-28-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post

Cops

... Whoa...
They are missing quite a lot of shows, really. The master list (linked above) has 375 shows, while the wiki only has articles for 111 of them.

And while your theory is fun, it doesn't really fit. For a crossover to count, both have to be non-fictional within the other show's universe. Since the COPS universe is our universe, and X-files is fictional in our universe, it doesn't count. The same thing applies when shows and movies crossover with talk shows. We don't suddenly think South Park is real because they has a bit set on Conan's show, or because the Simpsons have appeared on David Letterman, right?

Of course, it's all in fun, so you can do what you want. But that's what I imagine the "serious" fans would say.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:21 AM

What I'd like to know is the continuing fascination with this minuscule bit of classic TV trivia...in particular, how everyone not only feels compelled to take it so, so, SO seriously (I've not seen one "geez, get a life, you guys" comment anywhere), but to map out each and every thread with the last least tiniest bit of possible relevance. I mean, I understand the desire to get worked up into a foaming-at-the-mouth overanalytical lather over certain subjects (case in point...well, me ), but I've seen a hundred screwball twists like this on TV. TV has pretty much always been weird. I see something like KITT jumping 15 feet into the air with no visible means of propulsion or Sarah McKenzie getting psychic visions, and I'm like "whoa...okay, then". Making this big Tommy Westphall list strikes me as a massive, endless treasure hunt with no prize at the end. It just doesn't strike me as rewarding.

And honestly, I think there's a really simple explanation for the ending. St. Elsewhere is, in fact, fictional, but the vast majority of the events happening in it weren't some little boy's delusions. When the dad says "who knows what's going on in his mind", the implication is that nobody knows. I mean, think about it: what would an autistic boy know about medical terminology in the first place? The stories are works of fiction created by a talented writing staff, unrelated to whatever this kid's been dreaming.

Here, I'll put it another way: Suppose one day this boy, who's a big boxing fan, writes out a fantasy about an unknown, spurred on by the recent death of a family member, getting the shot of his life against the world heavyweight champion who's this terrifying force of nature believed by many to be utterly unbeatable. And the unknown gets pounded early, even getting knocked down, but manages to pull it together and score an unbelievable knockout and score the upset of the decade. Couple months later, Buster Douglas knocks out Mike Tyson. Wow, that must mean that the entire sport of boxing is a fantasy! Er...no. The underdog prevailing over the invincible champ is a common fantasy, an incredibly common trope, in fact. That a young boxing fan would come up with it is nothing special, and that real life would more or less follow suit at some unspecified point in the future is just a happy coincidence. (None other than Sports Illustrated had the headline "Rocky Lives".) In fact, this wouldn't even qualify as a neat coincidence since Tyson was clearly overconfident and unprepared, allowing Douglas to frustrate him for most of the fight; he wasn't in any particular trouble prior to that knockdown.

Bottom line, every TV show exists in someone's imagination. That's part of what makes it so appealing. And I think getting all up in arms over one random little boy's imagination is giving him way too much credit.

Oh, as for Newhart...in hindsight, and especially given how completely universally adored that ending was, I think the truth is nobody ever truly bought the show. I didn't see the original Bob Newhart Show, but from what I've heard it was quite popular...so much so, in fact, that his fans flat-out refused to ever accept him in any other role. Typecasting, FanDumb, whichever. The final episode effectively stated that this was his one and only role, this was all he was and all he would ever be forever and ever, and anything you see to the contrary is just a crazy dream. That he never had any really major TV role after Newhart (yeah, I checked) supports this assessment.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:55 AM

This whole theory started in '02. Ironically, given how it's used as a semi-serious (if still funny) bit of trivia now, it was a reductio ad absurdum. The post was about how crossovers affected comic books, and the St. Elsewhere example was meant to show that that way lies madness.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
Making this big Tommy Westphall list strikes me as a massive, endless treasure hunt with no prize at the end. It just doesn't strike me as rewarding.
I think your overthinking it. Its just a fun game. Basically a more recent version of the Sherlokian Game, or Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. The faux-seriousness is part of the fun.

Last edited by Simplicio; 11-29-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
For a crossover to count, both have to be non-fictional within the other show's universe.
I would think the defining criterion be only in one direction. St. Elsewhere being real in the Cheers universe would mean Cheers was included. But someone from another show being in the St. Elsewhere show wouldn't matter, since as mentioned above, that could just mean Tommy saw that TV show.

