Geographical oddities (another thread)

Done this before, but I was just looking at a map and a few occurred to me.

1. Where does the water in Niagara Falls come from, and where does it go?

From Lake Erie into Lake Ontario. I don’t know why I have this idea it’s on a river that spills more or less directly into the ocean.

1. You’re in Detroit, heaven help you. To escape across the river to Windsor, Ontario, you drive what direction?

Due south. I find that weird every time I notice it.

1. True or False: New Jersey is west of New York.

False, of course; Joisey is 99% south of Noo Yawk. But if you guessed wrong it’s probably because you think that tight zoom on Manhattan represents the whole.

I probably mentioned this one before, but it’s a good winner in bar trivia:

Which direction do you travel in order to transit the Panama Canal from the Atlantic to the Pacific?

Southeast. Weird, ain’t it?

Might have posted this one recently, too, but hey, sue me… :slight_smile:

1. North Brother Island, West Brother Island, East Brother Island and South Brother Island are separated by what?

Less than one mile OR the continental US. North/South are in New York Harbor; East/West are in San Francisco Bay.

Duplicate.

Okay, there you go. Why did you need two?

Well technically it comes from the Niagara river and goes into the Niagara river.

There a region in what US State where 4 different US states are within 30 miles.

[spoiler]Extreme SE Missouri near New Madrid,

if you go NE, you will be in Illinois,
If you go East, you are in Kentucky,
if you got Southeast, you are in Tennessee,
and if you go WestSouthWest, you will be in Arkansas.

There are spots in Maryland (near Baltimore) that are within 50-60 miles of VA, NJ, DE, PA and WV
[/spoiler]

nm, misread

I find seemingly odd that, if you want to fly the shortest route from Los Angeles to Johannisburg, SA, you start out with your plane pointing slightly north east.

An old favourite: closest US state to Africa?

Maine

Which European capital city is New York City closest in latitude to?

Madrid

Most northern state of the lower 48?

Minnesota

Name all eight countries that have land territory above the Arctic Circle

United States
Canada
Denmark
Iceland
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Russia

What’s odd about that?

T or F: All of Illinois lies east of the Mississippi River.

Which state has the highest coastline-to-border ratio?

Hawaii.

You’re in the center of the city of Los Algodones, Baja California, Mexico. What’s the first foreign country you hit if you go due north? Due south? Due east? Due west?

The US, for all 4 directions.

What state has a portion of itself that cannot be reached from the rest of the state, by land, water, or air without traveling through another state?

Kentucky, with its famous Kentucky Bend.

I also find it amusing that parts of Canada are further south than parts of California.

Most people don’t think about Denmark, because they think it is mostly a peninsula right above Germany.

Ah. I’ve known that Greenland belonged to Denmark since I was a kid. The only one I was doubtful on was Iceland.