Czarcasm's link to Tommy Westphall's Universe doesn't seem to distinguish those two cases, from what I can tell. They have it as either one being non-fictional in the other, which is too permissive.

It seems there would be three possible lists, then, depending on what you believe is required.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:37 AM

Didn't it get resolved in the episode where all those characters woke up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette?
Old 11-29-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
But where did All Those Zombies come from, then? Or maybe it's All Us Zombies...
Old 11-29-2014, 09:27 AM

I thought Glenn on TWD delivered pizzas for a living - he was general manager of a car dealership?

And I know autistic kids are supposed to be silent geniuses and prodigies trapped inside, but I always wondered how that autistic kid could possibly imagine that whole other world of St. Elsewhere. I should think he'd be too busy counting slats on the blinds or something more autistic kidlike.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post

Or that, you know, he had seen an episode of Cheers and incorporated it into his fantasy. He was fanficing before fanficing was cool!
Old 11-29-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Or that, you know, he had seen an episode of Cheers and incorporated it into his fantasy. He was fanficing before fanficing was cool!
From Skywatcher's link (which I incorrectly called Czarcasm's link in my earleir post):
Quote:
In "Cheers", doctors Westphall, Craig and Auschlander pop into the bar from Cheers for a drink, meeting Carla (Rhea Perlman), Norm (George Wendt) and Cliff (John Ratzenberger) in the process.
So in the show Cheers, the St. elsewhere doctors appear. How can that be Tommy's fantasy? There's a difference between St. elsewhere appearing in some other show, and some other show appearing in St. elsewhere.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:06 PM

What if the dream was fan-fiction?
Old 11-30-2014, 02:29 AM

 If we shadows have offended,
 Think but this, and all is mended—
 That you have but slumbered here
 While these visions did appear.
 And this weak and idle theme,
 No more yielding but a dream
Old 11-30-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBeam View Post
From Skywatcher's link (which I incorrectly called Czarcasm's link in my earleir post):
So in the show Cheers, the St. elsewhere doctors appear. How can that be Tommy's fantasy? There's a difference between St. elsewhere appearing in some other show, and some other show appearing in St. elsewhere.
Didn't the crossover happen on St. Elsewhere?

Last edited by dasmoocher; 11-30-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So in the show Cheers, the St. elsewhere doctors appear. How can that be Tommy's fantasy?
The theory is that any show with a crossover is part of Tommy's fantasy.

So, the doctors visit Cheers, Frasier is a spin-off from Cheers, Niles and Daphne made a cameo appearance in Caroline in the City, thus the conclusion is that CITC is Tommy's dream.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
Didn't the crossover happen on St. Elsewhere?
That does change things, and TBG's point is valid. I thought that 'In "Cheers"' meant in the show Cheers, but re-reading, I guess it's the title of the St. Elsewhere episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris
The theory is that any show with a crossover is part of Tommy's fantasy.
I guess that's the theory, but it seems unjustified. In Babylon 5, one of the characters likes Daffy Duck, but that doesn't make Babylon 5 a cartoon.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

That's a completely different thing. Daffy Duck is fictional within B5*. But Cheers is real within St Elsewhere.

Also, they've excluded cartoons, hence The Simpsons is excluded, even though it has crossed over with Cheers and X-files.

*I assume. Unless he actually visited the station.

Last edited by Peter Morris; 11-30-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
That's a completely different thing. Daffy Duck is fictional within B5*. But Cheers is real within St Elsewhere.
isn't the point of the ending that essentially all of St. Elsewhere is fictional?

Regardless, having an autistic kid imagine something about a TV show is not at all the same as having St. Elsewhere appear in that show. Just counting all crossovers is kind of pointless.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Because the characters from St. Elsewhere only exist in Tommy's mind. If they appear in a show, then that show must also be a part of Tommy's mind.

That's how crossover universes work. If a character from one show exists in another show, then both shows take place in the same universe. They are applying this logic to Tommy's dream.

Of course, the flaw with doing that is that Tommy could just be dreaming about real people, or even be dreaming about a TV show he watched, mixing in other characters that may or may not be real. This works whether it's someone appearing in St. Elsewhere or someone from St. Elsewhere appearing elsewhere.

When I was a kid, I had a dream about the villain characters from the Babes in Toyland with Drew Barrymore. They were in my kitchen, and my mom made us eat breakfast before they could terrorize me. My kitchen and mother are real, and those villains do not exist in the same universe.

Crossover rules really only works if everything is real relative to the respective universes. That's why people "cheat" in with Tommy's universe. They establish that something is in the same universe as St. Elsewhere as if it is real in its own universe, but then use the last episode to say it isn't real. If you acknowledge that St. Elsewhere (save the last few minutes) isn't really the entire time, the whole thing breaks down, as I have already illustrated.

That's why I said it's just a bunch of people having fun, and that you can make your own rules. Mine is that, other than St. Elsewhere itself, all parts must be real in both universes. Otherwise, things shown to just be on TV in one universe count.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:58 PM

So, since Cheers exists as part of Tommy's mind, and Cliff appeared on Jeopardy!, does that mean Alex Trebek is a figment of Tommy's imagination, also?

Whoa! Mind blown.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No. You have it backwards. On the show St. Elsewhere, the doctors went to Cheers.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Fanficing (is that a word now?) has been around at least since Doyle wrote about Sherlock Holmes. It became really big with Star Trek.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
No. You have it backwards. On the show St. Elsewhere, the doctors went to Cheers.
Yes, I admitted that a couple posts ago.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:35 PM

It's probably worth pointing out that one of the traits of autism is impaired social development. To accept the Tommy Westphall hypothesis is to accept that all of the TV shows that you enjoy watching were written by a child with a poor understanding of human interaction.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
And I know autistic kids are supposed to be silent geniuses and prodigies trapped inside, but I always wondered how that autistic kid could possibly imagine that whole other world of St. Elsewhere. I should think he'd be too busy counting slats on the blinds or something more autistic kidlike.
Autistic kids are not silent geniuses, but they do more than count blinds. They have the same kinds of likes and dislikes as other people. I know lots of autistic people from the work I used to to.

One thing I do know is that autistic people sometimes have trouble distinguishing people's faces (if you think back to when you were about three, and many adults looked alike, that's how it is, more or less).

Anyway, here's how I resolve it: Tommy likes the TV show St. Elsewhere because two characters look a lot like his father and his main caregiver, and he really can't distinguish between them. His father once found a snowglobe with the St. Elsewhere hospital in it (it's a famous show, so why not?) and bought it for Tommy, who sometimes relives episodes he's seen, and occasionally projects himself into them when he looks at the snowglobe.

Yes, I know that's not what the writers intended, but aside from screwing up all television forever, the writers know crap about autism, so I'm sticking with my version.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:43 PM

I can't see the connection, but the list posted includes Buffy. An episode of Buffy raises the possibility that the whole show is going on inside Buffy's head. So that means the kid from St Elsewhere is fantasizing about a girl fantasizing...

Thank god they don't include cartoons. Cheers crossed over with the Simpsons, which in turn crossed over with Family Guy, Futurama, King of the Hill, Bob's Burgers... The list just gets bigger.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsThen View Post
I can't see the connection, but the list posted includes Buffy. An episode of Buffy raises the possibility that the whole show is going on inside Buffy's head. So that means the kid from St Elsewhere is fantasizing about a girl fantasizing...
I think in either that episode or an episode referencing it, they namedrop St. Elsewhere. As in "so you think this is like St. Elsewhere or something?" It shouldn't really count, because St. Elsewhere is clearly a fictional show in their universe.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

The connection is through Morley cigarettes, apparently.

http://tommywestphall.wikia.com/wiki...Vampire_Slayer
Old 12-02-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
The connection is through Morley cigarettes, apparently.

http://tommywestphall.wikia.com/wiki...Vampire_Slayer

Yeah, I don't like product connections. Too easy to be a coincidence or even direct ripoff.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Fanficing (is that a word now?) has been around at least since Doyle wrote about Sherlock Holmes. It became really big with Star Trek.
It might have been around, but was it cool?
Old 12-05-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Fanficing has been around since all of the interminable Romance of the Three Kingdoms spinoffs in 14th century China. Writing fanfics about that was, I'm fairly sure, the national sport.